These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Shield Amplifiers? Shield Hardeners? Mixture?

Author
ACY GTMI
Veerhouven Group
#1 - 2014-08-07 23:34:37 UTC
I should know the answers to this, but I don't.

I've been basing my shield fits on personal preference rather than effectiveness. It isn't causing me any problems, but I get tired of duplicating the same old fit on different ships.

I've mainly been using shield hardeners, but I finally noticed that the 4 specialized shield Compensation skills only seem to apply to the amplifiers rather than the hardeners.

Which do people use the most?
Lady Naween
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#2 - 2014-08-07 23:38:58 UTC
Hardeners.

the cap usage is minimal and they give better resists (possibly top end deadspace amps might be better but if you are spending that kind of isk).

The ONLY time you want to use amplifiers if you are expecting a lot of neuts (level 5s spring to mind) or some very specific fits (I use a few EM amps on some of my fits because a hardener wont fit and i fully expect to be neut primary)
Ireland VonVicious
Vicious Trading Company
#3 - 2014-08-08 00:00:54 UTC
Size of ship can be a deciding factor too.

That minimal cap can be a ton on a frig but mean nothing to a BS.
ACY GTMI
Veerhouven Group
#4 - 2014-08-08 01:13:57 UTC
Thank you very much. Exactly what I needed to know. So, if I use hardeners, do I get any benefits at all for the specialized Compensation skills?
Lady Naween
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#5 - 2014-08-08 02:00:47 UTC
ACY GTMI wrote:
Thank you very much. Exactly what I needed to know. So, if I use hardeners, do I get any benefits at all for the specialized Compensation skills?


no. only if you use amplifiers.
Val'Dore
PlanetCorp InterStellar
#6 - 2014-08-08 03:46:27 UTC
The compensation skills give you a passive benefit when the hardeners are not activated.

Star Jump Drive A new way to traverse the galaxy.

I invented Tiericide

Hakaari Inkuran
State War Academy
Caldari State
#7 - 2014-08-08 03:49:38 UTC
Val'Dore wrote:
The compensation skills give you a passive benefit when the hardeners are not activated.

In 2011 maybe they did.
Zhilia Mann
Tide Way Out Productions
#8 - 2014-08-08 03:55:18 UTC
Hakaari Inkuran wrote:
Val'Dore wrote:
The compensation skills give you a passive benefit when the hardeners are not activated.

In 2011 maybe they did.


As recently as last year, actually. Still pissed off about that.
Val'Dore
PlanetCorp InterStellar
#9 - 2014-08-08 03:56:46 UTC
Hakaari Inkuran wrote:
Val'Dore wrote:
The compensation skills give you a passive benefit when the hardeners are not activated.

In 2011 maybe they did.

I guess it was changed last year.

Star Jump Drive A new way to traverse the galaxy.

I invented Tiericide

Hakaari Inkuran
State War Academy
Caldari State
#10 - 2014-08-08 04:02:08 UTC
Zhilia Mann wrote:
Hakaari Inkuran wrote:
Val'Dore wrote:
The compensation skills give you a passive benefit when the hardeners are not activated.

In 2011 maybe they did.


As recently as last year, actually. Still pissed off about that.

It really was kind of a silly change, I mean how much did 9-10% offline resistance really hurt game balance anyway?
Lady Rift
What Shall We Call It
#11 - 2014-08-08 14:37:07 UTC
Hakaari Inkuran wrote:
Zhilia Mann wrote:
Hakaari Inkuran wrote:
Val'Dore wrote:
The compensation skills give you a passive benefit when the hardeners are not activated.

In 2011 maybe they did.


As recently as last year, actually. Still pissed off about that.

It really was kind of a silly change, I mean how much did 9-10% offline resistance really hurt game balance anyway?



It made resistance amp useless. and 15% resists across the board is stronger than a DC for shields. that's with only one invul on the ship.


It takes either a pithum-b or A type mod for the resistance amps to be better than a T2 hardener.
Hakaari Inkuran
State War Academy
Caldari State
#12 - 2014-08-08 15:26:03 UTC
Lady Rift wrote:
Hakaari Inkuran wrote:
Zhilia Mann wrote:
Hakaari Inkuran wrote:
Val'Dore wrote:
The compensation skills give you a passive benefit when the hardeners are not activated.

In 2011 maybe they did.


As recently as last year, actually. Still pissed off about that.

It really was kind of a silly change, I mean how much did 9-10% offline resistance really hurt game balance anyway?



It made resistance amp useless. and 15% resists across the board is stronger than a DC for shields. that's with only one invul on the ship.


It takes either a pithum-b or A type mod for the resistance amps to be better than a T2 hardener.

It wasnt 15% across the board, was it? Its 10% with the maxed skills bringing you from 5% to 10%, and its NOT stronger than a DC since a DC gives you a massive EHP boost to structure and armor.
Gizznitt Malikite
Agony Unleashed
Agony Empire
#13 - 2014-08-08 16:21:56 UTC

It was an appropriate change.
Dato Koppla
Kiwis In Space
Dock Workers
#14 - 2014-08-08 20:59:49 UTC
Gizznitt Malikite wrote:

It was an appropriate change.


This, having passive resistance for an active module that's already so powerful (Invulns) was uncalled for and made shields stronger than they already were. At least now you can neut out invulns completely.
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#15 - 2014-08-08 21:29:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=4200517#post4200517

It isn't uncommon to mix active and passive resistance modules:
* Armor: EANM + hardeners
* Shield: EM Amp + hardeners
Dorian Wylde
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#16 - 2014-08-11 15:52:33 UTC
Lady Naween wrote:
Hardeners.

the cap usage is minimal and they give better resists (possibly top end deadspace amps might be better but if you are spending that kind of isk).

The ONLY time you want to use amplifiers if you are expecting a lot of neuts (level 5s spring to mind) or some very specific fits (I use a few EM amps on some of my fits because a hardener wont fit and i fully expect to be neut primary)



This person speaks truth.