These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Wormholes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Music in Wormholes in Need of Attention

Author
Nazori Naskingar
Edge of Existence
#1 - 2014-08-18 21:46:59 UTC
In a patch not too far off we saw a change in the way Eve Online handle background music. This was from what it seemed a good change. Being a wormhole dweller I logged in after the patch and began listening to my new mysterious and creepy soundtrack.

For the first 2 minutes it was great... That did not last long.

I think every wormhole dweller can all confirm that we quickly disabled all in-game music immediately following that patch. There was no just no option. The reverberating strings sound style of wormhole ambient music just sounds like were all stuck in a big bees nest.

I feel that background music is important to any game and a player should not feel compelled to disable it. I currently listen to the Soundcloud of classic Eve Online music while I wander around remembering a time when I didn't have to open up an out of game browser to feel fully immersed in Eve Online.

Please CCP, Fix Wormhole Music.
the Infenro
Skybreakers
Pan-Intergalatic Business Community
#2 - 2014-08-18 21:53:14 UTC
I agree, and on a very rare occasion have turned on my music in eve for the same issue it gets very annoying after the first 10 min or so. after that it basically = turn it off

that being said the old system with the jute box was nice, what i would recommend is have a set track for an area but have an option that keeps it from looping. and instead pull's audio from elsewhere (optional if people want to enable it) the soundtrack we have works for a short visit. but day in/out I have resorted to just turning the music off.

to make it worse if your running several accounts the music tends to overlap. only aggravating the problem it would be cool if we could set it up to where only one char played music by default. without having to manual reconfigure it each time.
Icarus Able
Refuse.Resist
#3 - 2014-08-18 22:19:02 UTC
Sublustris Nox is my wh playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBwc2xzhoNM

This would be perfect CCP.
Erufen Rito
The Dark Space Initiative
Scary Wormhole People
#4 - 2014-08-19 00:19:17 UTC
I wish the jukebox was back. I don't want it to have the ability to create custom playlists or pull from my music, but I do want to be able to skip to a classic eve song whenever the mood calls for it. I miss that thing :(

This is as nice as I get. Best quote ever https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=4137165#post4137165

Belinda HwaFang
Cryptologix Inc.
#5 - 2014-08-19 06:22:26 UTC
+1

I mentioned this a loooong time ago when the change came. The whale noises get old very fast. It's more or less the same in nullsec. Just bring back the jukebox tbh :)
Hans Bonderstadt
#6 - 2014-08-19 08:58:53 UTC
i must jam out while i kill people
pls below the asteroids i miss u so much ;_;
ccp fix this now

the trap is our venue pussy is on the menu

Borsek
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#7 - 2014-08-19 12:42:57 UTC
Eve has music? (I know it has sound, I listen to wormholes)
Scoopahdoopah
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2014-08-19 21:05:15 UTC
rammstein
Nazori Naskingar
Edge of Existence
#9 - 2014-08-19 21:07:33 UTC
Scoopahdoopah wrote:
rammstein

Lol +1
Rabe Raptor
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#10 - 2014-08-19 21:56:56 UTC
I always prefer my own playlist in the background to whatever a game puts on. I like a shuffle of ambient and dissonant soundtracks like Mass Effect, Dark Knight, and Inception.

Together we can make Highsec a better place! www.lawofhighsec.com

Read it, share it, learn it, quote it, memorize it,  live it, breathe it!

Nazori Naskingar
Edge of Existence
#11 - 2014-08-19 22:03:26 UTC
Rabe Raptor wrote:
I always prefer my own playlist in the background to whatever a game puts on. I like a shuffle of ambient and dissonant soundtracks like Mass Effect, Dark Knight, and Inception.

Yea I have found a few really good "Spacey" soundtracks, I just feel like we're playing a space game that should prob be handling it for us. Or at least not forcing us to spend our hours listening to an electric shaver unless we switch off the music.
Hidden Fremen
Lazerhawks
L A Z E R H A W K S
#12 - 2014-08-20 02:26:52 UTC
Glasgow Dunlop
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2014-08-20 20:24:26 UTC
I miss Nouvelle Rouvenor HeroCry

@glasgowdunlop #tweetfleet

TDSIN Director : Join 'TDSIN pub' for more info, Join today!

Glasgow EVE Meets Organiser

Xuixien
Solar Winds Security Solutions
#14 - 2014-08-21 16:38:34 UTC
I agree. WH's need a bit more ambiance in the way of music. Creepy, dark, trancy music that makes you feel like you're in immediate danger. I want the music to make me feel stressed out while I play. I'm not even kidding. A Dev once said "EVE is a dark and harsh world, you're supposed to feel a bit worried and slightly angry when you log in". I want that slightly worried feeling back. As an apex predator I've got too much swag and need some music to make me jittery.

Epic Space Cat, Horsegirl, Philanthropist

Lloyd Roses
Artificial Memories
#15 - 2014-08-21 18:23:05 UTC
Every dweller worth a dime is living by the pulsating sound of the wormhole(s) he is currently orbiting.
Aureus Ahishatsu
Deadspace Knights
#16 - 2014-08-22 17:43:09 UTC
Is there anyone who actually likes the wh musics? Didn't think so...
Winthorp
#17 - 2014-08-23 06:04:48 UTC
Borsek wrote:
Eve has music? (I know it has sound, I listen to wormholes)

This.
Sen Cate
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#18 - 2014-08-24 10:58:45 UTC
+1
Rezan Tepet
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#19 - 2014-08-24 20:14:17 UTC
As much as I agree with the OP, I've come to the conclusion that any game you ever sink over a certain threshold of hours into (let's call it ~300 hours for a baseline) will be unable to present a soundtrack that is forever matching of its ambience and never bores the listener. That would take, basically, either a Pandora-style station (with thumbs up/thumbs down/x skips per hour option) or over 50 hours of music. As EVE has decided to go the route of different ambience for security status, which is pretty cool on paper, it would need three different soundtracks (four? Hi-sec, low-sec, null-sec, wormhole...unless two of those use the same soundtracks, which may be possible), with about 20 hours on each.

So far, I've only known one game (series) to pull this off, and that's Grand Theft Auto (starting at III), where the radio stations are just...brilliant.

So there's an idea: if EVE ever re-overhauled its music option, how about a "stations" option?

oaramos: |oh-WAR-uh-mohs| _n. — _Term given to early Caldarian wormhole explorers. From Rataani language; literally, "Wave-jumper."  _adj. — _[see: "moss" "mossy"] slang— crazy, insane

Nazori Naskingar
Edge of Existence
#20 - 2014-08-25 02:27:14 UTC
Lloyd Roses wrote:
Every dweller worth a dime is living by the pulsating sound of the wormhole(s) he is currently orbiting.

Lol + 1

And while I also agree with Rezen's previous post that a game that you spend so much time in would have a difficult time keeping fresh music in the background for you. The old eve tracks still hold up as a nice background while your playing. So they shouldn't have that much trouble finding ambient music for WH's that don't do your head in within the first 15 minutes.
12Next page