These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Time to do something about locust swarms?

Author
Lucrii Dei
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#161 - 2014-08-17 11:18:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Lucrii Dei
Mara Pahrdi wrote:
Lucrii Dei wrote:
The argument is using ISB for fleet mining, which in the great scheme of things, is no different to having a fleet of individual players mining the same belt.

Playing solo is the same as playing in a team? I don't agree, especially in the "great scheme of things".

Perhaps you are familiar with EA Sports console games like FIFA and NBA? This is the same principle. One person filling the roles of many.

╔═══ ♥ ═════════════╗

EVEcandy™; An EVE Gallery!

╚══════════════ ♥ ══╝

Xpaulusx
Naari LLC
#162 - 2014-08-17 12:53:28 UTC
Faeana wrote:
Locust swarms, are the players who multibox ice anomalies in hi-sec with 10-20 accounts or more. Usually they contain a large number of Procurers or Skiffs, a Freighter, and an Orca. These players can make billions daily for just a few hours of play in hi-sec and they do it virtually risk free. That's because Procurers and Skiffs are too strong against gankers, they don't have to worry about losing ships. Even if they did occasionally lose one, it's nothing to the amount of isk they are earning. It also can't be much fun for the other players when many anomalies has one or two of these greedy players around.

Does anyone have a solution to this? I only have two suggestions, one would be to let the gankers sort it out. The ice fields are full of procurers and skiffs, I don't know what percentage they are but I would guess there is 85% procurers/skiffs, 10% rets/macks and 5% hulks/covetors across the ice fields in hi-sec on average. If that's the case, the solution would be to nerf the Skiff and Procurer a bit. It's far too strong, if determined gankers could target this type of player that could be the answer.

The other idea would be to stop isboxer, but I think that alone may not solve this problem. I like the first idea better.

Simple get rid of NPC corps, NPC's should be for new players only which after 2 months they are ejected as well. Nobody should be immune to war decs.

DJentropy Ovaert
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#163 - 2014-08-17 15:04:29 UTC  |  Edited by: DJentropy Ovaert
Faeana wrote:
Locust swarms, are the players who multibox ice anomalies in hi-sec with 10-20 accounts or more. Usually they contain a large number of Procurers or Skiffs, a Freighter, and an Orca. These players can make billions daily for just a few hours of play in hi-sec and they do it virtually risk free. That's because Procurers and Skiffs are too strong against gankers, they don't have to worry about losing ships. Even if they did occasionally lose one, it's nothing to the amount of isk they are earning. It also can't be much fun for the other players when many anomalies has one or two of these greedy players around.

Does anyone have a solution to this? I only have two suggestions, one would be to let the gankers sort it out. The ice fields are full of procurers and skiffs, I don't know what percentage they are but I would guess there is 85% procurers/skiffs, 10% rets/macks and 5% hulks/covetors across the ice fields in hi-sec on average. If that's the case, the solution would be to nerf the Skiff and Procurer a bit. It's far too strong, if determined gankers could target this type of player that could be the answer.

The other idea would be to stop isboxer, but I think that alone may not solve this problem. I like the first idea better.

It's a tough issue.

On one hand - the solo player who choose to fly a procurer or skiff in order to enjoy the amazing defensive potential of these ships in a "hostile" area is just following game mechanics.

On the other hand - I don't think CCP really considered the insanity that we all see from one player with 20+ accounts running ISboxer + Orca boosts + a freighter has actually done to EVE.

Since CCP has determined that running two dozen accounts via ISboxer is not in any way in violation of the rules against use of macros to provide advantage over other players, perhaps the solution is a change to high-sec itself? Perhaps making changes to the way mining works in the first place is in order? As it stands - if your goal as someone with a dozen or more accounts is to simply print ISK, there is no point in leaving high-sec whatsoever - after all, once you move your bot-fleet (Errr, ISboxed fleet, ISboxing is not at all macroing or botting!) to any area outside of high-sec, the risk gets a lot more extreme while the reward stays mostly the same.

Final point: CCP has decided macroing as many accounts as you want using ISboxer is not macroing, and macroing as many accounts as you want for advantage over other players is totally cool (wait, I mean ISboxing! It's not macroing/botting!) That's just established game mechanics. The only change that will fix this is a change to to the Risk vs. Reward formula that exist in areas of space that are determined to be "high-sec". The amazing tank of the procurer and skiff suddenly does not matter nearly as much when CONCORD / FacPol response is no longer a factor :)
Dave Stark
#164 - 2014-08-17 15:41:04 UTC
DJentropy Ovaert wrote:
On the other hand - I don't think CCP really considered the insanity that we all see from one player with 20+ accounts running ISboxer + Orca boosts + a freighter has actually done to EVE.

nothing that wouldn't happen if eve simply had more subscribers.

people who say "multiboxing is ruining eve" are just saying "having more players will kill eve".
La Nariz
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#165 - 2014-08-17 17:08:49 UTC
Zero Sum Gain wrote:
Cerisia wrote:
The way I see it is that they pay for all those accounts and therefore have the right (imo) to do what they like with them.
If they are eating up all your ice then why not war dec them?

That is after all, the way the game is supposed to work.....

Oh come on, does it really have to be said they're in npc corps?

We circle back to the best ideas and most need changes in EVE:

-Nerf highsec,

-Remove NPC corps.

This post was loving crafted by a member of the Official GoonWaffe recruitment team. Improve the forums, support this idea: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&find=unread&t=345133

Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#166 - 2014-08-17 17:14:38 UTC
ISboxer isn't the problem, highsec mining just needs another kick in the nuts.

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

Dave Stark
#167 - 2014-08-17 17:28:27 UTC
Mallak Azaria wrote:

for what reason?

it's not like it produces huge amounts of isk like incursions, or it's remotely fun (then again, none of eve's pve could ever be described as fun but that's another discussion)
Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#168 - 2014-08-17 17:40:46 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
for what reason?

Depends. Do you want the good reasons, or the amusing ones that will just make people angry?

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

Dave Stark
#169 - 2014-08-17 17:42:14 UTC
Mallak Azaria wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:
for what reason?

Depends. Do you want the good reasons, or the amusing ones that will just make people angry?

can I be greedy and ask for both?

Start with the amusing ones though if you would, i could do with a good giggle.
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#170 - 2014-08-17 17:43:54 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
Mallak Azaria wrote:

for what reason?

it's not like it produces huge amounts of isk like incursions, or it's remotely fun (then again, none of eve's pve could ever be described as fun but that's another discussion)

Ratting in nullsec is too fun.

You know what must be done

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Dave Stark
#171 - 2014-08-17 17:45:20 UTC
Alavaria Fera wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:
Mallak Azaria wrote:

for what reason?

Ratting in nullsec is too fun.

You know what must be done

create a whine thread in GD?
Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#172 - 2014-08-17 17:47:38 UTC
It's a well known fact that most bots operate in highsec as miners. Kicking highsec mining in the nuts kicks highsec botting in the nuts. No ice, Veldspar & Scordite only in 50% less quantities.

Dave Stark
#173 - 2014-08-17 17:48:47 UTC
Mallak Azaria wrote:
It's a well known fact that most bots operate in highsec as miners. Kicking highsec mining in the nuts kicks highsec botting in the nuts. No ice, Veldspar & Scordite only in 50% less quantities.

too obvious, i'm not biting today :P
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#174 - 2014-08-17 17:53:41 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
Mallak Azaria wrote:

Your post means you've already been bitten

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Jinrai Tremaine
Cheese It Inc
#175 - 2014-08-17 17:54:08 UTC
DJentropy Ovaert wrote:
On one hand - the solo player who choose to fly a procurer or skiff in order to enjoy the amazing defensive potential of these ships in a "hostile" area is just following game mechanics.

What exactly has it done to EVE?

Looking at the price history in Jita, hisec minerals like Tritanium and Pyerites have been steady for at least the last year, and is overall slightly higher than it was in previous years. That doesn't sound like the result of an overabundance of hisec multiboxers out there working the ore fields. Prices for Nullsec minerals like Megacyte have dropped over the year, but that's clearly nothing to do with hisec miners - I'd guess it's more to do with the rise in rental empires and the current period of relative peace in null.

Ice prices unfortunately don't tell us much, since the change to anomalies on a timer means there's more-or-less a finite amount mined every day, regardless of number of miners competing for it. At the very least the fact that ice has been trending upwards means that the market's not exactly flooded at peak production. Further, I can say for myself that I can easily make PLEX for all my accounts, just mining casually (IE hitting a couple of spawns in the evening after work). Given exactly how much ISK I make above PLEX price with that same level of mining, I'm pretty sure that even without boosts or haulage a genuine solo miner could also PLEX their accounts with that same casual mining alone. The fact that I can currently see about a dozen isolated barges/exhumers that I assume are solo miners mining ice as I type this also seems to support that. In other words, locusts like me aren't even driving away solo miners with our supposed domination of the icebelts - which makes a lot of sense, since if we'd multiplied to the extent that it wasn't possible for solo miners to support themselves, the profit margin for us would be slim enough that many would look for other ISK sources.

So, really, what is the insanity that we've done to EVE?
Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#176 - 2014-08-17 17:54:40 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
Mallak Azaria wrote:

So you don't want to hear the amusing one then?

Dave Stark
#177 - 2014-08-17 17:57:56 UTC
Mallak Azaria wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:
Mallak Azaria wrote:

So you don't want to hear the amusing one then?

oh go on then, I've got nothing else to do while i wait for my dinner to cook.

hit me.
Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#178 - 2014-08-17 18:01:50 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
hit me.

I don't like hurting people.

Dave Stark
#179 - 2014-08-17 18:11:39 UTC
Mallak Azaria wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:
hit me.

I don't like hurting people.

*shrug*
this chicken is delicious, mind you.
Vigilant
Vigilant's Vigilante's
#180 - 2014-08-17 20:50:07 UTC
Did no read al 9 pages, but do not need too.

Most of these fleets you see are all Skiffs, maybe a Orca or two on grid and at least one freighter.

SIMPLE SOLUTION: Go old school, 10 to 20 Geddons with nothing but Large Smart Bombs

Should blow lots of sh*t up Pirate