These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

So, who is in charge of this joint?

Author
Charax Bouclier
Silvershield Universal
#1 - 2014-08-11 01:11:06 UTC
New pilot here, less than a week in, but I have signed up for 6 months. Loving it so far and I am excited to get involved with the community.

As a lover of MMO politics and intrique, I am very interested in hearing about some of the notable history that has reigned (heard about what happened with BoB), and more importantly, tell me about the current power structure. In particular:

1. Which corporation dominates (Goonsworm?), and how strong is their alliance?

2. What are the competing Alliances?

3. From casual reading so far, I don't hear much about massive wars between competing Alliances. Why is that? Are the so-called PvP powerhouses more interested in carebearish ISK sucking activities and hesitance at sending expensive ships to war with each other?

4. If there is a dominating Alliance, can it reasonably be broken? If so, what's preventing this from happening?

Clearly, I am hoping to see a chaotic galaxy as that would be more fun to pilot in. Hope you fine folks can shed some light on things for me.

Cheers.
Paranoid Loyd
#2 - 2014-08-11 01:14:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Paranoid Loyd
This should be interesting.

I think UAE is in charge.

Yep, UAE is definitely in charge.

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!

cpu939
Eternal Darkness.
The Initiative.
#3 - 2014-08-11 01:28:12 UTC

GoonWaffe, it's over 9000

loads

3. From casual reading so far, I don't hear much about massive wars between competing Alliances. Why is that? Are the so-called PvP powerhouses more interested in carebearish ISK sucking activities and hesitance at sending expensive ships to war with each other?

read more you'll find it out.

4. If there is a dominating Alliance, can it reasonably be broken? If so, what's preventing this from happening?

yes, yes, good leadership

Clearly, I am hoping to see a chaotic galaxy as that would be more fun to pilot in. Hope you fine folks can shed some light on things for me.

this is eve things can and will chnge over night

ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#4 - 2014-08-11 01:32:34 UTC
Charax Bouclier wrote:

Goonswarm is Goonswarm (or is it Goonwaffle?)

They are no stronger than anyone else in the game... they just have more bodies than most at their disposal and lots of money to put said bodies in ships.

Charax Bouclier wrote:

You are going to have to specify here. There are as many alliances as there are players here (400,000+) and they all compete against one another... even ones that are supposedly allied with each other.

Charax Bouclier wrote:

A little from column A... a little from column B.

Also... wars in EVE are fought more with words, meta, diplomacy, and subterfuge rather than soldiers filling the battlefields at dawn and slaughtering each other until dusk.

Charax Bouclier wrote:

By force? Nope. It would require too much time, money, and willpower. This is a game after all.

But that doesn't mean someone can't press a button like last [2] time[s].

Charax Bouclier wrote:
Clearly, I am hoping to see a chaotic galaxy as that would be more fun to pilot in.

Come to low-sec. If you don't fly any battleships or capitals, it's a party down here. Twisted
S'Way
State War Academy
Caldari State
#5 - 2014-08-11 01:50:48 UTC
Who's in charge ? At CCP it's HIlmar.

In game - Whoever can bring the biggest blob.

Charax Bouclier wrote:

Clearly, I am hoping to see a chaotic galaxy as that would be more fun to pilot in. .

That's what most of us would like, but it won't happen until CCP fixes null-sec.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#6 - 2014-08-11 01:54:35 UTC
"who is in charge of this joint?"

Whoever rolls it, controls it.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#7 - 2014-08-11 02:09:27 UTC
Paranoid Loyd wrote:
This should be interesting.

I think UAE is in charge.

Yep, UAE is definitely in charge.

yeah, we decided he was the saviour of null sec the other night.
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=357667&find=unread
Charax Bouclier
Silvershield Universal
#8 - 2014-08-11 02:15:59 UTC
Quote:
You are going to have to specify here. There are as many alliances as there are players here (400,000+) and they all compete against one another... even ones that are supposedly allied with each other.

When I ask about competing Alliances, I meant ones that are in direct conflict with the controllng Alliance, and are actively doing activities to eat away at their power structure. Does such an Alliance exist?

Oh, one other question. I've come across the term "rental alliance". If I understand the term correctly, do corporations actually pay tribute to a powerful Alliance in order to safely conduct certain activities (mining) in nul sec space? Are the people here really that downtrodden and lack self-respect that they do this?

Jered Hakaaros
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#9 - 2014-08-11 02:27:32 UTC
Charax Bouclier wrote:
Quote:

When I ask about competing Alliances, I meant ones that are in direct conflict with the controllng Alliance, and are actively doing activities to eat away at their power structure. Does such an Alliance exist?

Oh, one other question. I've come across the term "rental alliance". If I understand the term correctly, do corporations actually pay tribute to a powerful Alliance in order to safely conduct certain activities (mining) in nul sec space? Are the people here really that downtrodden and lack self-respect that they do this?

Eve isnt primarily about fighting, its about business. If its more economical to rent than to fight, most ppl will choose to do it. And it definitely is at the moment. You can harass a large bloc a bit, but fight them for sov you cannot, except when another big bloc is fully backing you. Which at the moment is not economical for any bloc to do :)

Any players who actually do want to fight are too few and are given too few tools to do so effectively. Welcome to current nullsec.
Angeal MacNova
Holefood Inc.
Warriors of the Blood God
#10 - 2014-08-11 02:46:44 UTC
Suspect OP is a seasoned player. Questions 3 and 4 (particularly with the wording) sound suspicious.

http://www.projectvaulderie.com/goodnight-sweet-prince/

http://www.projectvaulderie.com/the-untold-story/

CCP's true, butthurt, colors.

Because those who can't do themselves keep others from doing too.

Charax Bouclier
Silvershield Universal
#11 - 2014-08-11 03:04:03 UTC
Angeal MacNova wrote:
Suspect OP is a seasoned player. Questions 3 and 4 (particularly with the wording) sound suspicious.

Sir, you flatter me.

My choice of wording was merely to prompt some good responses. Cool

I'm sure if you follow my skill allocation, it will betray my newness.
Serene Repose
#12 - 2014-08-11 03:08:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Serene Repose
As you can see - a veritable fountain of "good" information.

Oh, and the one in "charge" of the joint is usually the one who rolled it.

We must accommodate the idiocracy.

Bryen Verrisai
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2014-08-11 03:18:43 UTC
1. Depends on where you go. CFC may be one of the biggest players in Null, but most people in WH space couldn't care less about them.

2. Too broad of a question.

3. The sov null powerhouses are extremely risk-averse. Good for business, bad for fun.

4. Complicated question that has been discussed by lots of very intelligent people with no real answer agreed upon.
Antihrist Pripravnik
Scorpion Road Industry
#14 - 2014-08-11 04:02:43 UTC
Hello and welcome to EVE Smile

Answers to your questions:
1) Never trust players that tell you who dominates. It's politics ... if you get an intel from a person, you must know his/hers reputation, position and interests in order to decide whether to trust that information or not. So, it's best to extract the information yourself. Here are the couple of links that would help you out with intel gathering and situation status:
- EVE Online Coalition Sov 4/14-7/14 - this is an interactive map view of the 3 months of influence changes in EVE. The alliances in this video are grouped into coalitions.
- for the alliance level DAILY sovereignty maps, bookmark this link: http://go-dl1.eve-files.com/media/corp/Verite/influence.png;
- for extremely detailed maps with LIVE information, bookmark this link: http://evemaps.dotlan.net/. It even includes a list of recently built stations (by player alliances), which alliance gained members and which lost some of it's member base, and all sorts of useful stuff.

Now for MY opinion, which you either believe or not (read above Twisted), no corporation, alliance or coalition dominates the game... yet Smile. There are a couple of powerful factions that hold space and all of them entered a cold war period. There is no real measurement of who is more powerful unless they engage in an open war. CFC (coalition around Goonswarm) has a massive number of pilots, N3 coalition (formed around Northern Coalition. ... by the way, they are not the guys in the North... it's an old story Smile) has massive percentage of veterans and PL (Pandemic Legion alliance) has massive amount of experience on dealing with much larger enemies. Some of the power players are not on the map at all or currently hold minor parts of space (compared to other blocks), but I wouldn't underestimate their enthusiasm. This mainly relates to HERO coalition (TEST, Brave Newbies,...).

Other than sovereignty holding alliances in known space, there are several wormhole based entities that are very powerful, but they are wormhole oriented and not interested in known space politics. It's really a completely different environment with completely different politics, but the fact stays that they do have a fair amount of influence over the W-Space.

2) Answered in #1.

3) Also answered in #1, but I'll repeat and clarify. After the long Halloween war that lasted for several months, there was a massive battle that lasted for days and destroyed an enormous amount of very expensive ships. You can watch official CCP's report here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O56g8KC6CM and real about the battle here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodbath_of_B-R5RB... or just google "bloodbath of B-R5RB. After the end of the war and that massive battle, the summer came to the northern hemisphere where the activity in the game is traditionally lower (sun, beach,... who am I kidding.. ok, it's the Steam summer sale Lol), so the coalitions went into a state of Cold War. Don't worry, you'll start to see much more action in the Autumn (the last big war was named Halloween war for a reason Smile).

4) For the answer on whether there is a dominating alliance, read my first answer Smile Regarding breaking one of the powerful alliances (since none of them are dominating in the true sense of that word), it can be done only from the inside and only by the trusted members of those alliances. That would be difficult if not impossible for an outsider to do. On the other hand, crushing any one of them in the game with traditional battle is possible with enough effort, a lot of time, great planning and a lot of deals and friendships made with whoever wants to make it happen. Players, corporations and alliances that form today's most powerful coalitions have been building their empires, fighting for their space and place in the EVE universe and defending it in numerous wars. That would all be for nothing if you can crush everything they have built in a matter of weeks or a couple of months. But if you dedicate to a cause and play to make it happen, yes it can be done. After all Goonswarm is the perfect example of an alliance that had nothing than a bunch of new players in small ships and managed to fight its way through much bigger, older and wealthier enemies in order to get where they are now.

At the end, if you want to participate in a chaotic galaxy, you can do that right now by heading to Providence region. Something always happens in the Providence region no matter what happens in the rest of the game Smile. It's a political ecosystem for itself.

Oh... and make sure to bookmark the two of the most prominent news blogs about politics and EVE in general:
- http://themittani.com/ (Goonswarm's news channel... slightly biased, but generally a great source of info)
- http://evenews24.com/ (a bit more biased, especially when they are talking against Goonwarm, but overall a great source of information as well)
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#15 - 2014-08-11 04:05:30 UTC
Angeal MacNova wrote:

I agree, something doesn't smell right.
Paranoid Loyd
#16 - 2014-08-11 04:21:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Paranoid Loyd
Jenn aSide wrote:
Angeal MacNova wrote:

Corp name leads to further questioning of sincerity.

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!

Antihrist Pripravnik
Scorpion Road Industry
#17 - 2014-08-11 04:29:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Antihrist Pripravnik
Paranoid Loyd wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
Angeal MacNova wrote:

Corp name leads to further questioning of sincerity.

not sure if you are talking "in-character" or not CoolP

anyway, even if it was a hidden "Grrrr Goons" thread, a bit of objective info would only add the content and prevent the intended troll, if that was the intention in the first place Blink
Paranoid Loyd
#18 - 2014-08-11 04:38:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Paranoid Loyd
Antihrist Pripravnik wrote:

Curious comment care to elaborate?

anyway, even if it was a hidden "Grrrr Goons" thread, a bit of objective info would only add the content and prevent the intended troll, if that was the intention in the first place Blink

I agree, comment was not directed at you, it was a simple observation.

Fix the Prospect!

Antihrist Pripravnik
Scorpion Road Industry
#19 - 2014-08-11 04:44:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Antihrist Pripravnik
Paranoid Loyd wrote:

Well, your name is "Paranoid Loyd" Smile

I'm bad at jokes...
Paranoid Loyd
#20 - 2014-08-11 04:52:00 UTC
Paranoid Loyd wrote:

Well, your name is "Paranoid Loyd" Smile

I'm bad at jokes...

That is pretty good.

Forgive me, I was thinking your comments were said in a passive aggressive context as it was similar to comments I wrote in reply to a hate mail I received today, guess I am a little paranoid. Blink

Fix the Prospect!

12Next page