These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Science & Industry

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Stupid undercutting

Author
jitajaine
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#21 - 2014-08-11 04:48:07 UTC
Well I though I might as well post on this as I am one of the evil people that do the large price drops all the time, I have to admit I love the tears that I get with it all the time. It is amazing how many people will buy 1 unit of some of an item I unload just to see who is selling it. BUT that being said the main reason I do it is for the stupid profits I make off it, I loved how the one guy said billions a week like it was something special. The way I look at it why bother buying off buy orders when I can knock the price of the Item I want down to just about build cost hold it there and get a bunch of guppies under me selling there wares. Jack my price back up and buy out all the under priced goods' Takes a little bit of capital to do and have been burnt a time or do but for the most part I love the little one's filling my orders and doing most of the work for me.
Jarnis McPieksu
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#22 - 2014-08-11 07:53:23 UTC
jitajaine wrote:
Well I though I might as well post on this as I am one of the evil people that do the large price drops all the time, I have to admit I love the tears that I get with it all the time. It is amazing how many people will buy 1 unit of some of an item I unload just to see who is selling it. BUT that being said the main reason I do it is for the stupid profits I make off it, I loved how the one guy said billions a week like it was something special. The way I look at it why bother buying off buy orders when I can knock the price of the Item I want down to just about build cost hold it there and get a bunch of guppies under me selling there wares. Jack my price back up and buy out all the under priced goods' Takes a little bit of capital to do and have been burnt a time or do but for the most part I love the little one's filling my orders and doing most of the work for me.

Market PVP at the most basic level.

The correct counter is to buy off those heavily undercut goods and relist them back at the "correct" price level.

Repeat until one of you runs out of ISK/goods.

Be aware that people who do these kind of stunts tend to have lots and lots of billions of ISK and are fully capable of eating a few billion of (temporary) losses if it gets them where they want to be at.
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#23 - 2014-08-11 10:52:05 UTC
Kijimae wrote:
Can anyone explain, maybe because YOU are one of those or whatever, why people mean to undercut things for like 10-20 % of the value? Example Rigs, worth price is abt 10 mil, undercut to 8 mil and not a few rigs no, throw in like 30-40 rigs of which half might get sold that day. Are they just plain stupid or is it intentional to **** the price to the ground?
This is a question i always asked myself not only in EvE, in every other MMO Market i have played also. I really wonder whats the reason for stupidity like that because in the end those ppl will not sell any faster because of the amount they want to sell they will get undercut also. Look like they dont want to make any isk when undercutting like that so why even bother selling ****?

I am not frustrated, i am used to nonsense like that but i will never understand why ppl produce stuff in large amounts to just throw it away for nothing. As i said, they dont sell their **** faster due to the large undercut bec others will follow and undercut too. ********.
Sometimes, when I'm bored, I get a spare industry alt to build a massive load of something that has a good margin at the cheapest possible price I can. I'll often pick an item where the buy orders would still make me a profit. I then nuke the margin on that item, with massive undercuts until I bring the margin down to a point where buying then reselling would cost more in tax than the profit. Then I chuckle to myself a bit.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Maria Dragoon
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#24 - 2014-08-11 11:32:50 UTC
Kijimae wrote:
Can anyone explain, maybe because YOU are one of those or whatever, why people mean to undercut things for like 10-20 % of the value? Example Rigs, worth price is abt 10 mil, undercut to 8 mil and not a few rigs no, throw in like 30-40 rigs of which half might get sold that day. Are they just plain stupid or is it intentional to **** the price to the ground?
This is a question i always asked myself not only in EvE, in every other MMO Market i have played also. I really wonder whats the reason for stupidity like that because in the end those ppl will not sell any faster because of the amount they want to sell they will get undercut also. Look like they dont want to make any isk when undercutting like that so why even bother selling ****?

I am not frustrated, i am used to nonsense like that but i will never understand why ppl produce stuff in large amounts to just throw it away for nothing. As i said, they dont sell their **** faster due to the large undercut bec others will follow and undercut too. ********.

Welcome to EvE, Everyone vs everyone.

Please take a ticket so that the tutorial agents can explain to you that everything in this game is PVP

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. Confucius

"A man who talks to people who aren't real is crazy. A man who talks to people who aren't real and writes down what they say is an author."

Ginger Barbarella
#25 - 2014-08-11 15:10:00 UTC
OP, you're assuming a) people are doing it the exact same way you are with the exact same skills, and b) that they are selling below market value (assumed by your post). First, they may be producing the stuff more efficiently than you are, and may CHOOSE to sell below the current market value because they have plenty of room to do so. Maybe they're not interested in playing your inane .01 isk game: I ROUTINELY undercut current market price when selling mission drops just to sell the items. I really don't give a crap a) what the mineral value is and b) what anyone thinks about me doing it. You don't like it? buy my stuff. Help me pad my wallet even further and free up my sell orders. Much appreciated.

"Blow it all on Quafe and strippers." --- Sorlac

Notorious Fellon
#26 - 2014-08-11 16:22:50 UTC
I sometimes undercut a significant amount, with a significant order to drive competition away. Driving away competition is worth the minor loss in some cases.

I have a few budding industrialists in my area of space. I find out what they are selling and I make it and undercut. They will run out of ISK long before me.

It is a long term strategy. Think bigger.

Crime, it is not a "career", it is a lifestyle.

Stubborn Stain
Stubborn Stain Inc
#27 - 2014-08-11 17:21:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Stubborn Stain
Everyone's already addressed the PVP aspect of market pricing, but there is another element at work: people undervalue their own time. Too many industrialists don't factor in the time element into their pricing, especially if they're mining their own minerals. This is one of the biggest differences between the EVE economy and the real economy -- in the real economy, you have to value your time at market value, or you'll go broke pretty quick.

The economic term for this is "oppportunity cost". Basically, it means "is the ISK I make from doing thing Y equal to or greater than the ISK I could make doing thing X". That's why mining your own minerals if you're a manufacturer is almost always a bad idea: the time you spend out in the belts busting rocks is almost always better spent doing something else with higher ISK return. If you price your product without factoring in your time, you're pricing it too low.

But, again: EVE is a game, so by definition people value their in-game time very cheaply. (Otherwise they wouldn't be playing a game, they'd be doing something else.)

Now, it's not all ISK. Maybe you enjoy sitting in a belt mining sometimes. It's some quiet time to make some ISK while you're semi-AFK, or just chatting with friends in local. Maybe you need to generate some ISK to replace ship losses in PVP. BVut these are still ways of valuing your time -- it's not a fixed value, but a variable.

On the "supply" side of the supply -and-demand machanic, the most precious resource is always your time.
Ginger Barbarella
#28 - 2014-08-11 20:11:42 UTC
Stubborn Stain wrote:
Everyone's already addressed the PVP aspect of market pricing, but there is another element at work: people undervalue their own time. Too many industrialists don't factor in the time element into their pricing, especially if they're mining their own minerals. This is one of the biggest differences between the EVE economy and the real economy -- in the real economy, you have to value your time at market value, or you'll go broke pretty quick.

The economic term for this is "oppportunity cost". Basically, it means "is the ISK I make from doing thing Y equal to or greater than the ISK I could make doing thing X". That's why mining your own minerals if you're a manufacturer is almost always a bad idea: the time you spend out in the belts busting rocks is almost always better spent doing something else with higher ISK return. If you price your product without factoring in your time, you're pricing it too low.

But, again: EVE is a game, so by definition people value their in-game time very cheaply. (Otherwise they wouldn't be playing a game, they'd be doing something else.)

Now, it's not all ISK. Maybe you enjoy sitting in a belt mining sometimes. It's some quiet time to make some ISK while you're semi-AFK, or just chatting with friends in local. Maybe you need to generate some ISK to replace ship losses in PVP. BVut these are still ways of valuing your time -- it's not a fixed value, but a variable.

On the "supply" side of the supply -and-demand machanic, the most precious resource is always your time.

My time is what *I* choose to value it at, not you or other opportunity costers. Can I really honestly make 21 ISK more per RLML II if I fly my stuff 25 jumps?!?!?!! Wow!!!

Not. Me valuing my time at what *I* choose to value it at doesn't do a damn thing to sell prices; it doesn't do a damn thing to how quickly my wallet grows. Sure, you go ahead and fly your 2500 RLML IIs 25 jumps for a total sale price of 15000 ISK over local market; I'll be building more stuff and inventing more blueprints while you're trying to avoid the ganks in Uedama and Niarja. But by all means, you keep convincing yourself you're "doing it better" while banging the "opportunity cost" gong. While you beat your cool rhythms and play .01 isk wars I'll be selling my stuff for a profit.

Chuk Ormand
Alternative Solutions Corporation
#29 - 2014-08-11 22:38:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Chuk Ormand
I too must confess to purposely undercutting, but probably not for the reasons mentioned or assumed. I constantly research the market and study blueprints and have never built anything i couldn't profit on. I buy all my materials and seldom mine anymore. Anyone who has manufactured a while always finds that special item that sells for 3 or 4 times its cost to build. (For a while anyway) I make simple tech 1 stuff all the time at good profits. As an example...............

A year or so ago the enormous container was introduced. They became popular with miners, especially ice miners, as they lasted longer than jettison containers and held a lot of cargo until your corp freighter came to empty them. Mining ops flourished after their introduction. I was making and selling them in a lot of ice and ore systems. Back then they cost about 250k isk to build and were selling easily for 750k isk and eventually over 1 mil isk. I made thousands of these and the boom lasted quite a while too. Guess what?? I wasn't the only one making these things. Other manufacturers were making them and selling them for the same inflated prices. There seemed to be some kind of "code of silence" where nobody bragged about their huge profits and the factories just kept rolling them out. Eventually the profits started to fall as i knew they would. I had 2000 of these in systems all over and they stopped selling. Since I already had my fun making billions off of them I suddenly dropped my prices to 10% over cost everywhere. I giggled in my overstuffed chair each time my wallet blinked as i sold each one of them for a "meager" 10% profit!!!

I used those containers as an example. They aren't nearly as profitable now. I have found many other items since i have exploited the same way. Everything i manufacture and sell has been carefully calculated. I have made a few mistakes but never any large enough to bring me down. Whoever could have told me i could have fun with spreadsheets?? LOL -chuk
Christopher Mabata
Northern Accounts and Systems
#30 - 2014-08-12 01:18:46 UTC
I've done this more than a few times, although i do more margin trade than anything else as of late. Its a solid technique if your in a trade war with someone or if your trying to force people out of a non-hub region

♣ Small Gang PVP, Large Fleet PVP, Black Ops, Incursions, Trade, and Industry ♣ 70% Lethal / 30% Super-Snuggly / 110% No idea what im doing ♣

This Message Brought to you by a sweet and sour bittervet

Gilbaron
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#31 - 2014-08-12 09:16:25 UTC
The good thing about other people crashing a market is that it drives down the price. That means reduced margins and that means people stop making stuff. And that means that a shortage is about to develop. You can make a lot of money of shortages.
Kaius Fero
#32 - 2014-08-12 16:02:52 UTC
Wish this could happen in real life too. Just imagine the big companies cutting their profit just for lulz ...

Anselmo & The Illegals

Ginger Barbarella
#33 - 2014-08-12 17:02:19 UTC
Kaius Fero wrote:
Wish this could happen in real life too. Just imagine the big companies cutting their profit just for lulz ...

Plenty of big companies routinely sell below market "value" because they often make up for it in other ways. See Amazon & Microsoft (Xbox) for starters. Same concept applies, only here you get wanna-be economists screaming "opportunity cost!!!" without really having a clue what it means in practice.

Notorious Fellon
#34 - 2014-08-12 17:14:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Notorious Fellon
Kaius Fero wrote:

At the company I work for, we gave away our flagship product for *free* for 1 year, just to achieve market saturation and to sink a competitor.

There are reasons some do it: all this crap about "Opportunity Costs" is just hyper-inflated crying because the whiners are losing at long term market strategies.

Crime, it is not a "career", it is a lifestyle.

Lady Zarrina
New Eden Browncoats
#35 - 2014-08-12 17:37:08 UTC
Yup, if you don't like how a certain item is trading in a certain system, I would move or switch items. Problem solved :)

EVE: All about Flying Frisky and Making Iskie

Previous page12