These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

automated way to mine a moon/roid belt

Author
bryce davis69
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2014-08-03 07:54:20 UTC
im just wondering without a POS if it is possable to mine a roid belt/moon?
Scipio Artelius
The Vendunari
End of Life
#2 - 2014-08-03 07:56:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
I'm no miner, but as far as I know, if you want to mine a moon you need a POS.

If you don't have that, then steal from someone else with a siphon unit.

For an asteroid belt, no POS necessary. I can understand why you would want to automatically mine a belt, but no, you can't automatically mine a belt.
bryce davis69
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2014-08-03 07:58:41 UTC
siphon unit?? ShockedBlink
Scipio Artelius
The Vendunari
End of Life
#4 - 2014-08-03 08:01:17 UTC
DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#5 - 2014-08-03 08:31:20 UTC
moons can only be mined with a pos. You can use a siphon unit to steal moon goo from a pos. But in order to mine it you need a pos.

Roids are mined with a ship and either a miner 1, II, strip miner 1 or 2, or a faction variation.

OMG Comet Mining idea!!! Comet Mining!

Eve For life.

Shederov Blood
Deadly Viper Kitten Mitten Sewing Company
#6 - 2014-08-03 12:33:51 UTC
Attention What if we had Mobile Mining Units?

... oh come on, don't try to tell me you wouldn't use them.

Who put the goat in there?

Jur Tissant
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2014-08-03 14:48:13 UTC
Mining doesn't need to be more automated, it just needs to be more profitable.
Eugene Kerner
TunDraGon
The Initiative.
#8 - 2014-08-03 16:12:24 UTC
Jur Tissant wrote:

No

TunDraGon is recruiting! "Also, your boobs [:o] "   CCP Eterne, 2012 "When in doubt...make a diȼk joke." Robin Williams - RIP

Jake Warbird
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2014-08-03 17:57:49 UTC
Eugene Kerner wrote:
Jur Tissant wrote:

No

Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#10 - 2014-08-03 18:02:04 UTC
mining might as well be made automated at this point
Riyal
invidious Squid
#11 - 2014-08-03 20:29:31 UTC
Jur Tissant wrote:

Mining payouts are completely player dictated, the low income is a reflection of the low level of attention required.

In hindsight my post should have had more psssshhhh

Sable Moran
Moran Light Industries
#12 - 2014-08-04 11:52:22 UTC
Eugene Kerner wrote:
Jur Tissant wrote:

No

Well, if mining were made more involved (as in miner actually needing to do something other than wait) I wouldn't mind it being slightly more profitable.

Sable's Ammo Shop at Alentene V - Moon 4 - Duvolle Labs Factory. Hybrid charges, Projectile ammo, Missiles, Drones, Ships, Need'em? We have'em, at affordable prices. Pop in at our Ammo Shop in sunny Alentene.

Gallowmere Rorschach
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2014-08-04 13:56:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Gallowmere Rorschach
Jur Tissant wrote:

How exactly, would you propose such a thing be done? The income from mining is determined by three factors: one is character skills (and to a lesser extent player skills; knowing how to properly cycle strips, position without downtime, etc.), two is logistics, and the last is supply and demand for minerals.

So, which of these three would you like to screw with? Keep in mind that doing anything to the first two is going to have a major impact on three. Three, you're not allowed to directly screw with. You start suggesting high end NPC buy orders for minerals in trade hubs or some such goofiness, and you'll be quickly slapped down by anyone that isn't a derp.

Also keep in mind, that since minerals are the basis of nearly everything in Eve, when the prices of those increase, the prices of nearly everything increase. As such, to demand a higher profit from mining would come out to be pointless anyway, as you'd end up paying more for everything as well. Inflation is a thing. A higher number in your wallet means nothing if you still end up at zero after buying what you need to perform the same function.
Schmata Bastanold
In Boobiez We Trust
#14 - 2014-08-04 16:11:23 UTC
Mining should be more about what you do when you wait for you lazors to finish cycle. Some kind of probing, scanning, whatever - something where player skills matter more than amount of valium you can take and still remember why are you sitting next to that space rock. I never tried PI but judging by videos I watched it is about finding best balance between yield and placement of those gathering thingies and route to command center or whatever it is called.

Right now it really is very relaxing, very mellowing thing unless "you make your own content" and throw few hulks and orca and hauler in your fleet of alts. And then you have basically so much clickfest that it just gets ridiculous. I hope CCP has something in store for those who dabble in gathering resources, industry doesn't start at POS and blueprints.

But of course no point of saying things like that because nobody listens, nobody reads it, nobody cares.

Invalid signature format

Bianca Silver
Division 13
#15 - 2014-08-04 20:03:22 UTC
Benny Ohu wrote:

I just threw up a little in my mouth.

Thanks. Straight
Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#16 - 2014-08-04 20:11:30 UTC
Shederov Blood wrote:
Attention What if we had Mobile Mining Units?

... oh come on, don't try to tell me you wouldn't use them.

That would be a game changer.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#17 - 2014-08-04 20:16:06 UTC
Bianca Silver wrote:
Benny Ohu wrote:

Thanks. Straight

Were it up to me, I would have made the game with all NPC mining ops that players would purchase ships and crews for. There would not have been a "mining player" in such regards that you skill for mining ships and the related modules.

However, all mining vessels would be "white cross" NPCs such like the NPC convoys that you see leaving stations. Back in the day, you could pop those for trade stuff, but it's been years since seeing anybody actually attack one. Anyway, under the old mechanics it would have been "you are aggressed to whoever owned the mining assets you attacked" but that would have migrated to being generally a suspect flag.

I'm not in charge of anything so whatever. It would have been good to have everybody using NPC mining ops and trained/fitted for PVP to defend it, as it would have promoted PVP THROUGH mining instead of this sheep/wolf system we have now.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#18 - 2014-08-04 20:16:07 UTC
Jur Tissant wrote:
It would be way more profitable if CCP would get off their ass and make null a war zone again. Back in the days when there was some actual ship destruction in this game, you could make a decent living as a miner.

Mr Epeen Cool
Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#19 - 2014-08-04 20:27:54 UTC
Bianca Silver wrote:
Benny Ohu wrote:

Thanks. Straight

it's such a terrible game mechanic. where it's so boring and uninteractive, the 'best way to play' is to go afk, not playing at all. if we're not going to redo mining to actually reward teamwork, critical thinking and interaction (we should), why pretend it's anything but a system that rewards playing like a robot over playing like a human?