These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Market Discussions

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

PLEX nearing 800m--thoughts?

First post
Author
Orion Widowmaker
Unknown Crusade
#121 - 2014-07-13 17:30:49 UTC
According to my Aztec calendar, we are entering a Quetzalcoatl period so in order for this to be real we are going to need to sacrifice a goat.
Obunagawe
#122 - 2014-07-13 17:43:40 UTC
Nihi Li'aldoko wrote:
Its not the 500m+ its the 10m margin. Flipping battleships nets roughly the same margin and are sub-200m.

It's not the turnover p/u, it's the daily traded volume.

Volume x Margin / Competition = Goodness to Trade Index
Kuri Kurvora
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#123 - 2014-07-13 20:58:10 UTC
Obunagawe wrote:
Nihi Li'aldoko wrote:
Its not the 500m+ its the 10m margin. Flipping battleships nets roughly the same margin and are sub-200m.

It's not the turnover p/u, it's the daily traded volume.

Volume x Margin / Competition = Goodness to Trade Index

Figuring out the third data sometimes not so easy.
Gavin Dax
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#124 - 2014-07-14 01:08:08 UTC
Here's my theory, although I don't know if it's right.

If you look at the amount of PLEX that's sold in-game on a daily basis, that number is pretty much on par with, if not lower than, what it was one year ago. This means that the demand for PLEX is not really increasing. Thus, for prices to rise, supply must be going down.

Why is supply going down? IDK. Could be speculation (after buying PLEX to sell in-game, people instead hold onto it thinking the price will continue to rise... forming somewhat of a bubble). It could also be that less people are buying PLEX for real money at the moment - either because less people play EVE at this time of year, or simply there is less reason/incentive to buy PLEX to sell in-game (ISK is easier to make, things in game cost less so you need to buy less PLEX to have what you want... e.g. look how much a vindi or mach has dropped in price).

My prediction is that after the new industry changes, as things generally get more expensive, people will feel more of a need to buy PLEX to sell in-game. This would in turn increase the supply, and cause the price to drop. It may also cause panic selling and crash the bubble.

Just my thoughts/predictions. Probably wrong though.
Ria Nieyli
Nieyli Enterprises
SL33PERS
#125 - 2014-07-14 09:41:06 UTC
Sounds about right. Asides from the Power of two offers every now and again that cause spikes, most people that consume plex are already established in the game, so the variation there should be minimal.
Cidanel Afuran
Grant Village
#126 - 2014-07-14 20:10:56 UTC
I am asking this honestly as someone still pretty new to the game. I am just under 3m skillpoints, have moved to null and finally see how much ISK I can make per hour. That being said, I am not sure why anyone would ever grind for ISK to buy plex in game. The math doesn't add up to me. I consider 'grinding' anything I don't enjoy actively doing. Ratting/mining/etc. is a grind, but so is working landscaping IRL on a saturday.

If I grind in game, I can earn a plex in about 10 hours of work (around 70 mil ISK/hour).

If I take a job doing landscaping for a neighbor, I can earn a plex in about two hours work ($10/hour).

Why would I ever grind in game if I can earn my monthly plex in a fraction of the time outside the game? It isn't like anyone actually enjoys hours of grinding out the ISK needed to pay for it, do they?
flakeys
Doomheim
#127 - 2014-07-14 20:26:40 UTC
Orion Widowmaker wrote:
According to my Aztec calendar, we are entering a Quetzalcoatl period so in order for this to be real we are going to need to sacrifice a goat.

I'll be right back with me wife .....

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#128 - 2014-07-14 23:41:18 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
Orion Widowmaker wrote:
The only one sacrificing goats on this forum is me. So please refrain from doing it yourself as that may lead to a shortage in goats the forum gods would not be happy about...

That said, I have removed some rule breaking posts and those quoting them.
The Rules:
4. Personal attacks are prohibited.

Commonly known as flaming, personal attacks are posts that are designed to personally berate or insult another forum user. Posts of this nature are not beneficial to the community spirit that CCP promote and as such they will not be tolerated.

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Kuri Kurvora
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#129 - 2014-07-14 23:44:14 UTC
ISD Ezwal wrote:
Orion Widowmaker wrote:
The only one sacrificing goats on this forum is me. So please refrain from doing it yourself as that may lead to a shortage in goats the forum gods would not be happy about...

The Rules:

Commonly known as flaming, personal attacks are posts that are designed to personally berate or insult another forum user. Posts of this nature are not beneficial to the community spirit that CCP promote and as such they will not be tolerated.

Best post ever.
Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#130 - 2014-07-15 01:30:13 UTC
ISD Ezwal wrote:
Orion Widowmaker wrote:

The Rules:

Please provide video evidence of your goat disposal services.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

ISD Dorrim Barstorlode
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#131 - 2014-07-15 01:39:24 UTC
Sabriz Adoudel wrote:
ISD Ezwal wrote:
Orion Widowmaker wrote:

The Rules:

Please provide video evidence of your goat disposal services.

That's really not something you want to see. I still have nightmares.

ISD Dorrim Barstorlode

Senior Lead

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

enterprisePSI
#132 - 2014-07-15 06:03:56 UTC
is the goat sacrificial podium gonna need a medium or a low slot?

The tears of the many, outweigh the tears of the few. Or the one. enterprise-psi©

Zaxix
State War Academy
Caldari State
#133 - 2014-07-15 06:16:48 UTC
enterprisePSI wrote:

Sacrificial podiums are, quite obviously, high slots.

Bokononist

Elizabeth Norn
Nornir Research
Nornir Empire
#134 - 2014-07-15 07:03:08 UTC
Zaxix wrote:
enterprisePSI wrote:

Sacrificial podiums are, quite obviously, high slots.

What about underground ones?
Lone Gunman
Forhotea Corporation
#135 - 2014-07-15 07:12:52 UTC
Well if people would stop buying a PLEX for 7.9B isk, like someone did today in JITA maybe the price would go down. That transaction is gonna #&%@ up the average.
Elizabeth Norn
Nornir Research
Nornir Empire
#136 - 2014-07-15 07:20:28 UTC
Extreme outliers get removed, it'll be gone by next downtime.
Lone Gunman
Forhotea Corporation
#137 - 2014-07-15 13:25:21 UTC
Elizabeth Norn wrote:
Extreme outliers get removed, it'll be gone by next downtime.

Nope still there.
Ocih
Space Mermaids
#138 - 2014-07-15 14:25:57 UTC
Lone Gunman wrote:
Well if people would stop buying a PLEX for 7.9B isk, like someone did today in JITA maybe the price would go down. That transaction is gonna #&%@ up the average.

Can you say,
Manipulation?
GavinGoodrich
Perkone
Caldari State
#139 - 2014-07-15 15:07:08 UTC
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
Creamdream wrote:
In less than 24 hours, the price has fallen by as much as 60 million ISK and is now down to 780mil ISK in Dodixie.

Do you guys think this is CCP intervening?

No, please read my post above, it describes what *should* happen if markets in EvE are still "realistic".

Price is nearing a strong resistance (a trend line). If it closes below by end of July then price can follow its natural course and create a "breath" swing.

Long term we are in a multi-year (rare) pattern called "Gramophone", with the obvious future consequences on price. IF EvE markets are still "realistic" that is. Time will tell.

I bought some plexes and would up selling 'em to break even 'cause stuff like this ^^^ I simply don't understand, and got out while I had the same money I still had.

Thanks for the insights from everybody so far. Surprised this got to 7 pages, I'm just generally curious about this part of the market in general.

Haaaaaalp my head's on fire

Ischie
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#140 - 2014-07-15 15:08:49 UTC
Plex is super expensive at the moment. For reasons economist would love to discuss over tea and coffee, ship prices are falling; not just the new Mordu legion ships, i mean other pirate ships such as machs and all.

Either people are having to dish out the extra isk for more expensive plex or peeps arent playing and demand has fallen; both or neither.

Lower ship prices make me happy though.