These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Wormholes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CCP Fozzie.

First post
Author
epicurus ataraxia
Illusion of Solitude.
Illusion of Solitude
#21 - 2014-07-26 22:02:30 UTC
unimatrix0030 wrote:
HerrBert wrote:
Still continueing to think about this one: So here the Pro and Cons

I think most of your pro's and cons are realy all that much of an issue :
cons:
-Game mechancis : might be a lot of work for ccp, but we won't ever know that because it is NDA probably .
Should it have a high priority?No it would be nice to have though!
But who knows it might be an easy fix like the API data thingy, that was far from being a priority( i would rather seen other things changed before this) but still was done.

-Learned feature:
The sigs will be mostly as easy to read as before . If an incoming hole spawns more then 30 minutes after the others it will show an other patern anyway.
Not an issue for people with wormhole mapping software.

-More work: i would say less work because it has been scanned already... .

Pro's:
-new scanning experiance and little contribution to making navigation "extensive: i agree as you say

- Less work for locals: locals have the home advantage if they scanned their system. just as before and as should be.

+ 1 for not resetting id at downtime, it is a major P.I.A to rescan the chain again once you have just done it.
( EU player.) maybe keep ID and add a * to it? Make everyone happy.

There is one EvE. Many people. Many lifestyles. WE are EvE

Sith1s Spectre
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#22 - 2014-07-27 02:26:29 UTC
I mean they take 15-30 mins (more on patch nights) out of our game time every night. I think it's the least they could do for us :)

Resident forum troll and fashion consultant

Amarr Citizen 000001
League of Extraordinary Equines
#23 - 2014-07-27 03:19:15 UTC
but that would mean they'd have to plug another hard drive into the server to hold all that info
Winthorp
#24 - 2014-07-29 09:35:19 UTC
DT is coming....
Ab'del Abu
Atlantis Ascendant
#25 - 2014-07-29 09:48:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Ab'del Abu
I like how it is. We don't write down signatures anymore while scanning our chain because that information turned out to be largely irrelevant to us, we only do so for our home hole now. After DT we simply watch out for signatures that don't match the prevalent pattern, that's actually quite handy. Changing the mechanics would def. mess with our way of doing things ...

I figure the current mechanics might suck for alliances, but alliance bookmarks should take care of that soonTM.
Bleedingthrough
#26 - 2014-07-29 10:37:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Bleedingthrough
Ab'del Abu wrote:
I like how it is. We don't write down signatures anymore while scanning our chain because that information turned out to be largely irrelevant to us, we only do so for our home hole now. After DT we simply watch out for signatures that don't match the prevalent pattern, that's actually quite handy. Changing the mechanics would def. mess with our way of doing things ...

I figure the current mechanics might suck for alliances, but alliance bookmarks should take care of that soonTM.

... this would totally not work for us and other groups that a) don't have the numbers to take every fight and b) expose a ratting fleet outside home in order to make a living.

OPs suggestion has initially been suggested by me in Corbexxs thread and i still support it: Give us fixed sig IDs!
Ab'del Abu
Atlantis Ascendant
#27 - 2014-07-29 11:08:50 UTC
Bleedingthrough wrote:
Ab'del Abu wrote:

... this would totally not work for us and other groups that a) don't have the numbers to take every fight and b) expose a ratting fleet outside home in order to make a living.

But what do you need to know the signature's ids for? As long as you load the system first after DT before anyone else does coming from the outside and spawning a new K162, you should be safe without rescanning anything :)
Winthorp
#28 - 2014-07-29 12:37:58 UTC
Ab'del Abu wrote:

Your response makes no sense at all, what will Alliance BM's have to do with any of this?

The fact that you state you don't record signatures in your chain and your laziness as your reason to avoid change makes little sense as to why it shouldn't change, you should be aware CCP never listens to the reason "this is the way it has always been you can't change it on us" as a valid argument.
Ab'del Abu
Atlantis Ascendant
#29 - 2014-07-29 13:22:24 UTC
Winthorp wrote:
Ab'del Abu wrote:

Your response makes no sense at all, what will Alliance BM's have to do with any of this?

If - for whatever reason - bookmarks cannot be shared directly, signature IDs can be used to convey information about wormholes etc. As it stands this doesn't work when there is a downtime inbetween. Yes it's a minor issue ...

Winthorp wrote:
Ab'del Abu wrote:

The fact that you state you don't record signatures in your chain and your laziness as your reason to avoid change makes little sense as to why it shouldn't change, you should be aware CCP never listens to the reason "this is the way it has always been you can't change it on us" as a valid argument.

Everyone is going on about how they absolutely need to rescan all the things, but noone says why it's so vital. Noone has given a single ~good~ reason that justifies CCP putting their resources into making this change. Imho the benefits of the current system def. outweighs the disadvantages.

E.g., if this should actually change, everyone will need to use tools like tripwire or eveeye for parsing scan results in order to be able to notice new signatures. Or do you expect anyone to just manually write down those 200+ signatures in a larger chain? I hope CCP forces neither on us Ugh

As someone else already pointed out, such a change would probably mean more work for a majority of wormholers - including pilots from AU and EU timezones too.
Bleedingthrough
#30 - 2014-07-29 14:12:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Bleedingthrough
Ab'del Abu wrote:

E.g., if this should actually change, everyone will need to use tools like tripwire or eveeye for parsing scan results in order to be able to notice new signatures. Or do you expect anyone to just manually write down those 200+ signatures in a larger chain? I hope CCP forces neither on us Ugh

True. Would be very nice if ignored signatures would be remembered/flagged as ignored.
Cara Forelli
State War Academy
Caldari State
#31 - 2014-07-29 17:33:33 UTC
Bleedingthrough wrote:
True. Would be very nice if ignored signatures would be remembered/flagged as ignored.

But I don't think my Helios has enough CPU to handle storing all that data after I fit the expanded launcher....

Want to talk? Join my channel in game: House Forelli

Titan's Lament

Andrew Jester
Collapsed Out
Pandemic Legion
#32 - 2014-07-29 17:38:13 UTC
Just use the mass sig reader on any decent mapping tool. If you have everything scanned before DT, and the sigs before and after are the same, ignore everything.

If thuggin' was a category I'd win a Grammy

Jeremy Kamira
#33 - 2014-07-30 03:27:22 UTC
If anything i would see this as a bug to be fixed, not a new idea to put in place.
Jack Miton
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#34 - 2014-07-30 03:58:05 UTC
I miss fully random sigs.
kids these days.... just want everything on a silver platter...

There is no Bob.

Stuck In Here With Me:  http://sihwm.blogspot.com.au/

Down the Pipe:  http://feeds.feedburner.com/CloakyScout

Trinkets friend
Sudden Buggery
Sending Thots And Players
#35 - 2014-07-30 04:22:15 UTC
Leave it as is. Include some kind of new music when a wormhole has active players in it, so you know instantly upon entering system that there's someone to shoot.

i suggest;
Benny hill = PI alts active
Jaws = Tengu found ratting
Blurred Lines = Nestor aFKing at POS
Winthorp
#36 - 2014-07-30 05:31:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Winthorp
Ab'del Abu wrote:
Winthorp wrote:
Ab'del Abu wrote:

If - for whatever reason - bookmarks cannot be shared directly, signature IDs can be used to convey information about wormholes etc. As it stands this doesn't work when there is a downtime inbetween. Yes it's a minor issue ...

Winthorp wrote:
Ab'del Abu wrote:

Everyone is going on about how they absolutely need to rescan all the things, but noone says why it's so vital. Noone has given a single ~good~ reason that justifies CCP putting their resources into making this change. Imho the benefits of the current system def. outweighs the disadvantages.

As someone else already pointed out, such a change would probably mean more work for a majority of wormholers - including pilots from AU and EU timezones too.

I find it hard to believe that there are people still in WH space that don't use mapping tools, and if they don't they are special kind of crazy person that i just can't spend my time explaining the benefits to.

Usually the people that want to see this idea stay the same are US TZ people that like that they can instantly see a new signature pop up to find the active WH chain they should be scouting, i was assuming this was you untill i realized you are that special kind of person that has never used a mapping tool to understands its merits when it comes to mass sig reading and recording.

As an AU player CCP investing in this VERY SMALL CHANGE would make it more likely that newer players that are from AU or early EU are more likely to stay in WH space instead of getting an arduous chore after every DT to do before they can play the game again, i am bitter and whiney yes but your reasons for CCP not doing this go only towards it will make it less likely for you to see a new WH... How lazy is that?

Maybe you should ask every large WH corp/alliance how hard it is to get AU players new and old and then retain them to WH space where they have to scan before DT before they can play the game and then in their prime time the game goes offline for 15-30mins and then when they log back in they have to at the bare minimum rescan the home Wh... Ask them why they just end up going back to null. (Only the committed and crazy WH Aussies stay in the end)
Cara Forelli
State War Academy
Caldari State
#37 - 2014-07-30 06:12:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Cara Forelli
Bleedingthrough wrote:

I think this would really be a great change as well, and would quiet any US TZ concerns about your suggested change. Mapping tools are great for large corps/alliances that need to share their chains with a lot of people, but it is a bit overkill for small groups or solo roamers. Having ignored sigs flagged would give nearly the same functionality within the game, as far as identifying new signatures. In-game solutions are always better than a third party tool IMO, no matter how nifty it is. And it's not outside the realm of reason; why shouldn't your ship be able to remember signatures it scanned just because it left the system?

I'm not saying that this would replace mappers. They obviously are invaluable in sharing sig data with large groups. But wouldn't it be NICE.

Want to talk? Join my channel in game: House Forelli

Titan's Lament

Sith1s Spectre
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#38 - 2014-07-30 11:22:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Sith1s Spectre
Winthorp wrote:
(Only the committed and crazy WH Aussies stay in the end)

Resident crazy AU bro checking in

P.S Miss you Winnie the Thorp. I still owe you a beer @ EDU

Resident forum troll and fashion consultant

Andrew Jester
Collapsed Out
Pandemic Legion
#39 - 2014-07-30 13:13:06 UTC
Sith1s Spectre wrote:
Winthorp wrote:
(Only the committed and crazy WH Aussies stay in the end)

Resident crazy AU bro checking in

P.S Miss you Winnie the Thorp. I still owe you a beer @ EDU

One day Winny will stay in one place. Damn free spirits...

If thuggin' was a category I'd win a Grammy

Trinkets friend
Sudden Buggery
Sending Thots And Players
#40 - 2014-07-31 00:50:29 UTC
Goodbye Winthorp
Though I never knew you at all
You had the grace to hold yourself
While those around you crawled
They crawled out of the wormholes
And they whispered into your d-scan
They set you on the treadmill