These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

List of abbreviations

First post
Author
wouroo
Aideron Robotics
Aideron Robotics.
#1 - 2014-07-17 02:51:07 UTC
In my month or so of playing eve, I have noticed there are tons of acronyms for virtually everything. I have looked through the forums here and noticed the lack of explanation or lists, as such, I would like to start one. This will be a handy reference for noobs like me instead of constantly bothering other players with "whats a HIC again?" please post only 1 abbreviation and explanation per line I.E

AB: Afterburner
Domi: Dominix, Gallente ship
NightCrawler 85
Phoibe Enterprises
#2 - 2014-07-17 02:59:59 UTC
Even tho its not on the EVE forums it self EVE Uni has it covered
wouroo
Aideron Robotics
Aideron Robotics.
#3 - 2014-07-17 03:24:21 UTC
Thanks for the link. hopefully any other noobs also confused about such matters can get up to speed quicker now
Xercodo
Cruor Angelicus
#4 - 2014-07-17 03:24:51 UTC
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#5 - 2014-07-17 06:01:00 UTC
I feel your pain, wouroo.

I've been playing for a lot of years and I still run across acronyms that I have no idea what they mean.

Mr Epeen Cool
Luwc
State War Academy
Caldari State
#6 - 2014-07-17 06:23:04 UTC
Scrublord

somebody who is too lazy to look stuff up himself

http://hugelolcdn.com/i/267520.gif

erg cz
Blood Blind
Short Bus Syndicate
#7 - 2014-07-17 07:20:41 UTC
NightCrawler 85 wrote:
Even tho its not on the EVE forums it self EVE Uni has it covered

AAR also means "ancilary armor repairer". Fitting abbreviations are not covered in Uni's Eve lexicon.
Rose of Shadow
Deep Lovin
#8 - 2014-07-17 07:31:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Rose of Shadow
Luwc wrote:
Scrublord

He looked through the forums and is even suggesting to put effort into creating a list.
wouroo wrote:
I have looked through the forums here and noticed the lack of explanation or lists, as such, I would like to start one.

I think you misinterpreted "Scrublord" as in someone who doesn't read the OP well enough.

On Topic:
I also struggle with a lot of abbreviations but I usually just ask or use that EVE Uni list :)
Yarda Black
The Black Redemption
#9 - 2014-07-17 07:47:05 UTC
Keep in mind that these terms may just appear out of nowhere as well. I took a 1 year break and was suddenly confronted with the question "to make a ping" for the fleet. If they would have called it a "bounce" I would have moved. Now I had to confess a lack of knowledge :(
Since you can make pings on places you would not consider bouncable, I'd say it was a good thing I asked.

So general advice: Keep doing what you do now, which is asking people.
J'Poll
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#10 - 2014-07-17 08:04:06 UTC
Hmz. Glossary on EVE wiki is quite long with a lot of abbreviations on them (mossing some though because nobody likes to keep the wiki up to date)

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Luwc
State War Academy
Caldari State
#11 - 2014-07-17 13:49:51 UTC
Rose of Shadow wrote:
Luwc wrote:
Scrublord

He looked through the forums and is even suggesting to put effort into creating a list.
wouroo wrote:
I have looked through the forums here and noticed the lack of explanation or lists, as such, I would like to start one.

I think you misinterpreted "Scrublord" as in someone who doesn't read the OP well enough.

On Topic:
I also struggle with a lot of abbreviations but I usually just ask or use that EVE Uni list :)

Publord : Some pubby that replies to forum trolls

http://hugelolcdn.com/i/267520.gif

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#12 - 2014-07-17 15:18:52 UTC
Ian Morbius
Potomac Greeting Card Company
#13 - 2014-07-17 19:39:53 UTC
Yeah, you're probably not going to get many EVE:Online terms here.... www.acronymfinder.com

Been to a few association meets that between presentations we have played, "Guess That Acronym. "

Ref:
The Use of Acronyms in Academic Writing
Nalelmir Ahashion
Industrial Management and Engineering
Mouth Trumpet Cavalry
#14 - 2014-07-17 19:56:51 UTC
Subira Hakuli
Redemption Road
Affirmative.
#15 - 2014-07-18 03:09:10 UTC
Great thread! As a fellow new player I also find myself asking what acronyms stand for all the time, especially when google is being unhelpful.

Thanks for the links too guys :)
wouroo
Aideron Robotics
Aideron Robotics.
#16 - 2014-07-18 07:17:23 UTC
even though it is not entirely up to date, the UNI wiki is the easiest to reference and is sufficiently complete. I think the most helpful terms I've needed to learn applied mostly to fitting ships.

reps: active healing modules for shields, armor or hull.
neuts: capacitor neutralizers. not sure if energy vampires are included but they are active modules that drain enemy capacitor.

Yarda Black wrote:
Keep in mind that these terms may just appear out of nowhere as well. I took a 1 year break and was suddenly confronted with the question "to make a ping" for the fleet. If they would have called it a "bounce" I would have moved. Now I had to confess a lack of knowledge :(
Since you can make pings on places you would not consider bouncable, I'd say it was a good thing I asked.

So general advice: Keep doing what you do now, which is asking people.

not sure what a ping or a bounce is but that just illustrates the need for an up to date list. just like the rest of eve, the abbreviations change sometimes too.
Rose of Shadow
Deep Lovin
#17 - 2014-07-18 08:25:19 UTC
wouroo wrote:
neuts: capacitor neutralizers. not sure if energy vampires are included but they are active modules that drain enemy capacitor.

Energy vampires are included.
Ka'Narlist
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#18 - 2014-07-18 08:44:27 UTC
Reminds me of a conversion I once had with a work mate who was new to eve
He: What the hell is a AHAC?
Me: An armor HAC
He: And what is a HAC?
Me: A heavy AC
He: **** you
Big smile
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#19 - 2014-07-18 11:29:12 UTC
I've kinda been thinking about an urban dictionary style site.

Just not sure if it's worth it.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Bloody Slave
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#20 - 2014-07-18 20:29:10 UTC
And the best of them all, IMO:

PWNAGE!

Bear

If your balls are hurt and bleeding don't sit in a pool full of piranhas (note to myself: don't complain in GD)

12Next page