These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Eurydia Vespasian, awesome avatar pic!

Author
Eurydia Vespasian
Storm Hunters
#201 - 2014-08-12 14:56:12 UTC
What's wrong with people? Patients are given pre-procedure prep instructions for a reason. I don't understand why some people just don't follow them. A fine example of this happened just a bit ago...a patient did not do their prep but lied and said they did. What a disgusting fiasco. Ugh. Not to mention a horrible waste of time for everyone involved.
Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#202 - 2014-08-13 06:01:10 UTC
It may have a lot to do with poor communication. When we give someone step-by-step instructions, we assume they are easy to read and understand, and we never ponder that the person may question their validity or fear completion of some of the steps. We may interpret the steps easily and trust them, yet forget that we have seen it done before or done it ourselves.

Even with an image of what to do and simple wording, the instructions can be extremely ambiguous to some people. People with even very mild dyslexia may have great difficulty interpreting illustrated diagrams because their mind does not understand the virtual third dimension portrayed. People who have lived their lives speaking in riddles, allusions, metaphors, sarcasm, similar relations, abstract concepts, feelings, and other figures of speech (which, believe it or not, is almost everyone) often have difficulty understanding straightforward instructions because they read into it too much, and don't understand how not to. People who have experienced a very thin slice of local dialect and culture only may have difficulty understanding even basic speech in their language, if it is even a little out of their region.

I can provide some specific examples within my own memories at medical facilities:

When instructed how to swab my arm for getting poked with a needle, I was shown the rubbing motion and told how long to rub, in a number of seconds. The instructor assumed I would be able to figure out how to hold the cloth - he thought wrong. While I had developed the manual dexterity within my life to hold a small cloth, I had developed my own method and it was not directly compatible with the rubbing motion as indicated, so I ended up doing it wrong. I got the right amount of time on the dot because I had a watch and had been excited to learn to count seconds. But once the nurse demonstrated how to rub the iodine, I understood perfectly because I got to watch and feel it. I've done it perfectly ever since (though usually the nurse does it, not me).

When told to lie on an oddly-shaped bench-table-bed-thing covered in paper, I had difficulty determining how to orient myself properly and often would have to ask the doctor/nurse. In my first few attempts, even after getting on the table, I still had to be manually adjusted by the nurse/doctor. It wasn't clear to me how to do it by word descriptions. However, just as word descriptions were enough for other kids, picture diagrams would have been ideal for me, and for some people, neither works. Experience is usually the big winner here, the people who do it right the first time have almost always done it before.

I was once used as an example--the kid who swallowed the pill correctly with the water. The doctor administering the pills (aspirin or tylenol I think it was) assumed I had done it correctly as there was no pill in my mouth and I did not have a grimace on my face. What he didn't realize is that I had chewed it up and resisted grimacing, because I already knew it was bitter and liked to show off my ability to eat bitter things. I still haven't mastered the ability to swallow a pill with water and to this day am so bad at getting them stuck in my throat that I just ask if it's okay to chew it instead. I have no qualms about chewing tylenol, but don't ask me to swallow it whole unless you plan to give me $5 for doing it.

FT Diomedes: "Reaver, sometimes I wonder what you are thinking when you sit down to post."

Frostys Virpio: "We have to give it to him that he does put more effort than the vast majority in his idea but damn does it sometime come out of nowhere."

Eurydia Vespasian
Storm Hunters
#203 - 2014-08-13 14:46:08 UTC
misunderstanding is one thing. flat out lying is something else. some people are just stubborn and think things don't apply to them. the case was a colonoscopy. correct prep for these is very important. when the prep is not followed or ignored completely the results can be...gross. not to mention having to cancel the procedure after a patient has been sedated wasting the teams time and the patient time.
Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#204 - 2014-08-15 08:29:46 UTC
It's tough to know what a person is thinking, but my best guess is either they didn't understand the importance of the prep, felt it was difficult to explain why they failed to prep, or some of both. People don't lie just for the sake of lying, they lie because they are backed into a corner and lack the skills or understanding to explain their way out of it.

FT Diomedes: "Reaver, sometimes I wonder what you are thinking when you sit down to post."

Frostys Virpio: "We have to give it to him that he does put more effort than the vast majority in his idea but damn does it sometime come out of nowhere."

Eurydia Vespasian
Storm Hunters
#205 - 2014-08-15 20:10:10 UTC
Reaver Glitterstim wrote:
It's tough to know what a person is thinking, but my best guess is either they didn't understand the importance of the prep, felt it was difficult to explain why they failed to prep, or some of both. People don't lie just for the sake of lying, they lie because they are backed into a corner and lack the skills or understanding to explain their way out of it.

oh, no no...this guy has been here before with us. colonscopy prep is unpleasant. he just didn't want to do it again and figured he'd try and ignore it and get by. it's hardly the first time. maybe it wouldn't have been so bad if he had at least followed the clear liquids part and fasted.
Zimmy Zeta
Perkone
Caldari State
#206 - 2014-08-15 20:21:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Zimmy Zeta
Eurydia Vespasian wrote:
Reaver Glitterstim wrote:

oh, no no...this guy has been here before with us. colonscopy prep is unpleasant. he just didn't want to do it again and figured he'd try and ignore it and get by. it's hardly the first time. maybe it wouldn't have been so bad if he had at least followed the clear liquids part and fasted.

Well, people don't want to lose their face. When the patient knew he didn't take the medication, he was afraid to admit it, and once he started lying, there was no way back for him anymore.
In order to get the truth out of people, you must er..kind of create an "alternate reality" where the person can admit things without losing face.
Sounds a little abstract? Here an example: instead of saying:
"Hey, we told you to take the medication, but you didn't, why the hell didn't you do what we told you?"
you could try :
"Oh, sorry, Mr. X, I was just looking through your record and it looks like we didn't give you clear instruction on how and when to take the medication. I apologize for the inconvenience, but could you please tell us when and how you took it last? It's very important..."

I'd like to apologize for the poor quality of the post above and sincerely hope you didn't waste your time reading it. Yes, I do feel bad about it.

Eurydia Vespasian
Storm Hunters
#207 - 2014-08-15 20:47:57 UTC
yes. the admitting nurse probably could have inquired a little better/thoroughly. it doesn't matter. it's over now and i can start waiting for the next unsavory incident to happen and gripe about lol
Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#208 - 2014-08-16 01:28:46 UTC
Page 11.. Shocked

It is full of stars

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Vortexo VonBrenner
Doomheim
#209 - 2014-08-16 08:24:07 UTC
Sibyyl wrote:
Page 11.. Shocked

It is full of stars

\o/

Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#210 - 2014-08-16 19:39:52 UTC
Sibyyl wrote:
Page 11.. Shocked

It is full of stars
Sibyyl, you always have something unique and special to say, almost as cool as the new avatar you put on every week or so.

Talk nerdy to us.

Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#211 - 2014-08-17 02:46:08 UTC
Hi Mr. Reaver,

I've been working this weekend, and my job since Friday has been a bit different than what I'm used to. It's a bit more business social.. which in my opinion is "fake" social.. which I'm not very good at. I'm happier hanging out with chem E's and discussing drug synthesis and failure analysis and all kinds of things that require me to take lots of notes.

Anyway, I'm quite stressed out by this kind of thing, so I destress by playing EVE? No I can't do that during a meeting.. so I ninja browse Wikipedia (terrible of me to do so, right?). Anyway, I learned a few things today..

There are these things called Pandoraviruses which can be 1um big (nothing as scary as a 0.5mm Tardigrade, but still kind of scary nonetheless), and may just explain the link between complex self replicating molecules.. is that what viruses are?.. and cells.

I chatted with someone today about chemical weapons (yes, this sort of thing is pretty exciting for me). So the group Aum Shinrikyo came up, in relation to a sarin gas attack they carried out in Tokyo's subway system in '95. My grandmother had briefly mentioned them, but I wasn't aware of any specific details so it was an interesting read about terrorism in Japan.

I then got distracted and was looking at Pyrrhus, from whom the term Pyrrhic Victory is derived.. he has a pretty entertaining history of battles where his casualties seem about as bloody as his opponents. This quote on the page seems to fit:

Quote:
If we are victorious in one more battle with the Romans, we shall be utterly ruined.

Anyway, how's it going with you?

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#212 - 2014-08-17 17:30:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Reaver Glitterstim
Slow as ever. Waiting on my test results to come back so I can hurry up and wait for whatever the next thing the Army wants me to wait for will be...

I don't think Pandora viruses sound scary at all. Viruses are (to me) scary because they are small and simple. That allows them to replicate quickly and unseen, and be difficult to eradicate completely. Rubbing alcohol can kill 99.9% of the bacteria on your skin, 99.99% of the bacteria on a window, probably 100% of the pandora viruses on your skin (if you had a bunch there), but the viruses might find enough protective areas on your skin that you'd only get 99% of them. That's a lot left over. But why are Tardigrades scary?

I think a scary virus is the bacteriophages. These things have "legs". They aren't just a blob of gel capsule with some DNA inside, they have special features that serve a purpose for them. They infect bacteria.

Some diseases make me think of Pyrrhic Victories sometimes, as once you finally get over them they can leave so much damage in their wake that you don't really feel victorious.

P.S. ยต

Tilde Duchateau
The Vendunari
End of Life
#213 - 2014-09-01 07:17:46 UTC
TIL Eevee has awesome taste in music and fashion.

Jackhammer subtlety. Bitches love cannons. This Is My Jam.

Eurydia Vespasian
Storm Hunters
#214 - 2014-09-01 16:34:11 UTC
Tilde Duchateau wrote:

these are both facts.
Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#215 - 2014-09-01 17:50:18 UTC
I heard Eevee has awesome taste in strawberry cheesecake.

Vortexo VonBrenner
Doomheim
#216 - 2014-09-01 18:18:34 UTC
I think it would be interesting to see collections of pictures of the avatars some people make and the changes they do.

also: mmmm...cheeeessseecaaaaake.....

Eurydia Vespasian
Storm Hunters
#217 - 2014-09-01 18:34:48 UTC
cheesecake sounds like as lovely a dessert idea as any for tonight. but i am not going to make one from scratch. eff that. i'll go buy one lol
Tilde Duchateau
The Vendunari
End of Life
#218 - 2014-09-01 19:01:23 UTC
Eurydia Vespasian wrote:
Tilde Duchateau wrote:

these are both facts.

Are you ready for another ride aboard the nostalgia train?

Jackhammer subtlety. Bitches love cannons. This Is My Jam.

Eurydia Vespasian
Storm Hunters
#219 - 2014-09-01 19:04:49 UTC
i'm still on it. just picked up where i left off when i got up this morning lol
Mizhir
Devara Biotech
#220 - 2014-09-01 19:12:05 UTC
Sibyyl wrote:
Page 11.. Shocked

It is full of stars

Then I better get a spot :D

โค๏ธ๏ธ๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œ