These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Community Concerns Regarding SOMERblink

First post First post
Author
dexington
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1061 - 2014-08-20 17:34:31 UTC
Andski wrote:
dexington wrote:
The images are linked from external sites, i hope they never enable that feature for monkey class users, but i guess it would be fun to datamine ip/browser info and try and match it to users to detects alts and other fun stuff.

If that's the primary concern they can simply require images posted on the forums to be hosted on imgur, tinypic, eve-files etc.

CCP being CCP i guess the primary concern would be the inappropriate visual content, that needs to be removed manually and the work involved in doing so.

I'm a relatively respectable citizen. Multiple felon perhaps, but certainly not dangerous.

Edward Harris
Inner Geek
#1062 - 2014-08-20 17:41:34 UTC
Hendrick Tallardar wrote:

Welcome to any company in the world that provides a service. They can change their policies at anytime goons want and for any reason, your EULA/TOS agreement affirms you understand that. The assumption that CCP just decided that goons being mad at Somer was enough to change policy overnight is pretty juvenile in understanding business operations. Goons aren't the best at running a company, but they're doing this by the seat of their pants.

fixed.
Anslo
Scope Works
#1063 - 2014-08-20 17:45:14 UTC
Prince Kobol wrote:
Garai Nolen wrote:

will continue to struggle with internal communication and will occasionally screw up as a result of missing something in this process.

You need to replace occasionally with constantly

He's right though. Even at the Federal level we have these kinds of communication issues with subjects far more serious and with dire repercussions should they not be addressed. And we have a metric **** ton of procedures made to prevent communication errors. But they still happen.

[center]-_For the Proveldtariat_/-[/center]

Hendrick Tallardar
Doomheim
#1064 - 2014-08-20 17:46:43 UTC
Edward Harris wrote:

Welcome to any company in the world that provides a service. They can change their policies at anytime goons want and for any reason, your EULA/TOS agreement affirms you understand that. The assumption that CCP just decided that goons being mad at Somer was enough to change policy overnight is pretty juvenile in understanding business operations. Goons aren't the best at running a company, but they're doing this by the seat of their pants.

fixed.

You sound incredibly butthurt over Goons. How many space pixels did they blow up that belonged to you?
Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#1065 - 2014-08-20 17:46:44 UTC
Goonspiracy

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Dilligafmofo
3WAYFOUNDATIONS
Job's Done.
#1066 - 2014-08-20 17:49:01 UTC
I have been unable to speak to a goon for months. I can't stand the smell of CCP shite on their breaths Blink
Prince Kobol
#1067 - 2014-08-20 18:05:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Prince Kobol
Anslo wrote:
Prince Kobol wrote:
Garai Nolen wrote:

will continue to struggle with internal communication and will occasionally screw up as a result of missing something in this process.

You need to replace occasionally with constantly

He's right though. Even at the Federal level we have these kinds of communication issues with subjects far more serious and with dire repercussions should they not be addressed. And we have a metric **** ton of procedures made to prevent communication errors. But they still happen.

I am not arguing that its not a common problem, but that doesn't I have to accept it.

Every time something like this happens its "we need to be better at communication" and nothing happens.

When ever CCP want to introduce a new mechanic and we as p[players tell them that its really stupid and will be exploited they don't listen and what happens, it gets exploited.

How many times are CCP going to do something like this, give the excuse that it was down to poor communication and then nothing changes.
Anslo
Scope Works
#1068 - 2014-08-20 18:09:45 UTC
Honestly, this seems less communication and more contract language related. I bet their legal team missed something in the terms of the agreement between CCP and SOMER and SOMER silently exploited the loop hole.

CCP's communication issues are actually better as evidenced by Falcon being on top of update provisions for the community. After business agreements like with CCP and SOMER, there isn't some constant checking up on communication that's normally done. The contract technically does the communicating, if that makes sense.

[center]-_For the Proveldtariat_/-[/center]

Arrendis
TK Corp
#1069 - 2014-08-20 18:12:23 UTC
Edward Harris wrote:

fixed.

If we were running the company, I promise, nullsec would be a lot less stagnant, and a lot more accessible.
Prince Kobol
#1070 - 2014-08-20 18:16:28 UTC
Anslo wrote:
Honestly, this seems less communication and more contract language related. I bet their legal team missed something in the terms of the agreement between CCP and SOMER and SOMER silently exploited the loop hole.

CCP's communication issues are actually better as evidenced by Falcon being on top of update provisions for the community. After business agreements like with CCP and SOMER, there isn't some constant checking up on communication that's normally done. The contract technically does the communicating, if that makes sense.

Look, I know you are trying to defend CCP, but even Falcon said himself this was down to a communication problem. Apparently who ever was not able to find out who was on the Community Team, I guess people don't like talking to each other in Iceland Roll

Also Falcon said himself he only found out because the CSM alerted CCP to the problem.

No matter which way you swing it, this was a mess which should of never of happened but CCP being CCP I am willing bet anything that in another few months we will be talking about CCP's lack of communication after another screw up
Dinsdale Pirannha
Pirannha Corp
#1071 - 2014-08-20 18:34:52 UTC
I am curious what percentage of plex sales went through the Somer-Blink website, and what kind of impact this will have on sales of plexes.

I imagine the goon Pravda site will pick up some slack, but Markee Dragon (or however you spell his name), must be scrambling today.
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#1072 - 2014-08-20 18:35:20 UTC
Derrick Miles wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
"This medic has saved hundreds of lives. We should definitely overlook the fact that he beats his wife."

Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
He's getting hammered because he attempted to circumvent the rules regarding the monetisation of CCPs intellectual property.

His charitable donations do not excuse that, just as they didn't excuse Bernie Madhoff when he got clobbered for running a huge Ponzi and ripping people off for their pensions.

While RMT is bad, I'm not sure it rates on the scale of wife-beating and stealing pensions.

Nobody suggested anything about scale. It's just an analogy.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#1073 - 2014-08-20 18:45:25 UTC
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:
I am curious what percentage of plex sales went through the Somer-Blink website, and what kind of impact this will have on sales of plexes.

I imagine the goon Pravda site will pick up some slack, but Markee Dragon (or however you spell his name), must be scrambling today.

Markee has his fingers in a lot of pies. I doubt he's scrambling over losing an affiliate that likely gave him much less than 1% of his total sales.

Mr Epeen Cool
Retar Aveymone
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#1074 - 2014-08-20 18:57:46 UTC
dexington wrote:
Doc Fury wrote:
Andski wrote:
Man you've really been showcasing mod abilities in this thread: endless quotes per post, images, oh boy

It's almost as if there is real forum software buried under here.

They just haven't unchecked the [Sucks] box in the config section for us regular users.

edit: the IRONY
/and divine confirmation.

The images are linked from external sites, i hope they never enable that feature for monkey class users, but i guess it would be fun to datamine ip/browser info and try and match it to users to detects alts and other fun stuff.

you're half a decade too late on that idea heh
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#1075 - 2014-08-20 19:12:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Rain6637
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#1076 - 2014-08-20 19:25:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Rain6637
Cherry Yeyo
Doomheim
#1077 - 2014-08-20 19:26:05 UTC
I think if CCP stood up and said: "Yo, its gonna cost some PLEX sales but Markee Dragon and Somer have caused us nothing but problems and slippery slopes for years now so we're gonna end that relationship" all the community would cheer.

Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#1078 - 2014-08-20 19:26:47 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:
stuff

Becoming a Markee Dragon affiliate isn't a hard thing. There were likely further negotiations, because of volume.
http://store.markeedragon.com/affiliate/signupform.php

As for the rest:

Why would an Plex code seller (no ETCs any more) want to convert plex to ISK? That's spending real money, and getting virtual money which they can't use to buy more plex codes? This isn't one or two plex. This is hundreds.

They don't sell plex. They sell codes which can become plex. Plex are useless to them.

Also, the moment that you would allow someone to cycle plex to isk, at a higher than market rate, without any other limitation, you open yourself up to someone buying plex with isk, selling to you for more isk, buying plex with some of that isk, then repeating. So it was always going to be tied to a reseller.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#1079 - 2014-08-20 19:28:21 UTC
bah. double.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

CCP Falcon
#1080 - 2014-08-20 19:30:44 UTC
A response by CCP has been posted here.

Please use that thread for further discussion, this one will be locked now.

Cheers,

- F

CCP Falcon || EVE Universe Community Manager || @CCP_Falcon

Happy Birthday To FAWLTY7! <3