These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Hyperion] Nestor Tweaks

First post First post First post
Author
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#221 - 2014-08-13 12:33:50 UTC
Tij Lamor wrote:
I've been intrigued by the Nestor since I started playing Eve - the flexibility to adapt to different roles appeals to me. I've created generalist characters that dabble in many areas of the New Eden sandbox, why not a generalist ship?

One problem has been price. For less than the cost of a Nestor I can buy an Onerios for logistics, a Stratios for exploration and a Rattlesnake for combat - each much better in its specialized role than the Nestor.

The idea of adding a ship maintenance bay, presumably with fleet fitting service, got me thinking about the ship again. The ability to refit on the fly has been available since the mobile depot was introduced but built in and fleet accessible adds considerable value. The perfect spot for a ship with these capabilities is wormhole space but a lot of wormholes have a 20 million kg mass restriction and it would be nice if we could shrink Nestor to that level – call it a “Pocket” Battleship. I’d be willing to give up half the drone bay, some cargo space, a high slot and some tank to achieve this. To compensate, a lighter ship should be better able to speed tank.

I see the ship being fit for one role at a time with primary roles being:
* fleet support – logistics including a full squadron of heavy logistic drones, fleet fitting service and I would really like to see a command link.
* sniper – sentry drones and range bonus for lasers – should be a good choice for level 4 missions.
* wormhole exploration – role bonuses for scanning and hacking. Can fit a conventional cloak.

I would like the logistics skill added to the requirement to fly this ship with the logistic bonuses tied to this skill. Should also be a bonus for logistic drones.

As a smaller ship closer in size to a Battle Cruiser the price from the LP store can be reduced – perhaps 400,000 LP instead of 600,000. This would help bring the market price down and current owners could receive a refund of 200,000 SOE LP.

I don’t think this ship would be overpowered – it isn’t the best at any role. Its strength is the ability to switch roles which will be very valuable in wormhole space and attractive to people (like me) who own and love their Leatherman tool.

I would definitely buy one.

The problem with a BS that size, with battleship EHP, weapons and capacitor capacity, as well as fitting room, is that it then becomes a pre-nano nerf WTF kiting ship of doom.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Making battleships worth the warp

Steph Livingston
Neko's Blanket
#222 - 2014-08-13 14:32:51 UTC
I appreciate that the Nestor is still getting changes, but I still won't fly mine in it's current state.

I actually think adding a ship maintenance bay makes the problem worse, not better. One of the main problems the Nestor has right now is that it really doesn't have a role, or the focus, to give it purpose. Ever since the stats were finalized players have asked the same question: 'Why?'

Adding a maintenance bay just takes the ship one step closer to a carrier, and at since the cost is the same most people would rather USE a carrier for the same function. I know the Nestor is supposed to be a wormhole vessel, but without a cloak it's really a sitting duck in there anyways. If a carrier is unavailable then logistics ships are cheaper and easier to replace.

I'd go as far as saying the maintenance bay is a step in the wrong direction. It really doesn't give the Nestor a purpose, it just makes it more like a carrier, for the same price point.

If you want to make the Nestor more useful, give the Nestor more of a wormhole focus. I know a covert ops cloak is out of the picture but for me the ideal change would be losing the probe strength and encryption bonuses, which don't work as well on a BS sized hull, in exchange for the Nestor to be invisible, or highly resistant, to probe scans. It wouldn't do anything when the enemy was on top of you, but it would be ALMOST as good as a cloak when trying to hide or setting up ambushes.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#223 - 2014-08-13 14:37:16 UTC
Steph Livingston wrote:
I appreciate that the Nestor is still getting changes, but I still won't fly mine in it's current state.

I actually think adding a ship maintenance bay makes the problem worse, not better. One of the main problems the Nestor has right now is that it really doesn't have a role, or the focus, to give it purpose. Ever since the stats were finalized players have asked the same question: 'Why?'

Adding a maintenance bay just takes the ship one step closer to a carrier, and at since the cost is the same most people would rather USE a carrier for the same function. I know the Nestor is supposed to be a wormhole vessel, but without a cloak it's really a sitting duck in there anyways. If a carrier is unavailable then logistics ships are cheaper and easier to replace.

I'd go as far as saying the maintenance bay is a step in the wrong direction. It really doesn't give the Nestor a purpose, it just makes it more like a carrier, for the same price point.

If you want to make the Nestor more useful, give the Nestor more of a wormhole focus. I know a covert ops cloak is out of the picture but for me the ideal change would be losing the probe strength and encryption bonuses, which don't work as well on a BS sized hull, in exchange for the Nestor to be invisible, or highly resistant, to probe scans. It wouldn't do anything when the enemy was on top of you, but it would be ALMOST as good as a cloak when trying to hide or setting up ambushes.

Its a support battleship that is ideal for small roaming gangs.
Steph Livingston
Neko's Blanket
#224 - 2014-08-13 14:45:20 UTC
That may be the purpose, but I don't know many people that would dedicate that much ISK on a roam when they could take a logistics, and still outfit 3-4 other people for the same price as a single Nestor. The benefit just isn't worth it.

If the group DID have that much ISK to commit, most groups usually go with a hot drop carrier. It's the same price, and does the job better in most regards.
Rroff
Antagonistic Tendencies
#225 - 2014-08-13 14:48:57 UTC
Have to say many of the comments in this thread even when not intended to that end seem to suggest the nestor should be a faction black ops heh.

Do like the addition of a limited ship maintenance bay.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#226 - 2014-08-13 15:01:18 UTC
Steph Livingston wrote:
That may be the purpose, but I don't know many people that would dedicate that much ISK on a roam when they could take a logistics, and still outfit 3-4 other people for the same price as a single Nestor. The benefit just isn't worth it.

If the group DID have that much ISK to commit, most groups usually go with a hot drop carrier. It's the same price, and does the job better in most regards.

Cant go roaming in a carrier.
Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#227 - 2014-08-13 15:06:41 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Steph Livingston wrote:

Its a support battleship that is ideal for small roaming gangs.

Maybe extra 0.5 au/s warp speed coudl be the buff needed to make it excel on that role...

"If brute force does not solve your problem....  then you are  surely not using enough!"

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#228 - 2014-08-13 15:15:38 UTC
Kagura Nikon wrote:

Maybe extra 0.5 au/s warp speed coudl be the buff needed to make it excel on that role...

No need. Its not all that hard to get 3au out of any battleship.
Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#229 - 2014-08-13 15:34:19 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Kagura Nikon wrote:

Yet most people seems to not think its worth. Maybe the nestor just need a different metagame to shine. .. maybe after sov is completely changed upside down.. maybe.

"If brute force does not solve your problem....  then you are  surely not using enough!"

BayneNothos
United Electro-Magnetic Federation
Business Alliance of Manufacturers and Miners
#230 - 2014-08-13 15:37:32 UTC
LUMINOUS SPIRIT wrote:

What are you smoking? Run the eft numbers, 2 guardians put out 20% more reps then 1 nestor and 1 feeder guardian, or 2 spider nestors. And 2 guardians do it for fraction of the price, do it up to 70km vs 21km, are faster, tankier, hardier vs ECM, lock 2 times faster, and have way less sig.

And if you need talisman sets to make a ship work, thats an automatic fail.

Thanks no thanks.

I think you need to check your math. 50% bonus, that means you get a free repper for every two you stick on it.
In this case, that's 9 RR modules effectively. So unless you're not doing cap chains on your Guardians a single Nestor reps more.

If you're running a pair of 4/1 Guardians, that's 8 RR modules to 9. Run with 3 people, you're doing 18 RR modules to the triple Guardians 12.

Nestor has more mids so it can do more funky stuff like double Sebo's which put it's lock times to comparable with Guardians. It can run WAY more ECCM. It's also got a full flight of bonused heavy/sentry drones. Guardians don't thrown down 400-500 dps each while doing reps.

It's not a replacement of Guardians, never said it was. But it's got some pretty good strengths and if the hull wasn't worth nearly a carrier, we'd see it a lot more. If you're an Incursion runner or a low end WH group, it's worth a look into once the price drops.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#231 - 2014-08-13 15:37:41 UTC
Kagura Nikon wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Kagura Nikon wrote:

Yet most people seems to not think its worth. Maybe the nestor just need a different metagame to shine. .. maybe after sov is completely changed upside down.. maybe.

Most of the people who hate this ship also hated the marauder changes. They wont be happy unless they get an overpowered cov ops monster for 300 mil.
Hakaari Inkuran
State War Academy
Caldari State
#232 - 2014-08-13 15:53:33 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Kagura Nikon wrote:

A T2 hyperspace rig and a 15% warp speed implant still doesn't get a 2AU to 3AU. What do you think "not hard" qualifies as?
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#233 - 2014-08-13 15:55:57 UTC
Hakaari Inkuran wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Kagura Nikon wrote:

A T2 hyperspace rig and a 15% warp speed implant still doesn't get a 2AU to 3AU. What do you think "not hard" qualifies as?

The implant set and a t1 rig.
LUMINOUS SPIRIT
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#234 - 2014-08-13 16:24:54 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Steph Livingston wrote:

Yes you can. its called a cyno loki/proteus/absolution.

baltec, there hasnt been a single nestor-based roam in EVE since the ship came out. That tells you something.
LUMINOUS SPIRIT
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#235 - 2014-08-13 16:28:21 UTC
BayneNothos wrote:
LUMINOUS SPIRIT wrote:

What are you smoking? Run the eft numbers, 2 guardians put out 20% more reps then 1 nestor and 1 feeder guardian, or 2 spider nestors. And 2 guardians do it for fraction of the price, do it up to 70km vs 21km, are faster, tankier, hardier vs ECM, lock 2 times faster, and have way less sig.

And if you need talisman sets to make a ship work, thats an automatic fail.

Thanks no thanks.

I think you need to check your math. 50% bonus, that means you get a free repper for every two you stick on it.
In this case, that's 9 RR modules effectively. So unless you're not doing cap chains on your Guardians a single Nestor reps more.

If you're running a pair of 4/1 Guardians, that's 8 RR modules to 9. Run with 3 people, you're doing 18 RR modules to the triple Guardians 12.

Nestor has more mids so it can do more funky stuff like double Sebo's which put it's lock times to comparable with Guardians. It can run WAY more ECCM. It's also got a full flight of bonused heavy/sentry drones. Guardians don't thrown down 400-500 dps each while doing reps.

It's not a replacement of Guardians, never said it was. But it's got some pretty good strengths and if the hull wasn't worth nearly a carrier, we'd see it a lot more. If you're an Incursion runner or a low end WH group, it's worth a look into once the price drops.

I dont need to check my math because EFT does it for me. 5/1 guardians are better, because nestors need to fit energy transfer arrays, or they burn out of cap in 20 seconds flat, which is a big no-no.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#236 - 2014-08-13 16:31:18 UTC
LUMINOUS SPIRIT wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Steph Livingston wrote:

Yes you can. its called a cyno loki/proteus/absolution.

baltec, there hasnt been a single nestor-based roam in EVE since the ship came out. That tells you something.

Cyno jammers, more fuel than you can carry and a lone carrier deep behind enemy lines. It wont last long.

Incidentally show me all of the other small gang roams involving pirate battleships. Even if people saw this as the perfect ship it would be very very rare to find one pvping.
LUMINOUS SPIRIT
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#237 - 2014-08-13 16:33:03 UTC
Hakaari Inkuran wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Kagura Nikon wrote:

He means you need to put 2bil of implants in your head to make the ship marginally useful in warp speed alone.

I think he defends Nestor too much, as quick glance doesnt show a single kill in a nestor on his profile.

baltec1, show us you actually used the nestor in a roam, and we will tip our hats to you. Otherwise, stop defending something you yourself dont use.
LUMINOUS SPIRIT
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#238 - 2014-08-13 16:36:56 UTC
[quote=baltec1

Incidentally show me all of the other small gang roams involving pirate battleships. Even if people saw this as the perfect ship it would be very very rare to find one pvping.[/quote]

I run into vindicators with cynos fairly often; we use bhaalgorns almost every day; machariels are seen here and there on occasion - killed one on a roam a few months back.

it happens.

Not so with nestor.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#239 - 2014-08-13 16:38:22 UTC
LUMINOUS SPIRIT wrote:
Hakaari Inkuran wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Kagura Nikon wrote:

He means you need to put 2bil of implants in your head to make the ship marginally useful in warp speed alone.

I think he defends Nestor too much, as quick glance doesnt show a single kill in a nestor on his profile.

baltec1, show us you actually used the nestor in a roam, and we will tip our hats to you. Otherwise, stop defending something you yourself dont use.

500 mil of implants.

I dont need to show that I use the nestor to understand how it will work. I have 4 years of flying battleships in almost any kind of fleet behind me. I understand how they work.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#240 - 2014-08-13 16:39:25 UTC
LUMINOUS SPIRIT wrote:

I run into vindicators with cynos fairly often; we use bhaalgorns almost every day; machariels are seen here and there on occasion - killed one on a roam a few months back.

it happens.

Not so with nestor.

Thats because it costs twice as much and people generally cant fit ships themselves.