These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Science & Industry

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Is anyone bowing out of Industry with these new changes?

First post
Author
Laughable Xhosa Girl
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#221 - 2014-08-05 23:16:49 UTC
GreasyCarl Semah wrote:
Querns wrote:
The more I think about it, the less I'm satisfied with compression requiring a POS. Compression should be ubiquitous and easy. I would like to (again) call for compression being available in stations as well as POS. I'd even be fine with it only being available in empire, or in non-outposts, should the technical aspects of adding a compression service to outposts prove to be a significant barrier. (Hopefully, adding the service to conquerable 0.0 stations like the sort that exist in VFK-IV, 3JN9-Q, and CZDJ-1 would provide a small incentive to actually use these otherwise low-value stations in conquerable nullsec!)

I'd also like to see the reprocessing UI flag uncompressed ore as unprofitable to refine if the compressed ore would have an average price >=120% of its constituent minerals.

Oh dear, sound the alarm, the lords of null sec can't get enough minerals so now we are supposed to make yet another change to allow you crybabies to faceroll your way to more supers.

the job creators of EVE are throwing you a bone
Malcolm Lionel
Lionel War Industries
Gooseflock Featheration
#222 - 2014-08-05 23:49:48 UTC
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:
Steve Ronuken wrote:
Yasique Gautier wrote:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72105811/Pics/Thatcher.jpg

So, what about mining as a profession, a way to earn isk?
I checked the price history and can see it drops, but not very much, prices go down slowly.
But, as I said, 1 mackinaw costs now twice less, this means the ore itself grew larger in terms on cubic meters.
So, my income was cut in half by this 'cruis' patch, which makes miner profession even less profitable, compared to other activities.
What about months of my training skills in mining, how I am being compensated for losing that? Because it seems now I must re-learn and switch to another activities if I want to keep isk/hour the same. Definitely, I'm not going to earn isk by mining, maybe I'll mine for myself to replenish charges ammo, but not for profit. And definitely I'm not anymore able to mine myself a plex. And I dont thing I'm going to re-learn to earn isk by different methods, because I dont want to, it takes time and I must pay for that time, is what I'm not going to do. I was ok, but now they took my job.
Also, I dont see reports of any person or 'team' from ccp to be fired. Why? Because they screwed up the game, ruined industry, and brought to ccp a huge lot of reputational loss.
I'm not paying for subscription until my mining profession is made profitable again, at the same level it was before 'crius', 10 M/hour in high-sec.

*snip* 30. Abuse of CCP employees and ISD volunteers is prohibited. ~ ISD Decoy

Nope. No changes in the volume of scordite. It's 0.15 m3 per unit, and has been since I started playing.

Now there were changes to mining barges with Kronos, but not to the size of a mack's cargohold. and now ones which would cut profitability in half.

Then there are the changes to ore reprocessing, but if you're running at 5,5,4 and no refining implant, it's only about a 6% drop.

Unless, for some reason, you're refining at a 30% station. At which point it's around a 44% drop. Simple solution: Move to another station to do your refining. It's not like 30% stations are common.

Yup, ONLY a 6% drop in mining income.....oh wait, let's have a look at trit prices, shall we? Or pyrite, or just about any other mineral price in the past 2 weeks. Trit is only down 20% in the past month, and still falling.

But...but....miners can now sell compressed ore to the cartels. Of course, said miner now has the joy and privilege of operation a POS to compress said ore. And the additional cost of running a POS , plus the additional risk of getting war dec griefed, that is trivial, right?

So basically, the high sec miner is facing about a 25% drop in revenue in the past month, or he can try to mitigate that with putting a POS, which increases his costs, and with just a marginal increase in risk from griefers. Yup, Crius was just awesome for high sec miners. And for high sec mission runners, it is so much better, as there is virtually no incentive to waste time salvaging and re-processing items as half the efficiency, let alone the 20% drop in price of the minerals.

I am positive that the drop in the PCU has nothing to do with the hack job done on high sec players. I can only wait with great anticipation what further improvements to high sec with the research changes, plus the overhaul of missions, and naturally some "tweaks" to high sec incursions.

Simple solution, just move to null and mine there. Problem solved. Chances our its even more organized in null with full mining boosts, and miners can make even more money.
Careby
#223 - 2014-08-06 02:55:37 UTC
Malcolm Lionel wrote:
Simple solution, just move to null and mine there. Problem solved. Chances our its even more organized in null with full mining boosts, and miners can make even more money.

Just make sure your corp doesn't screw you over too badly on the buyback. Some of those ore buyback programs would make a jita isk doubler cringe.
Paynus Maiassus
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#224 - 2014-08-06 17:13:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Paynus Maiassus
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:
Steve Ronuken wrote:
Yasique Gautier wrote:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72105811/Pics/Thatcher.jpg

So, what about mining as a profession, a way to earn isk?
I checked the price history and can see it drops, but not very much, prices go down slowly.
But, as I said, 1 mackinaw costs now twice less, this means the ore itself grew larger in terms on cubic meters.
So, my income was cut in half by this 'cruis' patch, which makes miner profession even less profitable, compared to other activities.
What about months of my training skills in mining, how I am being compensated for losing that? Because it seems now I must re-learn and switch to another activities if I want to keep isk/hour the same. Definitely, I'm not going to earn isk by mining, maybe I'll mine for myself to replenish charges ammo, but not for profit. And definitely I'm not anymore able to mine myself a plex. And I dont thing I'm going to re-learn to earn isk by different methods, because I dont want to, it takes time and I must pay for that time, is what I'm not going to do. I was ok, but now they took my job.
Also, I dont see reports of any person or 'team' from ccp to be fired. Why? Because they screwed up the game, ruined industry, and brought to ccp a huge lot of reputational loss.
I'm not paying for subscription until my mining profession is made profitable again, at the same level it was before 'crius', 10 M/hour in high-sec.

*snip* 30. Abuse of CCP employees and ISD volunteers is prohibited. ~ ISD Decoy

Nope. No changes in the volume of scordite. It's 0.15 m3 per unit, and has been since I started playing.

Now there were changes to mining barges with Kronos, but not to the size of a mack's cargohold. and now ones which would cut profitability in half.

Then there are the changes to ore reprocessing, but if you're running at 5,5,4 and no refining implant, it's only about a 6% drop.

Unless, for some reason, you're refining at a 30% station. At which point it's around a 44% drop. Simple solution: Move to another station to do your refining. It's not like 30% stations are common.

Yup, ONLY a 6% drop in mining income.....oh wait, let's have a look at trit prices, shall we? Or pyrite, or just about any other mineral price in the past 2 weeks. Trit is only down 20% in the past month, and still falling.

But...but....miners can now sell compressed ore to the cartels. Of course, said miner now has the joy and privilege of operation a POS to compress said ore. And the additional cost of running a POS , plus the additional risk of getting war dec griefed, that is trivial, right?

So basically, the high sec miner is facing about a 25% drop in revenue in the past month, or he can try to mitigate that with putting a POS, which increases his costs, and with just a marginal increase in risk from griefers. Yup, Crius was just awesome for high sec miners. And for high sec mission runners, it is so much better, as there is virtually no incentive to waste time salvaging and re-processing items as half the efficiency, let alone the 20% drop in price of the minerals.

I am positive that the drop in the PCU has nothing to do with the hack job done on high sec players. I can only wait with great anticipation what further improvements to high sec with the research changes, plus the overhaul of missions, and naturally some "tweaks" to high sec incursions.

Dins, you need to set up a small POS and compress. I am a nullsec manufacturer who doesn't have enough resources for a big mining fleet so I buy materials in highsec and ship them in. Compressed ores are so damned expensive that I started buying non compressed ores and compressing them myself. I'm saving tons and tons of money with just a day or so of ice mining to keep the tiny POS running. Not only that but I am making bank buying uncompressed ore and compressing and reselling compressed ore right there in Jita. In fact my dilemma now is that my highsec toon that is doing the ore hauling and compressing is also my Rorqual pilot and booster in null, and I think the guy is actually more profitable in highsec. I might actually have to reactivate an old account to keep highsec compression and nullsec boosting going.

dins, STFU and adapt or quit the damned game. Really I think you should just quit because you have been so obviously unhappy for so long. That and I am tired of hearing from you.
Jarnis McPieksu
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#225 - 2014-08-07 08:26:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Jarnis McPieksu
Same here.

I have buy orders out (at prices higher than Jita mineral price value of the ores at highsec "perfect" refine) right now for 10B+ in ore around High Sec and I'd buy more but there is not enough supply.

High sec miners! Mine more, sell the ore, stop refining and wasting ISK.

---

Edit: For the math-challenged high sec miners, as an example, 1 Unit of Veldspar currently is worth around 15.60 ISK if refined to Tritanium. I'm happily buying this stuff at 17-18 ISK per unit uncompressed around High Sec and will do the work from that point on (haul, compress).

Scordite is worth around 26 ISK when refined to Tritanium and Pyerite, I'm happily paying 28 ISK per unit for the ore.

Compressed ore *buy orders* in Jita for Veldspar right now are around 2000-2200 ISK per unit (so 20-22 ISK per Veldspar unit) and for Scordite about 3000-3100 (or 30-31 ISK per unit) Plagioclase has even slightly higher spread (mineral value vs. compressed ore value). In short, compressed ore is easily 10-25% more valuable than the minerals (at high sec refine rates) inside the ore. DO NOT REFINE YOUR STUFF IF YOU LIKE ISK.

TLDR (Veldspar):
- Refine: 15.6 ISK per unit
- Sell raw ore: 17+ ISK per unit
- Sell compressed ore: 20+ ISK per unit

The math is not hard. Volume is still far too small. I could move 100B isk of this stuff in a month without issues. Supercaps eat piles and piles of this stuff...
Paynus Maiassus
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#226 - 2014-08-07 16:54:46 UTC
Jarnis McPieksu wrote:
Same here.

I have buy orders out (at prices higher than Jita mineral price value of the ores at highsec "perfect" refine) right now for 10B+ in ore around High Sec and I'd buy more but there is not enough supply.

---

Edit: For the math-challenged high sec miners, as an example, 1 Unit of Veldspar currently is worth around 15.60 ISK if refined to Tritanium. I'm happily buying this stuff at 17-18 ISK per unit uncompressed around High Sec and will do the work from that point on (haul, compress).

Scordite is worth around 26 ISK when refined to Tritanium and Pyerite, I'm happily paying 28 ISK per unit for the ore.

Compressed ore *buy orders* in Jita for Veldspar right now are around 2000-2200 ISK per unit (so 20-22 ISK per Veldspar unit) and for Scordite about 3000-3100 (or 30-31 ISK per unit) Plagioclase has even slightly higher spread (mineral value vs. compressed ore value). In short, compressed ore is easily 10-25% more valuable than the minerals (at high sec refine rates) inside the ore. DO NOT REFINE YOUR STUFF IF YOU LIKE ISK.

TLDR (Veldspar):

The math is not hard. Volume is still far too small. I could move 100B isk of this stuff in a month without issues. Supercaps eat piles and piles of this stuff...

Yes.

The current situation is an incredible boon for high sec manufacturers. I almost regret moving to null. If miners would simply buy a blueprint and convert their minerals to manufactured product they would see massive profits because mineral prices are so low but from the stock of items that I monitor prices of manufactured products have not fallen. Rather than whine about falling mineral prices they should just make something with their minerals and sell that.

This patch has resulted in such a good situation for high sec it isn't even funny.
Kazekage Dono
Pertonas Development Inc
#227 - 2014-08-09 18:57:54 UTC
Jarnis McPieksu wrote:
Same here.

---

TLDR (Veldspar):

I hope they keep refining their stuff Cool. Maybe it makes that boring blue donut do something again.
Jarnis McPieksu
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#228 - 2014-08-10 08:38:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Jarnis McPieksu
If anything, the lack of compressed ore on the market is making large scale supercap SRP iffy at the moment. Even if you have the whole production line set up to crank out oversized ego buffs with doomsdays and things, it won't crap out a single Titan if there is no minerals and only way to haul mass quantities at the moment without ridiculous reprocessing losses is compressed ore.

I'm happy to see that the volume is slowly creeping up.

http://www.eve-markets.net/detail?typeid=28432&limit=14#history

In the meanwhile, Tritanium keeps sliding... Supercap builders exited the buy side :)

http://www.eve-markets.net/detail?typeid=34&limit=30#history

Edit: also this is a hilarious graph:

http://www.eve-markets.net/detail?typeid=28432&limit=14#supply

Demand is just running away... :)
Yasique Gautier
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#229 - 2014-08-10 11:15:59 UTC
"Boon for high-sec miners" is called "-30% to income".
Aapir
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#230 - 2014-08-10 11:35:04 UTC
Yasique Gautier wrote:

"Boon for high-sec miners" at least for those with the ability to read.
Jarnis McPieksu
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#231 - 2014-08-10 11:52:23 UTC
Yasique Gautier wrote:

Uh, you are bad at EVE.

Highsec miner profits are up if they are smart.

Yes, for full benefit you may need a compression array (ie. small POS, bit of investment) but there are plenty of uncompressed ore buyers around that are paying more than the mineral content worth of the ore.

Veldspar unit is worth less than 15 ISK in minerals (high sec refine values). Open your market window and see what people are paying for Veldspar.

Then do this careful bit of math;

Value of 1 veldspar unit in tritanium (~15 ISK)

vs

Market value of 1 veldspar unit (18-21 ISK depending if raw or compressed)

15 < 18-21

And oh look, there's your missing "30% profit" too.

TijsseN
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#232 - 2014-08-10 12:18:31 UTC
The situation regarding the availability of compressed ore in Jita has kind of suprised me. I was expecting that most people got the core of the industry update regarding importing minerals to 0.0 for industry:

In the old pre - crius environment the ore would be refined to minerals without loss which were then put on the market and bought by a builder to be "compressed" by making modules, which were then imported into 0.0. These modules would be refined back into materials.

In the new environment ore can be directly compressed without costs and put on the market to be refined directly when it is needed for building stuff. Since only Anchoring LVL 4 is needed to put up a POS in highsec I do not see any difficulties to online a POS for compression in a mining system and hauling it to jita using a freighter service.

Apparently compressed ore is now the market and minerals not anymore.

Yasique Gautier
Gallente Federation
#233 - 2014-08-10 15:16:45 UTC
I dont have time, resources and desire to install POS and protect it, because I play occasionally and alone.
I'm not going to argue, the fact is clear and solid : before crius I was selling a full ore cargo for 11-12M, now same full cargo of same ore costs 7-8M, here's my 30% of income.
I do not understand why I'm working hard on something everybody needs, and becoming even more poor than I was.
This is communism and I'm outta here.
Jarnis McPieksu
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#234 - 2014-08-10 17:07:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Jarnis McPieksu
Yasique Gautier wrote:
I dont have time, resources and desire to install POS and protect it, because I play occasionally and alone.
I'm not going to argue, the fact is clear and solid : before crius I was selling a full ore cargo for 11-12M, now same full cargo of same ore costs 7-8M, here's my 30% of income.
I do not understand why I'm working hard on something everybody needs, and becoming even more poor than I was.
This is communism and I'm outta here.

Yes, you are bad at EVE. I'll try to assist;

There is nothing to protect. High sec POS cannot be shot at without a war dec.

You only need a small tower and a compression array. Nothing else.

You put these down, anchored - tower first and once anchored, then the array, with some fuel blocks inside & few charters. OFFLINE. Zero fuel cost (why pay fuel? The tower and array are CONCORD-protected unless you are wardecced).

Once you have a pile of ore to compress (many freighterloads), you power on the tower for an hour (insignificant fuel cost), fly ore back and forth with a freighter and compress it, then power down the tower and take the more valuable compressed ore (in one or more loads, depending on your fear of ganks) to Jita and sell it for good ISK.

If you are wardecced, you have 24 hours to unanchor the compression array and the tower, removing any risk whatsoever to your equipment. Ore / compressed ore is never in the POS for more than a few seconds so they are never in any risk.

The only theoretical issue is finding an empty moon near your base of operations (preferably same system). If you are very close to Jita, moons may be taken. But look around, there are free spots. It is perfectly safe to scout in high sec, no POS can shoot you unless you are at war with someone.

Alternatively you can look around high sec for ore buyers that buy the ore at a higher price than what you'd get for your minerals. Move your mining operations there and mine for the guy who clearly has a compression array available.

Simple as that.

Also your claim that the Ore load has gone down in value is false. Raw ore price has gone up quite a bit since Crius launch. Only the mineral price has gone down because minerals in Jita have no value to supercapital builders any more, so mineral prices have gone down due to oversupply. DO NOT REFINE. You do not have the facilities or the skills/implants for it. Leave that for the producers who will ultimately use the minerals.
Yasique Gautier
Gallente Federation
#235 - 2014-08-10 17:53:03 UTC
You, sir, most likely havent looked in price history very long time. Because what I see right now - is scordite and plagioclase prices steadily going down, vedlspar not so fast, but still goes down as well.
Regarding your strategy, its not viable for a solo miner, because its much more complex compared to just mine and sell, and competitions between 1 person and a corp has predictable result. Even if I occupy 1 moon - this is going to last until any other corp comes up and drives me away.
Jarnis McPieksu
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#236 - 2014-08-10 18:10:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Jarnis McPieksu
Yasique Gautier wrote:
You, sir, most likely havent looked in price history very long time. Because what I see right now - is scordite and plagioclase prices steadily going down, vedlspar not so fast, but still goes down as well.
Regarding your strategy, its not viable for a solo miner, because its much more complex compared to just mine and sell, and competitions between 1 person and a corp has predictable result. Even if I occupy 1 moon - this is going to last until any other corp comes up and drives me away.

Compressed Veldspar in Jita is around 2100-2200 (or 21-22ISK per Veldspar unit)
Compressed Scordite in Jita is ~3100 or 31 ISK per Scordite unit
Plagioclase is 6400+ (64 ISK PU of raw ore)

Of course ore compressors will happily buy up low price ore if someone is silly enough to sell it at such a low price. If you look at Eve-Market graphs, the buy and sell order prices are getting further away from each other. That means sell orders are getting sold and buy orders are often ignored as too low-ball. Someone is vacuuming up the stuff in a hurry to keep their supercap builds going and there is no coordinated buy ordering going on (yet?)

Not sure how things are elsewhere, but looking at The Citadel market, the Veldspar sell price (raw ore) seems to be around 18 ISK and buy orders are around that price point as well. Scordite buy and sell orders are around 27 ISK. If your local market is not like this and buy orders are lowballs, someone is trying to rip you off :)

Even at these prices, there is a healthy margin for someone with a POS and some interest in hauling as Jita price for compressed stuff is ~10-15% higher and the volume you can shift this stuff is seriously huge.

Eve Market graph says that in 14 days, the sell order price has gone from 17.2 ISK to 19 ISK and if you look at this supply/demand graph:

http://www.eve-markets.net/detail?typeid=1230&limit=14

...I'd say there is demand.
Elena Thiesant
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#237 - 2014-08-10 18:26:30 UTC
Yasique Gautier wrote:
Even if I occupy 1 moon - this is going to last until any other corp comes up and drives me away.

Not unless you're putting up a tower 1 jump from a trade hub. Further out (4+ jump) there are lots of empty moons and hence no good reason for a corp to wardec you for the moon. And if they do, the tower is down within an hour and safe, and you can put it back up (at a different moon) once the dec is over.

A system 3 jumps from Dodi has empty moons and has had offline towers at other moons for over 6 months.
Drago Shouna
Doomheim
#238 - 2014-08-10 19:10:11 UTC
Yasique Gautier wrote:
I was nearly perfect miner, making ~10M isk per 1 mackinaw of scordite, now I noticed it now costs TWICE less.
Thank you CCP.
Not going to sell ore - it is just not worth the time and effort, do not want to train refine skills for 2 months to reach previous levels of isk/hour.
I wish it all wouldn't be happening, not mentioning PLEX prices jump suddenly without any reasons.
What am I doing here anyway, still, its just a waste of my time now.

Rubbish, In my 2 1/2 years here Scordite has never been worth 10m a load in a Mack.

Solecist Project...." They refuse to play by the rules and laws of the game and use it as excuse ..." " They don't care about how you play as long as they get to play how they want."

Welcome to EVE.

Scam Newton
Omega Blue Balls of New Eden
The Monarchy
#239 - 2014-08-28 02:41:35 UTC
Colten Tokila wrote:
I have read a lot of mixed feelings about the patch but the biggest thing seems to be that you no longer need an indy alt, or even an indy focused character to make things effectively now. Due to this and the increased cost to make ships do any of you plan to move on to another facet of Eve

Yes. We are shutting down Industry. As of 19 August we started seeing the dramatic effects of new Industrialists getting their products into the market. Way too many items are flooding the market right above cost. We were small but had 34 billion out in the market and another 8 billion on the shelf ready to go. We had been doing profit-sharing which was very nice for our mates. Not sure what we’ll do next if anything. It all seems kind of pointless now.

EVE used to have a niche because the learning curve was so tremendously steep and to do things well you had to invest the time in skills and organization. It just appears that CCP wants to really level the playing field sooner for new people, and at the same time they are killing off what was really so attractive about this game.
Cipher Jones
The Thomas Edwards Taco Tuesday All Stars
#240 - 2014-08-30 17:52:14 UTC
Colten Tokila wrote:
I have read a lot of mixed feelings about the patch but the biggest thing seems to be that you no longer need an indy alt, or even an indy focused character to make things effectively now. Due to this and the increased cost to make ships do any of you plan to move on to another facet of Eve

Nope. At first was pretty pissed that my mission running contribution to the industry alt was nerfed hard, found a way around it, and fired up an old alt to help.

internet spaceships

are serious business sir.

and don't forget it