These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

Question about RMT

First post
Author
Grobalobobob Bob
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#1 - 2014-07-16 11:32:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Grobalobobob Bob
So if I gave my 100m SP eve character to my plumber for installing a basin and taps, would that be against the EULA?

Technically it's RMT, yet, would CCP really ban the account because of a basin, pair of taps and some grouting?

...just curious...
Chribba
Otherworld Enterprises
Otherworld Empire
#2 - 2014-07-16 11:34:03 UTC
If it's technically RMT, what makes you think it's ok?

★★★ Secure 3rd party service ★★★

Visit my in-game channel 'Holy Veldspar'

Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar

dustonio
CBs Invasion Kills
#3 - 2014-07-16 11:34:40 UTC  |  Edited by: dustonio
Most Likely. The reason for this is that those taps and that grouting cost real-world moolah... any transfer of EVE characters must be done for isk and isk only.

EDIT: Chribba beat me. I feel sad inside now :P
2nd EDIT: also, accounts are non-transferable as well... you would have to transfer the toon to his account, not give him yours.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#4 - 2014-07-16 11:35:28 UTC
Roll🔫
Lachra
Lachra Corporation
#5 - 2014-07-16 11:38:03 UTC
Well, in my little world RMT relates to paying money for unfair advantage in-game either for ISK / assets. Why would CCP care who logs in behind the keyboard if the mechanics of the game are unaffected. That's like saying if my father sat behind the keyboard whilst I was playing EVE and I went to get a cup o' tea, I'm eligible for the banhammer. Thanks dad...
Christina Project
Screaming Head in a Box.
#6 - 2014-07-16 11:38:18 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Roll🔫

Lol that handgun.
Nice.

[i]"Don't look into another human's bowl to see how much he has ... ... look into his bowl to see if he has enough !" - Sol[/i]

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#7 - 2014-07-16 11:39:09 UTC
I think that even bringing this up on the forums stands a fair chance of putting you under a microscope that you won't like.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Christina Project
Screaming Head in a Box.
#8 - 2014-07-16 11:39:21 UTC
Lachra wrote:
Well, in my little world RMT relates to paying money for unfair advantage in-game either for ISK / assets. Why would CCP care who logs in behind the keyboard if the mechanics of the game are unaffected. That's like saying if my father sat behind the keyboard whilst I was playing EVE and I went to get a cup o' tea, I'm eligible for the banhammer. Thanks dad...

Why don't you adjust your little bubble to actually mirror reality?

[i]"Don't look into another human's bowl to see how much he has ... ... look into his bowl to see if he has enough !" - Sol[/i]

Blobskillz McBlub
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2014-07-16 11:39:59 UTC
Grobalobobob Bob wrote:
So if I gave my 100m SP eve character to my plumber for installing a basin and taps, would that be against the EULA?

Technically it's RMT, yet, would CCP really ban the account because of a basin, pair of taps and some grouting?

...just curious...

well and now CCP has your IP adress and will swiftly ban the account
dustonio
CBs Invasion Kills
#10 - 2014-07-16 11:41:51 UTC
Lachra wrote:

Actually the two situations are completely different. RMT involves one person selling an in-game item (yes, characters can be considered an item or asset) for something of real world value. You letting your dad play on your account (provided you logged yourself in and he doesn't know the password) is not a bannable offense nor would CCP know that you had done so. With transferring ownership of a character without posting in the character bazaar AND no trace of isk transfer between the account, they have to assume RMT and thus ban the accounts in question.
Ria Nieyli
Nieyli Enterprises
SL33PERS
#11 - 2014-07-16 11:42:01 UTC
Grobalobobob Bob wrote:

...just curious...

Is the plumber your identical twin?
dustonio
CBs Invasion Kills
#12 - 2014-07-16 11:43:22 UTC
Ria Nieyli wrote:
Grobalobobob Bob wrote:

...just curious...

Do i want to know where this is leading?
Grobalobobob Bob
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#13 - 2014-07-16 11:44:14 UTC
Blobskillz McBlub wrote:
Grobalobobob Bob wrote:

...just curious...

I gave my plumber the laptop for the ensuite upstairs!

Dont know why.. the question popped into my head. I just figured RMT was mining tech goo for a year and selling it all for CASH. I dont know if RMT encompass intellectual property or a favour.

I gave my Paladin to my friend for shouting dinner for me and the missus at a west end restaurant.. Sounds absurd that this could be against the EULA... yet technically it is...
Lachra
Lachra Corporation
#14 - 2014-07-16 11:45:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Lachra
dustonio wrote:
With transferring ownership of a character without posting in the character bazaar AND no trace of isk transfer between the account, they have to assume RMT and thus ban the accounts in question.

How would they know that the account has been transferred, however? if it was my job to see if characters are being subject to RMT, what would be the identifying factors if there was nothing on record? I have no idea who's behind the keyboard at a given moment.

Disclaimer: I have never conducted RMT, nor have any interest in transferring my account.
dustonio
CBs Invasion Kills
#15 - 2014-07-16 11:46:28 UTC  |  Edited by: dustonio
Grobalobobob Bob wrote:
Blobskillz McBlub wrote:
Grobalobobob Bob wrote:

...just curious...

I gave my plumber the laptop for the ensuite upstairs!

Dont know why.. the question popped into my head. I just figured RMT was mining tech goo for a year and selling it all for CASH. I dont know if RMT encompass intellectual property or a favour.

I gave my Paladin to my friend for shouting dinner for me and the missus at a west end restaurant.. Sounds absurd that this could be against the EULA... yet technically it is...

It's not absurd. In-game assets (which include characters) MUST be sold for ISK ONLY! They can never have a real world equivalent in exchange for them. Even with plex, once you buy it, you can't sell it for real money.

Lachra wrote:
dustonio wrote:
With transferring ownership of a character without posting in the character bazaar AND no trace of isk transfer between the account, they have to assume RMT and thus ban the accounts in question.

How would they know that the account has been transferred, however? if it was my job to see if characters are being subject to RMT, what would be the identifying factors if there was nothing on record? I have no idea who's behind the keyboard at a given moment.

In reply to your question, they would know simply by the different IP address as well as the fact that it's been proven that certain system data relating to your network card and setup is sent to CCP. One such piece of info is the MAC Address or Physical Hardware address of your network card. Say for example you only logged in from one public ip with 5 different mac addresses or rather computers. Then you all of a sudden change IPs AND only login from a completely different mac address. They can then assume if none of the other mac addresses login for a certain length of time, that the account was transferred in violation of the EULA.
Emma Muutaras
State War Academy
Caldari State
#16 - 2014-07-16 11:48:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Emma Muutaras
is it RMT yes

is there a nifty way round it via the character bazaar again the answer is yes

still it is against the rules but its kinda unenforceable the unfortunate truth with the character bazaar you could in theory sell your toon for real life $$$ and then transfer the toon to there account via the character bazaar and everything looks ligit

after all its YOU the player that decides how much isk you value your toon at
Ria Nieyli
Nieyli Enterprises
SL33PERS
#17 - 2014-07-16 11:52:57 UTC
dustonio wrote:
Ria Nieyli wrote:
Grobalobobob Bob wrote:

...just curious...

Do i want to know where this is leading?

Depends if you like pulp fiction...
Victor Andall
#18 - 2014-07-16 11:55:42 UTC
If I make a stupid thread that is obviously a blatant infringement of the rules, is it technically trolling?

I just undocked for the first time and someone challenged me to a duel. Wat do?

19.08.2014 - Dinsdale gets slammed by CCP Falcon. Never forget.

Grobalobobob Bob
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#19 - 2014-07-16 11:59:41 UTC
I know these questions are somewhat lame, but, i'm still very curious.

Do CCP actively police this though?

How can they prove that when I handed my friend a Moros, it was actually to pay him back for a party he forked out for.

There has to be a line somewhere.. paladin, moros, aeon ? Titan ? at what point would CCP start to frown.. my guess is small time fry like this is irrelevant.. but if you were selling trillions of isk / mucho real value $$$ RMTing then the banhammer would fall on your head like Thors Hammer.

Serene Repose
#20 - 2014-07-16 12:08:37 UTC
No. It would not. Essentially, as far as the internet is concerned, you gave this guy your character. It doesn't matter if he's a plumber. It doesn't matter if he was at your house. It's irrelevant. It's up to him totally if he wants to accept money, or something else for his services.

In your case no money was involved. That being the case, no money was involved. There are those that would (have) argue the supplies used cost money, and the plumbers time is worth money. These things are the plumber's concern, not yours. He's free to spend his money and time any way he sees fit (as long as its legal). If he wishes to transact with you in a way where no money is involved, he's free to do so.

Since no money was involved...the "M" in RMT doesn't exist. Ipso facto, wtf are all these people going on about? Believe me, if someone tried to pursue this in court claiming RMT occurred they would be laughed out by the judge who would (naturally) refuse to hear the case, and would investigate if the pursuant attorney really did attend law school, rather than get his degree by mailing in a cereal box top and waiting six to ten weeks.

We must accommodate the idiocracy.

123Next page