These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Not exactly new, but back after 2 years..

First post
Author
128th ABC123
Victorious Bastards
#1 - 2014-08-01 11:06:18 UTC
Hi there!

Been playing since end 2006 till mid 2012 and now casually (like thats possible with eve) getting back into it.

Just wondering about some stuff, hopefully people can enlighten me a bit?

1. Where is COAD? Did another forum section replace it? I miss the spacesoapopera.
2. Who's who? Whats going on in 0.0 politics?
3. What is the latest meta? Last i played tengus and loki's with 100mn pirate AB's ruled the skies and unprobeable speedwarfare command ship alts hid in savespots... anything change?
4. New ships? I saw some t2 destroyers and some screencaps of something big?
5. Major new changes/features the last 2 years?

Well that was it I guess, hope somebody can answer!
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#2 - 2014-08-01 11:22:20 UTC
CAOD: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=topics&f=266

New ships - A new t1 destroyer (no t2) for each race. Venture/Prospect if you like mining or gas harvesting. Mordus Legion ships.

Many many ship balancing changes. Vast majority of ships are now ones you'd want to use.

http://www.eveonline.com/expansions/ to get the feature lists.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Antihrist Pripravnik
Scorpion Road Industry
#3 - 2014-08-01 11:43:01 UTC
128th ABC123 wrote:
Hi there!

Been playing since end 2006 till mid 2012 and now casually (like thats possible with eve) getting back into it.

1. Where is COAD? Did another forum section replace it? I miss the spacesoapopera.
3. What is the latest meta? Last i played tengus and loki's with 100mn pirate AB's ruled the skies and unprobeable speedwarfare command ship alts hid in savespots... anything change?

1. Where it always was... here : https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=topics&f=266. The only difference now is that it's not visible until you log in... which is for the betterment of the humanity in general Lol;

2. Influence map: http://go-dl1.eve-files.com/media/corp/Verite/influence.png. Blue guys on the bottom and top are renting from Goons (like genuinely, no scam Chribba secured contracts). Brown guys on the right are also renters, but with different landlords (NC., Nulli Secunda (? ... I guess... who cares). Green guys on the top-right are renters as well - renting from Pandemic legion. The left half of the map are Goons and their allies.

3. Some would say "1000 Megathrons", but that's not exactly true. It used to be sentry Ishtars until very recently - until the nerfbat smashed them to oblivion. Slowcats are still used, but the real meta is supers and Titans: here, here and here. After that monstrosity, EVE rushed into cold war that would make RL cold war look bleak.

- Sisters of EVE (scanning/hacking/hit-and run): Astero (frigate), Stratios (cruiser), Nestor (battleship);
- Mordus (heavily overpriced and arguably overpowered): Garmur (frigate), Orthus (cruiser), Barghest (battleship);

I don't know exactly the which ships were in the game when you left, but there have been added:
- tier 3 battlecruisers that use battleship sized guns (Tornado, Naga, Oracle, Talos);
- new destroyers (Dragoon, Corax, Algos, Talwar)
- mining frigates: Venture (t1) and Prospect (T2)
- definitively something that I forgot to mention;

- Industry is completely changed (a couple of days ago). Slots are removed and became infinite, while newly introduced tax is serving as a catalyst. You don't need faction standing any more to anchor a POS in highsec. You can anchor a POS everywhere, even in 1.0 systems. Rorqual became useless, since you can use a Compression Array even on a Highsec POS. Module and ship reprocessing has been nerfed to 50% efficiency max, but the ore compression is now more effective and useful. T2 BPO's are nerfed to be only slightly better than using invention (finally... after more than 5 years... should have been removed altogether, but the nerf bat did a pretty decent job already);
- Suicide ganking became FOTY and miners in highsec are apparently paying for "mining permits" (search: CODE. - with a dot);
- Hacking sites are refactored and contain a hacking mini-game;
- "Ghost sites" are introduced pretty much everywhere;
- Ships are no longer divided in "Tiers";
- Pretty much every ship in the game have been changed in the last year or two. Massive balancing done everywhere.
- Deployable mobile modules launched from ship's cargohold. Browse the market to see all of them. I'll mention Siphon Unit that can steal moon materials from a POS;
- NeX store is dead - it is replaced by New Eden Store with more reasonable prices. Monocle got an axe;
- Ship skins are introduced in their initial version (a blueprint obtainable through New Eden Store). CCP is working on the next iteration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUGtSzngCrU&t=3m37s
128th ABC123
Victorious Bastards
#4 - 2014-08-01 17:11:59 UTC
Antihrist Pripravnik wrote:
128th ABC123 wrote:
Hi there!

1. Where it always was... here : https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=topics&f=266. The only difference now is that it's not visible until you log in... which is for the betterment of the humanity in general Lol;

2. Influence map: http://go-dl1.eve-files.com/media/corp/Verite/influence.png. Blue guys on the bottom and top are renting from Goons (like genuinely, no scam Chribba secured contracts). Brown guys on the right are also renters, but with different landlords (NC., Nulli Secunda (? ... I guess... who cares). Green guys on the top-right are renters as well - renting from Pandemic legion. The left half of the map are Goons and their allies.

3. Some would say "1000 Megathrons", but that's not exactly true. It used to be sentry Ishtars until very recently - until the nerfbat smashed them to oblivion. Slowcats are still used, but the real meta is supers and Titans: here, here and here. After that monstrosity, EVE rushed into cold war that would make RL cold war look bleak.

- Sisters of EVE (scanning/hacking/hit-and run): Astero (frigate), Stratios (cruiser), Nestor (battleship);
- Mordus (heavily overpriced and arguably overpowered): Garmur (frigate), Orthus (cruiser), Barghest (battleship);

I don't know exactly the which ships were in the game when you left, but there have been added:
- tier 3 battlecruisers that use battleship sized guns (Tornado, Naga, Oracle, Talos);
- new destroyers (Dragoon, Corax, Algos, Talwar)
- mining frigates: Venture (t1) and Prospect (T2)

- Industry is completely changed (a couple of days ago). Slots are removed and became infinite, while newly introduced tax is serving as a catalyst. You don't need faction standing any more to anchor a POS in highsec. You can anchor a POS everywhere, even in 1.0 systems. Rorqual became useless, since you can use a Compression Array even on a Highsec POS. Module and ship reprocessing has been nerfed to 50% efficiency max, but the ore compression is now more effective and useful. T2 BPO's are nerfed to be only slightly better than using invention (finally... after more than 5 years... should have been removed altogether, but the nerf bat did a pretty decent job already);
- Suicide ganking became FOTY and miners in highsec are apparently paying for "mining permits" (search: CODE. - with a dot);
- Hacking sites are refactored and contain a hacking mini-game;
- "Ghost sites" are introduced pretty much everywhere;
- Ships are no longer divided in "Tiers";
- Pretty much every ship in the game have been changed in the last year or two. Massive balancing done everywhere.
- Deployable mobile modules launched from ship's cargohold. Browse the market to see all of them. I'll mention Siphon Unit that can steal moon materials from a POS;
- NeX store is dead - it is replaced by New Eden Store with more reasonable prices. Monocle got an axe;
- Ship skins are introduced in their initial version (a blueprint obtainable through New Eden Store). CCP is working on the next iteration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUGtSzngCrU&t=3m37s

Thanks!, just to clarify 1 thing, "Suicide ganking became FOTY", whats FOTY mean?
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#5 - 2014-08-01 17:17:18 UTC
Flavour of the month year.
128th ABC123
Victorious Bastards
#6 - 2014-08-01 17:30:35 UTC
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:

Limited to mining barges & transports or even freighters?
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#7 - 2014-08-01 17:32:35 UTC
128th ABC123 wrote:

http://www.minerbumping.com/p/the-code.html
BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2014-08-01 18:20:13 UTC
What they mean is that ganking has become higher profile and more organized. The new order hits miners, orcas and freighters at any value. Miniluv and a few other groups aim for high value freighter ganks, and PASTA has been doing a number on the incursion community to the point of shutting down systems in some cases. (Props to those guys!). There's currently a threadnaught in general discussion if you want to read up on it.

Founder of Violet Squadron, a small gang NPSI community! Mail me for more information.

BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie's Space Mediation Service!

DeMichael Crimson
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2014-08-01 19:08:49 UTC
Hello and welcome back to Eve.

High security is probably the most dangerous sector of space now since Suicide Ganking is not limited to just Mining ships and Freighters. Basically any ship on Autopilot is a viable target, especially since most Suicide gankers are fairly organized now and usually operate in fleets.

The basic norm for high sec now is warp to 0/jump/dock when traveling, set standings and keep watch on local, always be aligned and ready to warp when someone lands on grid, set up and use undock spots in main Trade hubs and above all else, make sure you have a good defensive tank on your ship.

Blink

Anyway, hope you have a long and rewarding career this time around.

DMC
128th ABC123
Victorious Bastards
#10 - 2014-08-04 17:43:53 UTC
DeMichael Crimson wrote:

High security is probably the most dangerous sector of space now since Suicide Ganking is not limited to just Mining ships and Freighters. Basically any ship on Autopilot is a viable target, especially since most Suicide gankers are fairly organized now and usually operate in fleets.

The basic norm for high sec now is warp to 0/jump/dock when traveling, set standings and keep watch on local, always be aligned and ready to warp when someone lands on grid, set up and use undock spots in main Trade hubs and above all else, make sure you have a good defensive tank on your ship.

Blink

DMC

Wow... seriously? I mean i was a griefing pirate by the time i ended my eve career, but isn't this a bit overboard? I mean we do still need carebears doing business and sitting around on sometimes 3 hour freighter trips can't really be the point in eve right? And everyone pvp-ing wouldn't be good for the economy/ship prices...
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#11 - 2014-08-04 17:48:51 UTC
128th ABC123 wrote:
DeMichael Crimson wrote:

Blink

DMC

Wow... seriously? I mean i was a griefing pirate by the time i ended my eve career, but isn't this a bit overboard? I mean we do still need carebears doing business and sitting around on sometimes 3 hour freighter trips can't really be the point in eve right? And everyone pvp-ing wouldn't be good for the economy/ship prices...

No, not really.

Sure, some systems are camped to hell (check the map for recent kills) but most aren't.

Follow the common sense rules (don't autopilot through systems with lots of kills in them. don't carry more than a billion in a freighter, that kind of thing) and you'll generally be fine.

Granted, not autopiloting is generally good advice anywhere you are. I know I don't. It's not like it takes /that/ much attention to hit the jump button every so often. Especially with freighter warp speeds.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

128th ABC123
Victorious Bastards
#12 - 2014-08-05 06:15:42 UTC  |  Edited by: 128th ABC123
Steve Ronuken wrote:
128th ABC123 wrote:
DeMichael Crimson wrote:

Blink

DMC

No, not really.

Sure, some systems are camped to hell (check the map for recent kills) but most aren't.

Follow the common sense rules (don't autopilot through systems with lots of kills in them. don't carry more than a billion in a freighter, that kind of thing) and you'll generally be fine.

Granted, not autopiloting is generally good advice anywhere you are. I know I don't. It's not like it takes /that/ much attention to hit the jump button every so often. Especially with freighter warp speeds.

Okay got you, thanks!

Another thing i just noticed is the prices, i recollect an armageddon being around the 49 million isk mark in 2012, now im looking on the market and seeing them around 175 mil??? Is this because of the miners being ganked? Jeez just noticed, 200 mil for a dominix??? holy crap
Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#13 - 2014-08-05 06:45:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Sabriz Adoudel
128th ABC123 wrote:

Okay got you, thanks!

Another thing i just noticed is the prices, i recollect an armageddon being around the 49 million isk mark in 2012, now im looking on the market and seeing them around 175 mil??? Is this because of the miners being ganked? Jeez just noticed, 200 mil for a dominix??? holy crap

Part of the 'tiericide' initiative (which was the rebalancing of ships to remove the idea of 'you start in a tier 1 battleship then upgrade to a tier 2 one that is better, then a tier 3, then maybe a tech 2 or pirate one') was an overhaul of build costs.

This led to high increases in the mineral costs of those battleships that used to be cheaper. Except for the least popular ships, this increase in build costs has led to market price increases.

Basically, battleships that were cheaper to build than the Hyperion now cost as much to build as the Hyperion.

DeMichael Crimson wrote:

Blink

DMC

As a ganker myself, I can say it's pretty easy to avoid us. Highsec aggression rules make it an enormous effort to shoot people in highsec when they are on grid with sentry guns. Generally for us to put in that much effort, you will need to draw our eye - by flying around in a multi-billion ISK fit, or going out of your way to antagonise us, or jumping into a system where we have a bored fleet (which you can tell by looking at player ships lost in the last hour).

In short, you can be safe in highsec, but you have to earn your safety with dilligence and common sense.

However, if you want to get involved in ganking, it is one of the most newbie-friendly professions in EVE. If you want info on how to get started as a ganker, post a new thread and we will help you.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

DeMichael Crimson
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#14 - 2014-08-05 06:50:26 UTC
Steve Ronuken wrote:
128th ABC123 wrote:
DeMichael Crimson wrote:

Blink

DMC

No, not really.

When was the last time you autopiloted through high security hauling loot or undocked from a busy Trade Hub station? I'm sure it's been quite a while and FYI, high security is much more worse than you make it out to be. Especially when compared to how it was a few yrs ago.

To the OP, just exactly which part of my reply do you think is overboard / exaggeration? Everything I posted is a reflection of the current state of the game. This game has drastically changed within the past 2 years from when you last played. Just browse back a few months in the forums and you'll see for yourself.

Anyway, since you seem to know this game and the state it's in, just disregard my statements about high security. You'll do just fine in this game with a skeptical attitude.

DMC
DeMichael Crimson
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#15 - 2014-08-05 07:27:12 UTC  |  Edited by: DeMichael Crimson
Sabriz Adoudel wrote:
DeMichael Crimson wrote:

Blink

DMC

As a ganker myself, I can say it's pretty easy to avoid us. Highsec aggression rules make it an enormous effort to shoot people in highsec when they are on grid with sentry guns. Generally for us to put in that much effort, you will need to draw our eye - by flying around in a multi-billion ISK fit, or going out of your way to antagonise us, or jumping into a system where we have a bored fleet (which you can tell by looking at player ships lost in the last hour).

In short, you can be safe in highsec, but you have to earn your safety with dilligence and common sense.

However, if you want to get involved in ganking, it is one of the most newbie-friendly professions in EVE. If you want info on how to get started as a ganker, post a new thread and we will help you.

High Sec aggression rules make suicide ganking an enormous effort?? What a bunch of crock. Suicide Ganking is an easy cheap occupation that requires little effort to do. Concord response time / Sentry Guns / Crimewatch do not deter suicide ganking at all. If it did, then the topic of Suicide Ganking wouldn't be brought up.

As for my original post, there was nothing wrong with the info or the advice I posted, other than making it hard for suicide gankers to get an easy kill.

By the way, you don't have to be in a Multi-Billion ISK ship or even antagonize campers to get a suicide gank attempt. Bored campers will definitely try to suicide gank a ship that's on autopilot regardless of the ship type. A few months ago a couple of Ganker Cruisers failed to get my Loki while on autopilot. Of course their effort was rewarded with a visit from Concord which I witnessed just before jumping into the next system. By the time I turned around and went back, their wrecks were already looted.

Twisted

DMC
Archibald Thistlewaite III
The Royal Society for the Prevention of Miners
#16 - 2014-08-05 08:36:20 UTC
128th ABC123 wrote:

DeMichael Crimson wrote:

To the OP, just exactly which part of my reply do you think is overboard / exaggeration? Everything I posted is a reflection of the current state of the game. This game has drastically changed within the past 2 years from when you last played. Just browse back a few months in the forums and you'll see for yourself.

Anyway, since you seem to know this game and the state it's in, just disregard my statements about high security. You'll do just fine in this game with a skeptical attitude.

DMC

I think you have completely misunderstood. He wasn't claiming you were exaggerating. The op was commentating that hisec as you describe is a lot more dangerous than he remembers and he feels that may not be good for eve.

In reality hisec is safer than ever, mainly due to the buff to mining barges and the buff to freighters

Overall there have been lots of changes and a read of the dev blogs may be a good idea.

User of 'Bumblefck's Luscious & Luminous Mustachio Wax'

Areen Sassel
Dirac Angestun Gesept
#17 - 2014-08-05 11:33:30 UTC
128th ABC123 wrote:

I suspect the population of miners is large enough that, for all it generates a lot of drama, the actual effect on mining volume is relatively modest. Furthermore, it's a self-correcting problem; if miner numbers actually drop off, the rewards for the remainder will rise while the incentive to gank drops (fewer targets to find). Also, there's industry outside highsec (and the most recent release was intended to improve the viability of same).

(Nothing in this is intended to be any sort of comment, either way, on the ethics of miner ganking. I'm not trying to do "CODE politics".)
J'Poll
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#18 - 2014-08-05 11:43:50 UTC
Areen Sassel wrote:
128th ABC123 wrote:

I suspect the population of miners is large enough that, for all it generates a lot of drama, the actual effect on mining volume is relatively modest. Furthermore, it's a self-correcting problem; if miner numbers actually drop off, the rewards for the remainder will rise while the incentive to gank drops (fewer targets to find). Also, there's industry outside highsec (and the most recent release was intended to improve the viability of same).

(Nothing in this is intended to be any sort of comment, either way, on the ethics of miner ganking. I'm not trying to do "CODE politics".)

This.

Even if just 5% of the mining community is hit by suicide gankers, if that 5% also comes to EVE Forums, GD, what ever news site there is and whines and complains about it, it looks way worse then it actually is.

The other 95% is happily mining away and minding their own business.
Hell, even the ones that are ganked and don't make a fuzz about it, are forgotten within a day.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Captain Soju
Failed Diplomacy
#19 - 2014-08-05 12:26:53 UTC
128th ABC123 wrote:

The person who leads this blog needs to be looked at by a professional.

ASAP
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#20 - 2014-08-05 13:04:24 UTC
Captain Soju wrote:
128th ABC123 wrote:

The person who leads this blog needs to be looked at by a professional.

ASAP
Why?

It's quasi religious, semi messianic RP, nothing more. Most of the content is actually provided by people flying off the handle when their internet spaceships explode, in a game where the economy revolves around internet spaceships exploding.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

12Next page