These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page
 

[Hyperion] Burner Missions

Author
JAF Anders
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2014-08-14 16:18:02 UTC
http://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/size-matters-introducing-burner-missions/

While playing against bots isn't a new idea, I'm hopeful that this idea will catch on. It has the potential to give some capsuleers a taste of a tough fight and spark an interest in PvP. It's also possible that players will simply rock-paper-scissors the whole concept and learn very little beyond that.

Make no mistake, changes in Faction War complexes have created a vacuum for this type of content and I might have to fix my sec status / roll up a new character to run these.

+1 Fozzie, +1 Rise

The pursuit of excellence and stabbed plexing alts.

Shipwreck ThunderStar
Fast and Agile
#2 - 2014-08-14 16:43:29 UTC
I love the idea of Burner missions.

What I don't like is having to sort through "traditional" lvl 4 missions to get to them. I fly frigates almost exclusively, and it would be nice to be able to run these at leisure rather than having to wait for the random mission to drop.
Fer'isam K'ahn
SAS Veterinarians
#3 - 2014-08-14 16:45:47 UTC
+1

First step in the right direction for PvE with hints of PvP.
Tyrendian Biohazard
Better Off Red
Unspoken Alliance.
#4 - 2014-08-14 16:50:25 UTC
This definitely gets a +1 from me. I don't do a lot of PvE, but it has grabbed my interest.

Now, if they could just mix up the fits a bit. Make a brawly blaster DD in one, rail DD in another. Sometimes the dram does EM damage, sometimes explosive. Just to give some more variety.

Twitch streamer and EVE NT tournament broadcaster.

Phaade
Proioxis Assault Force
Rogue Caldari Union
#5 - 2014-08-14 16:56:46 UTC
Its awesome, but I still have to grind out garbage level 4s to find a fun mission. That sucks.
Elfi Wolfe
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2014-08-14 17:26:29 UTC
+1

And I hope this works out and spreads to other missions.

"Please point to the place on the doll where the carebear touched you."

Iain Cariaba
#7 - 2014-08-14 17:49:42 UTC
I will definitly be doing these. +1
Steven Shen
Scorpions Pirate Force
#8 - 2014-08-14 18:05:20 UTC
+1
Good idea. I will add a worm into my mission ship hangar.
I expect much more changes for the pve part of our universe.

Rowells
Blackwater USA Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#9 - 2014-08-14 18:26:08 UTC
I havent done missions in forever, but i might make a run back to highsec just to try this out.
Tengu Grib
Cruisers Crew
Shoot First.
#10 - 2014-08-14 18:29:45 UTC
If I have to farm lvl 4's to get the occasional burner mission, I'll never do them. And most mission runners are running at least cruisers, but mostly BC's and BS's, so that model would mean dragging a frigate around with you on the off chance you happen to get a burner. I could actually see people just dropping the mission and asking for a new one so they don't have to have frigates around.

+1 to the concept, but please CCP, let it be trough a separate agent, or offered separately from the same agents.

Rabble Rabble Rabble

Praise James, Supreme Protector of High Sec.

Paranoid Loyd
#11 - 2014-08-14 18:50:40 UTC
Tengu Grib wrote:
If I have to farm lvl 4's to get the occasional burner mission, I'll never do them. And most mission runners are running at least cruisers, but mostly BC's and BS's, so that model would mean dragging a frigate around with you on the off chance you happen to get a burner. I could actually see people just dropping the mission and asking for a new one so they don't have to have frigates around.

+1 to the concept, but please CCP, let it be trough a separate agent, or offered separately from the same agents.


https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=4912365#post4912365

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!

Sentamon
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#12 - 2014-08-15 02:18:25 UTC
Tengu Grib wrote:
If I have to farm lvl 4's to get the occasional burner mission, I'll never do them. And most mission runners are running at least cruisers, but mostly BC's and BS's, so that model would mean dragging a frigate around with you on the off chance you happen to get a burner. I could actually see people just dropping the mission and asking for a new one so they don't have to have frigates around.

+1 to the concept, but please CCP, let it be trough a separate agent, or offered separately from the same agents.


Oh you poor thing, he're a cookie and a blankie.

~ Professional Forum Alt  ~

Lothras Andastar
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2014-08-15 07:00:37 UTC
One of two things will happen:
1) They will not be easily exploitable (In the "exploit this forest for resources" meaning of the word) and thus will be run once then never again.
2) They will be such a massive isk fountain that no-one will do anything ever again.

There is no middle ground.

Because the Legacy Code has too much Psssssssssssssssh, nothing will ever get fixed until CCP stop wasting money on failed sparkle MMOs and instead rewrite the entire backend of EvE from scratch.

erg cz
ErgoDron
#14 - 2014-08-15 07:57:30 UTC
Shipwreck ThunderStar wrote:


What I don't like is having to sort through "traditional" lvl 4 missions to get to them. I fly frigates almost exclusively, and it would be nice to be able to run these at leisure rather than having to wait for the random mission to drop.



I am a typical carebear, who runs L4 missions as main fun in EVE. I do other PVE stuff as well, when I feel like it, but my PvP experience is almost zero. Most probably I will need some help learning how to deal with this kind of PvP simulation. At least in the beginning. So you do not need to do any normal sec missions at all. Just check some "help my mission" channel or something like this and help PVP newbees like me ho to deal with real threats. Actually I maybe even contact you in game directly, if you do not mind, when I get some Burner fun in my way ;) I run missions in southern Sinq Laison..
afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#15 - 2014-08-15 11:35:43 UTC
Lothras Andastar wrote:
One of two things will happen:
1) They will not be easily exploitable (In the "exploit this forest for resources" meaning of the word) and thus will be run once then never again.
2) They will be such a massive isk fountain that no-one will do anything ever again.

There is no middle ground.



1) I cannot see a sane fit that a worm wont whip up and down the grid. If it can challenge a worm in solo combat, not much else has a hope in hell.

2) Given they are interleaved with existing level 4's, that is improbable. We may see more people move to blitzing I guess.
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#16 - 2014-08-15 13:10:35 UTC
Tyrendian Biohazard wrote:
This definitely gets a +1 from me. I don't do a lot of PvE, but it has grabbed my interest.

Now, if they could just mix up the fits a bit. Make a brawly blaster DD in one, rail DD in another. Sometimes the dram does EM damage, sometimes explosive. Just to give some more variety.

So far, all we have is the teaser and the proof of concept on something many many players have said they want. They said if these are successful, then they have plans for more. Nor does anything say they won't do something basic like switch ammo types between missions, just that you will be informed of which ammo to tank against, similar to how every pirate faction has a typical damage profile.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Making battleships worth the warp

Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#17 - 2014-08-15 13:20:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Rivr Luzade
Shipwreck ThunderStar wrote:
I love the idea of Burner missions.

What I don't like is having to sort through "traditional" lvl 4 missions to get to them. I fly frigates almost exclusively, and it would be nice to be able to run these at leisure rather than having to wait for the random mission to drop.


You don't? You just fly around several L4 agents and decline missions.

Rowells wrote:
I havent done missions in forever, but i might make a run back to highsec just to try this out.


And why High sec and not Low sec?

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Frostys Virpio
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#18 - 2014-08-15 13:40:30 UTC
Rivr Luzade wrote:


And why High sec and not Low sec?


from dev blog :

Burner Missions pit you against a single enemy NPC. This NPC is an extremely powerful frigate with stats based on those of a player flying a pirate frigate with officer/deadspace gear, pirate implants, and command links. All of these NPCs use warp disruption, and most of them use scramblers that turn off microwarpdrives the same way player scramblers do.

They will require blingy fit that most people won't want to run in low sec.
Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#19 - 2014-08-15 16:26:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Rivr Luzade
Frostys Virpio wrote:
Rivr Luzade wrote:


And why High sec and not Low sec?


from dev blog :

Burner Missions pit you against a single enemy NPC. This NPC is an extremely powerful frigate with stats based on those of a player flying a pirate frigate with officer/deadspace gear, pirate implants, and command links. All of these NPCs use warp disruption, and most of them use scramblers that turn off microwarpdrives the same way player scramblers do.

They will require blingy fit that most people won't want to run in low sec.


I ... see. Very revealing.

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Fourteen Maken
Karma and Causality
#20 - 2014-08-15 17:51:27 UTC
Frostys Virpio wrote:
Rivr Luzade wrote:


And why High sec and not Low sec?


from dev blog :

Burner Missions pit you against a single enemy NPC. This NPC is an extremely powerful frigate with stats based on those of a player flying a pirate frigate with officer/deadspace gear, pirate implants, and command links. All of these NPCs use warp disruption, and most of them use scramblers that turn off microwarpdrives the same way player scramblers do.

They will require blingy fit that most people won't want to run in low sec.


Dam these missions would be good in low sec, if they could be run in reasonably cheap navy or t2 frigs with pvp tackle fit it would mean more people flying solo and I'm sure taking a few fights along the way to break up the boredom of PVE.

If it works well they should consider putting them in low sec too, and let them be run in common Tech2 PVP set ups.
12Next page