These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Hyperion] Nestor Tweaks

First post First post First post
Author
PotatoOverdose
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#181 - 2014-08-12 17:05:21 UTC  |  Edited by: PotatoOverdose
baltec1 wrote:

PotatoOverdose wrote:

Also keep in mind, it won't go below a billion anytime soon. Even going down to a bil is rather extreme as both the astero and the stratios would need to fall in price by about 25-30% as well to make billion isk nestors a viable option for LP/nexus chip conversion.

Give it a few months and if CCPs maths is right it should land around the same price as a vindi.

Two things:
1) I can't remember the last time I saw a (pvp) vindi in null. I'm sure it happens somewhere, but I haven't seen it. Doesn't exactly bode well for the nestor, does it?

2) A vindi is currently 854 mil in jita. In order for a nestor to go down to 854 mil from 1.4 bil, you would need to depress SoE LP/Isk conversion and Nexus Chip/isk conversion by 39%. This would imply a Stratios goes from 289 mil --> 176 mil and an Astero goes from 78 mil --> 47 mil.

While I would love to see a stratios that is cheaper than an ishtar, it ain't gonna happen.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#182 - 2014-08-12 17:09:35 UTC
PotatoOverdose wrote:

Two things:
1) I can't remember the last time I saw a vindi in null. I'm sure it happens somewhere, but I haven't seen it. Doesn't exactly bode well for the nestor, does it?

Why not? The vindi is a powerhouse of pain and suffering. Just because people lack the nuts to fly it doesn't mean its underpowered.
PotatoOverdose wrote:

2) A vindi is currently 854 mil in jita. In order for a nestor to go down to 854 mil from 1.4 bil, you would need to depress SoE LP/Isk conversion and Nexus Chip/isk conversion by 39%. This would imply a Stratios goes from 289 mil --> 176 mil and an Astero goes from 78 mil --> 47 mil.

While I would love to see a stratios that is cheaper than an ishtar, it ain't gonna happen.

How do you know? CCP just stated they are making it easier and cheaper to get.
PotatoOverdose
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#183 - 2014-08-12 17:22:31 UTC
baltec1 wrote:

Care to make a wager?

Two months, if the nestor is down to 854 mil or less, I'll buy you one. If the Nestor is above 854 mil, you buy me one. Sound good? Big smile
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#184 - 2014-08-12 17:36:45 UTC
PotatoOverdose wrote:
baltec1 wrote:

Care to make a wager?

Two months, if the nestor is down to 854 mil or less, I'll buy you one. If the Nestor is above 854 mil, you buy me one. Sound good? Big smile

No because I am expecting it to be around a billion which is reasonable.
Carniflex
StarHunt
Mordus Angels
#185 - 2014-08-12 17:43:22 UTC
PotatoOverdose wrote:

If I understood the first post correct CCP is increasing the drop rate of the battleship chips from faction drones. So I would not excpect the price of the SOE cruiser and frigate to change much other than the regular market pressures.

No one in their right mind was taking Nestors from the LP store anyway.

Here, sanity... niiiice sanity, come to daddy... okay, that's a good sanity... THWONK! GOT the bastard.

LUMINOUS SPIRIT
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#186 - 2014-08-12 17:53:05 UTC
OK, so, looking over community feedback, we have one or two die-hard supporters of the nestor, and everyone else disproves of the change, and the ship in general.

CCP, back to you
Captain StringfellowHawk
Forsaken Reavers
#187 - 2014-08-12 17:55:12 UTC
progodlegend wrote:
I think people complaining about the Nestor having no uses are being incredibly uncreative.

If the price comes down, as with this change it should, then I can envision quite a few uses for it.

You guys got to think outside of the box :).

Subcap sized/gate traveling Wreckingball if fit right :P
Captain StringfellowHawk
Forsaken Reavers
#188 - 2014-08-12 17:56:42 UTC
PotatoOverdose wrote:
baltec1 wrote:

PotatoOverdose wrote:

Also keep in mind, it won't go below a billion anytime soon. Even going down to a bil is rather extreme as both the astero and the stratios would need to fall in price by about 25-30% as well to make billion isk nestors a viable option for LP/nexus chip conversion.

Give it a few months and if CCPs maths is right it should land around the same price as a vindi.

Two things:
1) I can't remember the last time I saw a (pvp) vindi in null. I'm sure it happens somewhere, but I haven't seen it. Doesn't exactly bode well for the nestor, does it?

LOL Have you visited provi? I see PVP vindi's all over the place getting dropped.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#189 - 2014-08-12 17:57:00 UTC
LUMINOUS SPIRIT wrote:
OK, so, looking over community feedback, we have one or two die-hard supporters of the nestor, and everyone else disproves of the change, and the ship in general.

CCP, back to you

We have the same people who didn't like the marauder changes vs the people who actually fly battleships in pvp.
Mario Putzo
#190 - 2014-08-12 18:07:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Mario Putzo
Airto TLA wrote:
Mario Putzo wrote:
Oh look a "Just add a maintenance bay" tweak.

The Nestor sucks because it is outclassed by ships a fraction of its price. Even after the changes a Domi is almost always going to be a better combat ship, better in an RR fleet, better in survivability against the price point, EVEN if you halve the price of the Nestor. It will never be an exploratory vessel because it is to slow, it can't cloak, frigates and cruisers do it better at a fraction of the cost.

Just make the thing a Black Ops Logistics ship and be done with it. Get rid of the drone bay in exchange for a fuel bay. Give it a jump drive and let it fill a role that does not exist currently in the game. You have an opportunity to completely change the dynamic of Black Ops Fleets.

BTW Maintenance bays should be removed from the game anyway. People can use MDU's now, and the only reason there is a perception of Carriers being to strong is because of their ability to refit on the fly. Best just to remove them all.

if you replaced some of the DOmis in a group with a some Nestors the total rep power of the group goes up, in exchange for some applied damage against smaller ships. The Nestor has more native Armor and Structure, gets a resist bonus and will no have a lower sig radius, so its tank should be better, than the Domi, and wouldn't you know it, Black Ops battleships cost a similar amount of isk as the Nestor currently does. Seems like a no brainer to me.

This does not apply to situations where isk efficient applies obviously since trading a two nesters for five enemy domis will leave you on the short end.

It is still not cost effective, I can throw away 5 Domi's for the price of a Nestor. That is the number one reason it is an underused ship. Its cost keeps it out of play, and in order to make it comparable cost effective against other "like" ships it would need to come down to 300-400m which will likely never ever happen.

The simplest and easiest way to make this ship effective is to push it into a role that is currently not being filled by other ships, make it worth its cost. As I said Black Ops logistics is currently a role that is not filled, you can gimmick up some ships to do it, you could run logi T3's or heck even RR Sins. but the role of dedicated logi for black ops is nonexistent atm. The Nestor is the perfect fit and its ship line supports the role of a Black Ops logistics vessel.

Its current ship bonuses are what keeps it out of play, they do not stack up against the cost and never will as long as there are other much much cheaper ships to fill that same role.
Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#191 - 2014-08-12 18:22:41 UTC
Kudos to the developers on the Nestor... for trying. I think they are just as painted into a corner in balancing and role-ing this ship as the players are in finding a role for it.

The first problem may have come when the Nestor departed from the template of the SoE modus operandi of the Astero and Stratios. Should have seen that coming when there was no BC hull too. There should have been a BC-sized hull along the lines of the frigate and cruiser, with comparable capabilities, and then see what happened with that. Perhaps, along the lines of other battle cruisers, have link capabilities or some specialized link capabilities where scanning, hacking, etc are known ("hack booster", etc.)

But that did not happen.

So here comes the Nestor. If I found a way to transmit email on tachyons and send an image of an SoE battleship to myself 5 years ago, I would have been stoked. If I sent the stats on it, I would have been confused.

Like now.

The Nestor was a departure. An expensive one to boot. For the price of it, it should be able to warp cloaked, but was there a fear of screaming and crying over imbalance from people who already invest in the blackops? The Nestor does not compare in any respect but even at a stretch, a "logi capable BLOPS ship" would not be a bad thing. (and I hate BLOPS drop as much as anybody else TBH)

The frigate and cruiser had a dose of SoE backstory and mission to it. Then the Nestor comes as a "wormhole ship". Yet players were honing specialized wormhole fits with other hulls since 2009. If the Nestor was introduced in 2009 or early 2010 it would have been great. But now here comes a ship that's quite expensive yet there are other and far cheaper ships that do the same job.

At this point I can't even say what the Nestor should have or be able to do, or what I could do with it. The worst part is the price. It's a gank magnet. I've been to hostile space in T1 exploration fit battle cruisers and seldom come home empty handed and have seen a lot of crews go by with little more than a glance with combat probes. But if they see a Nestor on D-scan, they'll batphone it. It was bad enough with "ahhh an astero on D-scan! Let's kill it! It's only a frigate but that's a boost of my stats and I can kill a frigate!" and now the Nestor "Hey guys, a Nestor! Drop what you are doing!".

No thanks. I can prevent being a target of opportunity, a matter of doing something dumb on my part that keeps me from doing what I'm out there to do. But being in a Nestor means stat-hungry players who would normally pass me up will be gunning for me especially..

... in a ship that can't warp cloaked and has the same hacking/anal bonuses as other ships already in use (not even considering rigging). Read: do the job cheaper.

The fitting bay is a good idea. Anything that adds value to an already expensive hull is a good thing. But this also makes it a ship more geared for group play. All well and good but now it's a juicy AWOX prize and BS level hit points (being a BS) on something that has to be exposed to other players means I would not use this ship unless everybody I was playing with were in the same RL room with me and known as a best friend since high school.

In due time I think this ship will find a place and a role. Hopefully it's not so written off by then that positive changes are left unnoticed.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Airto TLA
Acorn's Wonder Bars
#192 - 2014-08-12 18:42:56 UTC
Mario Putzo wrote:
Airto TLA wrote:
[quote=Mario Putzo]Oh look a "Just add a maintenance bay" tweak.

(Stuff)

This does not apply to situations where isk efficient applies obviously since trading a two nesters for five enemy domis will leave you on the short end.

It is still not cost effective, I can throw away 5 Domi's for the price of a Nestor. That is the number one reason it is an underused ship. Its cost keeps it out of play, and in order to make it comparable cost effective against other "like" ships it would need to come down to 300-400m which will likely never ever happen.

The simplest and easiest way to make this ship effective is to push it into a role that is currently not being filled by other ships, make it worth its cost. As I said Black Ops logistics is currently a role that is not filled, you can gimmick up some ships to do it, you could run logi T3's or heck even RR Sins. but the role of dedicated logi for black ops is nonexistent atm. The Nestor is the perfect fit and its ship line supports the role of a Black Ops logistics vessel.

Its current ship bonuses are what keeps it out of play, they do not stack up against the cost and never will as long as there are other much much cheaper ships to fill that same role.

As I said the question at the moment is not is it cost effective, the question is the Nestor completely trash? The answer would depend on situations like: if two of your pilots in a 15-20 ship Domi group to switch to Nestors, will you become a stronger group. Not that you will have a 20 ship Nestor group instead. It would seem from eyeballing it the two Nestors will make your spider tank stronger and the Nestors are tougher, add another refit option in exchange for a little less RW DPS. And if you really want to win and could care less about the money, this seems to a valid option. With prices coming down, it will fall in more peoples toolbox of possible fleet comps.
Medalyn Isis
Doomheim
#193 - 2014-08-12 18:46:03 UTC
At least it wont be the worst battleship, that place is reserved for the bhargest.

In all seriousness though, I really like the idea of a fitting bay along with repping ability and good drone dps. If Ccp could be lazer focused with sticking t this concept then we d have a very nice unique battleship.
Kirluin
#194 - 2014-08-12 18:56:08 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
LUMINOUS SPIRIT wrote:

CCP, back to you

We have the same people who didn't like the marauder changes vs the people who actually fly battleships in pvp.

This. Remember all that marauder hate?

Cost is holding the nestor back. Get it into the Navy Geddon/Rattlesnake price range and watch.
Xequecal
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#195 - 2014-08-12 18:59:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Xequecal
If you want to make the Nestor commonly used, give it a 5000m3 cargo bay instead so you can run two cap boosters to fuel the remote reps for an extended period.

It's already a 1000 DPS Oneiros, the main problem is it can only be that for a couple minutes until the cap boosters run out.
Draconus Lofwyr
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#196 - 2014-08-12 19:25:30 UTC
another direction for the nestor could be a fun new role, a "white ops" ship

allow the ship maint array to fit up to a frig in size, but then only allow SoE ships in the array. so you can carry one SoE frig.

provide on grid fleet bonus for maneuverability and speed boost for rescuing trapped ships.

and provide a new module only usable on the nestor that will interdict any ewar functionality of the targeted ship or deployable, (shuts down scrams, bubbles, tp's, webs) but doubles the effect of the same ewar directed at the nestor.

give the big boy the ability to act as a sacrificial lamb to rescue a tackled ship.

possibly even the ability to have a specialized jump drive that can jump to a tackled fleet member.

make it the wild card in a conflict
Harvey James
The Sengoku Legacy
#197 - 2014-08-12 19:31:20 UTC
Draconus Lofwyr wrote:

allow the ship maint array to fit up to a frig in size, but then only allow SoE ships in the array. so you can carry one SoE frig.

provide on grid fleet bonus for maneuverability and speed boost for rescuing trapped ships.

and provide a new module only usable on the nestor that will interdict any ewar functionality of the targeted ship or deployable, (shuts down scrams, bubbles, tp's, webs) but doubles the effect of the same ewar directed at the nestor.

give the big boy the ability to act as a sacrificial lamb to rescue a tackled ship.

possibly even the ability to have a specialized jump drive that can jump to a tackled fleet member.

that kind of sounds like you want it too have warfare links .. skirmish and information warfare links

T3's need to be versatile so no rigs are necessary ... they should not have OP dps and tank

ABC's should be T2, remove drone assist, separate HAM's and Torps range, -3 HS for droneboats

Nerf web strength, Make the blaster Eagle worth using

Draconus Lofwyr
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#198 - 2014-08-12 19:40:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Draconus Lofwyr
Harvey James wrote:
Draconus Lofwyr wrote:

that kind of sounds like you want it too have warfare links .. skirmish and information warfare links

not exactly, warfare links improve fleet members, this is more of a targets shutdown of one ship (can even limit the module to only fit one)
as for the skirmish, it could be considered a specialized skirmish, or even a targeted skirmish if needed, you can target one ship to boost its maneuverability and velocity (possibly even with the ability to pierce supers immunity at some sort of cost).
Farnie Podiene
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#199 - 2014-08-12 19:53:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Farnie Podiene
hmm only 5k Ship Maintenance Bay?
..for 1 shuttle
Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#200 - 2014-08-12 20:40:17 UTC
Kirluin wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
LUMINOUS SPIRIT wrote:

CCP, back to you

This. Remember all that marauder hate?

Cost is holding the nestor back. Get it into the Navy Geddon/Rattlesnake price range and watch.

Faction/pirate toys were never really high on the price/effectiveness ratio. It will go down with the new chips drop rate tho so it will indeed help.