These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Astero - Possible to tank it to survive Ghost Sites?

Author
Yishna Strone
We Aim To MisBehave
#1 - 2014-08-05 10:11:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Yishna Strone
So i was reading up on ghost sites and how they deal explosion damage, and most of the posts i've read suggested using a cruiser.

Looking at this information it seems that ghost sites deal up to 11,000 damage in explosive damage(Not counting the damage the rats do.)

I played around with EFT, and with this fit below, you would be having 85.6% explosive resistance on armor, which would reduce the explosion damage to 1584. So the ship *should* survive the damage done by the explosion since it has 2160 armor before implants come in.

This of course assumes you only get hit by one explosion from the can.
I have not actually seen the explosion myself, but i read that the cans actually only explode after the rats warp in and shoot them? Do the rats point/scram you?

[Astero, Ghost Sites Astero]
Damage Control II
200mm Reinforced Steel Plates II
Armor Explosive Hardener II
Armor Explosive Hardener II

Limited 1MN Microwarpdrive I
Relic Analyzer II
PL-0 Shipment Probe
Data Analyzer II

Covert Ops Cloaking Device II
Sisters Core Probe Launcher, Sisters Core Scanner Probe

Small Gravity Capacitor Upgrade I
Small Trimark Armor Pump II
Small Trimark Armor Pump II

If anyone else has tried running these in a frigate tanked specifically to survive it, i would very much appreciate their input.

*Edit*

Found JohnnyPew's video on his attempt in a Stratios in SiSi.
It looks like he took a ton of damage from the ships themselves, but from other posts the information seems to indicate that the rats don't shoot you, but they actually shoot the cans themselves and causes them to explode.
Is this the case or am i mistaken?

Yishna
Froggy Storm
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#2 - 2014-08-05 11:14:59 UTC
Really if you are still there for the enemies you are actually looking for more trouble than its worth. Drop into site lock and scan all the containers then hack the best one or two.

With decent luck/skill at the mini game you'll be long gone before there is any trouble.
Yishna Strone
We Aim To MisBehave
#3 - 2014-08-05 11:24:40 UTC
Froggy Storm wrote:
Really if you are still there for the enemies you are actually looking for more trouble than its worth. Drop into site lock and scan all the containers then hack the best one or two.

With decent luck/skill at the mini game you'll be long gone before there is any trouble.

Thats what i sort of did earlier (Was my first time attempting a ghost site, and i was in a asteros which wasn't tanked specifically for it), i warped in, hacked the closest container and warped out because i was afraid the can might explode pretty quickly.

Do you generally have time to scan all of them before attempting a hack on the most valuable one?

(I set my stopwatch for 30 seconds, and warped out when the my timer ended.)
Froggy Storm
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#4 - 2014-08-05 12:04:38 UTC
When I was doing them I used a tengu and locked all four cans first then dropped them off as I scanned them if they didn't have anything worth the trouble. Usually it was left with one worth while but on rare occasion 2. Then just MWD to can and pop it open.

Only very rarely did the rats show by the time I was done. But of course the milage will vary.
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#5 - 2014-08-05 12:24:17 UTC
It is also much easier to avoid the blasts with the removal of loot spew, as you can set very low speed away and then prop and full speed near the end of your timers to get out fast.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Making battleships worth the warp

Barton Breau
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2014-08-05 12:33:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Barton Breau
Dunno about elsewhere, but in high the timer is very very random, i had sites when the rats appeared before i finished the first can, few even while scanning, on the other hand i had some when i hacked all and then waited for a minute or so for them to appear (out of curiosity).

So far, i always got fired at when the rats arrived and i was at the can, so it would probably be good to have a few seconds worth of rat specific tank on ones ship, they do point.

A astero is certainly bold, on 30-38k ehp i do sometimes get to 20-30% armor after a explosion and getting shot at, especially if i try to finish hacking a can :)

EDIT: the rats do hit hard, some sources mention 2k dps together
Elly Alfarius
OEG
Goonswarm Federation
#7 - 2014-08-05 13:17:06 UTC
Astero with 35k ehp?
Fit pls?
Barton Breau
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2014-08-05 14:21:54 UTC
Elly Alfarius wrote:
Astero with 35k ehp?
Fit pls?

Let me rephrase:

"A astero is certainly bold, on (a different ship with) 30-38k ehp i sometimes get to 20-30% armor..."

:)
Yishna Strone
We Aim To MisBehave
#9 - 2014-08-05 16:17:03 UTC
Hmm...I guess i really should use a cruiser for this.

Don't really want to lose an astero to a misclick causing the can to pop me, or getting unlucky with the timers since i tend to be running around with loot already when i spot these ghost sites.

Thank you guys for your responses!
Netan MalDoran
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#10 - 2014-08-06 15:51:39 UTC
Not sure if this is true as I have heard it elsewhere and I have never run a ghost site, but said intel stated that the damage is not literally 'explosive' but rather a type of ambient damage that you can't resist against, he suggested a large buffer tank for raw HP's.

"Your security status has been lowered." - Hell yeah it was!

Falcon's truth