These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Time to do something about locust swarms?

Author
Rabe Raptor
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#201 - 2014-08-18 05:39:52 UTC
1) Please keep chat clean.

2) We gank skiffs all the time. Check this one out.

Report a multibox or bot fleet to us and we will wipe it out. BTW to those who think the skiff isn't broken, yes it has less yield than a hulk or mackinaw but we're talking on a small order of difference. 10x the tank for like 80% yield.

Together we can make Highsec a better place! www.lawofhighsec.com

Read it, share it, learn it, quote it, memorize it,  live it, breathe it!

Faeana
iD00M
#202 - 2014-08-18 07:16:08 UTC
Carmen Electra wrote:
OP, if ISBoxing fleets to make "huge amounts of isk in complete safety" is so easy (also, you mentioned that these guys PLEX all their accounts, so there's no RL cost to them), then why don't you do it too?

If you can run 20 accounts for no out-of-pocket cost, then you should be able to run 40 for the same price. Use 20 miners to fund your 20 gank accounts to take out these ISBoxers.

Be sure to biomass your miners when you're done so that you don't become the evil you sought to destroy.

GLHF

So you're saying in order to deal with the gameplay I despise, I have to become the gameplay I despise? Sounds really fun...
Faeana
iD00M
#203 - 2014-08-18 07:22:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Faeana
Rabe Raptor wrote:
1) Please keep chat clean.

2) We gank skiffs all the time. Check this one out.

Report a multibox or bot fleet to us and we will wipe it out. BTW to those who think the skiff isn't broken, yes it has less yield than a hulk or mackinaw but we're talking on a small order of difference. 10x the tank for like 80% yield.

Skiff and mackinkaw are equal in yield, both from skills, and fittings. If you fit three ice harvester upgrade 2's on each, same yield. The only difference is the mackinkaw will have about 12-15k EHP and the skiff over 100k EHP. Most miners will say "but the mackinkaw has a bigger ore hold" To them I say so what? For many miners it makes no difference, the skiff has 15k which is big enough, even if you're solo mining. If you have hauling support, there is no downside to skiff.
Carmen Electra
AlcoDOTTE
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#204 - 2014-08-18 07:32:45 UTC
Faeana wrote:
Carmen Electra wrote:
OP, if ISBoxing fleets to make "huge amounts of isk in complete safety" is so easy (also, you mentioned that these guys PLEX all their accounts, so there's no RL cost to them), then why don't you do it too?

If you can run 20 accounts for no out-of-pocket cost, then you should be able to run 40 for the same price. Use 20 miners to fund your 20 gank accounts to take out these ISBoxers.

Be sure to biomass your miners when you're done so that you don't become the evil you sought to destroy.

GLHF

So you're saying in order to deal with the gameplay I despise, I have to become the gameplay I despise? Sounds really fun...

Why do you despise it? Are you trying to mine? Are they stealing your ore from you?
Colten Tokila
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#205 - 2014-08-18 07:41:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Colten Tokila
The skiff and procurer exist for one reason...to actually have people mine. Everyone in this game is risk averse, miners are no exception and with ganking taking root as a major pastime, miners need some reason to go out there. With Cius a river, miners have been nerfed hard in highsec, offered no incentive to go to low sec, so anyone series about it will do it in the safety of a null bear alliance.

The tank of the procurer is for the small group or solo miner in null, those rats hit hard. A change I would like to see would be a bastion type module for miners that only could be activated in null, possibly low sec that increased yield and tank but make you sit until the hull was full.

This would provide more pvp since hotdroppers or roamers in null wouldnt have their prey just warping out when they see a neut, and the tank of barges/exhumers in highsec could be brought in line
Schmata Bastanold
In Boobiez We Trust
#206 - 2014-08-18 07:42:13 UTC
Faeana wrote:

How about not giving a frakk about how other people play the game they pay for? Admit it, you say "despise" but what you really mean is "I'm jelly".

Besides, you are just another NPC forum alt whining about people having more space pixels and making more pixel money than you do. Many done it before you and many will do it when you are gone. Words may vary but underlying reason of whine is always the same: blame others for your own pixel failures.

Invalid signature format

Oxide Ammar
#207 - 2014-08-18 08:20:22 UTC
Rabe Raptor wrote:

This is an example of one of these who are parroting stuff and have bare minimum knowledge against the ships he is ganking 24/7, skiff and mackinaw have the same yield you ignorant Roll

Also leave the skiff alone.

Lady Areola Fappington:  Solo PVP isn't dead!  You just need to make sure you have your booster, remote rep, cyno, and emergency Falcon alts logged in and ready before you do any solo PVPing.

Memrox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#208 - 2014-08-18 08:24:09 UTC
Bump em'.
Barzai Mekhar
True Confusion
#209 - 2014-08-18 08:53:17 UTC
Memrox wrote:
Bump em'.

Too much effort.

It shouldn't require more than a disapproving glare in the general direction of a multiboxer to explode all his ships, disconnect his accounts and set his machine on fire.
Maeltstome
Ten Thousand Days
#210 - 2014-08-18 09:26:28 UTC
Prince Kobol wrote:
PotatoOverdose wrote:
If ccp decides to do something about iskboxing it will probably be to alter game mechanics to make the commonly isboxed activities harder to multibox, as opposed to just "banning" isboxer.

So bombers, for example, might see the return of proximity decloaking for other cloaked ships. Ice miners could see loot spew. You get the idea, the point isn't in what particular mechanic is used to discourage isboxer. Rather, the point is to create gameplay that requires the full attention of the pilot on one character to effectively do the activity.

Lol, are you really that naive?

You do realise that CCP make ton of cash of these guys who multibox.

Yeah, lets go out of our way to spend a ton of resources specifically to annoy those players who run multiple accounts.

Great Idea

This needs that meme with the guys from the Office on it: INCORRECT.

Multiboxers don't give CCP any money - They Plex those accounts. CCP got the cash long before those accounts where made active.

If they couldn't multibox - you'd see less demand for Plex (Reduction in PLEX prices) and an increase in the value of base minerals (Less people strip mining entire belts and flooding the market - or more players who can't afford to undercut as much as someone with 20 accounts worth of ore to sell).
Velicitia
XS Tech
#211 - 2014-08-18 09:30:25 UTC
Jinrai Tremaine wrote:
Or you somehow decrease the need for tank itself, by reducing the risk of losing a ship while mining - in other words, making ganking harder.

Or, you make hisec "less safe" again, and allow people to tank and/or avoid CONCORD (note -- docking or otherwise leaving the system would be forbidden with a GCC) so that having a defender or two flying with you would actually be viable in hisec, even if it's only a griffin/blackbird/scorpion.

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Jinrai Tremaine
Cheese It Inc
#212 - 2014-08-18 11:01:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Jinrai Tremaine
Sentamon wrote:
Hate to break it to you but banning multi-boxing directly leads to less players and more bots.

How, exactly?

If players were only allowed one account active at a time, there would be a lot less ore produced. That means prices would rise as the supply drops. That makes mining more attractive to botters than it is now. Botters are always going to break rules - if they didn't, they wouldn't be botting in the first place. Whatever measure CCP used to detect multiboxing, I guarantee you botters would find a way around it - whether it's modifying the client itself, running each client on a seperate virtual machine, running them through different proxies... if the money is there, they'll find a way.

Right now, the presence of large-scale human multiboxers makes mining less attractive to actual botters than, for example, mission running, or grinding anomalies in renter space. I'm not saying there are no botters mining - I don't know either way, but it seems likely there are some - but I guarantee you'd see more if the prices rose massively, and they would rise massively if you stopped multiboxers.

Ashwind Houssa wrote:
Multi boxing is botting, but since it gets CCP cash they overlook it.

But I am not sure that your argument as stated above is valid. If we assume that every player who is currently hoovering up resources with 10+ accounts is going to unsub all of them and not play, that only removes one player, while opening up opportunities for 10 new miners to take his place. Given the higher price from the lower supply of those minerals, there would be an economic incentive for other real players to take up some mining.

First, multiboxing is not botting - botting is automation of tasks so that they don't require human input. Multiboxing multiplies the amount of required input by the number of accounts being multiboxed. ISBoxer multiplies human input across all accounts simultaneously. Neither generate input without a human present to provide it.

Second, as I've pointed out before there's already a lot of ISK to be made by mining. There's nothing that I can do as a multiboxer that a group of players couldn't do themselves - there's no way I can make my ships mine better than a solo player can. The fact that I can make plenty from locusting proves that solo miners can do so as well, if they choose to. There's already an economic incentive for other real players to take up some mining, it's just that incentive isn't strong enough to make them overcome their dislike for mining itself. As far as I'm concerned, that's working as intended - not every activity in EVE is going to be attractive to every player. The fact only a minority like mining doesn't mean it needs to be changed.

Faeana wrote:
Skiff and mackinkaw are equal in yield, both from skills, and fittings. If you fit three ice harvester upgrade 2's on each, same yield. The only difference is the mackinkaw will have about 12-15k EHP and the skiff over 100k EHP. Most miners will say "but the mackinkaw has a bigger ore hold" To them I say so what? For many miners it makes no difference, the skiff has 15k which is big enough, even if you're solo mining. If you have hauling support, there is no downside to skiff.

As an FYI, the Mack setup I used had 16k EHP before boosts, 19.9k with them. That's with 3 IHU IIs. Tank is a bit higher against Hybrid turrets in particular, though. For comparison, the Skiffs I use today have about 63k EHP before boosts and 79.7k with them, again higher against hybrids. The Skiff is definitely tougher, but a lot less so than you like to make it out to be. It's not over 100k EHP with 3 IHU/MLUs, that's for sure.

Also, what you're saying is "there's no downside to not using the ships designed for mining solo while you're not mining solo". Thanks for that startling insight!

Maeltstome wrote:

Multiboxers don't give CCP any money - They Plex those accounts. CCP got the cash long before those accounts where made active.

Why do people buy PLEX from CCP? Because they want to exchange those PLEX for ISK. What do multiboxers do? We exchange ISK for PLEX. Multiboxers increase the demand for PLEX, which increases the price. The higher price makes more players inclined to buy PLEX from CCP, as they get more ingame ISK for their RL money. Flip that around and remove the demand coming from multiboxers, the price will plummet significantly, there'll be less people willing to spend their RL money at that exchange rate and so CCP gets less cash.

Velicitia wrote:
Or, you make hisec "less safe" again, and allow people to tank and/or avoid CONCORD (note -- docking or otherwise leaving the system would be forbidden with a GCC) so that having a defender or two flying with you would actually be viable in hisec, even if it's only a griffin/blackbird/scorpion.

This wouldn't work, for much the same reason it doesn't work today - because there's absolutely nothing that forces a ganker to engage a defender over a miner. If players could gank without losing their ships, they'd bring better ships; instead of seeing Catalysts it would most likely be sensor-boosted artillery Tornados which would drop in, volley a miner, warp out, do whatever dance they need to shake CONCORD then come back and do it again. The presence of defenders is still basically moot because there's so little they could do to stop that. Alternately you'd see gankers in heavily tanked Tech 3s with a Falcon on call to disrupt any tackle, because there's no reason not to use the expensive-but-effective ships if you're not guaranteed to lose them.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#213 - 2014-08-18 12:37:56 UTC
Maeltstome wrote:
Prince Kobol wrote:
PotatoOverdose wrote:
If ccp decides to do something about iskboxing it will probably be to alter game mechanics to make the commonly isboxed activities harder to multibox, as opposed to just "banning" isboxer.

So bombers, for example, might see the return of proximity decloaking for other cloaked ships. Ice miners could see loot spew. You get the idea, the point isn't in what particular mechanic is used to discourage isboxer. Rather, the point is to create gameplay that requires the full attention of the pilot on one character to effectively do the activity.

Lol, are you really that naive?

You do realise that CCP make ton of cash of these guys who multibox.

Yeah, lets go out of our way to spend a ton of resources specifically to annoy those players who run multiple accounts.

Great Idea

Multiboxers don't give CCP any money - They Plex those accounts
. CCP got the cash long before those accounts where made active.

If they couldn't multibox - you'd see less demand for Plex (Reduction in PLEX prices) and an increase in the value of base minerals (Less people strip mining entire belts and flooding the market - or more players who can't afford to undercut as much as someone with 20 accounts worth of ore to sell).

Someone missed the 1st day of Economics 101 I see.....
Faeana
iD00M
#214 - 2014-08-18 12:56:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Faeana
You can't get 100k EHP vs hybrid turrets on a yield fit skiff? Must be a bad fit. With boosts, you can get close to 90% kinetic and 86-88% to thermal resists with 14k shields on a skiff. That's about 110-120k EHP against hybrid turrets already, in shields alone. Then roughly a further 15-20k from armor and hull HP. 130-140k EHP vs hybrid weapons in a max yield skiff. Such a highly tanked fit should not be possible on a max yield fit. Devs went overkill with the Skiff.

A max yield mackinkaw can get just a tenth of that tank. If you tank a mackinkaw with a damage control and tank kinetic and thermal, yield suffers, skiff becomes the better miner, and you can still hope for at most around 40k EHP vs hybrid weapons, the max yield skiff tank is still 300% stronger. That's why there is such an imbalance in the number of skiffs being used, the skiff overall, is an imbalanced ship.

I see two options, reduce skiff HP, it's ridiculous that a yield fitted skiff that has a higher yield than a tanked mackinkaw has 300% more EHP, this is the better option. The other option is a direct nerf to skiff yield, but this seems pointless when a nerf to skiff EHP would be the best of both worlds. If people want to use a max yield skiff, they can, and they'll still be the least likely to be ganked barge, gankers would rather target weaker mackinkaws, and I am sure there would be more of those in use. If they're paying attention, it will be very hard to die in a skiff even if the EHP was halved. If they truly want to be in the tanked barge and never die, they can always fit a damage control to the skiff, nobody will try to gank that.

I just see something wrong the current system where max yield fit skiffs are the only fit because the tank is so strong anyway that there's no need to fit for less than max yield.
Jinrai Tremaine
Cheese It Inc
#215 - 2014-08-18 13:29:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Jinrai Tremaine
Faeana wrote:
You can't get 100k EHP vs hybrid turrets on a yield fit skiff? Must be a bad fit. With boosts, you can get close to 90% kinetic and 86-88% to thermal resists with 14k shields on a skiff. That's about 110-120k EHP against hybrid turrets already, in shields alone. Then roughly a further 15-20k from armor and hull HP. 130-140k EHP vs hybrid weapons in a max yield skiff. Such a highly tanked fit should not be possible on a max yield fit. Devs went overkill with the Skiff.

A max yield mackinkaw can get just a tenth of that tank. If you tank a mackinkaw with a damage control and tank kinetic and thermal, yield suffers, skiff becomes the better miner, and you can still hope for at most around 40k EHP vs hybrid weapons, the max yield skiff tank is still 300% stronger

First: Maybe you should stop using Hybrids to try and kill ships specifically tanked against Hybrid damage?

Second: As I said, those same fits I mentioned have higher tank vs hybrids. Why? Because gankers like yourself, who apparently can't think outside the box when confronted by ships with a strong kin/therm tank, make it worth sacrificing omni-resistance tank in favour of anti-hybrid. That said, against hybrids (specifically, Void ammo - Antimatter tank is very slightly higher) those fits are as follows: Mackinaw - 20.8k EHP before boosts, 26.1k EHP with them. Skiff: 89.3k EHP before boosts,110.5k EHP with them. That's still a huge difference from what you're claiming those numbers are.

Third: Seriously, stop complaining that miners have realised just like gankers have that Gallente blaster ships have higher DPS than equivalent ships and have started fitting accordingly. If you're seeing people in full Kin/Therm tank and nothing else, get some Thrashers and use RF EMP.
Faeana
iD00M
#216 - 2014-08-18 13:32:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Faeana
Jinrai Tremaine wrote:
Faeana wrote:

A max yield mackinkaw can get just a tenth of that tank. If you tank a mackinkaw with a damage control and tank kinetic and thermal, yield suffers, skiff becomes the better miner, and you can still hope for at most around 40k EHP vs hybrid weapons, the max yield skiff tank is still 300% stronger

First: Maybe you should stop using Hybrids to try and kill ships specifically tanked against Hybrid damage?

Second: As I said, those same fits I mentioned have higher tank vs hybrids. Why? Because gankers like yourself, who apparently can't think outside the box when confronted by ships with a strong kin/therm tank, make it worth sacrificing omni-resistance tank in favour of anti-hybrid. That said, against hybrids (specifically, Void ammo - Antimatter tank is very slightly higher) those fits are as follows: Mackinaw - 20.8k EHP before boosts, 26.1k EHP with them. Skiff: 89.3k EHP before boosts,110.5k EHP with them. That's still a huge difference from what you're claiming those numbers are.

Third: Seriously, stop complaining that miners have realised just like gankers have that Gallente blaster ships have higher DPS than equivalent ships and have started fitting accordingly. If you're seeing people in full Kin/Therm tank and nothing else, get some Thrashers and use RF EMP.

How are you calculating the EHP? You using the true EHP or just a program that gives the average EHP? It doesn't take a genius to work out that if you have 88% vs kinetic and thermal and have 14k shield HP, then you know you have 116k EHP vs kinetic and thermal in shields alone, not counting hull and armor. 90% kinetic 86% thermal is possible with boosts, so i can average that to 88 to each.
Victor Andall
#217 - 2014-08-18 13:38:56 UTC
Faeana wrote:
Prince Kobol wrote:
If you don't like it then do something about it.

I am, but my options are limited. that's why I posted this thread. Give players the tools to police this kind of behaviour. With Procurers so cheap to buy, with the tank of a battleship, ganking them just isn't going to happen enough to have any impact. They need to be toned down a bit. They are clearly too powerful as the anomalies are filled with Procurers and Skiffs.

You do have tools to police this.

It's called a Catalyst.

I just undocked for the first time and someone challenged me to a duel. Wat do?

19.08.2014 - Dinsdale gets slammed by CCP Falcon. Never forget.

Grobalobobob Bob
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#218 - 2014-08-18 13:49:07 UTC
Faeana wrote:
Locust swarms, are the players who multibox ice anomalies in hi-sec with 10-20 accounts or more. Usually they contain a large number of Procurers or Skiffs, a Freighter, and an Orca. These players can make billions daily for just a few hours of play in hi-sec and they do it virtually risk free. That's because Procurers and Skiffs are too strong against gankers, they don't have to worry about losing ships. Even if they did occasionally lose one, it's nothing to the amount of isk they are earning. It also can't be much fun for the other players when many anomalies has one or two of these greedy players around..

Just wondering what the problem is here..

I mean, if I had 20 accounts, i'd need approx 16bn isk a month to break even with the costs of PLEX.

It's 4bn isk a week.. really? I mean, why bother? what's the point in managing 20 accounts, just to chuck 16bn isk a month at plexes? It's way too much work, i think about it and my brain bleeds at the prospect of 'can i be assed' to imagine waiting about for an ice field to appear then locust it..

if one procurer or whatever isn't able to fetch 800m isk a month, it's just not worth the hassle or bother. I certainly cannot be assed at all to try to get 800m isk worth of ice these days a month with a procurer. I'd quit EVE utterly in a few days burned out and stressed to hell with all the ice changes anyway.

If people want to spend their time with 20 accounts being forced to mine for 4bn isk a week before they break even, it's up to them, these people have way more staying power than i ever will.
Space Therapist
Better Days Ahead
#219 - 2014-08-18 14:01:53 UTC
That's crazy.... why would someone use 20 accounts?

See my bio for rates and services.

Faeana
iD00M
#220 - 2014-08-18 14:04:11 UTC
Grobalobobob Bob wrote:
Faeana wrote:
Locust swarms, are the players who multibox ice anomalies in hi-sec with 10-20 accounts or more. Usually they contain a large number of Procurers or Skiffs, a Freighter, and an Orca. These players can make billions daily for just a few hours of play in hi-sec and they do it virtually risk free. That's because Procurers and Skiffs are too strong against gankers, they don't have to worry about losing ships. Even if they did occasionally lose one, it's nothing to the amount of isk they are earning. It also can't be much fun for the other players when many anomalies has one or two of these greedy players around..

Just wondering what the problem is here..

I mean, if I had 20 accounts, i'd need approx 16bn isk a month to break even with the costs of PLEX.

It's 4bn isk a week.. really? I mean, why bother? what's the point in managing 20 accounts, just to chuck 16bn isk a month at plexes? It's way too much work, i think about it and my brain bleeds at the prospect of 'can i be assed' to imagine waiting about for an ice field to appear then locust it..

if one procurer or whatever isn't able to fetch 800m isk a month, it's just not worth the hassle or bother. I certainly cannot be assed at all to try to get 800m isk worth of ice these days a month with a procurer. I'd quit EVE utterly in a few days burned out and stressed to hell with all the ice changes anyway.

If people want to spend their time with 20 accounts being forced to mine for 4bn isk a week before they break even, it's up to them, these people have way more staying power than i ever will.

Yet the belts are full of these types, you're lucky if one doesn't come to gobble up the belt at 2 or 3 times the rate it would have normally gone down. There's loads of guys with 10 miners about, less of the guys with 20, but they are around. Let's imagine there is for example 8 or 10 miners in a belt, this guy with 20 miners turns up, now there is 30 miners and this one guy is taking the majority of the belt for himself, making a ton of isk, at the expense of normal players, and doing it all risk free.