These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Drake VS Drake Navy Issue

Author
Jered Kruger
Dash Mining Corp
#1 - 2014-07-19 18:15:09 UTC
Hello guys, I am fairly new to pvp and wanted to ask what ship would be better for solo/small gang pvp in 0.0? I know that the DNI deals less damage but has longer range in fights (Please check out my fit and tell me what I could imporve: CLICK FOR FIT).

My questions:

- What is better for solo PvP in 0.0 - D or DNI
- This point is also something I quite dont understand. I got told that the D is a ship build for the same class or higher and the DNI for same class or lower ships to fight. I don't understand how its ment to be played.

- What fit should I have on what ship related to question one? Pirate

I am quite new and I was not really active playing eve untile now cuz I had job problems. I am also saying sorry if some parts of this text were not understandable cuz of my english, I hope I write well but I can not say that since it allways looks good for me Pirate
Riot Girl
You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack
#2 - 2014-07-19 18:33:12 UTC
T1 Drake is superior because insurance is cheap and cost effective for T1 ships with T2 fittings.
Riot Girl
You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack
#3 - 2014-07-19 18:34:12 UTC
Don't expect to win any fights though.
RavenPaine
RaVeN Alliance
#4 - 2014-07-19 19:01:28 UTC
Drake is a great ship for new pilots. And I agree that the T1 version is better for most applications, until you get experienced and can make your own decision on cost vs loss issues.

Your English is fine. Don't apologize for it. Cool

Jered Kruger
Dash Mining Corp
#5 - 2014-07-19 19:33:52 UTC
RavenPaine wrote:
Drake is a great ship for new pilots. And I agree that the T1 version is better for most applications, until you get experienced and can make your own decision on cost vs loss issues.

Thank you.

I think that the 0.0 will be my ships graveyard but however I would like to know what ships I could fight with my fitting (I posted in the first post) and how is the navy issue actaully taken into fights. What use has the navy?
This is basicly a question about the all about the ship and not how I will die in space alone :P I will try to find someone hwo flies with me (corp.).

Greetings from deep space, Jered.
Hoof-Arted
State War Academy
Caldari State
#6 - 2014-07-19 20:48:00 UTC
To be honest, stick to cruisers for Null. BC's tend to be too slow and die quite easily to other ships.

The Caracal is a decent ship and cheap.
Paranoid Loyd
#7 - 2014-07-19 21:02:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Paranoid Loyd
Hoof-Arted wrote:

Dat name Lol

Are you an alt of Lee-Kee Bum?

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!

Hoof-Arted
State War Academy
Caldari State
#8 - 2014-07-19 21:50:21 UTC
Paranoid Loyd wrote:
Hoof-Arted wrote:

Dat name Lol

Are you an alt of Lee-Kee Bum?

LOL, no. But I did make it to confuse fleet...Lol
Shelom Severasse
CryoTech Manufacturing
#9 - 2014-07-20 03:41:38 UTC
Jered Kruger wrote:
Hello guys, I am fairly new to pvp and wanted to ask what ship would be better for solo/small gang pvp in 0.0? I know that the DNI deals less damage but has longer range in fights (Please check out my fit and tell me what I could imporve: CLICK FOR FIT).

My questions:

- What is better for solo PvP in 0.0 - D or DNI
- This point is also something I quite dont understand. I got told that the D is a ship build for the same class or higher and the DNI for same class or lower ships to fight. I don't understand how its ment to be played.

- What fit should I have on what ship related to question one? Pirate

I am quite new and I was not really active playing eve untile now cuz I had job problems. I am also saying sorry if some parts of this text were not understandable cuz of my english, I hope I write well but I can not say that since it allways looks good for me Pirate

fly frigs first if the bonuses on the two ships dont make sense
Zacarias Ion
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#10 - 2014-07-20 11:32:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Zacarias Ion
Drake, due to lower cost.
RavenPaine
RaVeN Alliance
#11 - 2014-07-20 22:46:15 UTC
Jered Kruger wrote:
RavenPaine wrote:

Thank you.

I think that the 0.0 will be my ships graveyard but however I would like to know what ships I could fight with my fitting (I posted in the first post) and how is the navy issue actaully taken into fights. What use has the navy?
This is basicly a question about the all about the ship and not how I will die in space alone :P I will try to find someone hwo flies with me (corp.).

Greetings from deep space, Jered.

If you PvP, no matter where you are, all your ships will die at some point. Many of them will die the first night you fly them. You just have to get used to that and move forward. That's why posters will recommend the T1 version.

In the past, Drake was known to fly at a longer range and keep out of tackle range, while other ships take on the up close stuff. It was also known for great tank, not so much DPS.
Your fit (Ham Drake) is meant for close up fighting and is not that great for solo work. Better off in a small crew of 3 or more.
It's been a couple days since I saw your fit, but I fit faction missiles in my Drakes, and one overdrive injector for speed. (sometimes 2) Some people use inertia stabilizers, but I want pure speed.

I can't really tell you what you can or can't fight. A ship is the sum of all its parts, and its pilot, and that pilots skill. Both skill points and experience.
Buy insurance, get some buddies, and go shoot stuff :) That's how you'll learn.
elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#12 - 2014-07-21 02:26:42 UTC
RavenPaine wrote:

Quoted for truth and if you wait until wednesday, Pend Insurance will cover even 95% of your boats pricetag instead of 46%.

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

Sara Sturnels
Doomheim
#13 - 2014-07-21 19:08:04 UTC
First off, congrats on entering the world of PvP! Welcome to the ranks.

That said, I wouldn't recommend either the Drake, Drake Navy Issue, or any battlecruiser for solo PvP, for a couple reasons.

1. WIth the warp speed changes, battlecruisers take way too long to align and warp off these days. Solo PvP is very much about getting in, doing damage, and getting out. Solo PvP is about choosing your engagement, separating enemies from their fleet, and picking and choosing when to attack. You need speed and agility to do that.
  2. The best advice I ever received about solo PvP is, "It's all about 'gank'. The only thing a strong tank enables is for you to die slowly." Ultimately, you need to be able to inflict maximum damage as quickly as possible. A Drake is great for having a good tank, but it's dps is quite low in the grand scheme of things. I'd strongly caution against a Drake for solo PvP.
  3. The Drake relies on missiles. On the surface, missiles seem like a great weapon system, but in practice, they don't really work well. The DPS is usually lower than you could get out of hybrid weapons' blasters (the Caldari's short-range gun option), and if you're solo PvPing, the range of missiles isn't as important, since you should be dictating the engagement range and times when you fight.

For Caldari, I'd strongly recommend training to a Harpy. You can use your Drake's shield skills for a dual medium ASB Harpy that can do serious damage, still take a beating, have maneuverability, and give you much more flexibility. Training T2 small blasters, Assault Frigates to V, and Caldari Frigate to V doesn't take that long, and it's a mean little ship.

Start small, and work your way up as your bankroll and skill permit.
Jamwara DelCalicoe Ashley
New Eden Tech Support
#14 - 2014-07-21 19:50:08 UTC
elitatwo wrote:
RavenPaine wrote:

Quoted for truth and if you wait until wednesday, Pend Insurance will cover even 95% of your boats pricetag instead of 46%.

I didn't see any insurance changes in the dev notes - did I misunderstand you? From what I gather compensation is going when Crius drops?
Jeanne-Luise Argenau
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#15 - 2014-07-23 16:29:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Jeanne-Luise Argenau
Jamwara DelCalicoe Ashley wrote:
elitatwo wrote:
RavenPaine wrote:

I didn't see any insurance changes in the dev notes - did I misunderstand you? From what I gather compensation is going when Crius drops?

nope, ccp decided to get rid of the extra mats in the build cost, means the extra mats will be added to the normal mats. This means again that the insurance will now calculate these materials which means t1 subcap hulls will now be covered pretty much again. But as Faction are only that expansive thx to bpc cost they wont be covered.