These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

Titan - What's the point?

Author
Poen
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1 - 2014-07-28 09:29:57 UTC
With all the great updates and content it's hard to really pay attention to a pie in the sky ship like the titan. However, ever since I began playing eve online years ago, it was always my intention to sit in a titan by any means. I'm the kind of gamer that has no problem spending months working up the resources and components and implants, just to lose them all in one great fight or something. And as I skilled to mission and mine for everything I needed, I also raised skills from the titan mastery pages and prerequisites to the point where I'm only 79 d away, less with my last neural remap for spaceship command.

Let me first say that tactical Titan use that I've seen on youtube is pretty impressive, and I understand why if you value your investment you'd be very careful with a Titan.The point is I spent at least a year and some working to that goal and I'm now saving up for a BPC to build. When I brought this to the "Help" chat I got some pretty upturned noses. I don't get it, these are the biggest, baddest ships out there, the showcase of CCP right there. Consider the kind of attention it brings, the new players it must intrigue. They told me it would never happen, because noone would let you actually get the titan built. That people would raid it and sack the goods and sell them off. They also told me that the Titan is apparently worthless in combat. I'm also told that titan pilots are "forced" to logout to make alternate characters and only log on when they are summoned. And then finally I was told the Titan isn't even a fun adversary to fight.

I guess the Titan is not really a possibility for me after all. After all of the isk I spent on the skillbooks and the time it took to train these skills, it's just not possible. Why is the game designed this way? Titans are like the size of mobile cities, they look spectacular compared to some of the smaller ships, and in a space game there is a great need for a looming giant that is both difficult and fun to fight. And it's something that drew me to EVE right away. I had a misconception about Titans, that perhaps after all these years they would have been improved or reworked to either provide a benefit to players or provide a fun fight for all these 300 man Hawk fleets! And just to see the brilliant explosion of the huge ship, it would be worth it. It is a game after all. Imagine if everyone just shot down anyone that chose to play minmatar, I feel it's an apt comparison.

Anyways I say this with peace and love, I really enjoy the community and the game, I just don't get why if I want to make a big ship and lose it entertaining some corporation or something, and get podded, and it doesn't bother me, that I'd be allowed that opportunity. It was truly my goal to sit in the Titan and see for myself what it was like. I'm still going to finish the skillplan for it, in hopes that someday Titans don't have to be forced to play a certain way.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#2 - 2014-07-28 09:31:09 UTC
Well, one of them is shaped like a huge *****, if that is worth anything.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

TharOkha
0asis Group
#3 - 2014-07-28 09:37:19 UTC
Quote:
Titan - What's the point?

They are thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig I.......................................O.o.........................................I
Yarda Black
The Black Redemption
#4 - 2014-07-28 09:37:42 UTC
I had the same feeling when I started flying caps. I finished training a titan character long ago. Still dont have one.

The rest of your post makes little sense to me. It looks like you think its strange other people want to blow up a 125 billion isk ship.

I really dont understand how you claim to work for building a titan, but spend no time in making sure you build it safely.
Alastair Ormand
Mine all the things
#5 - 2014-07-28 09:48:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Alastair Ormand
So you want a Titan?

The problem with the Titan is its inability to escape once captured. You need a large fleet of capitals ready to pull your ass out of the fire if you do get tackled taking it for a joy ride or DDing a red carrier/dread or something.

If you do take it of the POS for some fun, it's going to bring immediate attention from PL, BL, the CFC etc if it's seen on DSCAN. Especially now that you've annouced it on GD

Warping a Titan can take a longgggggg time without Intertia stabs and velocity modifiers and other mods.

So this leaves you with a couple of options.

1. Join the one of the big players like the CFC or PL and they'd probably be able to back you up when you get into strife while out hunting down capitals for lols. Dunno how long it will take for you to get on that sort of level of trust, but whatever. Also don't join one of these guys saying "Hey guys I got a Titan, where do you want it?" They'll probably kill it for the lols. best to get it after you've proven you're competent.

2. Probably a dumb option, but. have cyno alts or cyno generators within jump range of the Titan at all times so if a HIC/dictor warps onto grid you can immedately cyno out of system (but this will require you at jump cap at all times). Risks of this method are, One: They know your cyno alts/generators and just sit in system with them and get you to panic cyno out to one of them and bam, you're tackled and dead.

3. Use your Titan for bridging only, keeping it in the POS shield means it's just about 100% safe. POS bumping is now illegal as long as the Titan is fully within the shield (as I understand it).

I discourage running with scissors.

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#6 - 2014-07-28 09:49:26 UTC
Once you've finished skilling for a titan you can sell the character for a pretty penny. And then go use the isk for something fun.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Alavaria Fera
Imperial Shipment
#7 - 2014-07-28 09:50:29 UTC
Alastair Ormand wrote:
3. Use your Titan for bridging only, keeping it in the POS shield means it's just about 100% safe. POS bumping is now illegal as long as the Titan is fully within the shield (as I understand it).

When a spy gets the POS shield password, they can still bump you out.

Yes, the Titan is more like you buy something for your coalition's supercap FC to use. Somewhat similarly for supercarrier

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#8 - 2014-07-28 09:51:38 UTC
one of my characters has been titan ready for a year now and i just don't care to put it in one because it wouldn't be used for actual combat more than once a year

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Ramona McCandless
The McCandless Clan
#9 - 2014-07-28 09:53:14 UTC
Weren't those things obvious before you felt that you wanted to sit in one?

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Arkady Romanov
Whole Squid
#10 - 2014-07-28 09:56:05 UTC
Even CCP basically designed them as a giant **** that you can roll over lesser player's faces, and not much else.

That said, B-R was won by titans because under heavy Tidi, their doomsday weapons were the only things able to be reliably used.

There are also people who do "drive by doomsdaying" on ratting carriers, which is rather risky.

It seems to me that you saw a Titan as some sort of "end game" that you could aspire to, and then were disappointed when you learned it wasn't. That's just EVE. There's no end game, and a Titan is just one tool among many.

Whole Squid: Get Inked.

Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#11 - 2014-07-28 09:57:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Andski
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Weren't those things obvious before you felt that you wanted to sit in one?

I got the skillbooks as a gift and I eventually got all of the titan-related skills to 5 on that character. That character also has max leadership and max Nyx/Thanatos/Moros skills so I figured it wouldn't hurt to get it to max Erebus skills.

Right now I don't even have any capital pilots subscribed (other than this one which can fly a Nag)

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2014-07-28 10:01:45 UTC
Poen wrote:
With all the great updates and content it's hard to really pay attention to a pie in the sky ship like the titan. However, ever since I began playing eve online years ago, it was always my intention to sit in a titan by any means. I'm the kind of gamer that has no problem spending months working up the resources and components and implants, just to lose them all in one great fight or something. And as I skilled to mission and mine for everything I needed, I also raised skills from the titan mastery pages and prerequisites to the point where I'm only 79 d away, less with my last neural remap for spaceship command.

Let me first say that tactical Titan use that I've seen on youtube is pretty impressive, and I understand why if you value your investment you'd be very careful with a Titan.The point is I spent at least a year and some working to that goal and I'm now saving up for a BPC to build. When I brought this to the "Help" chat I got some pretty upturned noses. I don't get it, these are the biggest, baddest ships out there, the showcase of CCP right there. Consider the kind of attention it brings, the new players it must intrigue. They told me it would never happen, because noone would let you actually get the titan built. That people would raid it and sack the goods and sell them off. They also told me that the Titan is apparently worthless in combat. I'm also told that titan pilots are "forced" to logout to make alternate characters and only log on when they are summoned. And then finally I was told the Titan isn't even a fun adversary to fight.

I guess the Titan is not really a possibility for me after all. After all of the isk I spent on the skillbooks and the time it took to train these skills, it's just not possible. Why is the game designed this way? Titans are like the size of mobile cities, they look spectacular compared to some of the smaller ships, and in a space game there is a great need for a looming giant that is both difficult and fun to fight. And it's something that drew me to EVE right away. I had a misconception about Titans, that perhaps after all these years they would have been improved or reworked to either provide a benefit to players or provide a fun fight for all these 300 man Hawk fleets! And just to see the brilliant explosion of the huge ship, it would be worth it. It is a game after all. Imagine if everyone just shot down anyone that chose to play minmatar, I feel it's an apt comparison.

Anyways I say this with peace and love, I really enjoy the community and the game, I just don't get why if I want to make a big ship and lose it entertaining some corporation or something, and get podded, and it doesn't bother me, that I'd be allowed that opportunity. It was truly my goal to sit in the Titan and see for myself what it was like. I'm still going to finish the skillplan for it, in hopes that someday Titans don't have to be forced to play a certain way.

Titan is a ship made not to be wanted and used by 1 person, but by a corporation of at least a few dozen.. anythign elss than that and its a waste of an account.

"If brute force does not solve your problem....  then you are  surely not using enough!"

Alastair Ormand
Mine all the things
#13 - 2014-07-28 10:01:52 UTC
Alavaria Fera wrote:
Alastair Ormand wrote:

When a spy gets the POS shield password, they can still bump you out.

Yes, the Titan is more like you buy something for your coalition's supercap FC to use. Somewhat similarly for supercarrier

Make a corp. Put yourself in it and no one else. Set access to corp only. Problem solved!

I discourage running with scissors.

Alavaria Fera
Imperial Shipment
#14 - 2014-07-28 10:04:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Alavaria Fera
Actually the way to do it is make sure titan pilots have roles to reset the pos password, allowing them to just change it whenever they feel threatened at all. We can't have our 50 titan pilots all in a corp each, especially since not everyone will set up a tower (also needs moons etc). Easier to do it on a per-membercorp basis.

This is very important, by the way, bad things happen if you're in a pos with a password that spies could find, and are not able to change it. (Of course jumping out is a possibility before you are tackled... though you might be bubbled even within the pos bubble)

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#15 - 2014-07-28 10:07:05 UTC
Remove all supercaps.
Alavaria Fera
Imperial Shipment
#16 - 2014-07-28 10:10:29 UTC
Supercaps are critical for vince draken's plan to destroy the evil blobbers and create a non-blue donut of northern associates

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#17 - 2014-07-28 10:17:03 UTC
Alavaria Fera wrote:
Supercaps are critical for vince draken's plan to destroy the evil blobbers and create a non-blue donut of northern associates

Soooo… remove all supercaps?
Arkady Romanov
Whole Squid
#18 - 2014-07-28 10:19:10 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Soooo… remove all supercaps?

Oh god I wish. I want to see a nullsec sov meta based around a variety of ships where newer players can actually have a meaningful combat position rather than the cap/supercap monstrosity we have going on now.

Whole Squid: Get Inked.

Alavaria Fera
Imperial Shipment
#19 - 2014-07-28 10:19:34 UTC
No they can't kill us with just subcaps. The structure grinds would kill them instead.

Adrie Atticus
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#20 - 2014-07-28 10:36:20 UTC
Poen wrote:

Titan is a flying space coffin, you have to sit in it 24/7. It cannot take on anything without being locked into a system for along time. Takes support fleet to work at an acceptable level.

I get your point 100%, but you thin that EvE is a single player game and that everything should be doable solo. If you can get sov solo and hold it until the titan is built, then all the power to you, but the second even a small corp hears that someone is doing a solo sov titan build you will get headshotted and aborted immediately.
123Next page