These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Community Concerns Regarding SOMERblink

First post First post
Author
Ralk Orin
The Upside Down
#621 - 2014-08-20 02:18:22 UTC
Well I took a year break from EVE and the only reason I kept one account up was to play blink and set some skills. I am sad to see Blink go the way of the Dodo.
I did get the remainder of my isk I had deposited with them back.

I understand his reasoning for shutting down the site, the witch hunt that is this investigation and community uproar and calling for Somer's head.

I think now that GTC's have been removed and plex can only be sold at CCP's price they need to remove all third party suppliers. and just have CCP as the only source of plex. that would pretty much prevent this from happening again.
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#622 - 2014-08-20 02:18:59 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:
Given that we’re unable to provide reimbursements as per section 1.3 of our reimbursement policy, it’s good to see that SOMER Blink is shutting down in a controlled and stable manner, and that players will be able to withdraw their ISK and / or assets.

While we will be monitoring this closely, we have no intention of interfering with this process, as we feel that allowing players to be able to have their assets and / or ISK returned by SOMER Blink of their own free will is an important part of bringing this situation to a solid resolution.

I was kind of hoping that Somer would go full Cartman mode and sit on the trillion ISK in deposits. But that's only because good schadenfreude gets me... excited.

I'm also glad that CCP has no intention of interfering with the return (or not) of assets, since there's absolutely nothing wrong with EVE deposit banks taking their depositors money and laughing all the way to their soon-to-fail bank.

It's certainly revealing that Somer's response to not being able to cash out is to quit.

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Rroff
Antagonistic Tendencies
#623 - 2014-08-20 02:19:32 UTC
Regardless of the wrongs or rights of Somer sad to see it torn down by what is essentially an orchestrated witch hunt by those with their own agenda rather than on the balance of evidence.
Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#624 - 2014-08-20 02:19:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Doc Fury
CCP Falcon wrote:

In the same respect however, we believe that the promotion that caused this issue was not representative of the original proposal that was brought to CCP.

Do ya' think?

What's the penalty for directly scamming CCP?

/for the second time

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#625 - 2014-08-20 02:21:09 UTC  |  Edited by: James Amril-Kesh
Ralk Orin wrote:
witch hunt

Rroff wrote:
witch hunt

Nope.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#626 - 2014-08-20 02:21:25 UTC
One less RMT organisation.

I do wish that they had stolen everything, however. Would have been the perfect ending.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

Val'Dore
PlanetCorp InterStellar
#627 - 2014-08-20 02:23:09 UTC
Boom Boom Longtime wrote:
CCP Falcon is hopefully the good egg that targets the bad ones in the basket

Confirming CCP Falcon is short for CCP Eleonora Falcon, but it was deemed nonmanly enough to warrant leaving out the 'Eleonora'.

Star Jump Drive A new way to traverse the galaxy.

I invented Tiericide

Ace Boogi
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#628 - 2014-08-20 02:25:00 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:
Hey guys,

We’re aware that SOMER Blink has posted a message to state that their services are shutting down.

We’re also well aware that a lot of members of the community have enjoyed playing SOMER Blink over the course of the last four years, and it’s very unfortunate and saddening to see a source of enjoyment for our players closing its doors.

In the same respect however, we believe that the promotion that caused this issue was not representative of the original proposal that was brought to CCP.

Given that we’re unable to provide reimbursements as per section 1.3 of our reimbursement policy, it’s good to see that SOMER Blink is shutting down in a controlled and stable manner, and that players will be able to withdraw their ISK and / or assets.

While we will be monitoring this closely, we have no intention of interfering with this process, as we feel that allowing players to be able to have their assets and / or ISK returned by SOMER Blink of their own free will is an important part of bringing this situation to a solid resolution.

We’ll have more information for you guys tomorrow, once myself and CCP Leeloo get back into the office and speak to the relevant people, including the CSM.

This remains a top priority for the community team, those involved in other parts of CCP, and the CSM.

Thanks for your patience while we work on bringing this to a close.

About a year late Blink, but you guys we're absolutely on the ball with it this time around. I'm very impressed with how CCP and the CSM came together, acted swiftly, and communicated with the playerbase. It is good to see that you guys saw through the 'business proposal' and recognized that in the end, Somer's goals perhaps weren't altruistic and for the benefit of the community. In contrast, I feel Somer's response, both initially when suspending the promotion, and now, when shutting down, speaks volumes regarding his true intentions and how he views the non-Blinking Eve community.
Lido Seahawk
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#629 - 2014-08-20 02:25:15 UTC
This is bummer. I liked blink. Sad

May I have your stuff?

Sion Kumitomo
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#630 - 2014-08-20 02:25:48 UTC
Val'Dore wrote:
Boom Boom Longtime wrote:
CCP Falcon is hopefully the good egg that targets the bad ones in the basket

Confirming CCP Falcon is short for CCP Eleonora Falcon, but it was deemed nonmanly enough to warrant leaving out the 'Eleonora'.

With the hours he's been keeping lately, he should have picked CCP Nighthawk as his name instead.

On twitter @siggonK

Hendrick Tallardar
Doomheim
#631 - 2014-08-20 02:28:39 UTC
Rroff wrote:
Regardless of the wrongs or rights of Somer sad to see it torn down by what is essentially an orchestrated witch hunt by those with their own agenda rather than on the balance of evidence.

Please elaborate on the "orchestrated witch hunt by those with their own agendas" as so far there has been no organized attack on Somer for personal or group gain other than "this is dumb, stop it."

tia.
Sniper Smith
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#632 - 2014-08-20 02:28:45 UTC
You know what Blink should do.. Become their own GTC Seller. All that's required is a Blink account.

Then they can make all the profit.. And they would be bigger than ever now that everyone has seen that when they shut down they didn't just take the isk and run.

The tears of all the people crying over what they did would be delicious.

And it would be a great FU to CCP who in every way brought this on themselves.

They allowed Blink to do they original GTC deal for Years.
THEY gave Blink the Shiny Scorps and other ships.
THEY didn't put blinks proposal through Legal, where questions would be asked like "How will you determine your Buy prices?" and other common sense questions.

CCP needs to step up for all their faults in this mess.. Rather than throwing Blink under the bus again. The smallest amount of common sense on CCP's part would have prevented this mess ages ago.
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#633 - 2014-08-20 02:28:55 UTC  |  Edited by: RubyPorto
Doc Fury wrote:
CCP Falcon wrote:

Do ya' think?

What's the penalty for directly scamming CCP?

/for the second time

To be fair, I think the first time was actually endorsed by CCP, thus the week they were given to massively expand wind down operations.

Sniper Smith wrote:
CCP needs to step up for all their faults in this mess.. Rather than throwing Blink under the bus again. The smallest amount of common sense on CCP's part would have prevented this mess ages ago.

Yes, CCP should own up to their faults, but Somer's proposal is intentionally misleading from its first line. You don't get to blame the people you tricked for being unhappy that you tricked them.

Again, look at the AHARM example. They got slapped with a pretty hefty fine for using an exploit even though they had (in an obfuscated way) petitioned it twice and gotten the OK both times.

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Ace Boogi
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#634 - 2014-08-20 02:29:00 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
God damn I wish I weren't banned from their public channel on all of my characters. I'm too lazy to make another one.

I can just imagine the butthurt, especially at the time of the announcement.

Cracked up reading that immediately followed by Lisa's quote in your sig. As for the channel, I was there when it died. It was pretty tame, Andrev locked it up swiftly once people started talking about RMT - couldn't have any dissent, right up until the very end Blink
Derrick Miles
Death Rabbit Ky Oneida
#635 - 2014-08-20 02:30:22 UTC
Ralk Orin wrote:
Well I took a year break from EVE and the only reason I kept one account up was to play blink and set some skills. I am sad to see Blink go the way of the Dodo.

I understand his reasoning for shutting down the site, the witch hunt that is this investigation and community uproar and calling for Somer's head.

I think now that GTC's have been removed and plex can only be sold at CCP's price they need to remove all third party suppliers. and just have CCP as the only source of plex. that would pretty much prevent this from happening again.

It is my understanding that this issue has very little to do with third party suppliers and everything to do with one individual offering an in-game incentive to use a referral link. Just because the referral link was for the purchase of PLEX does not mean that all PLEX sales by every third party has anything to do with the issue.
Rroff
Antagonistic Tendencies
#636 - 2014-08-20 02:31:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Rroff
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Ralk Orin wrote:
witch hunt

Rroff wrote:
witch hunt

Nope.

Given the lengths some have gone to to stir up anti-blink sentiment to say there has been no witch hunt at all is hardly accurate.
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#637 - 2014-08-20 02:34:03 UTC
Rroff wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Ralk Orin wrote:
witch hunt

Rroff wrote:
witch hunt

Nope.

Given the lengths some have gone to to stir up anti-blink sentiment to say there has been no witch hunt at all is hardly accurate.

Anti-blink sentiment is pretty much all somer's own doing.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Kenneth Feld
Habitual Euthanasia
Pandemic Legion
#638 - 2014-08-20 02:34:20 UTC
If only half this much effort was put into fixing the game, we wouldn't have had teams taking a several day siesta this week. I lost more isk due to teams than I did in 3 years of blink.
Cherry Yeyo
Doomheim
#639 - 2014-08-20 02:34:36 UTC
Derrick Miles wrote:
Ralk Orin wrote:

It is my understanding that this issue has very little to do with third party suppliers and everything to do with one individual offering an in-game incentive to use a referral link. Just because the referral link was for the purchase of PLEX does not mean that all PLEX sales by every third party has anything to do with the issue.

The guy was out of line, everybody recognized it last year and then they basically deceived a VP at CCP into signing off on the same thing this year.

Incentives to use his button rather than anyone elses

RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#640 - 2014-08-20 02:35:36 UTC
Rroff wrote:

Quoting the proposal and communications that Somer posted. Such nefarious lengths.

Much hunt. Many witches.