These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Closed

First post
Author
Nick Necro Flamel
#21 - 2014-08-11 00:48:48 UTC
DeMichael Crimson wrote:
CCP could easily add a 'Clone Created' or 'Licensed' date under the characters name in the characters info box.

Then everyone could see a characters true age regardless of what their employment history shows.

DMC
Good point.

~ All that live must die, passing through nature to eternity. ~

Najenna
Caldari Deep Space Ventures
Brothers of Tangra
#22 - 2014-08-11 00:57:00 UTC
Nick Necro Flamel wrote:
DeMichael Crimson wrote:
CCP could easily add a 'Clone Created' or 'Licensed' date under the characters name in the characters info box.

Then everyone could see a characters true age regardless of what their employment history shows.

DMC
Good point.

^^ This.
Grog Aftermath
Doomheim
#23 - 2014-08-11 00:59:47 UTC
IIshira wrote:
Siths wrote:
IIshira wrote:
Benny Ohu wrote:
Nick Necro Flamel wrote:
I've heard all kinds of explanations as to why some of our older characters have missing corp history but nothing solid.

because there were no npc school corps

Okay corp history is just that "corp history" and not "pilot age history". If you weren't in a corporation why would it show you were?

CCP could add a "Born _____" on the character sheet but this isn't something that is "broken"

I strongly disagree. Evil

My birthday doesn't show up correctly except in my Character Sheet, EveMon and eveboard.

Maybe a certificate or something?

Fact: It should be easy to tell how old "ANY" character is.

Twisted

You disagree with what?

I'm not saying the birthday shouldn't be listed in the bio somewhere. . I was just saying characters birthday isn't listed in the employment history. It's "employment history" so it only shows when a character is employed.

Edit: I'm actually jealous of those lucky enough to have a blank employment history.

Actually the start of the employment history is your birth date.

If a character is deleted a new one of the same name can be made.
Siths
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#24 - 2014-08-11 01:10:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Siths
Grog Aftermath wrote:
Actually the start of the employment history is your birth date.

If a character is deleted a new one of the same name can be made.
The first part of that is not correct. My birth date is 2003.05.10 (SEE HERE).

My employment data shows: "The Spirit Clan 2006.08.05 20:12 to 2006.09.25 18:29" as my first gig.

Not even close to my birth date.

It should be fixed.

*Snip* Please refrain from discussions in a WTS/WTB thread.

Cancel Align NOW
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#25 - 2014-08-11 01:19:19 UTC
I wish my character age (and corp history) was not available for public use. Be thankful that your enemies will underestimate your potential ability when they check on you in game.
Nick Necro Flamel
#26 - 2014-08-11 01:24:31 UTC
That may be good for some and bad for others. Shouldn't the system be fair, firm and consistent?

Grog Aftermath
Doomheim
#27 - 2014-08-11 01:26:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Grog Aftermath
Nick Necro Flamel wrote:
That may be good for some and bad for others. Shouldn't the system be fair, firm and consistent?

Is this a new issue or something that goes back as far as 2006. If it's a new issue then they should be able to fix it, if it's an old issue then they may not be able to.

Edit: Also a lot of the born dates are fairly worthless as there must be loads that have had periods of time where they weren't in use.
Nick Necro Flamel
#28 - 2014-08-11 01:35:53 UTC
Grog Aftermath wrote:
Is this a new issue or something that goes back as far as 2006. If it's a new issue then they should be able to fix it, if it's an old issue then they may not be able to.

It's an old issue but that doesn't mean that it can't be fixed. I'm sure CCP can find a way!

Grog Aftermath
Doomheim
#29 - 2014-08-11 01:41:39 UTC
Nick Necro Flamel wrote:
Grog Aftermath wrote:

It's an old issue but that doesn't mean that it can't be fixed. I'm sure CCP can find a way!

Iirc they did away with a lot of the old code sometime back. Wouldn't surprise me if the records at the time of major changes were only attached to the characters. My feeling is those old character records that were lost are exactly that lost.
Nick Necro Flamel
#30 - 2014-08-11 01:57:31 UTC
As pointed out earlier CCP has access to this information. Read this post by CCP Falcon.

Hazzard
Chaotic Dynamics
#31 - 2014-08-11 02:11:05 UTC
Been here since beta, and the start date is fairly close. Missing history and information on corps, but I had assumed that was because CCP just wasn't recording that information at the time and could't therefore restore it.
Grog Aftermath
Doomheim
#32 - 2014-08-11 02:23:37 UTC
Hazzard wrote:
Been here since beta, and the start date is fairly close. Missing history and information on corps, but I had assumed that was because CCP just wasn't recording that information at the time and could't therefore restore it.

I'm sure if it was easy to restore they would have done it by now. There would be no excuse not to.

I'm still suspicious that they haven't got the data, or if they have it's not in an easily useable format.
Nick Necro Flamel
#33 - 2014-08-11 02:32:57 UTC
Grog Aftermath wrote:
I'm sure if it was easy to restore they would have done it by now. There would be no excuse not to.

I'm still suspicious that they haven't got the data, or if they have it's not in an easily useable format.
They have the data. Everyone's "Character Sheet" shows the actual "Date of Birth"

As pointed out before several other 3rd party sites/tools are able to pull the correct date as well.

It's not a matter of "can" they fix it...it's a matter of "will" they fix it?

Hazzard
Chaotic Dynamics
#34 - 2014-08-11 02:36:23 UTC
Nick Necro Flamel wrote:
[quote=Grog Aftermath]

As pointed out before several other 3rd party sites/tools are able to pull the correct date as well.

It's not a matter of "can" they fix it...it's a matter of "will" they fix it?

Would be nice to have, but I think there are much more pressing things to be asking for honestly.
Nick Necro Flamel
#35 - 2014-08-11 02:41:15 UTC
Hazzard wrote:
Would be nice to have, but I think there are much more pressing things to be asking for honestly.

Perhaps...but if we don't challenge them...how will they ever grow? Shocked

Grog Aftermath
Doomheim
#36 - 2014-08-11 02:43:10 UTC
Nick Necro Flamel wrote:

Seems counter productive as your age is pretty important in this game...IMHO

That's where you are wrong, age as in when a character is born is not that important.

You could have an 11 year old character (birth date) that's no better than a 2 year old character.

How much sp you have in relevant skills (relevant for the position you are applying for), as well as your skills in using those character skills is what's important. Also a complete employment record helps, so they can see what type of corps you were in.

Birth date is probably the least important except for bragging rights, even then it's worthless unless you have the sp to back it up.
Nick Necro Flamel
#37 - 2014-08-11 02:53:18 UTC
Grog Aftermath wrote:
That's where you are wrong, age as in when a character is born is not that important.

You could have an 11 year old character (birth date) that's no better than a 2 year old character.

How much sp you have in relevant skills (relevant for the position you are applying for), as well as your skills in using those character skills is what's important. Also a complete employment record helps, so they can see what type of corps you were in.

Birth date is probably the least important except for bragging rights, even then it's worthless unless you have the sp to back it up.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

Do some research in the Character Bazaar and see if a character's age has value.

I understand your point but if someone wants to get into a pissing match about their age, SP's or experience there should be a method by which they can settle it.

Grog Aftermath
Doomheim
#38 - 2014-08-11 02:57:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Grog Aftermath
Nick Necro Flamel wrote:
Grog Aftermath wrote:

Do some research in the Character Bazaar and see if a character's age has value.

I understand your point but if someone wants to get into a pissing match about their age, SP's or experience there should be a method by which they can settle it.

With age if played comes sp, sp is important not age.

Edit: Also if buying the character from the character bazaar, then there's even less reason to brag about age.
Hazzard
Chaotic Dynamics
#39 - 2014-08-11 03:14:43 UTC
Grog Aftermath wrote:
Nick Necro Flamel wrote:
Grog Aftermath wrote:

With age if played comes sp, sp is important not age.

Edit: Also if buying the character from the character bazaar, then there's even less reason to brag about age.

I would add that bought characters should include something to that effect on the character page. To show the date and the clone swap date or something. Then you know if "that person" was the original owner and there as long as the date says or not.

I can't think it would hurt, because as you say the important thing is the skills not the age. I have plenty of alts that have been around since beta with no SP at all.

Nick Necro Flamel
#40 - 2014-08-11 03:51:06 UTC
We've come full circle.

Customer: "I'd like to buy that car...how old is it?"

Salesman: "It really doesn't matter, it was only driven on Sundays by a little old lady".