These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

thinking of getting a new pc

Author
Gor Yo
Taxes Shmuckses
#21 - 2014-08-21 13:45:33 UTC
get an SSD for your games and maybe OS, keep the rest of the crap on HDD. SSD's are getting dirt cheap these days.
Grim Hood
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#22 - 2014-08-21 13:46:02 UTC
I have similar specs and I run two EVE clients while recording in 1080p with no frame rate issues.
Jarod Garamonde
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#23 - 2014-08-21 14:44:05 UTC
Rodric O'Connor wrote:
hi every one was hoping you guys could help a bit im thinking of getting a new pc and ive been thinking about an alienware aurora (and before some of you try to tack my head i've heard every thing that ppl say about alienware)

it has:
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4820K Processor (4-cores, 10MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.2 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
GPU:AMD Radeon(TM) R9 270 with 2GB GDDR5
RAM:8192MB (4x2GB) 1600MHz DDR3 Quad Channel
memory:1TB SATA 6Gb/s (7200RPM) 32MB Cache

now i like to know if i can max out eve using it or do i have to pay out 200 to 300 euro more to do so

You can get those same specs for a lot cheaper out of a custom-built PC.
Mine cost 800$, and it FAR outpaces that store-bought pile of overpriced trash.

That moment when you realize the crazy lady with all the cats was right...

[#savethelance]
Altirius Saldiaro
Doomheim
#24 - 2014-08-21 16:04:20 UTC
Build your own pc.

www.pcpartpicker.com

Pick your parts, get views of good deals and reviews on the parts. Site also lets you know if something is or isnt compatible.

Ill never buy another prebuilt, name branded pc, over priced PC ever again. Custom built is the best way to go.
Carmen Electra
AlcoDOTTE
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#25 - 2014-08-21 16:31:11 UTC
i7 quad-core is overkill? What?
Rayo Atra
Guardians of the Volatile Wine
#26 - 2014-08-21 16:37:21 UTC
yes an i7 is overkill for gaming you will not take advantage of half of the price point. I was going to chime in here, but it seems you are getting decent advice.

I have run a custom PC shop for years, if you really need direct advice, feel free to inbox me in game. But you are getting solid advice, a big plastic Chinese built proprietary rig, will be expensive, short lived, and wasteful.

Tell you what I do like though: A killer. A dyed-in-the-wool killer. Cold-blooded, clean, methodical and thorough.

-Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#27 - 2014-08-21 16:43:46 UTC
Carmen Electra wrote:

For just playing a bit of (good old non-threaded) EVE? Yes.
An overclocked 4820K is particularly over the top.

I suppose it could be useful if he wanted to record, edit, and encode video of him playing EVE, though…
Rodric O'Connor
Dark Evolved Industries
Dark Taboo
#28 - 2014-08-21 16:51:42 UTC
thx for all your input

Jean-Paul Sartre once said “People are like dice. We throw ourselves in the direction of our own choosing.” these words are so true in eve

Drago Shouna
Doomheim
#29 - 2014-08-21 17:08:19 UTC
I have a new Alienware desktop.

It runs 3 clients of EVE like a dream. At the same time I can have my (obligatory) fb games running as well. With no problems at all. I have an I7 processor, 16 gig ram, 2tb hard drive and 2g graphics.

Before that I had a Dell xp series laptop with a i7, 4g ram and a 17 inch screen which ran 3 EVE clients. The reason I got a new one (a few weeks ago) was that when I coupled those clients with a couple of fb games it ran a little hot.

Get one, it's great for EVE or any game.

Solecist Project...." They refuse to play by the rules and laws of the game and use it as excuse ..." " They don't care about how you play as long as they get to play how they want."

Welcome to EVE.

Phoenix Jones
Small-Arms Fire
#30 - 2014-08-21 17:21:09 UTC
Second the local shop vs buying an Alienware. You'll save cash and have a better pc, but you are your own support

Yaay!!!!

Antaria Wildsun
Massive Impact
#31 - 2014-08-21 18:08:23 UTC
I am not a computer guy, but I bit the bullet and built my own and it is worlds better and cheaper than the Alienware I had before. It is a little scary looking at a table full of pc parts you spent a ton of cash on and not knowing if you can get it all together, but it really isnt terribly difficult. I bought my parts at a local shop and the guys there were a huge help in picking out parts and explaining things I didn't quite grasp. Im using a i5-3570k cpu with 16gb of ram on a middle of the road graphics card and it can easily run 3 clients on 3 27" monitors.
Mina Sebiestar
Minmatar Inner Space Conglomerate
#32 - 2014-08-21 18:14:44 UTC
Lothras Andastar wrote:
That CPU is overkill for anything but heavy workstation use.

Try out http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/ and be amazed at how much cheaper it is

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/8x4hvK This build will blow that alienware **** out the water for a fraction of the price

That SSD died on me after week of use if you are buying it dish out few more bucks go for better name samsung or something.

to the op ram is a bit lowish and try to pick n vidia if possible I know it might not be an option when I was doing research for laptop purchase I couldn't get what I wanted but what is offered and ended up not buying from them.

You choke behind a smile a fake behind the fear

Because >>I is too hard

ashley Eoner
#33 - 2014-08-21 18:43:36 UTC  |  Edited by: ashley Eoner
Rodric O'Connor wrote:
hi every one was hoping you guys could help a bit im thinking of getting a new pc and ive been thinking about an alienware aurora (and before some of you try to tack my head i've heard every thing that ppl say about alienware)

it has:
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4820K Processor (4-cores, 10MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.2 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
GPU:AMD Radeon(TM) R9 270 with 2GB GDDR5
RAM:8192MB (4x2GB) 1600MHz DDR3 Quad Channel
memory:1TB SATA 6Gb/s (7200RPM) 32MB Cache

now i like to know if i can max out eve using it or do i have to pay out 200 to 300 euro more to do so

Alienware is nothing more then an overpriced dell. THey use the same cheap low quality components in systems labeled Alienware as they do in the cheap desktops they sell. The Alienware laptops are exactly the same as the inspiron laptops.

Alienware hasn't been a worthy namebrand since dell bought it.

You're far better off just spending 15 minutes to build your own.

Then again you don't even know if an i7 can max out eve so obviously your computer knowledge is severely lacking...

THe built in graphics on that CPU should be able to run eve flawlessly at 1920x1200..

I can run 10 eve clients on a dual core system with an old 5700 series graphics card....

Personally I would aim for 16 GB of RAM. I regret going with only 8 when I built my fx6300 system
Bluespot85
What IU Doing
Brothers of Tangra
#34 - 2014-08-21 18:44:50 UTC
Hi all

I'm also thinking about getting a new pc though the thought of building my own fills me with dread. Dont get me wrong, i'd love to be able to build my own pc but im not a computer guy.

I've been looking at these 2 systems and would like your opinions.

http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Fusion-Nebula-Haswell-PC.html

&

http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default.aspx?PAGE=PRODUCTCONFIGPAGE&USG=PRODUCT&ENT=PRODUCT&KEY=1139600&utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=online&utm_content=HOME-DEALS&utm_campaign=homepage_panel2

I want a pc that can multibox 3 clients on a 27 inch ben q monitor like this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-XL2720Z-27-inch-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B00HYX1XCK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_computers_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1CTEEKYQ0DX1A497SSPA

Also what operating system would be best? The guy at chillblast feels windows 8.1 would be better than 7/

Thankyou

Blue
Altirius Saldiaro
Doomheim
#35 - 2014-08-21 22:11:47 UTC
Hell with win 8.1 wait till 9 or stick with 7. I use 8.1 at work everyday and I hate it.
Pookoko
Sigma Sagittarii Inc.
#36 - 2014-08-22 00:16:33 UTC
Others have commented on specs a lot, so I'll just give my two cents

At the lowest graphic settings, my office computer with dual-core Pentium CPU with GTX 650 runs 6 clients no problem with 8gb ram. I ninja eve at work with this (mostly trading and industry) with no problem and it's fast and responsive enough to switch back to 'work window' when I need to. ;)

I also have a quad core i7 desktop at home with 16gb ram, but even then CPU usage is minimal.

In other words, even running multiple clients you don't need expensive quadcore. The frame rate and what graphics settings you can use is obviously determined by the graphic card spec. The point everyone was making (which I guess you get now) is that you skimped on the graphics department while investing into CPU.

Having said that though, I use my home PC to do some hobby video editing and there, CPU gets fully utilised and I've even thought about upgrading to hexacore for this.

So consider your use when you decide on system specs.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#37 - 2014-08-22 01:07:59 UTC
Bluespot85 wrote:
*non-commital sigh of scepticism*
27" for 1080p is a bit silly. At that size, you probably want a monitor that can provide at least 2560×1440. Otherwise, you're sacrificing an awful lot of desktop space for not all that much screen real-estate. I wouldn't go higher than 24" for 1920×1080. In particular if, at some point in the future, you want to expand to a multi-monitor setup, you'll have a huge slab of low-density pixels that limits how many more pixels will fit on your desk.

Quote:
Also what operating system would be best? The guy at chillblast feels windows 8.1 would be better than 7
Iffy. 8.1 is definitely better than old 8 was, but it's still a highly schizophrenic and messy OS. Even with the near-mandatory Classic Shell and heavy customisation, it assumes an environment and a level of automation that can easily trip you up. It can also be a very moody and stubborn system (it has a long history of being fidgety about going to sleep on its own, for instance).

There are some interesting paper features under the hood, but the chances of them making any difference to you are very small. At most, you might get some future-proofing as far as DirectX versions go. It will also depend on what happens in the spring. The rumour mill is split between whether we'll see an 8.2 with a revamped UI, or if they'll just enclose all things (and people) Win8-related in concrete, send it to the bottom of the sea, and quickly move on to Win9. So it's a bit of a bet — if they skip to 9, you might as well just run the well-established 7 in the mean-time; if they loiter around 8.2, it'll probably be easier to start out with 8.1.
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#38 - 2014-08-22 01:23:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Remiel Pollard
I built my PC last year for $854. It runs everything fine. Some stuff I have to knock the graphics down a little for, but not to a ridiculously crappy level. The important thing is, I can play EVE on my single account with all graphics set to full. What did I build for $854 I hear you ask?

I screenshot the receipt when I finished ordering everything cuz I was so proud of my handiwork, especially considering it was the first new computer, made of all new parts, that I was building just for me and not for someone else.

BTW, the line with the case that said it came with a 500W PSU - when I unboxed everything for assembly, I discovered they'd forgotten to send the PSU with the case. I called the store that I ordered from and they said they'd put one aside for me. Drove down to the nearest store to pick it up and they'd put aside a premium 600W Thermaltake unit for me, one worth more than twice what the case itself cost.

But yah, this machine runs everything just fine, and EVE on full. Since building it, I've upgraded to 16G of RAM, added a sound card (the motherboard didn't have HD surround), and added a solid-state caching drive. Soon I'll be upgrading the HDD to a solid-state, and moving everything operational over to that (it won't be a TB though) and just using the HDD for redundant data storage. And there is a tonne of room for plenty more upgrades to come.

EDIT: Pertinent to Tippia's comments above, I purchased a Windows 7 OEM and dual boot with Linux Mint 13 XFCE. I hate Windows at the best of times, but 7 is by far superior to 8 if you want to get stuff done without too much ******* around and play EVE, and then I have Linux for work stuff.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#39 - 2014-08-22 01:34:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Remiel Pollard
Tippia wrote:
Carmen Electra wrote:

For just playing a bit of (good old non-threaded) EVE? Yes.
An overclocked 4820K is particularly over the top.

I suppose it could be useful if he wanted to record, edit, and encode video of him playing EVE, though…

I do all that just fine with the machine I built, with an i3.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

NEONOVUS
Mindstar Technology
Goonswarm Federation
#40 - 2014-08-22 01:38:27 UTC
WHat would you recomend for a replacement laptop?
The one I have now is an MSI GT780 DXR, but it managed to reduce the stock thermal paste to a dull blue grey GPU covering (IE I hit the breakdown point under normal load repeatedly)