These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Hyperion] Nestor Tweaks

First post First post First post
Author
Scout Vyvorant
Doomheim
#201 - 2014-08-12 21:13:18 UTC
Why don't give the nestor the ability to carry at least two fitted frigates, or restrict her bay to be able to hold only SoE ships? (I'd prefer simply the first)

If you think about it, the orca can hold two hulks, refit in space, use links, have massive cargo hold, a hugh EHP potential and so on, for 600 mils, the nestor, for the amazing pricetag of 1.3 bil, can remote repair, scan and hack sites, and now refit in space. A bit underwhelming, isn't it?

Anyway if you see the nestor is too OP with a proper ship bay, you can nerf it back in the next release in september, that's the good part with the patches so close to each other.
Grunnax Aurelius
State War Academy
Caldari State
#202 - 2014-08-12 21:43:19 UTC
Scout Vyvorant wrote:
Why don't give the nestor the ability to carry at least two fitted frigates, or restrict her bay to be able to hold only SoE ships? (I'd prefer simply the first)

If you think about it, the orca can hold two hulks, refit in space, use links, have massive cargo hold, a hugh EHP potential and so on, for 600 mils, the nestor, for the amazing pricetag of 1.3 bil, can remote repair, scan and hack sites, and now refit in space. A bit underwhelming, isn't it?

Anyway if you see the nestor is too OP with a proper ship bay, you can nerf it back in the next release in september, that's the good part with the patches so close to each other.

Orca is a Capital ship.... not a Battleship thats why....

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=342042&find=unread

M1k3y Koontz
Speaker for the Dead
Stay Feral
#203 - 2014-08-12 22:12:50 UTC
CorryBasler wrote:
+1 for billion isk instant mobile depots! No longer shall we wait for the mobile depot to anchor when flying supercaps, just toss out a nestor!

Gotta love PL logic Big smile

How much herp could a herp derp derp if a herp derp could herp derp.

Harvey James
The Sengoku Legacy
#204 - 2014-08-12 22:17:13 UTC
Grunnax Aurelius wrote:
Scout Vyvorant wrote:

weird since it has large rigs rather than capitals .. and is allowed in HS .. although JF's are too like,

T3's need to be versatile so no rigs are necessary ... they should not have OP dps and tank

ABC's should be T2, remove drone assist, separate HAM's and Torps range, -3 HS for droneboats

Nerf web strength, Make the blaster Eagle worth using

Ghaustyl Kathix
Rising Thunder
#205 - 2014-08-13 02:06:03 UTC
Hopelesshobo wrote:
A Nestor's rep is equivalent to about 2.5 guardians.
And if you are roaming through wormholes, are you going to stop and build a carrier in each system you come across?

[...]

Good luck refitting on the fly if you have to move with an Orca.

Shh! Don't tell them that! Let them find out the hard way! P
Azbogah
Life of lively full life thx to shield battery
Verge of Collapse
#206 - 2014-08-13 02:17:59 UTC
M1k3y Koontz wrote:
CorryBasler wrote:
+1 for billion isk instant mobile depots! No longer shall we wait for the mobile depot to anchor when flying supercaps, just toss out a nestor!

Gotta love PL logic Big smile

Actually it's great logic. I am actually going to put one in my Archon.
Scout Vyvorant
Doomheim
#207 - 2014-08-13 05:23:59 UTC
Harvey James wrote:
Grunnax Aurelius wrote:
Scout Vyvorant wrote:

weird since it has large rigs rather than capitals .. and is allowed in HS .. although JF's are too like,

Correct, while freighter, jf and orca use capital components to be build, the orca has been battleship sized in rigs, EHP and powergrid since day one, and her massive amount of EHP (my top fit was 427k) are part of her features due to the large pool of structure. If you check orca's shield and armor are the ones of a BS.

I'm not saying to turn the nestor into an orca, i'm just saying to add a zero to that ship maintnance bay.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#208 - 2014-08-13 07:08:12 UTC
Scout Vyvorant wrote:
Harvey James wrote:
Grunnax Aurelius wrote:
Scout Vyvorant wrote:

Correct, while freighter, jf and orca use capital components to be build, the orca has been battleship sized in rigs, EHP and powergrid since day one, and her massive amount of EHP (my top fit was 427k) are part of her features due to the large pool of structure. If you check orca's shield and armor are the ones of a BS.

I'm not saying to turn the nestor into an orca, i'm just saying to add a zero to that ship maintnance bay.

I could agree with the ability to carry one frigate so a roaming gang can arry a spare cepter (adds yet more "hey thats handy" to a small gang roam)
Tennej
LoTax POCO Company of HiSEC
#209 - 2014-08-13 07:33:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Tennej
CCP Fozzie wrote:
Two step wrote:
Fun suggestion: Reduce the Nestor's mass, but add a ship "bonus" that increases the mass when running a prop mod so it won't be super fast . Then they might see more use in w-space.

The Nestor already has approximately half the mass of other battleships.

And yet it is incredibly slow. Make it a little faster please..... might as well be flying a Rokh. This thing should have the fleet Phoon's velocity at the very minimum.

You Miners think you have it so damn tough.  When I first started playing we didnt even have mining lasers.  You had to fly close to an asteroid.....pop a hatch and gnaw at it with your teeth.   - Bitter Vet

Rek Seven
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#210 - 2014-08-13 07:48:01 UTC
Steve Ronuken wrote:
Reasoning for the 5000 m3 bay? Well, the art does have a shuttle bay on it Smile

Yeah it's pretty ridiculous. You should be able to fit an Astero in there at least. Straight
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#211 - 2014-08-13 08:26:58 UTC
Quote:
Lowered activation cost for 100MN Micro Warp Drives
Capacitor activation cost is cut in half for all 100MN Micro Warp Drives.

Oh man this is big!
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#212 - 2014-08-13 08:56:43 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Quote:
Lowered activation cost for 100MN Micro Warp Drives
Capacitor activation cost is cut in half for all 100MN Micro Warp Drives.

Oh man this is big!

I know. full stable MWD BS with 2 mods? Please.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Making battleships worth the warp

Carniflex
StarHunt
Mordus Angels
#213 - 2014-08-13 09:05:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Carniflex
I think there was this limited edition shuttle thingy a while ago. A SoC one?

If the "shuttle bay" is kept at 5000 m3 could we at least get a sisters shuttle? One with a probe launcher and mmm.. cov ops cloak? Or just lower the volume of noobships to 5000 m3 and/or introduce a SoE noobship.

Here, sanity... niiiice sanity, come to daddy... okay, that's a good sanity... THWONK! GOT the bastard.

erg cz
Blood Blind
Short Bus Syndicate
#214 - 2014-08-13 09:28:18 UTC
Give it 5000 m3 cargo bay instead ;)

Now seriosly:
Astero has T2 ship ability - covert op cloak
Stratios has T2 ship ability - covert op cloak, 5/5/5 layout and way biggest cargo hold among all cruisers
Gnosis has 6/6/6 layout and biggest cargohold among all BC ( even bigger, than all T1 BS )
Nestor should have bigger cargo hold, than a T2 BS, 7/6/7 layout (cause 7/7/7 would make it OP) and T2 ability. If we can not get covert op cloak, give it at least bastion mode module.

Fleet hangar, big enough to transport fitted mining barge, frigate and industrial ship, can be actually attractive for WH solo tourists, who wants to bring all his stuff with him in one ship. Especially if that ship can be anchored and used as shielded POS with 0 powergrid and 0 CPU ;)
The Djego
Hellequin Inc.
#215 - 2014-08-13 10:33:03 UTC
CCP Fozzie wrote:

Secondly, we are adding a new function to the Nestor that fits well with its role as a group support vessel. We are giving the Nestor a 5000m3 Ship Maintenance Bay that will allow friendly ships to refit when they are nearby.

And finally, we are reducing the Nestor's signature radius a bit from the current 465m to 420m.

We know that some of you will be unsatisfied with the fact that we're not adding covert cloak or jump drive capabilities or some other completely new role to the Nestor with this pass. We won't rule out the possibility of future changes but we are first going to observe the results of these adjustments in Hyperion.
-Fozzie

The nestor is not used because it is a pointless gimic ship, designed with zero direction and not a real concept what it should actually do behind it. Non of the changes will change that till somebody actually gives the Nestor a working concept behind it.

Make it like a utility platform like marauders, give it a 100% damage bonus to lasers, reduce the turrets to 3 and give it a useful fitting and cap(the current one is still a joke, it needs 600m in T2 BS sized RR rigs to power up medium reps, yes medium not even large) to mount RR, Puls and tank at the same time. Reduce the sig even further to 380m since it just takes even with the resist bonus more damage than most other BS by the big sig from my experience and give it around 2-2.5k more base armor hit points to make it overall less squishy and more practical without a plate. Maybe add another 100% to the RR range bonus, since this is also something that vastly limits its use currently for stuff like Incs. Another thing would be to give it finally the 10 target slots like Logis and Marauders have them, to be more attractive in the Logi role and multi task better(lock stuff to shoot and RR at the same time).

Also reduce the LP prices of the Nestor in the SOE LP shop down to 350-450k LP for the BPC, it is nowhere worth the asking price of 600k, you admitted that yourself with the introduction of the chips.

progodlegend wrote:
I think people complaining about the Nestor having no uses are being incredibly uncreative.

If the price comes down, as with this change it should, then I can envision quite a few uses for it.

You guys got to think outside of the box :).

People did say the exact same thing when the Nestor was introduced, a bad ship doesn't become good by being cheap, it is just a cheaper bad ship. Btw I have a 5B nestor that I use quite a bit and everybody that claims to be creative with it just tiered to use the hull for something where it was worse than a cheaper ship.

Improve discharge rigging: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=246166&find=unread

Rek Seven
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#216 - 2014-08-13 11:12:08 UTC
It's pretty clear now that this ship will never get a covert ops cloak. If it did, that would justify the current price but as CCP are seeking to reduce the price, it's unlikely the ships will get a cloak.

People say price isn't a balancing factor but they're wrong. If this ship drops below 500 mill and we start to see gangs of RR Nestors roaming around, people are going to start screaming for it to be nerfed.

Advantages of a nestor gang
* great repping ability
* good drone damage
* good laser damage projection
* good tank
* good speed
* can refit in space (e.g. fit warp stabs when in trouble)
* can escape using a MJD

Disadvantages
... cost?

The design of this ship has been a mess from day one. Fozzie should have balanced the ship around the ability to fit a covert cloak and everyone would be happy... but no. instead he's just going to pile more bonuses on it until it becomes the swiss army knife of eve.

Ps. the ship is ugly as ****!
Jezza McWaffle
Lazerhawks
L A Z E R H A W K S
#217 - 2014-08-13 11:14:40 UTC
Can't wait to make some OP setups with this.

Wormholes worst badass | Checkout my Wormhole blog

Kyuuseishu
Pikachu's Paradise
#218 - 2014-08-13 11:27:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Kyuuseishu
erg cz wrote:
Give it 5000 m3 cargo bay instead ;)

Now seriosly:
Astero has T2 ship ability - covert op cloak
Stratios has T2 ship ability - covert op cloak, 5/5/5 layout and way biggest cargo hold among all cruisers
Gnosis has 6/6/6 layout and biggest cargohold among all BC ( even bigger, than all T1 BS )
Nestor should have bigger cargo hold, than a T2 BS, 7/6/7 layout (cause 7/7/7 would make it OP) and T2 ability. If we can not get covert op cloak, give it at least bastion mode module.

Fleet hangar, big enough to transport fitted mining barge, frigate and industrial ship, can be actually attractive for WH solo tourists, who wants to bring all his stuff with him in one ship. Especially if that ship can be anchored and used as shielded POS with 0 powergrid and 0 CPU ;)

There isn't a single BS sized ship that can fit the covert ops cloak, it would be the first ship that size able to do so, so it can't exactly have a T2 BS cov ops fitting bonus when one does not exist. But, give it the bastion module? It is in no way, shape, or form along the same lines as a Marauder class BS so this just doesn't fit at all into the ships support role.

With the fleet hangar it does effectively have a bigger cargohold than T2 BS' by a large margin, and giving it an extra low slot, it would have to sacrifice something else in return.
Tij Lamor
Doomheim
#219 - 2014-08-13 12:16:22 UTC
I've been intrigued by the Nestor since I started playing Eve - the flexibility to adapt to different roles appeals to me. I've created generalist characters that dabble in many areas of the New Eden sandbox, why not a generalist ship?

One problem has been price. For less than the cost of a Nestor I can buy an Onerios for logistics, a Stratios for exploration and a Rattlesnake for combat - each much better in its specialized role than the Nestor.

The idea of adding a ship maintenance bay, presumably with fleet fitting service, got me thinking about the ship again. The ability to refit on the fly has been available since the mobile depot was introduced but built in and fleet accessible adds considerable value. The perfect spot for a ship with these capabilities is wormhole space but a lot of wormholes have a 20 million kg mass restriction and it would be nice if we could shrink Nestor to that level – call it a “Pocket” Battleship. I’d be willing to give up half the drone bay, some cargo space, a high slot and some tank to achieve this. To compensate, a lighter ship should be better able to speed tank.

I see the ship being fit for one role at a time with primary roles being:
* fleet support – logistics including a full squadron of heavy logistic drones, fleet fitting service and I would really like to see a command link.
* sniper – sentry drones and range bonus for lasers – should be a good choice for level 4 missions.
* wormhole exploration – role bonuses for scanning and hacking. Can fit a conventional cloak.

I would like the logistics skill added to the requirement to fly this ship with the logistic bonuses tied to this skill. Should also be a bonus for logistic drones.

As a smaller ship closer in size to a Battle Cruiser the price from the LP store can be reduced – perhaps 400,000 LP instead of 600,000. This would help bring the market price down and current owners could receive a refund of 200,000 SOE LP.

I don’t think this ship would be overpowered – it isn’t the best at any role. Its strength is the ability to switch roles which will be very valuable in wormhole space and attractive to people (like me) who own and love their Leatherman tool.

I would definitely buy one.
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#220 - 2014-08-13 12:31:25 UTC
The Djego wrote:
[quote=CCP Fozzie]

Make it like a utility platform like marauders, give it a 100% damage bonus to lasers, reduce the turrets to 3 and give it a useful fitting and cap(the current one is still a joke, it needs 600m in T2 BS sized RR rigs to power up medium reps, yes medium not even large) to mount RR, Puls and tank at the same time. Reduce the sig even further to 380m since it just takes even with the resist bonus more damage than most other BS by the big sig from my experience and give it around 2-2.5k more base armor hit points to make it overall less squishy and more practical without a plate. Maybe add another 100% to the RR range bonus, since this is also something that vastly limits its use currently for stuff like Incs. Another thing would be to give it finally the 10 target slots like Logis and Marauders have them, to be more attractive in the Logi role and multi task better(lock stuff to shoot and RR at the same time).

Sooo. It can't do RR while running a weapon with a massive cap problem? Surprise.
Soo why do you need cap for an armor tank? EANMs are good enough of a passive that its ridiculous. Unless you want to local tank it, run DPS and logi, in which case, what is even going on there?
Soo a drone and logi boat with a minor secondary bonus to lasers can't do all three at once without bling? I am shocked.

As for more EHP, that ship needs more base armor like I need a hole in my cranium. It already has the 6th highest base armor HP of any faction battleship, with the amar navy and bhaal finishing ahead of it. Its closest matches in shield, the SNI and rattler do have more buffer, but this is matched with substantially harder time getting insane resists as there is more pressure on those midslots in almost every case as well as the active nature of shield tank.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Making battleships worth the warp