These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Market Discussions

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

Effects of the job cost increase.

Author
Khara Taredi
Parallel Production
Goonswarm Federation
#1 - 2014-07-22 18:23:39 UTC
Now that crius is live and everyone has had a chance to look at the numbers for industry jobs I'm curious what everyone thinks about the effects this will have on the value of isk.

Since almost everything in Eve is created by players CCP effectively put a giant isk sink into the game with the change to job costs.
Since I'm still relatively new I don't have a good idea about how much isk is actually generated "out of the blue" by things like bounties but I'm guessing it's more than whatever leaves the game through sinks like the LP store.
Now that job costs are up significantly even more isk is gonna leave the game (possibly more than through the LP store).

What do you think this will do the overall economy?
My guess is that short term we won't see much of change because of old stock and people still adapting to the changes.
But once we run out of that I'm assuming prices will go up to compensate for higher production costs.

What I'm mostly interested in is the time after that.
Compared to the old prices for running jobs, which were negligible in terms of an isk sink, the new increase actually removes a lot of isk from the game.
Would it be possible that we'll see deflation in the long run and prices for everything coming down?

As a second point I'm also wondering what these changes will do for newer players who want to get into industry.
Like I said, I'm still pretty new but I have a decent BPO collection. Before crius I was looking at new markets but after checking the cost and time required to research all the new BPOs I think I'm gonna wait a little to see what happens to the prices.

My point here is that it will take a lot more time and capital to get into industry. New players will be competing against a lot of people with perfect BPOs that were created cheaper and faster. While starting out they'll have to deal with lower profit margins for longer.

Someone also mentioned that T1 production was heavily tied to refinery and with the changes to that T1 manufacturing will become less profitable. If this is true that it will only make it even harder for new players to start off their industry empire.
Do you agree or am I missing something here?

Obligatory tl;dr
- Job costs are up and are a new (big) isk sink. Will we see deflation in the long run?
- Costs and time requirement for ME/TE research increased significantly. Will this make it harder for new players to enter the market?

Looking forward to read what you all think.
Paul VonBel
VonBel
#2 - 2014-07-22 18:52:53 UTC
This....

Quote:
But once we run out of that I'm assuming prices will go up to compensate for higher production costs.

And this.....

Quote:
the new increase actually removes a lot of isk from the game.
Would it be possible that we'll see deflation in the long run and prices for everything coming down?

.... Are both contradictory. It's difficult to say, both could happen, personally I think they'll cancel eachother out and we won't see a massive change either way. Perhaps a small increase per your first point, but I don't see the costs of manufacturing effectively deflating the entire economy.

If the economy does appear to be deflating, I think it would do so naturally - IE - T2 BPO costs and PLEX costs being wild right now, and won't last forever. But I doubt they'd change because Miney McMiner has to pay a few extra ISK to build his retrievers.

Are you a market trader? Do you want to chat with other traders? Then join my ingame chat channel: VonBel Trading

Khara Taredi
Parallel Production
Goonswarm Federation
#3 - 2014-07-22 19:07:59 UTC
It's contradictory if you assume it'll happen at the same time.
What I meant was that it'll go something like this.
- Short term prices stay the same due to old stock.
- Mid term prices will go up cause we run out of that old stock and overall production can't meet the demand because people are waiting to see where the market settles.
- Long term people start producing again but because everything has been so expensive average joe doesn't have a lot of isk anymore and demand will be lower. It will take a while for this decrease to move through the market until it reaches base materials like minerals. Once the demand gets lower at the base prices will naturally get lower as well and everything else will in turn follow until we reach a new equilibrium where everything is material price plus a little profit.

Of course this is just wild guessing on my part because it's hard to really estimate the amount of isk that leaves the system.
Maybe I'm just overestimating the isk sink but to me it seems like a significant change in a game where almost everything is player built.
Sellion Nali
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#4 - 2014-07-22 20:05:50 UTC
I think that the overall effects will be a new down trend in the price of PLEX since ISK will become more valuable, or atleast a sideways trend. Refreshing IMO. The rest pretty much stays the same, except probably more pos's and higher capital requirements for manufacturing, hence more mining and the downtrends in those prices that we are getting now.
Michael Mach
Arx One
#5 - 2014-07-22 20:32:42 UTC
Taking everything you've said into account and acknowledging your scenario of an economy depreciating, I just can't see how it can happen. Inflation has been the way of the economy well before Crius and the new ISK sinks introduced will do little to reverse it.

It'll be more difficult for newer players to cope with the changes because of the aforementioned ISK sinks that particularly hit people hard in high sec. Factor in that they have also have a disadvantage brawling it out in the team auctions because they just don't have the capital to do so. Same goes with researching blueprints, albeit higher ore yield should help offset the disadvantages of an unresearched blueprint.

You can expect less engagement from these players in industry, and the game as a whole while buying power for players is still a problem and will continue to be.
Sellion Nali
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#6 - 2014-07-22 20:35:54 UTC
Michael Mach wrote:
Taking everything you've said into account and acknowledging your scenario of an economy depreciating, I just can't see how it can happen. Inflation has been the way of the economy well before Crius and the new ISK sinks introduced will do little to reverse it.

It'll be more difficult for newer players to cope with the changes because of the aforementioned ISK sinks that particularly hit people hard in high sec. Factor in that they have also have a disadvantage brawling it out in the team auctions because they just don't have the capital to do so. Same goes with researching blueprints, albeit higher ore yield should help offset the disadvantages of an unresearched blueprint.

You can expect less engagement from these players in industry, and the game as a whole while buying power for players is still a problem and will continue to be.

Have you seen mineral price trends lately? Trit has gone down by about 20% BEFORE the tax took place
Sellion Nali
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#7 - 2014-07-22 20:38:44 UTC
I remember ccp saying something about they wanting players to have less inventories of stuff, they want to decrease the hoarding of minerals and isk, and look at we have now, isn't it perfect and simple?
Michael Mach
Arx One
#8 - 2014-07-22 20:41:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Michael Mach
Sellion Nali wrote:
Michael Mach wrote:

Have you seen mineral price trends lately? Trit has gone down by about 20% BEFORE the tax took place

All in anticipation of the better yield in Crius - I can imagine why people would want to dump their inventory for the best price possible before Crius was released with the yield buff.

But take a look at anything else player created - I'd bet that the price is higher on that item than it was a month before.

And even if I'm completely wrong on that front, there's still the PLEX prices to gawk at.
Sellion Nali
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#9 - 2014-07-22 20:42:50 UTC
Michael Mach wrote:
Sellion Nali wrote:
Michael Mach wrote:

All in anticipation of the better yield in Crius - I can imagine why people would want to dump their inventory for the best price possible before Crius.

But take a look at anything else player created - I'd bet that the price is higher on that item than it was a month before.

Yes because the profit margins are way down because of the taxes!
Sellion Nali
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#10 - 2014-07-22 20:43:47 UTC
Its all about ISK valuation now and its effects on new trends and price levels, I mean how much isk will start going out of the system with these taxes?
Sellion Nali
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#11 - 2014-07-22 20:45:00 UTC
Right now I am trying to test the market direction for minerals by market making, guess what? I am buying way more than selling!
Michael Mach
Arx One
#12 - 2014-07-22 20:51:06 UTC
Sellion Nali wrote:
Right now I am trying to test the market direction for minerals by market making, guess what? I am buying way more than selling!

Probably a good idea considering I've staked my position that prices on player manufactured goods will be going up in continuation with inflation trends. Thanks for proving my point.
Sellion Nali
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#13 - 2014-07-22 21:01:45 UTC
Michael Mach wrote:
Sellion Nali wrote:

Probably a good idea considering I've staked my position that prices on player manufactured goods will be going up in continuation with inflation trends. Thanks for proving my point.

What the? Are you a noob? I am telling you that I am buying more eg. players are selling their minerals. Inflation levels will go down!
Michael Mach
Arx One
#14 - 2014-07-22 21:10:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Michael Mach
Sellion Nali wrote:
Michael Mach wrote:
Sellion Nali wrote:

What the? Are you a noob? I am telling you that I am buying more eg. players are selling their minerals. Inflation levels will go down!

Unrelated personal insult aside, you're talking about one market; minerals. To say that the trend of minerals will dictate in one-hundred-percent correlation with every other market pertaining to player manufactured goods is laughable. While the two markets are related and have influence on one another, there is a limit to where that influence ends.

So let's break it down step by step.

Minerals are the result of mining, a profession made more widely available to people including newer players because of the low requirements - you don't need researched blueprints, you don't need to pour over spreadsheets, and with the incoming expansion, you don't need to bid on some weird mining boosting team for your system to make sure you're getting the most bang for whatever buck you have.

Mining is easy, thus more players are inclined to mine and turn it over than to use it for further industry projects. And with the release of the Crius expansion and the higher yields that follow, mining is even more encouraged, meaning that minerals will become a buyer's market: stock is high, price is low.

On the manufacturing side of things, Crius has made it more difficult financially for players to manufacture goods from these minerals, meaning fewer players are involved and fewer goods will be produced, resulting in a lower stock, further contributing to the overall inflation of the economy.

Therefore, it's perfectly reasonable to say that the mineral market isn't tied completely to the hip of the markets player created goods compose and can go in the opposite direction of the economy in whole.
Sellion Nali
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#15 - 2014-07-22 21:15:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Sellion Nali
Michael Mach wrote:
Sellion Nali wrote:
Michael Mach wrote:
Sellion Nali wrote:

Unrelated personal insult aside, you're talking about one market; minerals. To say that the trend of minerals will dictate in one-hundred-percent correlation with every other market pertaining to player manufactured goods is laughable. While the two markets are related and have influence on one another, there is a limit to where that influence ends.

Minerals are the result of mining, a profession made more widely available to people including newer players because of the low requirements - you don't need researched blueprints, you don't need to pour over spreadsheets, and with the incoming expansion, you don't need to bid on some weird mining boosting team for your system to make sure you're getting the most bang for whatever buck you have.

Mining is easy, thus more players are inclined to mine and turn it over than to use it for further industry projects. And with the release of the Crius expansion and the higher yields that follow, mining is even more encouraged, meaning that minerals will become a buyer's market: stock is high, price is low.

On the manufacturing side of things, Crius has made it more difficult financially for players to manufacture goods from these minerals, meaning fewer players are involved and fewer goods will be produced, resulting in a lower stock, further contributing to the overall inflation of the economy.

Therefore, it's perfectly reasonable to say that the mineral market isn't tied completely to the hip of the markets player created goods compose and can go in the opposite direction of the economy in whole.

You are right up to this point "On the manufacturing side of things, Crius has made it more difficult financially for players to manufacture goods from these minerals, meaning fewer players are involved and fewer goods will be produced, resulting in a lower stock, further contributing to the overall inflation of the economy."

Because CCP is not taking minerals away as payment, they are charging you a tax in isk!
Hence even thou mineral requirements are higher, the tax overpowers this by a lot as seen in reduced mineral prices!
Unless the market is wrong, and I highly doubt it, then trends will continue, its already starting with ships, with salvaged materials and their producs, look it up.

If the higher bpo mineral requirements cost was higher than the tax then prices wouldn't go down, they would remain stable or go up if the tax was much lower, but its not, its a solid 10%! Which will eat isk with every single production and market cicle. The effects are only beggining today and look at the prices already.
Qmamoto Kansuke
Killing with pink power
Penguins with lasorz
#16 - 2014-07-22 21:26:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Qmamoto Kansuke
Michael Mach wrote:
Sellion Nali wrote:
Michael Mach wrote:
Sellion Nali wrote:

You need to see how fast is building now.Its almost absurd something that used to take 2.5 days now takes 6 hoursShocked

If that doesn't crash the whole market hard I don't know what will.Profits will become so slim only the baddest and biggest will survive.
Sellion Nali
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#17 - 2014-07-22 21:40:56 UTC
Qmamoto Kansuke wrote:
Michael Mach wrote:
Sellion Nali wrote:
Michael Mach wrote:
Sellion Nali wrote:

You need to see how fast is building now.Its almost absurd something that used to take 2.5 days now takes 6 hoursShocked

If that doesn't crash the whole market hard I don't know what will.Profits will become so slim only the baddest and biggest will survive.

Oh that too!? No way. Hah now we are in for a ride :D
Michael Mach
Arx One
#18 - 2014-07-22 21:41:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Michael Mach
Qmamoto Kansuke wrote:
Michael Mach wrote:
Sellion Nali wrote:
Michael Mach wrote:
Sellion Nali wrote:

Less participants in the game mean lower volume, higher cost - further reinforcing my belief in continued inflation.
Sellion Nali
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#19 - 2014-07-22 21:44:56 UTC
WAIT A MINUTE!! Then why do my fighter done bpo's are showing 3 days in manufacturing instead of 2 weeks? If this is true for most products then profits will be very very low! Man this is so weird.
Michael Mach
Arx One
#20 - 2014-07-22 21:46:04 UTC
Sellion Nali wrote:
Michael Mach wrote:
Sellion Nali wrote:
Michael Mach wrote:
Sellion Nali wrote:

You are right up to this point "On the manufacturing side of things, Crius has made it more difficult financially for players to manufacture goods from these minerals, meaning fewer players are involved and fewer goods will be produced, resulting in a lower stock, further contributing to the overall inflation of the economy."

Because CCP is not taking minerals away as payment, they are charging you a tax in isk!
Hence even thou mineral requirements are higher, the tax overpowers this by a lot as seen in reduced mineral prices!
Unless the market is wrong, and I highly doubt it, then trends will continue, its already starting with ships, with salvaged materials and their producs, look it up.

If the higher bpo mineral requirements cost was higher than the tax then prices wouldn't go down, they would remain stable or go up if the tax was much lower, but its not, its a solid 10%! Which will eat isk with every single production and market cicle. The effects are only beggining today and look at the prices already.

And that ISK is made up in markup by manufacturers, further contributing to price hikes.
123Next page