These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Is CCP Seagull going to do another AMA on Reddit?

First post
Author
Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#21 - 2014-07-31 22:18:55 UTC
Rhes wrote:
Morihei Akachi wrote:
Rhes wrote:
She shouldn't be using a website that provides support to child abusers. If she does another Q&A it should be hosted somewhere other than reddit.

Reddit does not provide support to child abusers.

Do you realize the monumental amount of bad press that had to be generated before they even when that far? And there are still dozens of gross subreddits where that crap still goes on.

Not to mention that reddit has also become a hub for MRAs and bigots.

Also lets not leave out the previous statements made where they openly refused to take any action at all because it violated free speech.

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

PotatoOverdose
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#22 - 2014-07-31 22:40:38 UTC
Rhes wrote:
Morihei Akachi wrote:
Rhes wrote:
She shouldn't be using a website that provides support to child abusers. If she does another Q&A it should be hosted somewhere other than reddit.

Do you realize the monumental amount of bad press that had to be generated before they even when that far? And there are still dozens of gross subreddits where that crap still goes on.

Saying reddit is bad because a minority of a minority of people come together to discuss nasty things is like saying the internet in general is bad for having those same nasty things. Reddit is a place where communities, large and small, can form. Some of these communities are bad, sure. But the vast majority aren't. You could just as easily say vBulletin or the internet as a whole shouldn't be supported because of the nastiness that goes on in the darker corners.
Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#23 - 2014-08-01 00:24:45 UTC
PotatoOverdose wrote:
Rhes wrote:
Morihei Akachi wrote:
Rhes wrote:

Saying reddit is bad because a minority of a minority of people come together to discuss nasty things is like saying the internet in general is bad for having those same nasty things. Reddit is a place where communities, large and small, can form. Some of these communities are bad, sure. But the vast majority aren't. You could just as easily say vBulletin or the internet as a whole shouldn't be supported because of the nastiness that goes on in the darker corners.

We're not saying reddit is bad because a bunch of people did what they did, we're saying reddit is bad for openly refusing to do anything about it & actively protecting the moderator partly responsible for it until the media storm became too much for them to handle. SA has had it's bad people doing bad things aswell. The difference between SA & reddit is SA gets rid of those people & reports any illegal activity to the appropriate authorities, instead of protecting them.

Also it's not a minority when the subreddits in question happened to be the most heavily trafficked subreddits on the site until they were finally removed.

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

PotatoOverdose
Caldari State
#24 - 2014-08-01 00:56:23 UTC
Mallak Azaria wrote:
The difference between SA & reddit is SA gets rid of those people & reports any illegal activity to the appropriate authorities, instead of protecting them.
Another difference is that Reddit has 8 million users and SA does not. Moderating 8 million users and several thousand are two completely different things. For the handful of admins, it's probably less about protecting any particular individuals rather than "dear god, you expect us to keep track of all of that?"

I'm perfectly aware that freedom of speech is the given reason, but honestly if they start policing one subreddit one could logically draw the conclusion that they would be expected to police all of the subreddits. And that's just not feasible.

You can say they take (or took) their laissez-faire policy too far, but calling reddit a den of pedophiles or whatever else the SA crowd likes to call it is disingenuous at best.

Mallak Azaria wrote:
Also it's not a minority when the subreddits in question happened to be the most heavily trafficked subreddits on the site until they were finally removed.
I would be very surprised if the inappropriate subs in question ever accounted for even 1% of total Reddit traffic. If that really is the case, I'd like to see a source for that. Even if that was the case, it certainly isn't the case today.
Brit Green
Hagkaup
#25 - 2014-08-01 00:57:07 UTC
Mallak Azaria wrote:

All censoring free speech does is inconvenience the sick fucks that like that stuff. They'll set up somewhere else.

The problem is not free speech. It's a society that sexualizes children. Open a Vogue and see if I'm wrong about the twisted perverts that promote this stuff. Of course, corporate profit takes precedence over morality. I didn't realize how many GW Bush worshipers post in here.
Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#26 - 2014-08-01 01:46:47 UTC
PotatoOverdose wrote:
I would be very surprised if the inappropriate subs in question ever accounted for even 1% of total Reddit traffic. If that really is the case, I'd like to see a source for that. Even if that was the case, it certainly isn't the case today.

The official traffic stats can't be access anymore since those stats were conveniently blocked when the pages were banned, but here is another thing to read. Here's my favourite bit:

Quote:
Communities devoted to explicit material saw rising popularity, with the /r/jailbait subreddit (featuring provocative shots of teenagers) being chosen "subreddit of the year" in the "Best of reddit" user poll in 2008 and at one point making "jailbait" the second most common search term for the site.[3] Erik Martin, general manager of Reddit, defended the jailbait subreddit by saying that such controversial pages were a consequence of allowing free speech on the site.

PotatoOverdose
Caldari State
#27 - 2014-08-01 02:03:36 UTC
Mallak Azaria wrote:

The official traffic stats can't be access anymore since those stats were conveniently blocked when the pages were banned, but here is another thing to read. Here's my favourite bit:

Quote:
Communities devoted to explicit material saw rising popularity, with the /r/jailbait subreddit (featuring provocative shots of teenagers) being chosen "subreddit of the year" in the "Best of reddit" user poll in 2008 and at one point making "jailbait" the second most common search term for the site.[3] Erik Martin, general manager of Reddit, defended the jailbait subreddit by saying that such controversial pages were a consequence of allowing free speech on the site.

So a controversial sub got a lot of attention. That's human nature though, people talk about it, other people hear about it, and they want to see what everyone is talking about. From the same page:

Quote:
The jailbait subreddit came to wider attention outside Reddit when Anderson Cooper of CNN devoted a segment of his program to condemning the subreddit and criticizing Reddit for hosting it.[5] Initially this caused a spike in Internet traffic to the subreddit, causing the page to peak at 1.73 million views on the day of the report.[6]

Then there's this bit:
Quote:
Following the closure of /r/jailbait, The Daily Dot declared violentacrez, the community's creator, "The Most Important Person on Reddit in 2011," and called the /r/jailbait controversy "the first major challenge to the site's voluntary doctrine of absolute free speech."[9]

You may disagree with their idealogy, but not everyone shares your viewpoint.

But here's the thing: none of this is relevant to eve. What is relevant is r/eve, here and now in 2014. r/eve is one of the largest eve related community sites, and leveling accusations against it due to events that happened on a completely different sub years ago just seems like a petty way for SA dudes to feed their grudges. All of that nastiness you cited? r/eve and most of modern reddit had nothing to do with it.
Jack Tronic
borkedLabs
#28 - 2014-08-01 02:11:49 UTC
Rhes wrote:
Morihei Akachi wrote:
Rhes wrote:

Yes, let's start censoring people we disagree with. I disagree with you and I think you are a bigot agaisn't redditors, can we ban you?
Josef Djugashvilis
#29 - 2014-08-01 07:12:26 UTC
Rhes wrote:
Morihei Akachi wrote:
Rhes wrote:

MRAs?

This is not a signature.

Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#30 - 2014-08-01 10:54:31 UTC
Josef Djugashvilis wrote:
MRAs?

Mens Right's Activists. It's basically a group of men angry to the extreme that women won't have sex with them.

PotatoOverdose
Caldari State
#31 - 2014-08-01 11:44:52 UTC  |  Edited by: PotatoOverdose
Mallak Azaria wrote:
MRAs?

Mens Right's Activists. It's basically a group of men angry to the extreme that women won't have sex with them.

Mostly this, but every so often they have a legit grievance that makes it to the front page e.g. a well employed father loosing custody of his kids to an unemployed alcoholic/abusive mother. At least that's the type of **** that occasionally makes it to the front page. Society can be **** to anyone, regardless of gender.

Generalizations like yours are often true, but lumping every single case under that one umbrella is as much a disservice to gender equality as any other. Although it can simplify your world view, just lumping some group into the "other" category to be the subject of disdain. Whatever works I guess.

Edit: Tbh, the two most toxic subreddits I've ever seen are the red pill and SRS, and we have Something Awful to thank for the latter. Make of that what you will.
Josef Djugashvilis
#32 - 2014-08-01 12:25:02 UTC
Mallak Azaria wrote:
MRAs?

Do they all play Eve Online?

This is not a signature.

Hicksimus
Torgue
#33 - 2014-08-01 12:27:58 UTC

MRAs?

Me Really ANGRY!

Recruitment Officer: What type of a pilot are you? Me: I've been described as a Ray Charles with Parkinsons and a drinking problem.

Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#34 - 2014-08-01 12:32:17 UTC
Here you go.

Josef Djugashvilis
#35 - 2014-08-01 12:52:33 UTC
Mallak Azaria wrote:

Thanks for the link.

I did not know whether to laugh or cry.

This is not a signature.

ISD Dorrim Barstorlode
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#36 - 2014-08-01 17:35:14 UTC
Removed an off topic post.

Also, please keep it on topic and civil. Thanks.

ISD Dorrim Barstorlode

Senior Lead

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

Marlona Sky
State War Academy
Caldari State
#37 - 2014-08-02 01:07:32 UTC
Some serious butt hurt ITT because someone did an AMA on Reddit instead of SA.
Noriko Mai
#38 - 2014-08-02 01:36:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Noriko Mai
At Fanfest 2013 I thought: "It's a lot of bullshit bingo, but she's new, all right..."
At Fanfest 2014 I thought: "Same bullshit bingo again?! I habve a dream... my ass.... please don't qute Martin Luther King for your marketing ****."
Same **** followd with her "AMA" and dev blogs.

The only thing that comes from CCP Seagul is marketing bullshit bingo. I don't understand why such a person is executive producer and not marketing chief boss shittalker lord.

Sorry for the harsh words, but it's not very credible. Especially not after CCP Soundwave.

EDIT: Just to clarify. Soundwave was awesome and was maybe THE one who saved EVE after Incarna. As always, let's see what CCP will do and not what they say they will do.

"Meh.." - Albert Einstein

Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#39 - 2014-08-02 04:22:48 UTC
Marlona Sky wrote:
Some serious butt hurt ITT because someone did an AMA on Reddit instead of SA.

I don't want something like that on SA either. I like my elitist pay to access trash-free forum thank you very much.

Previous page12