These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

T1 ore hauling: Miasmos or gtfo?

Author
Jive Tanner
Doomheim
#1 - 2014-08-13 09:39:40 UTC
I was looking for a hauling ship to take my ore to the market, and it looks like the Gallente Miasmos is the only ship worth using. Is this correct? I thought it was odd that only one faction would have an ore hauler. Are there any good alternatives to the Miasmos?
Keilateau Shakor
Shakor Freight and Mining Service
#2 - 2014-08-13 10:45:53 UTC
Jive Tanner wrote:
I was looking for a hauling ship to take my ore to the market, and it looks like the Gallente Miasmos is the only ship worth using. Is this correct? I thought it was odd that only one faction would have an ore hauler. Are there any good alternatives to the Miasmos?

Nothing beats the Miasmos' 63.000m³ Ore Bay, except a Freighter (which is also a T1 hull, sooo.. Yeah.)

You see, CCP wanted to do something about industrial (hauler) vessels. The facts were not in their favor:

Two Amarr hulls
Two Caldari hulls
Three Minmatar hulls and
Five Gallente hulls.

So what do you do without aggravating players (who tend to like/prefer certain hulls) by ditching perfectly unique assets?
You specialize.

All races got two distinct specializations (cargo + speed / cargo + agility). The Amarr and Caldari have been dealt with, ok, but what about the third Minmatar hull and the myriad of Gallente Iteron Mk.X-Y-Zs' left?

Hence the Ammo Bay for the Hoarder (i am guessing "Minmatar go through massive amounts of projectiles anyway"..), Mineral hold for the Kryos, Planetary Comodities Bay for the Epithal (also known as the proverbial final nail in Primae's coffin) and the Ore bay for Miasmos.
Marc Callan
Lucifer's Hammer
A Band Apart.
#3 - 2014-08-13 11:03:15 UTC
Well, the Miasmos is best if you're hauling nothing but ore; however, if you've got a mixed cargo, suddenly it's a lot less attractive (its general cargo hold isn't much to write home about).

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegurt

Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2014-08-13 14:51:56 UTC
Jive Tanner wrote:
I was looking for a hauling ship to take my ore to the market, and it looks like the Gallente Miasmos is the only ship worth using. Is this correct? I thought it was odd that only one faction would have an ore hauler. Are there any good alternatives to the Miasmos?


Dst or an Orca I suppose.

But what is wrong with using a Miasmos ?
Cyniac
Twilight Star Rangers
#5 - 2014-08-13 16:48:36 UTC
Hasikan Miallok wrote:
Dst or an Orca I suppose.


This or a freighter. The full capacity of a deep space transport is quite impressive now, that was a nice surprise.
Jive Tanner
Doomheim
#6 - 2014-08-14 08:35:08 UTC
Hasikan Miallok wrote:
Jive Tanner wrote:
I was looking for a hauling ship to take my ore to the market, and it looks like the Gallente Miasmos is the only ship worth using. Is this correct? I thought it was odd that only one faction would have an ore hauler. Are there any good alternatives to the Miasmos?


Dst or an Orca I suppose.

But what is wrong with using a Miasmos ?


From a game/roleplay point of view it's weird having to use your enemy's ships. The different factions all have their own covert ops ships, stealth bombers, freighters etc, why not ore or mineral transporters? It's not a BIG deal, just something that struck me as odd.
Avaelica Kuershin
Paper Cats
#7 - 2014-08-15 04:24:18 UTC
Jive Tanner wrote:
Hasikan Miallok wrote:
Jive Tanner wrote:
I was looking for a hauling ship to take my ore to the market, and it looks like the Gallente Miasmos is the only ship worth using. Is this correct? I thought it was odd that only one faction would have an ore hauler. Are there any good alternatives to the Miasmos?


Dst or an Orca I suppose.

But what is wrong with using a Miasmos ?


From a game/roleplay point of view it's weird having to use your enemy's ships. The different factions all have their own covert ops ships, stealth bombers, freighters etc, why not ore or mineral transporters? It's not a BIG deal, just something that struck me as odd.


For roleplay, I suppose if you are fighting Gallente militia it may seem strange to use Gallente ships, but if you are a trader or gun-for-hire, then you'll use whatever ships seem best for the job.
Effect One
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#8 - 2014-08-15 13:18:19 UTC
Avaelica Kuershin wrote:
For roleplay, I suppose if you are fighting Gallente militia it may seem strange to use Gallente ships, but if you are a trader or gun-for-hire, then you'll use whatever ships seem best for the job.


The militia is a state independent entity composed of capsuleers who just happen to agree with a particular faction enough to join them in battle, rather than a state funded navy, so it isn't odd to fly different racial ships even from a roleplay perspective because, essentially, they are guns-for-hire (paid in loyalty points).

'This might be internet spaceships, but it's not rocket science to protect yourself and fly with a little common sense' - CCP Falcon

Sobaan Tali
Caldari Quick Reaction Force
#9 - 2014-08-16 05:59:18 UTC
Jive Tanner wrote:
Hasikan Miallok wrote:
Jive Tanner wrote:
I was looking for a hauling ship to take my ore to the market, and it looks like the Gallente Miasmos is the only ship worth using. Is this correct? I thought it was odd that only one faction would have an ore hauler. Are there any good alternatives to the Miasmos?


Dst or an Orca I suppose.

But what is wrong with using a Miasmos ?


From a game/roleplay point of view it's weird having to use your enemy's ships. The different factions all have their own covert ops ships, stealth bombers, freighters etc, why not ore or mineral transporters? It's not a BIG deal, just something that struck me as odd.


I look at it like PMC personnel using weapons and equipment other than those that would be used by their parent nation's military, i.e. American contractors with European or Soviet/Russian block hardware. It's actually not uncommon for troops to procure and utilize enemy combatant weapons when needed, though that is admittedly usually under more extreme or dire cases.

"Tomahawks?"

"----in' A, right?"

"Trouble is, those things cost like a million and a half each."

"----, you pay me half that and I'll hump in some c4 and blow the ---- out of it my own damn self."

Bronson Hughes
The Knights of the Blessed Mother of Acceleration
#10 - 2014-08-18 16:30:15 UTC
In the T1 Industrial line, the Miasmos wins for ore hauling. Orcas and Freighters can carry more and are both T1 hulls, but are much more expensive, take longer to train for, and far less nimble.

Also, please, for the love of whatever you find good and holy, do not fill your Miasmos to the brim with compressed ore. It's a tragically expensive lossmail waiting to happen.

Relatively Notorious By Association

My Many Misadventures

I predicted FAUXs

Frostys Virpio
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#11 - 2014-08-18 17:24:43 UTC
Cyniac wrote:
Hasikan Miallok wrote:
Dst or an Orca I suppose.


This or a freighter. The full capacity of a deep space transport is quite impressive now, that was a nice surprise.


The tank isn't ahlf bad either now that you don't have to fill the low slots with expander to get some space.
Ned Thomas
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2014-08-18 17:41:36 UTC
It'd be nice if Caldari and Amarr got their own specialty haulers. From a lore standpoint, maybe give Cal one with a special "equipment bay" for moving ship mods and rigs so those uber capitalists can stuff the markets, and the Amarr get one with a special "ship bay" for moving packaged ships because they need a more efficient way to move their armada around.

Anyway, to answer the question, the Gallente line of specialty haulers are the kings of moving raw goods in a fast way. There's just no reason not to use them for their intended purpose. A roleplay justification could be as simple as using the enemies technology against them.

If moving ore/minerals is something you'll be doing long term, training into a DST should be on your to-do list.
Argent Rotineque
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2014-08-19 15:46:40 UTC
I saw a suggestion to move the specialty haulers from the Gallente industrial skills to O.R.E. industrial, which seems to me to make good sense from a lore perspective.
Evei Shard
Shard Industries
#14 - 2014-09-01 22:55:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Evei Shard
If you are concerned about the roleplay aspect of it that much, you might want to consider a slightly different method. Anchor a small POS and use a compression array. Ore compression does amazing reduction to the size, thus allowing you to haul ridiculous amounts of ore in a standard hauler, or better yet a cloaky blockade runner (at better speed too).
Of course this method may not work as well if you change systems often, or perhaps other issues are in the way, but it's an option.

*edit* I realize that a blockade runner is not a "T1" ship, however, depending on how much you are willing to risk, you can still use the compression array technique to make more use of your standard T1 hauling ship cargo capacity.

Profit favors the prepared

Petre en Thielles
Doomheim
#15 - 2014-09-03 19:35:47 UTC
Evei Shard wrote:
If you are concerned about the roleplay aspect of it that much, you might want to consider a slightly different method. Anchor a small POS and use a compression array. Ore compression does amazing reduction to the size, thus allowing you to haul ridiculous amounts of ore in a standard hauler, or better yet a cloaky blockade runner (at better speed too).
Of course this method may not work as well if you change systems often, or perhaps other issues are in the way, but it's an option.

*edit* I realize that a blockade runner is not a "T1" ship, however, depending on how much you are willing to risk, you can still use the compression array technique to make more use of your standard T1 hauling ship cargo capacity.



This is what I do. I compress everything and use a blockade runner. I make around 2 trips from null to Jita per week and have yet to be ganked.

I also avoid actually hauling ore if I can help it. OP - get to know a few industrial people in your area and see if you can sell directly to them. Avoid actually moving the ore at all.
erg cz
ErgoDron
#16 - 2014-09-04 08:54:24 UTC
Crane alone worth training caldari industrial skill to 5. But I am glad I am gallente exactly for this role playing reason ;) Got all gallente industrial except nereus. Cause wreathe is the best industrial for MWD/cloak travel untill you get your first blockade runner. And would love to be able to use Crane (over 5 m3 with a little bit over 3 sec align time and 20 kEHP tank), but I will stick with viator. Train caldari indy skills only to get Crane is waste of time, viator has a little bit better agility (under 3 second) and better cargo, then a prowler.

So yes - compress ore and use Bestover :) It hase over 42 k m3 and much better agility , then iteron, alsmost same agility as Tayra, but tayra can not carry even 40 k m3. So you can put 14 Giant secure containers into Bestover, which will result in 55+ k m3 with better agility, then Miasmos have. You will get sick in micromanagemnt of those 14 cargo containers, but even raw 42 k M3 is worth training IMHO