These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Beer Online

First post First post
Author
CyBorn
Chevauchee Sojourn
#141 - 2014-06-23 02:41:25 UTC
My favorite beer is Whiskey
CCP Lebowski
C C P
C C P Alliance
#142 - 2014-06-23 10:52:13 UTC
CyBorn's not on board Lol

CCP Lebowski | EVE Quality Assurance | Team Five-0

@CCP_Lebowski

vynok
Sub Par.
#143 - 2014-06-26 23:09:14 UTC
CCP Goliath wrote:
Exciting moment for me yesterday! After months of attending others people's brew days, I finally got to have one of my own!!! Decided on a wheat since I love them so much, and more specifically, as close to a Blue Moon clone as I could get. Grain bill was very simple, just 2.5kg of pale malt, 2kg of wheat and 500g of Cara-Pils. Super light on the hops, 15g of Cascade for 45 mins and 15g for 10 mins, along with some orange peel and pith, and some cracked coriander seeds, for 5 mins. Yeast would ideally have been WLP400 but in the absence of that we used T-58 dry yeast. Since it was 1 month past its best, Sledgehammer decided we should make a starter with it. The thing was a monster, making bids to escape its glass prison every 20 mins or so, and smelled wonderfully light.

Waking up this morning, going to check on it, and finding it bubbling away like a champ is definitely one of the more exciting moments of recent memory! Big smile

AWESOME!! Another of the faithful has joined the ranks! Grats on your first brew!
CyBorn
Chevauchee Sojourn
#144 - 2014-06-27 01:11:41 UTC
CCP Lebowski wrote:
CyBorn's not on board Lol

HAHAHA

I do enjoy a good beer, especially in the summer. Don't really have a favorite bran though. I enjoy the micro brews, the small crafted ones.
CCP Lebowski
C C P
C C P Alliance
#145 - 2014-06-27 11:33:17 UTC
vynok wrote:
CCP Goliath wrote:
Exciting moment for me yesterday! After months of attending others people's brew days, I finally got to have one of my own!!! Decided on a wheat since I love them so much, and more specifically, as close to a Blue Moon clone as I could get. Grain bill was very simple, just 2.5kg of pale malt, 2kg of wheat and 500g of Cara-Pils. Super light on the hops, 15g of Cascade for 45 mins and 15g for 10 mins, along with some orange peel and pith, and some cracked coriander seeds, for 5 mins. Yeast would ideally have been WLP400 but in the absence of that we used T-58 dry yeast. Since it was 1 month past its best, Sledgehammer decided we should make a starter with it. The thing was a monster, making bids to escape its glass prison every 20 mins or so, and smelled wonderfully light.

Waking up this morning, going to check on it, and finding it bubbling away like a champ is definitely one of the more exciting moments of recent memory! Big smile

AWESOME!! Another of the faithful has joined the ranks! Grats on your first brew!

I helped by drinking copiously and offering moral support, a key part of the brewing process! Big smile

CCP Lebowski | EVE Quality Assurance | Team Five-0

@CCP_Lebowski

CCP Sledgehammer
C C P
C C P Alliance
#146 - 2014-06-27 11:34:10 UTC
CCP Lebowski wrote:
vynok wrote:
CCP Goliath wrote:

I helped by drinking copiously and offering moral support, a key part of the brewing process! Big smile

It's a key role that has to be filled in any Brewday.

Graphical QA Analyst | EVE Quality Assurance | Team TriLambda

Dally Lama
Doomheim
#147 - 2014-06-27 16:45:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Dally Lama
I personally enjoy a fat line of blow followed by a thickly packed bowl of marijuana.

Just me maybe.

EDIT: What!!! Why on earth is the proper term for weed filtered? Don't get me wrong, I usually like my weed filtered, just not like this!
CCP Sledgehammer
C C P
C C P Alliance
#148 - 2014-06-27 16:46:17 UTC
Dally Lama wrote:
I personally enjoy a fat line of blow followed by a thickly packed bowl of *********.

Just me maybe.

Yeah but imagine those things with a nice beer to wash them down. You're welcome Lol

CCP Goliath
C C P
C C P Alliance
#149 - 2014-07-01 12:43:39 UTC
CCP Goliath wrote:

Update: 2 days ago, while on a Skype call with the missus (I'm away on business), we discovered that the airlock had blown off! Obviously I did what any reasonable, calm person would do, and felt my heart sink as I knew that my first beer was a total writeoff. Then I did what any actually reasonable, calm person would do, called Sledgehammer, and learned that it was actually probably fine. I remotely guided my better half through the process of sanitising, filling the airlock, and reseating it, and after a quick smell test showed notes of DELICIOUS BEER AND BANANAS and absolutely no notes of horrible antiseptic odors (ironically indicating an infection), I was much happier. Getting back to Iceland on Thursday to prepare my brand new Corny keg for it (prepare = get awful "new keg smell" eradicated) and then the conditioning commences!

CCP Goliath | QA Director | EVE Illuminati | @CCP_Goliath

Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#150 - 2014-07-01 17:36:42 UTC
Dally Lama wrote:
I personally enjoy a fat line of blow followed by a thickly packed bowl of *********.

Just me maybe.

EDIT: What!!! Why on earth is the proper term for weed filtered? Don't get me wrong, I usually like my weed filtered, just not like this!

Mind if I do a J?

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Anslo
Scope Works
#151 - 2014-07-01 18:03:41 UTC
Chimay or gtfo

[center]-_For the Proveldtariat_/-[/center]

CCP Goliath
C C P
C C P Alliance
#152 - 2014-07-17 14:11:02 UTC
Hey guys, just wanted to post to say MY BEER IS READY IN 10 DAYS!!!!! (Maybehopefully)

Also posting to get Sledgehammer to give you an update on his insane brewing cadence at the moment.

CCP Sledgehammer
C C P
C C P Alliance
#153 - 2014-07-17 14:26:50 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Sledgehammer
CCP Goliath wrote:
Hey guys, just wanted to post to say MY BEER IS READY IN 10 DAYS!!!!! (Maybehopefully)

Also posting to get Sledgehammer to give you an update on his insane brewing cadence at the moment.

Not so much insane compared to some I know, but yeah, two brewdays in two days. My first stab at a Saison, which is using Wyeast 3724 - Belgian Saison. Off the top of my head it was along the lines of this:

Brewday 1:

"Getting my Sais on"
3Kg Weyermann's Pale Malt
1.5Kg Carahell
500g Wheat Malt
300g Acidulated Malt

25g East Kent Goldings for 60mins
20g Celeia (Styrian Goldings) for 20mins

Wyeast 3274

Brewday 2:

"A Hundred Texans in Space, v1.1"
4.5kg Weyermann's Pale Malt
300g Wheat Malt
600g Caraamber
300g Melanoidin
200g Acidulated Malt

20g Galaxy for 60mins
15g Galaxy for 25mins
15g Centennial for 10mins
15g Amarillo, steep for 2 mins, Aroma.

Fermentis Safale US-05

The saison stalled at 1.036 whilst fermenting at around 20ºC, since yesterday it is now in a drying room gurgling away happily at about 26ºC. Definitely the warmest ferment I've done but research indicated that this yeast loves a warm primary ferment.

Feeling pretty thirsty after writing all that :)

Post-work beer, Goliath? I have an idea for brewday 3.

CCP Sledgehammer
C C P
C C P Alliance
#154 - 2014-07-17 14:32:49 UTC
A question for the community!

Just wondering how long your average brew session lasts?

I am doing all grain brews right now and rarely clock in under 5 hours, mostly due to my crappy boiling setup.

CCP Bosun
CCP Retirement Home
#155 - 2014-07-17 14:45:12 UTC
Yo!

Just got my first bucket and brewkit today and thought I'd touch base. Holy Moley it looks like Sledgehammer knows what he's doing!

I just went with a Coopers Australian Lager kit for my first go. Will report back with results!

@itsNej

Corraidhin Farsaidh
Singularity Expedition Services
Singularity Syndicate
#156 - 2014-07-19 16:31:55 UTC
Along with Oracle DBA skills I have a degree in Chemistry...any jobs available at CCP breweries?
Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#157 - 2014-07-19 17:20:41 UTC
CCP Sledgehammer wrote:

I am doing all grain brews right now and rarely clock in under 5 hours, mostly due to my crappy boiling setup.

I'm not an expert by any stretch, but I've made a pumpkin ale with my work team the last two years and we typically go 60-90 mins adding hops about 30 minutes before we stop, then ferment for a 2-3 weeks (depending on when the bubbling from the initial fermentation peters out). Afterwards we bottle them up and keep for another week or so before serving.

5 hours just for the boiling part? Are you using a bunsen burner? Smile

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

ISD Rontea
ISD STAR
#158 - 2014-07-21 07:33:42 UTC
Russian beer:
Flower honey- 4kg
Water - 20L
Hop - 50 gramme
Barm - 100 gramme

1. Suitable container + 20 liters of water + Honey + Hop
2. Mix all
3. Action - boiling. 1 hour
4. Filtering mash
5. Solute + Barm -> Gyle (with open cap). Temperature - 18-20 C
6. Action - wait 5-6 days
7. Close cap
8. Put gyle in chill place
9. Pour it into bottles
10. Drink chilled

ISD Rontea

ISD STAR Executive

Волонтёр группы по взаимодействию с игроками

Interstellar Services Department

CCP Goliath
C C P
C C P Alliance
#159 - 2014-07-21 09:13:50 UTC
Sibyyl wrote:
CCP Sledgehammer wrote:

I'm not an expert by any stretch, but I've made a pumpkin ale with my work team the last two years and we typically go 60-90 mins adding hops about 30 minutes before we stop, then ferment for a 2-3 weeks (depending on when the bubbling from the initial fermentation peters out). Afterwards we bottle them up and keep for another week or so before serving.

5 hours just for the boiling part? Are you using a bunsen burner? Smile

He isn't just talking about the boil. I imagine he is timing beginning to end, so heating up mash water, grinding grist, mashing for an hour, lautering, which can take a really long time, measuring gravity, boil, chill, then primary fermenter, along with all the cleaning that goes with that.

Bagrat Skalski
Koinuun Kotei
#160 - 2014-07-21 09:29:06 UTC
ISD Rontea wrote:
Russian beer:
Flower honey- 4kg
Water - 20L
Hop - 50 gramme
Barm - 100 gramme

1. Suitable container + 20 liters of water + Honey + Hop
2. Mix all
3. Action - boiling. 1 hour
4. Filtering mash
5. Solute + Barm -> Gyle (with open cap). Temperature - 18-20 C
6. Action - wait 5-6 days
7. Close cap
8. Put gyle in chill place
9. Pour it into bottles
10. Drink chilled

I would rather call it russian hoppy mead. For there is not a grain of corn in there, and as honey is the base its mead technically for me.