These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Wormholes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Post patch rolling ships?

Author
Borsek
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#1 - 2014-08-20 16:35:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Borsek
Since the changes to wormhole jump range are unfortunately very likely to stay as they are, does anyone want to crunch some setups for rolling?

I know the change barely affects large groups that can quickly reinforce and aggressed capital, but for smaller groups who don't have the luxury of reasonable fleet numbers, this might be a viable topic of discussion.

So, I've been crunching some EFT, and I'd like some input - what do you think is bad, good or what you would do and why. Without further ado:

[Archon, yoloroll]
Inertia Stabilizers II
Inertia Stabilizers II
Inertia Stabilizers II
Inertia Stabilizers II
Nanofiber Internal Structure II

100MN Microwarpdrive II
100MN Afterburner II
ECM Burst II
ECM - Phase Inverter II

Heavy Energy Neutralizer II

Capital Hyperspatial Velocity Optimizer I
Capital Auxiliary Thrusters I

Note: The rigs are there for less pain when warping, lowslots can be changed depending on scouting info - aidsstabs or overdrive injectors instead of inertia stabs can be used, and if you think it'll help, you can stick a semi-decent tank on it instead of the stabs as well - reactive hardener, double eanm and a rep or two. Highslots can be changed to include a cloak and a probe launcher. Midslots are there for dealing with close range or minmatar webbing ships, while dualprop is there to battle scrams.
As is, this thing has no tank, a small amount of defense (add ECM and dps drones or whatever), an align time of 15 secs for when you spawn 13.5k from the hole and a top speed of 200m/s when you spawn below 5k away from jump range. It also has the capability of carrying an interceptor as a last resort when being faced with the chance of returning to k-space a a data stream.
The total price for this badboy is about 1.5b, with mods and drones included, a total loss of about 1 billion after insurance if it gets inspected by bob's police forces.

I've also looked at a yolo freighter, but since those cost almost as much as the carrier, with absolutely no way to escape even a webbing frigate, the carrier is altogether a better option. The dreads were excluded as a viable rolling tool, since they cost a billion more and are MUCH worse at defending themselves from mosquitoes, while providing only an extra BS worth of mass - you could always jump a BS and a carrier and pack the BS into the carrier if the hole goes VOC for some reason.
Andrew Jester
Collapsed Out
Pandemic Legion
#2 - 2014-08-20 16:55:12 UTC
Use a Nid instead of an Archon, you'll hate yourself less. You're already rigging the Archon differently than needed for it to be a functioning carrier, so might as well get the best one for the job. There's a thread on FHC about it. Aligns faster than a BS which is p sweet. Also has a secondary use of being a quick in-and-out second carrier for escalations.

The faster align of the nid (it's like under 10 seconds, 9.4 or so when I looked at it) makes webbing off and back SUPER easy, and if you're fitting it for speed, it'll go faster than the Archon too.

If thuggin' was a category I'd win a Grammy

Lloyd Roses
Artificial Memories
#3 - 2014-08-20 16:57:05 UTC
Why not get your regular carrier and a 100mn stabber...
Borsek
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#4 - 2014-08-20 16:59:59 UTC
100M difference in mass though, so the total rolling mass would be 2.1b instead of 2.3b of the archon, for both ways with a propmod.

[Nidhoggur, rolo]
Inertia Stabilizers II
Inertia Stabilizers II
Inertia Stabilizers II

100MN Microwarpdrive II
100MN Afterburner II
ECM Burst II
ECM - Phase Inverter II
ECM - Phase Inverter II

Capital Polycarbon Engine Housing I

Align time is only 1.2s lower than the archon, with basically the same setup. Could maybe push it to 1.4s lower. Speed is about 60m/s higher though, so that's a legitimate bonus.
Andrew Jester
Collapsed Out
Pandemic Legion
#5 - 2014-08-20 17:02:30 UTC
Borsek wrote:
100M difference in mass though, so the total rolling mass would be 2.1b instead of 2.3b of the archon, for both ways with a propmod.

[Nidhoggur, rolo]
Inertia Stabilizers II
Inertia Stabilizers II
Inertia Stabilizers II

100MN Microwarpdrive II
100MN Afterburner II
ECM Burst II
ECM - Phase Inverter II
ECM - Phase Inverter II

Capital Polycarbon Engine Housing I

Align time is only 1.2s lower than the archon, with basically the same setup. Could maybe push it to 1.4s lower. Speed is about 60m/s higher though, so that's a legitimate bonus.

5x i-stab in low, 1x DC, 2x Polycarbon rigs and MG-Nomads come to 9.8

Borsek
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#6 - 2014-08-20 17:23:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Borsek
MG-nomads causing the largest chunk of that reduction.
Agrippa Arkaral
Rogue Inferno.
Pandemic Horde
#7 - 2014-08-20 17:32:53 UTC
Everything past the 3rd mod to reduce inertia will be stacking penalized so bad it isn't worth it. Nomads are not stacking penalized. Why you would want that, I don't know. If you start from 0m/s, you can just turn on your MWD one cycle, and you will instantly warp when it turns off.
Budrick3
Moira.
#8 - 2014-08-20 17:49:31 UTC
I think you will be safer just burning to the hole because if you warp off, and get bubbled, then you are going to die. I think the best idea if you insist on using a capital is just to burn back to the hole, and just get a nano hyperion to bump your a$$ back if stuff really hits the fan.
Andrew Jester
Collapsed Out
Pandemic Legion
#9 - 2014-08-20 17:54:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Andrew Jester
Agrippa Arkaral wrote:
Everything past the 3rd mod to reduce inertia will be stacking penalized so bad it isn't worth it. Nomads are not stacking penalized. Why you would want that, I don't know. If you start from 0m/s, you can just turn on your MWD one cycle, and you will instantly warp when it turns off.

While they're stacking penalized, the fourth and fifth still bring down align by 1s using the fit that I posted. If you swap them with nanos, your align is 9.97, so the two heavily penalized istabs are still worth. But yes, cycling the MWD is so easy that it should be done.

Budrick3 wrote:
I think you will be safer just burning to the hole because if you warp off, and get bubbled, then you are going to die. I think the best idea if you insist on using a capital is just to burn back to the hole, and just get a nano hyperion to bump your a$$ back if stuff really hits the fan.

The spot you warp to won't be bubbled, so you won't die, but the hole could be bubbled making it so that you can't warp down. A 2x Nanofiber, 3x Overdrive nid goes 294m/s with no links or snakes. That burn would take ages. Everyone keeps saying to use bump ships, but the chances of someone ******* that up is incredibly high, so I wouldn't want to risk it.

If your hole is bubbled when you would warp back to it, you'll be able to align and warp to a safe fast enough that you should be able to just cloak up and wait it out. If you get stuck, just leave a scanner in the hole with you and wait for a way out.

Agrippa Arkaral
Rogue Inferno.
Pandemic Horde
#10 - 2014-08-20 17:58:57 UTC
You can take off the polycarbons and nothing changes.
Andrew Jester
Collapsed Out
Pandemic Legion
#11 - 2014-08-20 18:00:28 UTC
Agrippa Arkaral wrote:
You can take off the polycarbons and nothing changes.

I think you lose like 0.04s align, but it's so inconsequential that yeah, you could easily do without them.

Paikis
Vapour Holdings
#12 - 2014-08-20 18:20:14 UTC
Fit a MWD and 4-5x Overdrive injectors and literally anything else you want. You can burn back to the wormhole in about 30-40 seconds.

Warping off the hole is a bad idea, it will be slower.
Rroff
Antagonistic Tendencies
#13 - 2014-08-20 18:38:58 UTC
If someone had proposed this a couple of months back they'd have been laughed off the forum...
Andrew Jester
Collapsed Out
Pandemic Legion
#14 - 2014-08-20 18:47:17 UTC
Paikis wrote:
Fit a MWD and 4-5x Overdrive injectors and literally anything else you want. You can burn back to the wormhole in about 30-40 seconds.

Warping off the hole is a bad idea, it will be slower.

Debatably more dangerous though since you could pretty easily get scrammed and webbed in that time. Prevents the issue of having a bubble stop your warp back to the hole, but your cap can be stopped at any time.

Personally I'd rather spend a little longer rolling (if it even takes longer with warping) and have the ship somewhat safer since, if you're doing it correctly, they won't have time to scan your perch before the cap lands and can warp off.

Paikis
Vapour Holdings
#15 - 2014-08-20 19:09:26 UTC
Andrew Jester wrote:
Debatably more dangerous though since you could pretty easily get scrammed and webbed in that time. Prevents the issue of having a bubble stop your warp back to the hole, but your cap can be stopped at any time.

Personally I'd rather spend a little longer rolling (if it even takes longer with warping) and have the ship somewhat safer since, if you're doing it correctly, they won't have time to scan your perch before the cap lands and can warp off.

Farthest you can land from the hole is now 12kms, and as close as 3kms right?

MWD fit will cover 3kms in 10 seconds, plus however long it takes to get to speed, let's say it takes double and call it 20 seconds to cover the 3kms, and something like 50 seconds to cover a 12km slowboat. The warp is going to take almost 30 seconds just to get to the perch. You then have to slow down, turn around, speed up to warp speed and then warp again. Webs don't help with slowing down, they just reduce your max speed.

I don't even think you can call the bounce tactic safer. If you're only 6kms away from the hole when the webs/scram lands you have a chance to get back, especially since you can still fit a semi-decent tank on a Nidhoggur, though without Triage, you're probably dead. If you're landing at your perch when the bubble goes up, you're not getting back through that hole though.

I'd be jumping out with an Overdrive/MWD fit and just checking the distance. If it's less than 8kms I'd slowboat. If it's between 8 and 12kms, I'd warp. If I decide I'm warping, I'd offline the overdrives and MWD into warp anyway.

I think its a gamble either way.
Hatshepsut IV
Un.Reasonable
#16 - 2014-08-20 20:19:31 UTC
Rroff wrote:
If someone had proposed this a couple of months back they'd have been laughed off the forum...

If you believe CCP **** fitting capitals creates interesting decisions and emergent types of ganking.

/emote roll eyes

Public Channel | Un.Welcome

Borsek
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#17 - 2014-08-20 20:24:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Borsek
Paikis wrote:
[stuff.

Aye, that was the general idea, float in if you're close or warp away if you're far. I did check the overdrives, but it does kinda gimp the agility. It's a viable fit, too, as I said, it depends on the scouting.

On a sidenote, jumping the capital in first when rolling will probably become standard practise, since iirc fozzie said the random factor grows with falling mass.

Also, I said everyone was gonna get rolling caps, so, congratulations, you got a crappy carrier/dread kill for every caught capital rolling a hole.
Agrippa Arkaral
Rogue Inferno.
Pandemic Horde
#18 - 2014-08-20 20:36:24 UTC
Overdrives do not affect agility nor align time.
Borsek
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#19 - 2014-08-20 20:50:36 UTC
Agrippa Arkaral wrote:
Overdrives do not affect agility nor align time.

they don't affect agility - same agility, higher speed = higher effective align time, although it doesn't matter with a mwd as much, if you're starting from 0
Agrippa Arkaral
Rogue Inferno.
Pandemic Horde
#20 - 2014-08-20 20:58:58 UTC
The align time of a ship does not depend on its maximum velocity.
12Next page