These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Time to do something about locust swarms?

Author
Schmata Bastanold
In Boobiez We Trust
#241 - 2014-08-18 16:54:56 UTC
Faeana wrote:
Actually it would require stupidity, since you would be spending one billion a gank to take out a 200 mill ship. You lose out 5 times more than the skiff pilot. It's like self ganking, pure stupidity.

Who said everything has to be profitable? I gave 1bil to a player who made interesting story thread last week so he could have a chance to have more stories to tell, am I stupid because it wasn't profitable?

It's problem of people like you who filter everything through ISK/h instead of Fun/h. You have only one metrics validating your gameplay and you try to force this narrow-minded view on everybody.

Stop being RL poor and play games for fun instead of grinding pennies online and whine about everyone who get at least a little amount of fun from their play time.

You are not frakking snowflake, you don't deserve anything in pixel world. Especially in dystopian universe of Eve.

Invalid signature format

Caviar Liberta
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#242 - 2014-08-18 16:57:18 UTC
Faeana wrote:
just more gankable than they are now.

Don't you mean cheap to gank. A few Tornado's should be able to alpha through their tank. But that wouldn't be a cheap gank then.
GreenSeed
#243 - 2014-08-18 17:00:39 UTC
Grobalobobob Bob wrote:

Ice mining is for others I think... I just don't understand the ISBOXer thought process when it comes to ice. UNLESS it's NULL, and your alliance is funding your personal fleet / providing support / backup etc - then I understand the locust philosophy.

that's because multiboxing is about problem solving and having fun min/maxing. the EVE mentality is to do something only if the ISK/h justifies it, the boxer mentality is to do something if the intricacies of making it work are fun enough. they would mine with ventures for the hell of it if that's all they had to mine with.

let me give an example, i run right now, 300 invention jobs, and about 200 manufacturing jobs. i consume about 80b worth of materials every month and im pretty sure im the sole reason the T2 prices haven't taken the predicted spike in price and are instead slowly rising. (at least on the items i manufacture)

want to know my profit last month? zero.

i never had profit, and i intentionally made an objective never to have one. (i do avoid losses like everyone else whoever)

and about the skiff, the ship was intended, since its first rebalance, to be THE ship for hsec.

before the last change to it, fitting one DCUII on a mack would make its yield equal to that of a Skiff. and while most people still mined with macks for some ******** reason, the skiff was already the best ship.

due to ganking who would fly an untanked mack?, and if tanking a mack lowers the yield to that of a skiff, then why fly a mack at all? now the real problem was created with the last rebalance, they increased the yield of the skiff to match the mack. so now the previous situation where only idiots were flying macks and dying in hilarious ways, has now been fixed by CCP, they literally spoon fed them the solution. "here, here dummy, you are supposed to fly a skiff.. so now get on it."

and yes, i have a problem with that, and not just because i make the macks, mind you. this game is all about trade offs, the old skiff was a trade off, about 20% less yield, but you were quite literally unkillable unless you were stupid enough to fit invuls on it.

a skiff with a proper kin/therm/EM tank, under unbonussed links, and fitted with a 1mn MWD (yes, 1mn.. look at the mass of the skiff, please.) cant be bumped, and cant be ganked. that was true before, and still is now. so if CCP could please nerf the yield on the skiff by a good 20% everything will be again back in balance.

and about the OP, again, the ice is there. its not yours. given your yield you took your share of what was there while it was there. if you want more, then go to null.
Carmen Electra
AlcoDOTTE
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#244 - 2014-08-18 17:03:56 UTC
GreenSeed wrote:
Grobalobobob Bob wrote:

Ice mining is for others I think... I just don't understand the ISBOXer thought process when it comes to ice. UNLESS it's NULL, and your alliance is funding your personal fleet / providing support / backup etc - then I understand the locust philosophy.

that's because multiboxing is about problem solving and having fun min/maxing. the EVE mentality is to do something only if the ISK/h justifies it, the boxer mentality is to do something if the intricacies of making it work are fun enough. they would mine with ventures for the hell of it if that's all they had to mine with.

This.
Faeana
iD00M
#245 - 2014-08-18 17:47:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Faeana
Quote:
It's only better than the Mackinaw when it has Orca and hauler support, otherwise the Mackinaw is more efficient at the cost of survivability

The mackinkaw, with its larger ore hold, works out 10% more efficient in a comparison test of a solo mining and dropping off skiff vs mackinkaw. 10% more efficiency, for 300% less tank. Oh and it moves like a slug too.
Faeana
iD00M
#246 - 2014-08-18 17:56:14 UTC
GreenSeed wrote:
[quote=Grobalobobob Bob]

and if tanking a mack lowers the yield to that of a skiff, then why fly a mack at all?

Clearly you don't know so much. The mack and skiff have the exact same yield, and exact same number of low slots. They are equal in mining ability. So no, tanking a mack does not lower it to the yield of the a skiff, it makes the yield lower than the skiff.
Rabe Raptor
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#247 - 2014-08-18 17:58:55 UTC
First of all, it takes considerably less to gank a skiff than you all think, especially given that most skiffs run all MU2s in their lowslots.

Second of all, you can gank a skiff for far less than the cost of the skiff.

Third of all even if it took as much as you all speculated it to, we'd still be doing it just because.

Together we can make Highsec a better place! www.lawofhighsec.com

Read it, share it, learn it, quote it, memorize it,  live it, breathe it!

Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#248 - 2014-08-18 17:59:34 UTC
Everyone risks $12 per month per account. Everyone deserves a reward for that risk. If someone thinks watching ice accumulate in their hold is reward enough, then I'm fine with it.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Sophie Bardeux
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#249 - 2014-08-18 17:59:56 UTC
Faeana wrote:
GreenSeed wrote:
[quote=Grobalobobob Bob]

and if tanking a mack lowers the yield to that of a skiff, then why fly a mack at all?

Clearly you don't know so much. The mack and skiff have the exact same yield, and exact same number of low slots. They are equal in mining ability. So no, tanking a mack does not lower it to the yield of the a skiff, it makes the yield lower than the skiff.

If you put at much effort into solving your own problems as you did continually repeating the same debunked arguments you wouldn't have any problems.

Also, this thread is full of horrible ideas, yours being foremost among them.
Efernal
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#250 - 2014-08-18 18:05:03 UTC
OP must be joking... Ice belts are not the only targets these Multi-boxer miners go after. I seen one guy with the same setup only he was going after veldspar of all things. He was doing this in a .6 Code claimed system no less. As a person for the power of Industry I disagree with nerfing the Procurer/Skiff. I say Ice should spawn anywhere in the Cluster. Really make it random instead of a bunch of ice miners waiting in a .5 system for Ice to spawn. Or even have it be part of the normal roid belt spawns only catch there is to limit it to 1 or 2 cycles before you deplete the roid. Might give people the idea to fly a converter into a roid belt in hopes of getting a chunk of ice with their usual ore. Could lead to more Ganking Via Code thus more player on player interaction that CCP is soo keen on having happen.
Sophie Bardeux
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#251 - 2014-08-18 18:05:44 UTC
Rabe Raptor wrote:
First of all, it takes considerably less to gank a skiff than you all think, especially given that most skiffs run all MU2s in their lowslots.

Third of all even if it took as much as you all speculated it to, we'd still be doing it just because.

Even the CODE. guy isn't complaining.

And honestly, if you want to understand the move to Skiffs look no further than CODE.. Miners are the ultimate optimizers and their move to Skiffs despite the lower yield should be telling.

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#252 - 2014-08-18 18:05:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Faeana wrote:
Quote:
It's only better than the Mackinaw when it has Orca and hauler support, otherwise the Mackinaw is more efficient at the cost of survivability

The mackinkaw, with its larger ore hold, works out 10% more efficient in a comparison test of a solo mining and dropping off skiff vs mackinkaw. 10% more efficiency, for 300% less tank. Oh and it moves like a slug too.
So what you're saying, despite your previous posts claiming the exact opposite, is that the Skiff isn't actually better than the Mackinaw in every respect? 10% more efficiency is 10% more efficiency no matter how you try to obfuscate it in your posts.

It's impossible for the Mackinaw to have 300% less tank, at worst it can have no tank at all, which is still less than a 100% reduction in tank because it has a base EHP Roll. From one of your earlier posts
Quote:
Right now a Skiff has about 4 times more eff HP than a tanked Mackinkaw
This equates to around 75% less tank, not 300%, L2maths.

All of the barges and exhumers are slow, unless you fit them not to be. A MWD equipped Skiff sacrifices tank to go as fast as it does, and it gains an arse the size of a continent in the process due to the effects of a MWD on signature size.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

GreenSeed
#253 - 2014-08-18 18:07:05 UTC  |  Edited by: GreenSeed
Faeana wrote:

Grobalobobob Bob wrote:

GreenSeed wrote:

your reading comprehension is astounding.

GreenSeed wrote:

(...)
before the last change to it, fitting one DCUII on a mack would make its yield equal to that of a Skiff. and while most people still mined with macks for some ******** reason, the skiff was already the best ship.

due to ganking who would fly an untanked mack?, and if tanking a mack lowers the yield to that of a skiff, then why fly a mack at all? now the real problem was created with the last rebalance, they increased the yield of the skiff to match the mack.

(...)

Faeana
iD00M
#254 - 2014-08-18 19:10:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Faeana
Sophie Bardeux wrote:
Rabe Raptor wrote:

Even the CODE. guy isn't complaining.

And honestly, if you want to understand the move to Skiffs look no further than CODE.. Miners are the ultimate optimizers and their move to Skiffs despite the lower yield should be telling.

Still people are talking about the skiff like it's some poor low yield stepchild. The skiff is not like that any more. It got a double boost in recent patches, first its mining yield was beefed to be the same as the mackinkaw, and then they gave it another low slot, it is now equal to the mackinkaw in yield. Poor skiff, leave it be, making billions in hi-sec with no risk. Such a hard life.
Faeana
iD00M
#255 - 2014-08-18 19:14:20 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Faeana wrote:
Quote:

So what you're saying, despite your previous posts claiming the exact opposite, is that the Skiff isn't actually better than the Mackinaw in every respect? 10% more efficiency is 10% more efficiency no matter how you try to obfuscate it in your posts.

It's impossible for the Mackinaw to have 300% less tank, at worst it can have no tank at all, which is still less than a 100% reduction in tank because it has a base EHP Roll. From one of your earlier posts
Quote:
Right now a Skiff has about 4 times more eff HP than a tanked Mackinkaw
This equates to around 75% less tank, not 300%, L2maths.

All of the barges and exhumers are slow, unless you fit them not to be. A MWD equipped Skiff sacrifices tank to go as fast as it does, and it gains an arse the size of a continent in the process due to the effects of a MWD on signature size.

Fine i'll word it another way, the mackinkaw gets 10% more ice than the skiff if you're a miner with no hauler support. But it has only 33% of the tank.
Carmen Electra
AlcoDOTTE
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#256 - 2014-08-18 19:30:44 UTC
OP, please. You're making gankers look bad. You're supposed to be harvesting carebear tears. Instead, carebears are now harvesting ganker (your) tears.

There are 9,580 ways to PvP (in order of awesomeness):
9578: Ganking miners in highsec
9579: Shooting cynos
9580: Failing to gank miners in highsec and then making "Miners too stronk" threads in GD.

If you convo me in game, I'd be happy to talk to you about some far more exciting ways to gank.
Nolak Ataru
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#257 - 2014-08-18 20:43:41 UTC
I think the best thing is people literally spoon-fed this idiot the answer to the AM-tanked skiff and it passed so far over his head i can see it stuck to the ceiling behind him.
Hevymetal
POT Corp
#258 - 2014-08-18 21:48:28 UTC
Foxstar Damaskeenus wrote:
Multiboxing is cheating and "pay to win"

Only really bothers me when people do it in combat.

But, what if you multi-box a ganking fleet to combat the multi-boxing ice mining fleet?
BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#259 - 2014-08-19 00:14:26 UTC
Faeana wrote:
Cerisia wrote:
The way I see it is that they pay for all those accounts and therefore have the right (imo) to do what they like with them.
If they are eating up all your ice then why not war dec them?

That is after all, the way the game is supposed to work.....

When you war declare them, they disband their corp and form a new one. Those that don't do this are already in an NPC corp. You can't touch these guys, there is no way for players to police this behaviour. Give players the tools, make ganking them viable to at least some degree. I see more and more of these groups appearing, and it's only going to get worse.

Be careful claiming that we can't touch them. That is hardly true. What is true however is that its prohibitively expensive to take any action against them if the multi-boxer is even half way competent. It takes a significant number of players to kill a procurer in a way that is anything other than a massive loss. T2 catalysts will require around 50m in ships to kill 1 procurer. Meta catalysts can cut that down to 15 or 20 mill which depending on drops *might* break even. The issue is getting enough people online to gank a procurer with meta catalysts. With the number of people required you might as well use t2 cats for orca ganking.

Founder of Violet Squadron, a small gang NPSI community! Mail me for more information.

BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie's Space Mediation Service!

Tarsas Phage
Sniggerdly
#260 - 2014-08-19 05:08:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Tarsas Phage
Miners in 2012: Save our barges! They're too thin/vulnerable/sitting targets! Most of them are useless! CCP is loosing subs because people are tired of the ganking!

Miners in 2014: Procurer/Skiff OP! People are subbing isboxing chars and mowing through ice/ore belts with low risk when it makes no difference in my own ability to mine all that I can anyway!

The old adage stands true: If you look for a problem hard enough, you'll find one.