These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Solo pvp Condor

Author
Terry Qon
Perkone
Caldari State
#1 - 2014-07-29 07:57:05 UTC
So doing missions in high sec is getting boring real fast.

Thinking of going back into low sec, and trying to find a pirate corp, or a FW corp. This is what I used to do before I unsubbed and it was actually pretty enjoyable, besides the fact I couldn't 1v1 anyone for the life of me.

I really want to fly condors, I used to fly merlins but they were boring, I want to use rockets.

Was wondering if anyone had a decent solo pvp condor fit they can share with me. I'm still too noob to figure out fits myself and battleclinic just seems really outdated.

Also any general tips when 1v1'ing? Like when to orbit/approach/keep at distance against what ships and stuff.

Anything would help, thanks!
Bastion Arzi
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#2 - 2014-07-29 08:34:29 UTC
im not sure of a good condor fit, ive never flown a condor. but i can try and give a tip for combat.

you can use the 'look at' function to look at the enemy ship before you engage. you can use this to try and recognise if thier ship is fit for long range or close range and plan accordingly.

For example your in your condor and happen across an incursus who u want to fight. do you charge in and orbit close or do you keep at range?

The blaster incursus can have over 200dps with implants at very short range with excellent tracking . So its very dangerous if it gets on top of you but if u can keep your distance it will barely hurt u.

The rail incursus on the other hand will have lower dps but will hit you easily at longer range.. Rails have worse tracking than blasters so your best bet against a rail ship is t o orbit them close.

By looking at the ship and knowing what rails look like and what blasters look like you can decide on what range you want to engage your opponent at.

Range control is extremely imprtant in pvp as you may already realise.

Azda Ja
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2014-07-29 08:54:01 UTC
Terry Qon wrote:

Also any general tips when 1v1'ing? Like when to orbit/approach/keep at distance against what ships and stuff.

Now, I am by no means a professional, but in the few weeks I've spent getting killed in lowsec, and a ton of articles/blogs I've read, when it comes 1v1: don't if you can.

If you can have someone by your side it makes things far better. However, some general guidelines to follow are the following:

When to orbit approach etc, that all depends on who you're facing and how you and they are fit. Eve's PvP is a very elaborate and complicated version of rock paper scissors, one fit will not work well against them all. Now, since you can't tell what your opponent is fitting on their ship, the next best thing is to know what fits a ship typically uses. I've found out through losing quite a few frigates to Navy Slicers that they are almost always set up for long range kiting, their bonuses are built for that so it's kind of obvious too. Basically you have to keep fighting and losing, and figure out WHY and HOW you lost. Which brings me to the most important thing:

Ask your killer what you did wrong! Almost every single person that has killed me has received a convo request from me asking what I did wrong, or asking about the fit they were using. Having the person walk you through the way their fit is used teaches you to: a/ fit ships better for yourself, and b/ what other people are likely to be using, which allows you to pick your fights better.

All of this is theoretical though, if you're like me and spend an hour looking for a "smart fight" and get bored, you'll attack the first thing you see hoping for the best Big smile.

Here is one of those guides I mentioned, read as much of it as you can, it's taught me a lot in the last few weeks.

Good luck out there, fly dangerously o7.

Grrr.

Terry Qon
Perkone
Caldari State
#4 - 2014-07-29 11:33:22 UTC
Thanks guys, looks like I have to learn what each type of weapon looks like.

What about lasers/missiles/rockets

Is there a site where it tells me which ships generally fit what type of weapons?

Also what about versing a frigate that just uses drones? Do I kill the drones?
Tyrendian Biohazard
The Bastards
Sedition.
#5 - 2014-07-29 13:04:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Tyrendian Biohazard
Azda Ja wrote:
Terry Qon wrote:

Now, I am by no means a professional, but in the few weeks I've spent getting killed in lowsec, and a ton of articles/blogs I've read, when it comes 1v1: don't if you can.

I wouldn't necessarily say that, unless you're more worried about just winning a fight or accomplishing some objective you have in mind. Solo roaming (for the sake of fights) can provide some really good 2v1s or 1v1 fights against larger ships (if your solo roaming in a frig, or maybe cruiser).

To OP: I've seen quite a variety of PvP Condor fits. Most people tend to use its speed and kite. I've seen some with MSE for extra buffer tank, or some that disregard tank entirely and rely just on speed to survive, using LML, disrupt, and some sort of tracking disruption or sensor damp to avoid tanking damage. Ultimately it depends on your play style for how you'll fit it.

Edit: You asked about orbit, approach, range, etc against various ships. This really depends on what you are up against. Honestly a book the size of a desk could be written to explain all the mechanics when it comes to PvP, and it still wouldn't cover everything. My suggestion would be to get a friend, and fit up various ships of sizes, weapon systems, etc, and do duels to get an accurate representation of how it all works. For example, a Caracal with Rapid Light Missile Launchers will destroy frigs with ease, but if its running Heavy Assault Missile Launchers, it won't do any damage. They are the same ship, with the same bonuses, but it really depends on how its fit and flown.

Twitch streamer and EVE NT tournament broadcaster.

Tyrendian Biohazard
The Bastards
Sedition.
#6 - 2014-07-29 13:21:54 UTC
Terry Qon wrote:
Thanks guys, looks like I have to learn what each type of weapon looks like.

What about lasers/missiles/rockets

Is there a site where it tells me which ships generally fit what type of weapons?

Also what about versing a frigate that just uses drones? Do I kill the drones?

You'll usually fit the weapons based on the bonuses of the ship you are flying (or know what your opponent will be using based on their ship's bonuses). General rules are:

Amarr - Lasers, with a few drone/missile ships
Caldari - Missiles and Hybrids
Gallente - Hybrids and Drones
Minmatar - Projectiles, with a few missile ships

Of course that isn't set in stone.

How you approach targets really depends on your fit, their fit, engagement ranges, etc. You specifically asked about drones, and it really depends on what kind of ship it is. An Incursus only has a drone bay/bandwidth for one light drone, but the ship has bonuses to hybrid weapons. I would be much more worried about the guns than a one single drone. Now, if it happens to be a Target Jammer Drone, you may want to clear it off the field or it could be a royal pain to deal with. If you come across, say, a Tristan, drones can be a primary weapon system for the ship, and you could try to clear them off field quickly, leaving the Tristan's DPS crippled and be able to take it on without breaking a sweat.

Of course, these are all just vague general instances. Real fights are a much more different experience. You can theorycraft all you want, but putting it into practice can be a whole other obstacle to overcome.

I'm not saying you have to memorize every detail of every ship. Keeping study guides on your desk and referencing websites any time you get into a fight. A lot of that knowledge is learned just by playing the game. But if you get a basic understanding of ship capabilities, how damage application works, what things need to take priority in a fight, etc, you will already have a solid foundation for a future of blowing ships up.

Terry Qon
Perkone
Caldari State
#7 - 2014-07-29 14:31:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Terry Qon
Thanks that was a lot of information!

As far as condor fits go, I'm really bad with the terminology so I don't know any of the abbreviations you used but just for the basics, would it be...

4 Rocket launchers or light missiles?
Medium shield extender
web
warp scrambler (what's the difference between disruptor and scrambler?)
afterburner? MWD?
No clue for low slots and rigs

actually I'm seeing a lot of condor fits with no tank and a tracking disruptor, that sounds really fun. I'm going to go read up on the basics of how tracking disruptors work, but if ur bored feel free to explain it to me in your own words! XD also what is the difference between using 2 disruptors instead of a web, as opposed to 1?
Tyrendian Biohazard
The Bastards
Sedition.
#8 - 2014-07-29 15:09:34 UTC
I've never flown a Condor but....

I would fit Light Missile Launchers (LMLs). Use the Condor's speed to your advantage. Rockets are very short range, where Light Missile can hit out quite far and apply their damage to small ships very well. The cycle (firing) time is high on standard Light Missile Launchers (as opposed to Rapid Light Missile Launchers, ie RLMLs), but should work well for what you need.

Raw DPS is just a number in EVE. The number doesn't mean anything unless it is actually applied to the target. Lets start with turret based weapons. (all specific info is in the info tab of a module if you want to compare numbers).

Turret weapons have tracking. Essentially it means whether or not a turret will be able to move fast enough to fire at a target. The smaller, and faster a ship is, it harder it is to hit for turrets. In addition to having their base tracking number, skills, modules, and ammunition types can affect the tracking for turrets. As well as optimal range, fall-off range, type of damage dealt, etc. If a ship is small and fast, turrets will constantly miss, or at the very least apply less damage. Where a large, slow ship will take the full amount of applicable damage. 1000 DPS is nothing if you can hit the target!

See here and click through the animation to see information of damage, falloff, tracking, etc.

Now missile systems apply their damage in another way. Missiles do not use tracking to apply damage, but rather have explosion radius (how wide the explosion is), and explosion velocity (how fast the explosion is). Damage is calculated against a target based on your missiles explosion radius/velocity, compared to their signature radius (how large their ship is), and speed.

Now, to get an understanding of how to mitigate damage, you need to understand the difference between Microwarp Drives (MWDs), and Afterburners (ABs). Afterburners increase your speed a fair amount, while generally using less capacitor, but your signature size remains the same. Thus using an AB against someone shooting missiles, or turret weapons, will help you take less damage. Now a MWD will GREATLY increase your speed, but if you look on your fitting window, you'll notice once your MWD is active, your signature radius is HUGE!! Without getting into various scenarios and introducing variables, this can actually make you take MORE damage (sometimes yes, sometimes no, like everything in EVE, the answer is "It Depends"). Some ships, like Interceptors, or Assault Frigates, will have a bonus that reduces their MWD signature radius bloom by 50% which can help out a ton when using MWDs.

So, moving on from applying and mitigating damage, you have utility. Generally utility type modules go into your mid-slots.

A warp disruptor (aka "long point") is a module that prevents your target from warping off. It has a warp disruption strength of +1. A warp scrambler (aka "short point") provides the same functionality, but has a warp disruption strength of +2. The different being that warp scramblers will shut down an opponents MWD, where a warp disruptor will not (also Microjump drives, but I wouldn't worry about those just yet). Warp disruptors also have over twice the distance as a warp scrambler. So as a kiter, you would want to keep your target on the field, but not get so close that they could hit you. Thus a warp disruptor would be the better way to go.

So moving on to tracking or sensor disruption. A tracking disruptor module will essentially disrupt an opponents turrets so that they will have a harder time hitting you. Based on the script that is loaded into it (tracking, or optimal, they load like ammo), you can change between whether you disrupt the tracking of their turrets, or how far out their optimal range is. The Sensor disruptor can mess with their targets (again, based on scripts loaded) to either make them take a lot longer to target you, or decrease their targeting range.

Finally, the web. When kiting, you will most likely have your MWD on, playing to the advantage of the Condor's speed. Orbiting a target and using your tracking or sensor disruption to prevent them from hitting you, but you still don't want them to get close! A web is handy that if a target does get close enough, you can try to web them, and coast out of their range. Or at the very least try to control the distance of a fight so you take less damage.

In terms of the lows, Damage control modules are generally used because they give a big buff to EHP (Effective hit points), and you could fit the other lowslot with a ballistic control system to increase your damage output.

Aaaannnddd thats probably the longest post I've ever written on Q&A. If you'd like to know more, some googling and youtube video searches will yield a ton of results to go through.

Terry Qon
Perkone
Caldari State
#9 - 2014-07-29 15:17:28 UTC
Thanks for taking the time to write all that, I've read it through and it's helped me understand the mechanics of a lot of things I was unsure about.

So from your advice and my own research, I'm looking at a condor fit that goes something like this

Light missile launchers (not sure if I can fit 3 or 4)

A warp disruptor, web, MWD, tracking disruptor with scripts

ballistic control system, overdrive injector

And I'll have to kite and fight from a long range.

I'm guessing with a fit like this, the moment I start taking any damage, I'm doing something wrong, and I should try to web and MWD out of there.
Bastion Arzi
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#10 - 2014-07-29 15:30:06 UTC
just remember its a game of rock paper scissors

one fit wont win you every fight.

Tyrendian Biohazard
The Bastards
Sedition.
#11 - 2014-07-29 15:36:27 UTC
Exactly. Knowing typical fits, engagement ranges of weapon types, etc will help you as well, but honestly I prefer learning those things by losing ships Smile

Also, the Condor has what some call a "Utility High" meaning it has more high slots than is has turret/launcher hardpoints. You'll only be able to fit 3 launchers, and will have an open high slot. Some people use that for various things. One thing it can be used for (depends on fitting resources) will be a energy neutralizer to drain capacitor of anyone that comes near you. Forcing them to drop point (or even stop firing weapons) if you live long enough to escape or re-engage on better suited terms.

Cara Forelli
State War Academy
Caldari State
#12 - 2014-07-29 17:05:27 UTC
Tyrendian Biohazard wrote:
I've never flown a Condor but....

Aaaannnddd thats probably the longest post I've ever written on Q&A. If you'd like to know more, some googling and youtube video searches will yield a ton of results to go through.

Big smile

Good post. Most of OPs questions were covered, but a few things.

-The site that Azda linked has a great article on different weapon systems which can give you a feel for what you are up against
-If you would like to use rockets, take a look at the Kestrel which uses similar skills to the Condor. The Breacher is also a fantastic rocket ship if you don't mind cross-training a bit. This will require you to fit more tank and is a very different style of fighting.
-Even in a missile ship it's important to understand turret tracking (so you can avoid damage from turret ships). Take a look at this video which explains it quite well.

Want to talk? Join my channel in game: House Forelli

Titan's Lament

Ashlar Vellum
Esquire Armaments
#13 - 2014-07-29 17:14:00 UTC
Usually in FW you will see something like this:

Kite condor:

- x3 LML T2

- x1 meta MWD
- x1 Point t2
- x1 meta TD
- lats med differs from fit to fit (TP, second TD or med/small ASB)

- x1 ballistic control system T2
-x1 this one differ too, usually it's t2 nanofiber or overdrive

rigs: depends on your last med: if you chose control modules like TD/TP or small ASB it will be something like this [x2 Polycarbon Engine Housing + x1 Warhead Calefaction Catalyst] if med ASB [x1 Polycarbon Engine Housing + x1 PG one + x1 CPU one] (imho med ASB takes too much and gives too little on a kitey condor, but people said it helps vs infinity cormorants etc.)

basic tips on how to fly: load TD optimal script and orbit 18-20km with little bit of manual piloting. You will have problems with drone ships - tristans, algoses, some times crucifiers or infinity cormorants . (in short with anything that don't care about your TD or how far you are) Ou, and I probably don't need to tell you, but scrammed = one dead condor.

Brawl condor:

- x3 Rocket LauncherT2
- x1 neut or nos T2

- x1 AB T2
- x1 scram T2
- x1 web T2
- TD or tank like med Shield Extender or ASB

- x1 Damage Control T2
-x1 (if last med is tank) - Auxilary Power Core t2; (if TD) AR t2 or AAR or 200mm meta plate

rigs: if last med is shield extender [x2 Core Defense Field Extender + x1 EM resist rig]; if TD and armor rep [x1 Bay Loading Accelerator + x1 Warhead Calefaction Catalyst]; if TD and plate [x1 Bay Loading Accelerator + x2 Trimark Armor Pump]

basic tips on how to fly: typically just get in range 5-6km to apply your neut and orbit/keep at range if you are vs a brawler or sit at 0 on the beacon and wait when kiter warps on you. But in reality it all depends on too many factors and variables.

Take this wall of text with a bag of salt, 'cause I'm still noobish at pvp and not that good in general. ;P
Yang Aurilen
State War Academy
Caldari State
#14 - 2014-07-30 00:57:42 UTC
Terry Qon wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to write all that, I've read it through and it's helped me understand the mechanics of a lot of things I was unsure about.

So from your advice and my own research, I'm looking at a condor fit that goes something like this

Light missile launchers (not sure if I can fit 3 or 4)

A warp disruptor, web, MWD, tracking disruptor with scripts

ballistic control system, overdrive injector

And I'll have to kite and fight from a long range.

I'm guessing with a fit like this, the moment I start taking any damage, I'm doing something wrong, and I should try to web and MWD out of there.

I prefer nano's over overdrives. Makes me less prone to losing point. Also a condor has 3 missile slots.

One thing I fit with my condors is to fit a buffer tank on it so that it has a wider engagement range especially against drone boats.

Post with your NPC alt main and not your main main alt!

Brink Albosa
Black Rebel Rifter Club
The Devil's Tattoo
#15 - 2014-07-30 01:43:14 UTC
Fly against the meta. I see a Condor in a plex, I would engage only if I was set up to catch him. (9/10 Condors are the 'cookie' LML TD variety)

Lots of sheeple in this game. Also +1 to the paper rock scissors thing.
Inxentas Ultramar
Ultramar Independent Contracting
#16 - 2014-07-30 11:11:12 UTC
Yeah Condors are cheap and so is your life. Try various fits, I'd personally be caught off guard a little if a Condor would start to brawl me down with rockets. It all comes down to creating the oppurtunity for your fit to shine.