These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Science & Industry

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

PI taxes

Author
Gor Yo
Taxes Shmuckses
#1 - 2014-07-14 11:09:46 UTC
So I finally decided to do PI on my alt as well, and I noticed a difference in customs office taxes for my main and alt.
If I look at the same planet, my main has 12% tax, while my alt has 15% tax. Why??
There are 2 differences between the characters. I have customs code expertise on my main. I trained it before reading that it only affects NPC taxes, not InterBus ones, so that shouldnt matter since the planet is in highsec? I dont want to train the skill on my main to find out that it is useless.
Also my main is still in the noob starting NPC corporation, while my alt isnt. Could that affect the taxes?

Another related question is launchpad vs CC taxes. I read in several places that it is 2/3 less to to do export through launchpad than CC. So when I dont have anything on the planet and look at the customs office, does tell me the tax rate for a launchpad or for CC?
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#2 - 2014-07-14 12:11:57 UTC
Player owned POCO's can have taxes set by their owners from 0% to 100%.

https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/POCO

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Alexander Eisenhower
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2014-07-14 13:21:42 UTC
Good topic, I have no idea but I am wandering if it is worth setting out PI in HiSec at all.
Elena Thiesant
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2014-07-14 13:52:08 UTC
Gor Yo wrote:
I have customs code expertise on my main.

There's your reason right there. You've trained a skill which reduces the NPC component of taxes on a player-owned customs office. Therefore your tax is lower.
Gor Yo
Taxes Shmuckses
#5 - 2014-07-14 14:02:43 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Player owned POCO's can have taxes set by their owners from 0% to 100%.

https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/POCO

As I mentioned, it is the SAME planet's customs office for 2 different characters showing different taxes! So whatever the player's tax rate is should apply equally to either character?

Damn, I confused even more now... I thought that highsec CO's are owned by InterBus and protected by Concord. Now it looks like they arent actually protected by Concord and can be destroyed by players.
So the 15% tax is 10% NPC tax plus 5% player tax? And since I have tax code expertise at 3, it reduced the NPC tax by 30%, making it 7%.

I guess I will take a closer look at the CO when I am in game tonight...
Elena Thiesant
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2014-07-14 14:04:26 UTC
Gor Yo wrote:

So the 15% tax is 10% NPC tax plus 5% player tax? And since I have tax code expertise at 3, it reduced the NPC tax by 30%, making it 7%.

Exactly.
Gor Yo
Taxes Shmuckses
#7 - 2014-07-14 14:04:29 UTC
Elena Thiesant wrote:
Gor Yo wrote:
I have customs code expertise on my main.

There's your reason right there. You've trained a skill which reduces the NPC component of taxes on a player-owned customs office. Therefore your tax is lower.

lol, you replied when I was typing my reply.

The skill description says that it doesnt affect Interbus owned CO's and I assumed that all CO's in highsec are Interbus owned.
Bronson Hughes
The Knights of the Blessed Mother of Acceleration
#8 - 2014-07-14 14:05:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Bronson Hughes
Are your main and alt in different corporations, and do said corporations have any standings with the POCO owner? I believe that POCO owners can set tax rates based on corporate standings.

EDIT: Or, it's just the customs expertise skill as mentioned above.

Relatively Notorious By Association

My Many Misadventures

I predicted FAUXs

Gulch P13
Perkone
Caldari State
#9 - 2014-07-15 16:24:28 UTC
Gor Yo wrote:

The skill description says that it doesnt affect Interbus owned CO's and I assumed that all CO's in highsec are Interbus owned.

Show info on the POCO and it will tell you who owns it and the tax %.
Starden Arnolles
Wormlife Freeport Operations
Wormlife
#10 - 2014-07-15 21:14:35 UTC
In High Sec the NPC tax is 10%, and whoever has taken over the customs office adds their own tax to it.

The Customs Code Expertise skill reduces the NPC component of the total tax by 10% per level trained.
Ray Kyonhe
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2014-07-16 16:05:38 UTC
I could use some advice on PI taxes too. I already know that extract resources on HS planet is no go, so decided to try some production planet setups. I did several calculations, assuming Custom Code expertise of IV (don't want to waste time on V) and reasonble tax of POCO owner of 5% (as it seems in HS all POCOs already owned by players), so cumulative tax of 11%
Good I checked were: Robotics(p3) and Synthetic synapthes (p3) and Supertensile Plastics (p2). In each cases I assumed I will buy respective components from Jita market with buy orders slightly better than average (don't want to waste time on 0,001isk games); so for p3 I will buy p2, and for p2 - p1.
Long story short, I found out that I hardly can squezee 500-600m of profit per month form my 5 planets this way, and only if tax is 5%! For 11% tax profit goes down even more. And in case of Robotics - I can't even produce them with profits at all.
I saw some posts in this thread of year 2013 where people claimed they earn billion and more doing the same thing on 6 planets in HS. I can't even imagine how they managed to reach such level of profits.

Survey/voting system inbuilt to the game client: link_Reforming corp and taxation system: link_New PvE content (reward collective gameplay): link

Gor Yo
Taxes Shmuckses
#12 - 2014-07-18 12:17:40 UTC
Prices might have been different back them. I mean look at the values used for taxation - they use a P4 price of 1200000 ISK to calculate the import/export taxes for all P4 products, while currently only 1 P4 product is above that price, with others below and some as much as half that price.
Also, I doubt he meant just 1 character. Most probably he was extracting P0 on his alts, converting it to P1 or P2 and handing it over to his main to make the final product.
Claudius Dethahal
Amarrians for Tax Reform-Kador
#13 - 2014-07-18 18:43:55 UTC
Ray Kyonhe wrote:
I could use some advice on PI taxes too. I already know that extract resources on HS planet is no go, so decided to try some production planet setups. I did several calculations, assuming Custom Code expertise of IV (don't want to waste time on V) and reasonble tax of POCO owner of 5% (as it seems in HS all POCOs already owned by players), so cumulative tax of 11%
Good I checked were: Robotics(p3) and Synthetic synapthes (p3) and Supertensile Plastics (p2). In each cases I assumed I will buy respective components from Jita market with buy orders slightly better than average (don't want to waste time on 0,001isk games); so for p3 I will buy p2, and for p2 - p1.
Long story short, I found out that I hardly can squezee 500-600m of profit per month form my 5 planets this way, and only if tax is 5%! For 11% tax profit goes down even more. And in case of Robotics - I can't even produce them with profits at all.
I saw some posts in this thread of year 2013 where people claimed they earn billion and more doing the same thing on 6 planets in HS. I can't even imagine how they managed to reach such level of profits.

The understanding I have is that the higher-end products frequently cost less than their inputs because they represent a reduction in volume making shipping from null/wormholes less expensive.