These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Freighter etc only modules

Author
Caleb Seremshur
Commando Guri
Guristas Pirates
#1 - 2014-07-29 15:37:09 UTC
So I was talking in a chat channel just a few minutes ago about wormholes

salient point was "freighters cant get in to c2, probably not c3 either"

and it got me thinking about the recent rebalancing freighters got. What about industrial only modules similar to rorqual but more generalised i.e.

your general t1 cargo expander gives x amount of cargo space for a sacrifice in velocity right.
What about a super cargo expander with ship class restrictions and gives say x1.5 cargo expander bonus and x1.5 velocity penalty. Basic premise is push the bonus and the penalty further. These are freighters, they're already defenceless, let them make a choice about doing their job better.

Things like nanofibers used to in days of yore reduce mass, so perhaps make a new capital ship module that reduces mass of a vessel at the expense of (capacitor?). This could allow an attacking force to get in more capitals before a WH closes of either the offensive or in the case of C3 to definitely allow an appropriately fit freighter in for the corp that would rather do their transport in this manner rather than an orca.

side benefits might include things like jump bridges using less fuel or whatever to transport freighters, lower mass also makes them easier to bump (since their agility isnt being affected)

this is literally 2 minutes of thought here while powered by the dark magic of 14 beers, tear it apart.
De'Veldrin
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#2 - 2014-07-29 16:27:22 UTC  |  Edited by: De'Veldrin
I will start of with "I told you so."

As in, I told everyone that would listen that the second CCP added modules to freighters, someone would come along wanting more. Frankly, it took a little longer than I expected.

Ahem...please read the following out loud, at the top of your lungs, whilst holding onto a rabid wombat.

DIDN'T YOU IDIOTS LEARN NOT TO ASK FOR CHANGES TO FREIGHTERS FROM THE FIRST SET THAT CCP DECIDED TO "REWARD" YOUR PERSISTENCE WITH?

Seriously, how many times do you need to be kicked in the balls before you learn when to quit while you're ahead?

De'Veldrin's Corollary (to Malcanis' Law): Any idea that seeks to limit the ability of a large nullsec bloc to do something in the name of allowing more small groups into sov null will inevitably make it that much harder for small groups to enter sov null.

Gizznitt Malikite
Agony Unleashed
Agony Empire
#3 - 2014-07-29 16:59:37 UTC

A cap penalty doesn't not properly balance a "reduced mass" module. This module would make jumping freighters (via titan,or with JF's) cheaper. It might allow entrance into WH's that purposely restrict freighters at the moment too.

An extreme agility penalty and warp speed penalty would be more appropriate.

Ammzi
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#4 - 2014-07-29 17:36:52 UTC
Expanded cargo holds give a penalty to hull structure, we managed to lobby this successfully (thank god, everything else would be ludicrous).

And "No".
Caleb Seremshur
Commando Guri
Guristas Pirates
#5 - 2014-07-29 20:49:18 UTC
Well I tried v0v.

Some ideas should just never see the light of day.
Tabyll Altol
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#6 - 2014-07-30 05:40:55 UTC
Make the super cargo expander an Officermodule, give him a 50% hull penality, so i gank this loot bag faster.

Have you imagined when freighters can´t get in a c2, then they don´t belong to this why would you need a freighter in a c2 ???
How do i cange the weight of a ship only with decreasing the Cap, sounds unlikely and not realistic. And the WH don´t have the mass limit for fun.

You guy just got a very good buff for tank/speed/cargo for freighters. Don´t expect the whole universe is only about freighters.