These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Meta modules, missions, ratting and industry.

Author
Sara Tosa
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#1 - 2014-07-30 16:52:34 UTC
Its something that was already ventilated years ago but now, after all the ratting/missioning loot nerfs and boosts to industry I think its time to examine the idea again:
remove all module drop from loot tables.
substitute them with "damaged" modules that are worthless by themselves (cant be used or ricycled for minerals) but can be reverse engineered to meta 1-4 items bpc
this way miners are happy as missioners wont compete with them anymore.
industrialists are happy as they are there are no more npc loot modules, the only way to have a working module is to build it.
ratters/missioners still get relevant loot as there's no npc seed for meta items bpc, ratting/missioning is the only source.
gankers are happy because ratters/missioners are still out there and as easy target as ever.
it permit finer tuning of rewards as some missions could reward 3run bpc, other more valuable 10 runs etc.
it could even work for drone loot if meta 1-4 drones get introudcted.
Daichi Yamato
Jabbersnarks and Wonderglass
#2 - 2014-07-30 17:29:34 UTC
i hope part of metacide will be manufacturable meta weapons.

EVE FAQ "7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided"

Daichi Yamato's version of structure based decs

Sara Tosa
Caldari State
#3 - 2014-07-30 17:35:58 UTC
Daichi Yamato wrote:

but if missioners would continue to drop an infinite numbers of them they would be nearly worthless to build.
this way missioners become a needed link in the industrial chain instead of "those guys leveling their raven".
Fer'isam K'ahn
SAS Veterinarians
#4 - 2014-07-30 17:43:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Fer'isam K'ahn
Sara Tosa wrote:
Daichi Yamato wrote:

but if missioners would continue to drop an infinite numbers of them they would be nearly worthless to build.
this way missioners become a needed link in the industrial chain instead of "those guys leveling their raven".

Who says that the metas are going to be worthless ? The usability and market will decide that.
And every missioner/ratter dropping the metas on the amrket is also a myth, I reprocess almost everything anyway, cause I can't be bothered with the trouble. Around 90-95%of the loot is reprocess rubbish anyway (atm). That might change, so you can't say yet if its gonna be worthless or not. Maybe the loot can't keep up with popular ones .. who knows.

That's just against your basis for arguing. I am actually nor sure if I like the suggestion or not. Though I find less loot quite intriguing, I find selling BPC more troublesome then reprocessing all my loot for once. I am for instance stuck with all BPC T1 and T2 that I have found so far ... they collect dust in a corp hangar somewhere. Setting up and waiting for contracts is just annoying. Maybe I just trash them. - So much for BPC loot.
Sara Tosa
Caldari State
#5 - 2014-07-30 17:52:39 UTC
Fer'isam K'ahn wrote:

Who says that the metas are going to be worthless ? The usability and market will decide that.

worthless to build as the market is swamped from missioner loot so their value lower.
the same reason ccp removed meta0 from lot tables.
the big nerf to module reprocessing is a clear step to make them less appealing to missioners so hurt less when the next step comes and they get removed from missions to make space for industry.
my proposal is about how to substitute them so missioners are usefull for the game instead of just an isk well (or sink when the ship dies).
Quote:

That's just against your basis for arguing. I am actually nor sure if I like the suggestion or not. Though I find less loot quite intriguing, I find selling BPC more troublesome then reprocessing all my loot for once. I am for instance stuck with all BPC T1 and T2 that I have found so far ... they collect dust in a corp hangar somewhere. Setting up and waiting for contracts is just annoying. Maybe I just trash them. - So much for BPC loot.

heh, the fact that you are lazy is not exactly related to my idea :)
Daichi Yamato
#6 - 2014-07-30 17:53:51 UTC
i honestly don't know what they'd do to the prices.

meta-cide should improve values of meta items across the board (except maybe fittings saver items), and many meta items could be sold on the market for more than their mineral amounts pre reprocess nerf anyways.

i do like the idea of looting damaged weapons though and the idea of using their parts to repair/modify other weapons, which is essentially what meta items are.

*flash backs of fallout* :)

EVE FAQ "7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided"

Riot Girl
You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack
#7 - 2014-07-30 17:57:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Riot Girl
Sara Tosa wrote:

It's a step in the wrong direction, in my opinion. I feel efforts should be made to eliminate missions from the game, rather than trying to establish them as an essential aspect of it.
Sara Tosa
Caldari State
#8 - 2014-07-30 18:02:40 UTC
Riot Girl wrote:
Sara Tosa wrote:

It's a step in the wrong direction, in my opinion. I feel efforts should be made to eliminate missions from the game, rather than trying to establish them as an essential aspect of it.

eliminating missions you would also eliminate most players that like to play missions.
you really think you can force people to like what you like by removing what they are liking?
Daichi Yamato
#9 - 2014-07-30 18:02:51 UTC
Riot Girl wrote:
Sara Tosa wrote:

do you mean that as in 'remove all combat based PvE?'

or do you mean 'all combat based PvE should be exploration'...cause i'd be very ok with that after some hi-sec explo buffage.

Fer'isam K'ahn
SAS Veterinarians
#10 - 2014-07-30 18:10:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Fer'isam K'ahn
Riot Girl wrote:

Aeh - No.
If you remove mission, remove incursion, remove ratting, remove plexing, remove any other pve content, good job for forced gameplay. That's a reason for me to unsub, right now. Thread successful derailed Shocked

@ OP, yes, I am being lazy, cause I see no sense in trying to get 10-15% more profit from 5% of my income for about 20% waste of total time. All this 'can I haz sell-all button' for 20.000 items worth 2.4 million total. Reprocess (or even trash) is the only right solution.
This might change with the new overhaul, but I doubt it (unless; see below), cause its not only due to reprocess waste but also due to high m3 low value realtions and hauling the stuff to the right places. Meta 1-3 Mission loot is low and can stay that way - and in the future ... we'll see.
I would rahter promote changes like and to the exploration towers. Got loot that is worth something or it's empty (and despawns unhacked). And only little loot items, but more valuable, which we might get with the changes (less drops, but each meta worth something), but BPC, please no.
Riot Girl
You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack
#11 - 2014-07-30 18:16:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Riot Girl
Daichi Yamato wrote:
do you mean that as in 'remove all combat based PvE?'

or do you mean 'all combat based PvE should be exploration'...cause i'd be very ok with that after some hi-sec explo buffage.

I mean gradually removing the incentives to run missions while promoting more competitive activities. Although removing all combat based PvE is also a good idea. Death to NPCs.
Ocih
Space Mermaids
#12 - 2014-07-30 18:16:45 UTC
It isn't just Meta modules, it's NPC loot in general that needs a pass.

- Metal Scraps had a base of 500 trit and seemed to be the way CCP wanted us to ship large volumes of Trit if we were inclined to. That has been weakened with the new system. 275 is the new base cap with Scrap metal processing to 5. Considering the weight they still pack a punch in trit transport that makes everything else look small. You could put enough trit in a Bestower to build a titan if you could get that many metal scraps together.

- Meta Modules increase research chance and much like perfect refine was, you don't need meta 4 to get to 100% on any T2 Module with a meta version. Even with .55 prices though, most meta modules added to a T2 BPC eliminates the minimal margin created in T2 by T2 BPO's. There is nothing CCP can do here.
Often the Meta 4 is 25% of what the T2 is in price and while the difference is 1.1 or 1.098 on many of them, people still use T2 for the minimal bonus it gives.

Then there are dog tags that never had a real use.
-One time empire faction runs for line tags, no use at all for most commander tags and complicated shopping list uses for select Officer tags in the LP store but they invented new versions of tags every time they introduced content around tags. For some reason, CCP don't want to deal with the Dog Tags in the game. They feel anything the introduce needs to be super rare and over priced out of the gate, then drop in price over time. If they use the current Dog tag loot they will get the opposite effect, just like they did with Guristas Brass tag. They once sold for 5K ISK, now they sell for 12 million ISK. I don't know if they are scared of wealth shifting or if they don't think anything they create from them will ever get used up but they have kicked it down the road for 10 years and I don't see them ever dealing with it.

It's too bad. Loot discovery was one of the things that grabbed me in EVE and it has been burned off over the years and is no longer an adventure. It's one of the things I truly miss in EVE.

nikar galvren
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#13 - 2014-07-30 18:29:41 UTC
On the topic of looting damaged modules from NPC drops, why not have the option to pay a trivial cost (on the order of 1% of the estimated value) to try to repair the module, or plug it in to reverse engineer for the bpc, or reprocess for minerals?

Give repair jobs a chance to fail. Not every piece if scrap that gets salvaged can be restored, after all. Repairing modules then becomes an isk sink on the much-lamented missioning isk fountain.

Give reverse engineering jobs a chance to fail as well. Chalk it up to the "WTF was this smouldering hunk of junk originally?" factor. Trivial cost to install the reverse engineering job provides an isk sink. Resulting meta-level BPC's will generate additional interest in our shiny new industry system.

Can't be bothered with to repair or reverse engineer? Simply sell or reprocess for 45% material loss as currently stands.

As an additional bonus, loot loss from failed repairs or unsuccessful RE attempts would slow the price free-fall on some of the meta modules as they become slightly more rare again.

One additional thought I had while writing this - Since the reprocessing nerf, is there a reason why T1 modules shouldn't get replaced in the loot tables?
Bristol Snogg
Velocity Industries Ltd
#14 - 2014-09-29 18:48:55 UTC
Thought I would add my 5 cents worth...

When I am bored I occasionally duck out to a asteroid belt or scan down signatures or warp to an anomaly and kill rats. I am OK with NPC ships kills dropping modules I am however amazed at the loot that is dropped.

I am not saying it needs to be buffed, but changed to reflect the rolls of the ships that you kill. I don’t know how many times I kill a rat and a Excel Mining Laser drops.

So lets take a look at what loot is dropped and make it relevant for the ship that is destroyed and its role within the NPC fleet.

NPC Miners

Lastly you never see any NPC rats mining. So lets create a NPC mining ship that mines ore like every other ship. There could be a NPC venture mining low sec belts or cosmic anomalies and a mining barge in 0.0 space. Therefore protecting these mining fleets or single ships appropriate protection from NPC ships would also be present.