These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

thinking of getting a new pc

Author
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#41 - 2014-08-22 01:47:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Tippia wrote:
For just playing a bit of (good old non-threaded) EVE? Yes.
An overclocked 4820K is particularly over the top.

I suppose it could be useful if he wanted to record, edit, and encode video of him playing EVE, though…

I do all that just fine with the machine I built, with an i3.

Sure, it can be done. But video production — and especially the final rendering and encoding — is one of those rare cases where more is more as far as CPU goes. Since it's just a big, trivially parallelisable, non-linear, non-realtime maths problem, throwing as much power as possible (preferably backed by a bit of memory) at it makes it go away a hell of a lot faster.

…but then again, you could always just have two sandwiches instead of one while waiting and save the extra cost. P
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#42 - 2014-08-22 01:49:20 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Tippia wrote:
For just playing a bit of (good old non-threaded) EVE? Yes.
An overclocked 4820K is particularly over the top.

I suppose it could be useful if he wanted to record, edit, and encode video of him playing EVE, though…

I do all that just fine with the machine I built, with an i3.

Sure, it can be done. But video production — and especially the final rendering and encoding — is one of those rare cases where more is more as far as CPU goes. Since it's just a big, non-linear, non-realtime maths problem, throwing as much power as possible (preferably backed by a bit of memory) at it makes it go away a hell of a lot faster.

…but then again, you could always just have two sandwiches instead of one while waiting and save the extra cost. P

Never not have more sandwich. Especially bacon sandwich P

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#43 - 2014-08-22 01:52:17 UTC
Remiel Pollard wrote:

You'd get an awful lot of bacon for the price difference between i3 and i7, so you'd pretty much have to at that point.
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#44 - 2014-08-22 01:57:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Remiel Pollard
Tippia wrote:
Remiel Pollard wrote:

You'd get an awful lot of bacon for the price difference between i3 and i7, so you'd pretty much have to at that point.

Honestly, when it comes to gaming though, I wanted to spend more money on the GPU than the CPU. Speaking of which, mine will be getting an upgrade once I've done that hard drive. The 660 does the job I want it to, but it could be better.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Mina Sebiestar
Minmatar Inner Space Conglomerate
#45 - 2014-08-22 04:33:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Mina Sebiestar
NEONOVUS wrote:
WHat would you recomend for a replacement laptop?
The one I have now is an MSI GT780 DXR, but it managed to reduce the stock thermal paste to a dull blue grey GPU covering (IE I hit the breakdown point under normal load repeatedly)

You want dual fan cooling solution laptops that way both gpu and cpu have dedicated fans that dont share heatsinks.

Cooler by a lot quiet as well do t go slim versions you will shorten lifespan of components by half.

Have i7 , 870gtx m 6gb , 24gb ram pulls single client over 500fps.

You choke behind a smile a fake behind the fear

Because >>I is too hard

Van Steiza
Whale Girth
Arkhos Peace Training Support Division
#46 - 2014-08-22 04:41:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Van Steiza
They will way overcharge you for that machine.

The graphics cared is a piece of **** in comparison to the cpu which is overkill.

You could get by with an I7 4770k Amd 290x 8Gb Ram a mobo and good case. If you build it yourself you will save yourself a good few hundred dollars less than it would cost you to buy from Alienware.

The only reason they cost more is because they stick there name on the case and its built by them.

270x is a piece of **** stacking that graphics card alongside that cpu is bad.

Its like having a Pentium 1 with a Evga 780Ti O_o.

A high end cpu with a medium to low end graphics card haha and they will charge you over 1k for it.
Erufen Rito
The Dark Space Initiative
Scary Wormhole People
#47 - 2014-08-22 09:11:13 UTC
I will be buying this soon enough.

http://www.msimobile.com/level3_productpage.aspx?id=453

Mind you, I am also planning to run Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous on there, along everything else on my Steam and ofcourse, multibox Eve.

I will, however, downgrade it to Win7 if i can find the correct drivers for the important bits. If not, I will cry myself to sleep after every gaming session using Win8.

This is as nice as I get. Best quote ever https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=4137165#post4137165

Sneekeypete NZXT
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#48 - 2014-08-22 12:18:24 UTC
Rodric O'Connor wrote:
hi every one was hoping you guys could help a bit im thinking of getting a new pc and ive been thinking about an alienware aurora (and before some of you try to tack my head i've heard every thing that ppl say about alienware)

it has:
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4820K Processor (4-cores, 10MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.2 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
GPU:AMD Radeon(TM) R9 270 with 2GB GDDR5
RAM:8192MB (4x2GB) 1600MHz DDR3 Quad Channel
memory:1TB SATA 6Gb/s (7200RPM) 32MB Cache

now i like to know if i can max out eve using it or do i have to pay out 200 to 300 euro more to do so

Hey man, don't do it. The new generation of Intel Haswell-E CPU's are coming out in a few days. In Quarter 1 of 2015 DDR4 RAM will be going mainstream.

Haswell-E CPU's are 6 core and 8 core hyperthreaded at 4ghz + and DDR4 does double what DDR3 can currently do. Also buying alienware is just not smart you are over paying by $800-$2000 depending on what you get.
Elisiist Aldent
Vertex Armada
No Forks Given
#49 - 2014-08-22 12:25:19 UTC
Build your own! Its not hard... I have around $1,000 in my computer and it beats out most $1,500 computers.

Zalman Z11 Tower
MSI Z77a-G45 GAMING Mainboard
MSI GTX660 OC GAMING GPU
Intel i5-3450 CPU
Corsair Vengence 8GB RAM (can't remember speed off top of my head)
OCZ 128GB SATA6 (also known as SATA-iii) SSD
WD 2TB HDD
550watt PSU (more than enough to run this set up)
Corsair heatsink
Windows 7 OS
and a cheap CD/DVD drive since I use the thing to install the OS and the drivers for the motherboard.. and thats it.

Roughly a Grand or less. Saved so much money building this thing myself I was able to afford a $200 headset (Tritton Pro+)
Sneekeypete NZXT
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#50 - 2014-08-22 12:59:36 UTC
If you want to spend Alienware money and get something better than what Alienware would give you then here is the build for you. For $1329.91 (US Dollars) you get the following: (And other forumites feel free to try and beat this build).

Antec Nine Hundred ATX Case $99.99
ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer LGA 1150 Intel Z97 Motherboard $124.99
Intel Core I7-4790k Haswell Quad Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150 CPU $339.99
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler $34.99
G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB (2x4gb) 240-pin DDR-3 1600MHz $79.99
EVGA GTX 760 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 Superclocked Graphics Card $249.99
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD HD $139.99
Western DIgital Velociraptor 600GB 10k RPM Hard Disk $129.99
CORSAIR HX750, 750watt Modular Gold Rated PSU $129.99

This rig would last you the next 4-6 years at a minimum, however if you can I'd highly suggest waiting till the new Haswell-E Intel processors come out and DDR4 comes out and comes down in a price (probably February or March 2015).
Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#51 - 2014-08-22 13:16:24 UTC
I wonder why people still buy huge tower cases and ATX/EATX motherboards in a day and age where optical drives (when's the last time you burned a disc?) and loads of expansion cards aren't necessary.

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Sneekeypete NZXT
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#52 - 2014-08-22 13:16:28 UTC
Elisiist Aldent wrote:
Build your own! Its not hard... I have around $1,000 in my computer and it beats out most $1,500 computers.

Zalman Z11 Tower
MSI Z77a-G45 GAMING Mainboard
MSI GTX660 OC GAMING GPU
Intel i5-3450 CPU
Corsair Vengence 8GB RAM (can't remember speed off top of my head)
OCZ 128GB SATA6 (also known as SATA-iii) SSD
WD 2TB HDD
550watt PSU (more than enough to run this set up)
Corsair heatsink
Windows 7 OS
and a cheap CD/DVD drive since I use the thing to install the OS and the drivers for the motherboard.. and thats it.

Roughly a Grand or less. Saved so much money building this thing myself I was able to afford a $200 headset (Tritton Pro+)

I stopped giving your post any validity when i saw you put MSI in your build. Yuck.
Bluespot85
What IU Doing
Brothers of Tangra
#53 - 2014-08-22 14:56:42 UTC
So something like this with the haswell, windows 7, good thermal paste and a bronze psw would be a good choice for someone like myself who wants to buy a complete system?

http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Fusion-Nebula-Haswell-PC.html

Blue
Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#54 - 2014-08-22 15:08:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Doc Fury
Andski wrote:
I wonder why people still buy huge tower cases and ATX/EATX motherboards in a day and age where optical drives (when's the last time you burned a disc?) and loads of expansion cards aren't necessary.

I love these so much, and you can play EVE on them. Dual 24" monitors is not a problem. Supposedly supports 4k displays but I don't have one

It almost fits in your pocket, and can run on 12V DC.

i5
16GB RAM
256GB SSD

Costs about $650 to put together, an extra $30 if you want wi-fi. Also makes a great "parents" computer as it comes with a VESA mounting plate so you can attach it to the back of a monitor and never see it.

Oh yeah, the best part, it consumes about 20-25W of power when under full load and is farking silent.

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#55 - 2014-08-22 15:12:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Andski wrote:

Ease of assembly, universal compatibility, and dreams of one day stuffing 50 petabyte worth of drives in there. P
In fact, “some day…” is probably a surprisingly big part of it: some day, you'll have two double-slot-wide cards SLI:d, and a hardware capture card for streaming, and you'll replace all of the parts over and over and want them to fit and… and… and… (never mind that not even a fraction of it will happen).

As for optical drives, I don't burn them (often) other than to deliver some media as a fall-back presentation or as an alternative to when they're skittish about USB drives. I also rip a fair amount… but even so, you're right: you might as well have that one external these days. And hell, even if you want an internal one, there are enough slim or vertically-mounted models that size shouldn't an issue anyway.

Oh, and quietly cooling those cases is also a fair bit easier. Again, grr, noise 🔇

Sneekeypete NZXT wrote:
Hey man, don't do it. The new generation of Intel Haswell-E CPU's are coming out in a few days. In Quarter 1 of 2015 DDR4 RAM will be going mainstream.
While there's something to be said about that, this thinking will also quickly lead you to never actually buying a computer. The next great thing is always a month away, and if you want to make use of it, you have to wait a month and a half to have all the other parts updated to work with that new tech.

How many DDR4 mobos are out right now? What new tech will be just months away and not be supported in half a year when they do come out?

Great fans, though. P
NEONOVUS
Mindstar Technology
Goonswarm Federation
#56 - 2014-08-22 15:16:19 UTC
Mina Sebiestar wrote:
NEONOVUS wrote:
The one I have now is an MSI GT780 DXR, but it managed to reduce the stock thermal paste to a dull blue grey GPU covering (IE I hit the breakdown point under normal load repeatedly)

You want dual fan cooling solution laptops that way both gpu and cpu have dedicated fans that dont share heatsinks.

Cooler by a lot quiet as well do t go slim versions you will shorten lifespan of components by half.

And what do you use?
Also please be under 1500 USD, lie to me if you have to
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#57 - 2014-08-22 15:27:19 UTC
Doc Fury wrote:
I love these so much, and you can play EVE on them. Dual 24" monitors is not a problem. Supposedly supports 4k displays but I don't have one

i5
16GB RAM
256GB SSD

Costs about $650 to put together, an extra $30 if you want wi-fi. Also makes a great "parents" computer as it comes with a VESA mounting plate so you can attach it to the back of a monitor and never see it.

Oh yeah, the best part, it consumes about 20-25W of power when under full load and is farking silent.

Yeah, it's fun how the laptop revolution has found its way back onto the desktop with boxes like those and the Mac Mini. Apple occasionally suggest that they started it with the Mini, which might be overreaching it slightly, but they certainly popularised it in a highly visible segment.

There's now enough oomph in a small package that you can do proper work on them and still allow for the workspace of a regular old workstation setup — multiple monitors, a decent array of full-sized peripherals, etc.
Mina Sebiestar
Minmatar Inner Space Conglomerate
#58 - 2014-08-22 15:35:40 UTC
NEONOVUS wrote:
Mina Sebiestar wrote:
NEONOVUS wrote:

And what do you use?
Also please be under 1500 USD, lie to me if you have to

Mine was 1400 usd about 3 months ago but with single 8g ram stick and fps was with that specs ram upgrade came in later, did not check it after that.

I am on phone cant link it will do it later this day, you can look at republic of gamers laptops(asus rog) they all should be dual fan booted.

Msi I think did release dual fans laptops in last month or so just don't go for ghost series, from them.those are slim form factors often with limited ram soldered in motherboard gpu integrated batteries often no dvd reader/burner etc.

You choke behind a smile a fake behind the fear

Because >>I is too hard

Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#59 - 2014-08-22 17:24:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Andski
Doc Fury wrote:
Andski wrote:

i5
16GB RAM
256GB SSD

Even if you want to play graphics-intensive games you can still build a pretty small gaming PC with cases like this considering that small form factor motherboards and graphics cards exist. You can even fit a full-sized graphics card in that thing.

You simply don't need expansion cards beyond graphics anymore except in limited cases. I don't think most people even use optical drives after the OS installation (which can be done with a USB flash drive anyway)

If you buy a full/mid-size ATX case, chances are you're going to have several 5.25"/3.5" bays that you will never remove the blanks from. You might have a DVD burner that you carried over from your old build, but that's basically it. Your motherboard will have loads of expansion slots that you will never use, save for the PCI-E x16 for your graphics card. There's really no point in buying a "roomy" case if it's going to be mostly empty.

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

ashley Eoner
#60 - 2014-08-22 20:51:39 UTC
Andski wrote:

Yesterday actually...

Just because you're not a power user doesn't mean they don't exist.

I like "huge towers" because I actually use my system heavily. I like having components that run heavily OCed and last for +5 years because they are properly cooled (and quietly at that as my "huge case" has big slow moving fans). I like being able to upgrade items. I have machines still in service that are over 6 years old.

I use my cases fully and I'm guessing that as a casual user you don't..