These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

So, who is in charge of this joint?

Author
Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2014-08-11 04:57:52 UTC
OP, you may be interested in these interviews by Eve Uni:
http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/EVE_University_Class_Library#Special_Q.26A.27s_with_The_Heads_of_Various_Other_Corps_and_Alliances

The interview with The Mittani is especially interesting and takes you through a very brief overview of the history of Goons.

Also a good read for you:
https://wiki.pleaseignore.com/wiki/Dreddit_Corporation_History

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Charax Bouclier
Silvershield Universal
#22 - 2014-08-11 05:18:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Charax Bouclier
Comrade Pripravnik,

Thank you for the effort and thought you provided in your response. It was very informative and the type of reply that I was seeking.

Jenn aSide wrote:
Angeal MacNova wrote:
Suspect OP is a seasoned player. Questions 3 and 4 (particularly with the wording) sound suspicious.

I agree, something doesn't smell right.

*smells armpits*

Oh sorry, that must be me. Spent some time sucking at rocks for ore and personal hygiene wasn't a high priorirty for me.

Sibyyl wrote:
OP, you may be interested in these interviews by Eve Uni:
http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/EVE_University_Class_Library#Special_Q.26A.27s_with_The_Heads_of_Various_Other_Corps_and_Alliances

The interview with The Mittani is especially interesting and takes you through a very brief overview of the history of Goons.

Also a good read for you:
https://wiki.pleaseignore.com/wiki/Dreddit_Corporation_History

Thanks Sibyyl. I'll make sure to give it a read. I'm just trying to get up to warp speed on the landscape and I appreciate the help. :)
De'Veldrin
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#23 - 2014-08-11 14:19:49 UTC
Charax Bouclier wrote:

Thanks Sibyyl. I'll make sure to give it a read. I'm just trying to get up to warp speed on the landscape and I appreciate the help. :)

The landscape of Eve is a flat, nearly featureless dystopian plain dotted with the sand castles of self important potentates who gather sychphants and drones around them while they play at being king of the sandbox.

Actually I think that makes nullsec sound like a lot more fun than it normally is.

At present all of sovereign null is divided pretty neatly down the middle between two groups, which basically sucks for everyone - them included. Unfortunately, the mess that is the Dominion Sov System (which everyone who actually played the game agreed was a Bad Idea™) is the root cause of many of the problems, and until CCP fixes that, nullsec players will continue to farm Providence and High Sec looking for content that doesn't really satisfy.

The current state of the game is a bit like going from a world class wine with every meal to drinking nothing but grape juice. It's not terrible, but you long for the days when it was better.

De'Veldrin's Corollary (to Malcanis' Law): Any idea that seeks to limit the ability of a large nullsec bloc to do something in the name of allowing more small groups into sov null will inevitably make it that much harder for small groups to enter sov null.

Zimmy Zeta
Perkone
Caldari State
#24 - 2014-08-11 15:09:50 UTC
Paranoid Loyd wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
Angeal MacNova wrote:
Suspect OP is a seasoned player. Questions 3 and 4 (particularly with the wording) sound suspicious.

Corp name leads to further questioning of sincerity.

Anybody else suspects that OP might be an alt of Robert Sawyer?

I'd like to apologize for the poor quality of the post above and sincerely hope you didn't waste your time reading it. Yes, I do feel bad about it.

Paynus Maiassus
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#25 - 2014-08-11 15:40:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Paynus Maiassus
Zimmy Zeta wrote:
Paranoid Loyd wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
Angeal MacNova wrote:

To the OP, you'll notice that most of the players in Eve are bittervets who log on to Eve in order to be able to play World of Tanks with their friends, who they have flown with for years, and who will take every possible measure to pidgeonhole you as an idiot or a spy or in some other way be negative toward you, scam you, kill you, and lie about you and ruin you. As a new player I strongly suggest you look at the HERO coalition (TEST, BRAVE, HONOR, and some other alliances) who are the only nullsec group where this attitude doesn't prevail. Highseccers are usually loners who don't talk much though good groups do come along. Like the poster said about Wormholers, Faction Warfare is a generally unbroken part of Eve that has it's own world and politics. Goonswarm claims to represent noobs but actually they are not Eve players, but rather gamers who have met through an out of game forum and are only in our game to ruin our game. Any recruitment effort from them in this game is a scam. Do not join them if there are any strings attached (there will be).

As others have said, nullsec is divided among CFC and N3 as well as Provibloc who live because CFC and N3 let them and HERO. If you want to go to null I can only recommend HERO. Otherwise putter around in high and low and FW.
knobber Jobbler
State War Academy
Caldari State
#26 - 2014-08-11 15:48:48 UTC
Bryen Verrisai wrote:
1. Depends on where you go. CFC may be one of the biggest players in Null, but most people in WH space couldn't care less about them.

2. Too broad of a question.

3. The sov null powerhouses are extremely risk-averse. Good for business, bad for fun.

4. Complicated question that has been discussed by lots of very intelligent people with no real answer agreed upon.

Risk adverse people don't lose titans on casual low sec adventures.
Nick Necro Flamel
#27 - 2014-08-11 15:52:26 UTC

The truth will NOT be found in the forums.

Most players have never even been here.

~ All that live must die, passing through nature to eternity. ~

Paranoid Loyd
#28 - 2014-08-11 15:53:06 UTC
Paynus Maiassus wrote:
To the OP, you'll notice that most of the players in Eve are bittervets who log on to Eve in order to be able to play World of Tanks with their friends, who they have flown with for years, and who will take every possible measure to pidgeonhole you as an idiot or a spy or in some other way be negative toward you, scam you, kill you, and lie about you and ruin you. As a new player I strongly suggest you look at the HERO coalition (TEST, BRAVE, HONOR, and some other alliances) who are the only nullsec group where this attitude doesn't prevail. Highseccers are usually loners who don't talk much though good groups do come along. Like the poster said about Wormholers, Faction Warfare is a generally unbroken part of Eve that has it's own world and politics. Goonswarm claims to represent noobs but actually they are not Eve players, but rather gamers who have met through an out of game forum and are only in our game to ruin our game. Any recruitment effort from them in this game is a scam. Do not join them if there are any strings attached (there will be).

As others have said, nullsec is divided among CFC and N3 as well as Provibloc who live because CFC and N3 let them and HERO. If you want to go to null I can only recommend HERO. Otherwise putter around in high and low and FW.

There is the GRRRR we've been waiting for.

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!

Paynus Maiassus
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#29 - 2014-08-11 16:00:09 UTC
Paranoid Loyd wrote:

There is the GRRRR we've been waiting for.

Also, be sure to check out greedygoblin.blogspot.com for some wisdom.

And finally: GRRRRRR GOONS!!!!!!!!!!!
Toshiro Hasegawa
A Blessed Bean
Pandemic Horde
#30 - 2014-08-11 16:00:43 UTC
cant beleive it took 2 pages

History is the study of change.

Charax Bouclier
Silvershield Universal
#31 - 2014-08-11 16:17:45 UTC
Paynus Maiassus wrote:
Zimmy Zeta wrote:
Paranoid Loyd wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
Angeal MacNova wrote:

Being a 9-year WoW vet, I get how playing the same MMO for an extended period of time can grind down on you. It becomes a force of habit to log on, muck around doing your chores, and not really focusing on the whole purpose of a game - to have fun.

I'd be surprised if there were EVE vets that are having as much of a blast than when they first started out. It's natural. Not worried at all about being pidgeon-holed by people (why do so many people think I am an alt?). Forum banter is very amusing for me, and I'll get more out of it once I have some game experience under my belt.

Not quite sure what direction I will take, but I do assume I'll end up with my favoured (<--- Canadian detected, where's my Tims?) underdog side. Thanks for the suggestions, BTW.
Nick Necro Flamel
#32 - 2014-08-11 16:20:47 UTC

There must be an app to derail threads....there must be!

~ All that live must die, passing through nature to eternity. ~

Ssabat Thraxx
DUST Expeditionary Team
Good Sax
#33 - 2014-08-12 15:00:11 UTC
I came here looking for the join. Bad BAIT
AND SWITCH!

\m/ O.o \m/

"You're a freak ..." - Solecist Project

flakeys
Doomheim
#34 - 2014-08-13 08:42:56 UTC
Yup , OP is a newbro , totally not an alt of anyone trying to troll .... definatly not . Roll

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

flakeys
Doomheim
#35 - 2014-08-13 08:46:08 UTC
Antihrist Pripravnik wrote:
Paranoid Loyd wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
Angeal MacNova wrote:

not sure if you are talking "in-character" or not CoolP

anyway, even if it was a hidden "Grrrr Goons" thread, a bit of objective info would only add the content and prevent the intended troll, if that was the intention in the first place Blink

We are talking null and more specifically goons here , since when does anyone have a reall objective non-biased vision on that. Shocked

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

Mythrandier
Solace Corp
#36 - 2014-08-13 09:23:27 UTC
flakeys wrote:
Antihrist Pripravnik wrote:
Paranoid Loyd wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
Angeal MacNova wrote:

not sure if you are talking "in-character" or not CoolP

anyway, even if it was a hidden "Grrrr Goons" thread, a bit of objective info would only add the content and prevent the intended troll, if that was the intention in the first place Blink

We are talking null and more specifically goons here , since when does anyone have a reall objective non-biased vision on that. Shocked

People who have never played eve? I know it tenuous but that's all I can think of.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -  D. Adams.

Previous page12