These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Ganking Miners

Author
Lorlen Nalelmir
Doomheim
#1 - 2014-08-10 12:46:43 UTC
I was wondering, how do you find people that are mining in low sec? How do you know what system they will be in and then how do you know what belt they are in?

I am having trouble finding them...the same goes for haulers..how can you find them?
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#2 - 2014-08-10 13:22:30 UTC
a combination of locator agents, dotlan, shared knowledge with more experienced predators than yourself and often wardecks.
J'Poll
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#3 - 2014-08-10 13:25:51 UTC
Think like the prey,

Probing also helps.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#4 - 2014-08-10 13:31:19 UTC
J'Poll wrote:
Think like the prey,

Probing also helps.

well i wasent going to give him everything
Jur Tissant
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2014-08-10 14:51:30 UTC
Once you're in system, combat probes can get you right on top of your target (but will also give away your intentions if they're watching d-scan). You can use d-scan to pinpoint their location by scanning down a planet, then a belt.
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#6 - 2014-08-10 16:31:16 UTC
What we hunters do is roam around aimlessly down back-end systems... having one or two guys in fast ships scout ahead one or two jump. They keep their Directional Scanners open and set at maximum... looking for anything out of the ordinary as they warp to the next gate. If they do see something, they turn around and start blitzing asteroid belts and cosmic anomalies to see if they can catch something.

Do note though that finding a "real" mining operation in low-sec will be rare. Incredibly rare. Those that do operate in low-sec tend to be well versed in how to make themselves scarce as soon as a potential hostile appears.
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#7 - 2014-08-10 19:23:09 UTC
As above, just wander.

That said, a cloaky ship is handy since once you find one mining obliviously, he's afk or he's a bait ship. You'll never find a miner who is on the ball as he'll be gone before your probes are out.

So you'll want to park nearby cloaked and decide how to proceed. Check local. Check his KB. Check his corps KB. Is he running one less strip than he should be? That kind of stuff.

Ganking in low sec successfully takes some experience, but once you get the hang of it, it's a lot of fun. Though for me the gank is not as much fun as the hunt.

Mr EpeenCool
Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#8 - 2014-08-10 23:41:48 UTC
A cloaky tackle ship is definitely important. I recommend the Arazu if you can fly it (with allies 3j behind you in heavier hitting ships).

Build a name as someone that honors ransoms, but don't bother with ransoms unless you get an Orca, or similar.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

Christopher Mabata
Northern Accounts and Systems
#9 - 2014-08-13 02:51:52 UTC
Personally i just jump random systems and while holding my cloak D-Scan down the nearby belts and Poco's for newbies or anything weird, look for ICE systems too as those tend to bring out a few more miners than usual

♣ Small Gang PVP, Large Fleet PVP, Black Ops, Incursions, Trade, and Industry ♣ 70% Lethal / 30% Super-Snuggly / 110% No idea what im doing ♣

This Message Brought to you by a sweet and sour bittervet

Bel Tika
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2014-08-13 10:32:43 UTC
J'Poll wrote:
Think like the prey,

Probing also helps.

god that sounds soo sexual, here have a like :D
Yang Aurilen
State War Academy
Caldari State
#11 - 2014-08-13 10:41:36 UTC
ShahFluffers wrote:
What we hunters do is roam around aimlessly down back-end systems... having one or two guys in fast ships scout ahead one or two jump. They keep their Directional Scanners open and set at maximum... looking for anything out of the ordinary as they warp to the next gate. If they do see something, they turn around and start blitzing asteroid belts and cosmic anomalies to see if they can catch something.

Do note though that finding a "real" mining operation in low-sec will be rare. Incredibly rare. Those that do operate in low-sec tend to be well versed in how to make themselves scarce as soon as a potential hostile appears.

A pos full of unpiloted ships is the bane of max range 360 dscan. Still it's fun finding miners in lowsec in itself.

Post with your NPC alt main and not your main main alt!