These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

What causes in-game "time-dilation?"

Author
Nose' Feliciano
#1 - 2014-07-12 19:25:03 UTC
I thought is was due to having thousands of people in a system straining the server, but ive beent he only one in some systems and there is a 75% time-dilation in effect.

What triggers this?
Ramona McCandless
The McCandless Clan
#2 - 2014-07-12 19:26:28 UTC
Nose' Feliciano wrote:
I thought is was due to having thousands of people in a system straining the server, but ive beent he only one in some systems and there is a 75% time-dilation in effect.

What triggers this?

The Cartels and their big "Annoy Everyone For Fun" button

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Rowells
Blackwater USA Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#3 - 2014-07-12 19:28:07 UTC
Working Hamster Unions and their damn required work breaks.
DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#4 - 2014-07-12 19:29:39 UTC
Heavy load is what causes it. In the case of a system with 1 person in it having tidi it means other systems that share that systems node are drawing more load then normal. So instead of you lagging out and see a black screen tidi kicks in accross the node. Alot of systems share a node. The exception is jita which had its own node.

OMG Comet Mining idea!!! Comet Mining!

Eve For life.

Fix Lag
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2014-07-12 19:35:23 UTC
Time and space are intertwined. Space can be occupied by mass, which in turn slows down time through a convoluted series of physics mechanics that I can't be arsed to look up.

So what I'm saying is, maybe you should lose some weight.

CCP mostly sucks at their job, but Veritas is a pretty cool dude.

Iain Cariaba
#6 - 2014-07-12 19:35:34 UTC
DaReaper wrote:
Heavy load is what causes it. In the case of a system with 1 person in it having tidi it means other systems that share that systems node are drawing more load then normal. So instead of you lagging out and see a black screen tidi kicks in accross the node. Alot of systems share a node. The exception is jita which had its own node.

This is wrong. It is totally the fault of the Hamster Union working (except for their mandatory breaks) in league with the highsec gankers to make you an easier target to gank. Pirate
Belt Scout
Thread Lockaholics Anonymous
#7 - 2014-07-12 20:16:21 UTC
The servers are old enough to still have tubes in them.

One gets weak; TiDi city.

They say most of your brain shuts down on the EvE forums. All but the impatient side, and the sarcastic side. No wonder I'm still awake.

**This IS my main so STFU.

Ralph King-Griffin
Lords.Of.Midnight
The Devil's Warrior Alliance
#8 - 2014-07-12 20:35:54 UTC
Rowells wrote:
Working Hamster Unions and their damn required work breaks.

Beat me to it.
Bernie Nator
Allspark Industries
Transformographagizers
#9 - 2014-07-12 20:45:55 UTC
Wormholes.
Felicity Love
Doomheim
#10 - 2014-07-12 21:49:25 UTC
Nose' Feliciano wrote:

What triggers this?

Oh, like alot of things, the actual "TiDi" mechanism is a WIP. To be fair it's much better than it used to be, but it's still a pain in the ass whenever people like us, in the middle of nowhere, have to put up with the sloppy side effects despite being regions away from the source of the crap.

"EVE is dying." -- The Four Forum Trolls of the Apocalypse.   ( Pick four, any four. They all smell.  )

Malcolm Shinhwa
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2014-07-12 22:33:35 UTC
Belt Scout wrote:
The servers are old enough to still have tubes in them.

One gets weak; TiDi city.

Fallout: New Eden

I'm training pipboy to 5 now.

[i]"The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental[/i]."

Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2014-07-13 00:26:13 UTC
Fix Lag wrote:
Time and space are intertwined. Space can be occupied by mass, which in turn slows down time through a convoluted series of physics mechanics that I can't be arsed to look up.

So what I'm saying is, maybe you should lose some weight.

Just apply the Schwarzschild solution to the Einstein field equations.

or say ... "cos of math stuff"
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#13 - 2014-07-13 01:19:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
Dev Blog - CCP Veritas - Introducing Time Dilation (TiDi)

A single player can cause a lot of server load with just a smartbomb (affecting several others, forcing checks and updates). Every missile and drone is essentially another ship.

CONCORD spawns can add a large number of ships very quickly, and don't show in local.
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#14 - 2014-07-13 02:04:22 UTC
If this was today, it could just be the ongoing server issues and not actually a result of any player activity.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#15 - 2014-07-13 02:31:46 UTC
Nose' Feliciano wrote:

What triggers this?

If your system is on the same server node as a big fleet fight, you will have Ti-Di.

I've seen that on the Dodixie-Hek pipe sometimes. Unplanned fleet fight in deep lowsec 30j away with 500 in local, and one (and only one) of the systems on the pipe is slowed 40%.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#16 - 2014-07-13 02:49:14 UTC
Sabriz Adoudel wrote:
Nose' Feliciano wrote:

What triggers this?

If your system is on the same server node as a big fleet fight, you will have Ti-Di.

I've seen that on the Dodixie-Hek pipe sometimes. Unplanned fleet fight in deep lowsec 30j away with 500 in local, and one (and only one) of the systems on the pipe is slowed 40%.

That doesn't happen anymore.
Nodes are now contiguous.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#17 - 2014-07-13 03:50:01 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Sabriz Adoudel wrote:

That doesn't happen anymore.
Nodes are now contiguous.

Dev Blog - CCP Prism X - Building A Balanced Universe
Serene Repose
#18 - 2014-07-13 08:37:15 UTC
What time dilation....hmmm? There's no time dilation....

Is someone putting something in your tea?

hmmm....?

We must accommodate the idiocracy.