These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Greed is not good

First post
Author
Ten Bulls
Sons of Olsagard
#81 - 2011-12-08 00:34:35 UTC
Mendolus wrote:

Morality and ethics are two very distinct concepts,

Agreed, i think Aristotle and Plato disagreed on it, but do you know the difference ?

Mendolus wrote:

and you cannot attribute moral profundity to an entertainment product, only to necessities.

Well, that depends on how you define morality.
Licinius CrassusFilius
Space Construction and Research
#82 - 2011-12-08 11:10:00 UTC
Valei Khurelem wrote:

Until the Nex Store is gone, CCP are not a games company, they are a business.

With all due respect and I mean with all due respect, that is quite possibly one of the dumbest things I have ever seen written on these forums. Are you saying that games companies aren't businesses??? What are they, some sort of non-profit collective?
Lors Dornick
Kallisti Industries
#83 - 2011-12-08 11:13:12 UTC
Valei Khurelem wrote:

Erh?

And how would a games company survive if they wasn't a business?

CCP Greyscale: As to starbases, we agree it's pretty terrible, but we don't want to delay the entire release just for this one factor.

Jade Constantine
Jericho Fraction
The Star Fraction
#84 - 2011-12-08 11:19:27 UTC
Licinius CrassusFilius wrote:
Valei Khurelem wrote:

With all due respect and I mean with all due respect, that is quite possibly one of the dumbest things I have ever seen written on these forums. Are you saying that games companies aren't businesses??? What are they, some sort of non-profit collective?

As writ that quote does sound a bit funny. How about:

"Until the NeX store is gone, CCP are no longer my favourite trustworthy impassioned imaginative games company; with NeX they are just another identikit shill business treating customers as marks to be squeezed for every cent."

The True Knowledge is that nothing matters that does not matter to you, might does make right and power makes freedom

Zagdul
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#85 - 2011-12-08 11:33:46 UTC
So, Netflix lose 3 percent of it's subscriber base for a 60% rate increase to a member share that amounted to 30% of their total customers?

I bet the share holders are grinning with dollar signs in their eyes. Smart move, even with the loss in subscribers.

Dual Pane idea: Click!

CCP Please Implement

DarkAegix
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#86 - 2011-12-08 11:37:10 UTC
Richard Aiel wrote:

They thought the could raise their prices 60% like how CCP thought we'd have no issue with a MT store injected into out MT free game.

Sorry to disappoint, but X is not Y.
rodyas
Tie Fighters Inc
#87 - 2011-12-08 11:42:34 UTC  |  Edited by: rodyas
CCP Prism X wrote:
I wish I had NetFlix here in Iceland Straight

On the topic of greed: Greed cannot be good as the definition requires excess. Greed is a state of restlessness and it is not to be confused with ambition, necessity or drive. When Ivan Boesky coined the phrase in question he, hopefully, meant to inspire ambition and drive. At least I see no gain from muddling up the definition to include grey areas.
Necessity is amoral. Ambition and drive are good as if taken to extremes they are actually greed.

But yes.. I wish I had NetFlix! That is clearly the main point of this post!

The desire for netflix might drive you to the level of greed. Wish I was yoda so I knew the chain you have to deal with before you end up there but the drive for netflix can be strong.

Look at me with my monocle, my drive for eliteism has left me with one eye missing.

*edit*

Oh gross I am talking to dead people, many pardons.

Signature removed for inappropriate language - CCP Eterne