These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Why new people are critical to EvE

First post
Author
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#181 - 2014-07-11 17:54:44 UTC
Lok Chen wrote:
subscription gaming is something that will not exist much longer. Why pay for something that you can get for free?
SImple: because the freely available versions are 1) utter shyte 2) not even remotely similar 3) dead within a year.
Should anyone actually create a game like EVE that is F2P, it will inevitably have both those qualities for the simple reason that a game such as EVE can't really use any of the hooks that F2P relies on and still be the free-form, single-server sandbox it is mean to be.

Quote:
We can buy gametime for free at 600mil ingame money. For newcomers this is their target which is very very hard to achieve. So it basicly means you are stuck with paying for your gametime.

The only way eve online can survive is by letting gamers play for free and letting people pay for ingame purchases,
No, that is not the only way. Another way is to let people pay a fixed sum every month and thus gain access to every part of the game – no artificial gating off content; no artificial restriction on activities; no artificial hook to make you pay more than is actually necessary. Just pay and be on your way. People said very similar things to what you're saying when the most popular games on the planet all came from the shareware community… guess where we are today with that?
Ria Nieyli
Nieyli Enterprises
SL33PERS
#182 - 2014-07-11 18:03:44 UTC
I think the place where a lot of new players leave the game is when they get repeatedly told that they need a score of alts. That means they either have to dole out 2-3 times the monthly subscription or consume plex to keep those alts running. One turns the game a bit too expensive for their taste, the other one makes it a tedious arrangement. Of course, there are outliers in both categories, but most people are simply disenchanted with the prospect of running what's essentially a small family business with them in all roles.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#183 - 2014-07-11 18:06:42 UTC
Gavin Dax wrote:

Sorry Jenn, but I just don't agree with you at all on this. You want to rely on people making the game what it is. I think that's true only to a point.Most people don't want another job, they want a game, and so they are lazy.

Which is EXACTLY why folks like me are opposed to the idea of 'opening up' the game to more people. 'People' are lazy, which is why the fact that there are a few games for non-lazy people is a good thing. And we want to preserve this type of game.

If you want to be lazy, there are dozens upon dozens of games that let you do that.

[/quote]
They want to control what happens and generate their own content, but they want it *to be easy* for them to generate content, and this is where CCP comes in.[/quote]

noooooo, that's where their good sense comes in and they go "man, this game is a 2nd job, I'm going back to {insert generic mmo game name here} where I can be happy. At least that's how it works for the 50% of people who try the game and (smartly) realize it's not for them.

it's how it should work for everyone, but it doesn't Some people cling to 'wow, this game COULD be awesome' as a way to justify their decision to keep playing a game they don't like and are too lazy to enjoy.

As i said in the F&I thread about new players, gamers like that are no different from real life people who get together with some "D-Bag" because "he has so much potential" (ie "I think I can fix him and when i do i will have this noce trophy to show off to my peers, proving opnce and for all that I am better than them") when they could have just gotten together with a non- "D-bag" who actually has a chance to realize his potential and got on with life lol.

Quote:

And no, I don't just want CCP to "give more encouragement" for only things that *I* think are fun. If they can make the game better for others I want that as well. I just don't want them to make the game worse for me. Many people assume you can't have one without the other though, and that's where I think people jump to conclusions and dismiss ideas too quickly.

If you think that the game needs to be 'made better', have you ever took the time to consider that maybe it's your unreasonable personal needs and expectations regarding the game that might be the problem rather than some issue with the game's state?
Gallowmere Rorschach
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#184 - 2014-07-11 18:21:29 UTC
Ria Nieyli wrote:
I think the place where a lot of new players leave the game is when they get repeatedly told that they need a score of alts. That means they either have to dole out 2-3 times the monthly subscription or consume plex to keep those alts running. One turns the game a bit too expensive for their taste, the other one makes it a tedious arrangement. Of course, there are outliers in both categories, but most people are simply disenchanted with the prospect of running what's essentially a small family business with them in all roles.

That was one area where I was fortunate in my early days. I started in the CAS noobcorp, and almost without exception, every player there expressly told me "until you absolutely feel like you need an alt, don't bother. Learn the game first."

Well...then I ended up making what would become a cap ship alt two months later anyway, because seriously, **** those jump drive/cap ship skills.
Venjenz Sake
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#185 - 2014-07-11 18:27:16 UTC
Lok Chen wrote:
subscription gaming is something that will not exist much longer. Why pay for something that you can get for free?

Like seriously in todays internet world games are provided for free, and revenue comes from ingame purchases. A model like eve has is a model which doesn't have any future. In the future games are free and survive on ingame purchases.

We can buy gametime for free at 600mil ingame money. For newcomers this is their target which is very very hard to achieve. So it basicly means you are stuck with paying for your gametime.

The only way eve online can survive is by letting gamers play for free and letting people pay for ingame purchases,. The same way it is going with mobile games. This paid model is dead and gone very soon.

What an interesting theory, given that EVE generated 15.6% higher revenue for 2013 than 2012, and has increased revenue every year for the last 6 you can view reports for?

If the subscription model is busted, then I guess the people increasing CCP's game revenue apparently never got your memo.

Also, if there is a free game out there that is EVE's equal, it's the best kept secret in the history of gaming, because neither I nor anyone I know has ever heard of such a game. There is no other game in the online space with a larger game world or more well developed, massive economy. Nothing is even close, not even remotely. And within each of ~5k systems, there's how much content? Saying someone else out there is doing the "massive" part of MMO gaming bigger than EVE is ridiculous.

Quite simply - saying that this, that, or the other is "proof" that EVE is dying is just absurd. EVE is fine, $15 per month to access a game world larger than every other online game world put together is not a "failing model" and the game doesn't need to be made easier or more attractive to new players who want WoW_in_space.
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#186 - 2014-07-11 18:33:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Mr Epeen
Lok Chen wrote:

Like seriously in todays internet world games are provided for free, and revenue comes from ingame purchases. A model like eve has is a model which doesn't have any future. In the future games are free and survive on ingame purchases.

The only way eve online can survive is by letting gamers play for free and letting people pay for ingame purchases,. The same way it is going with mobile games. This paid model is dead and gone very soon.

F2P is the Holy Grail of planned obsolescence. Take a game with enough content for six months (or less), suck the players dry with micro transactions, announce new game, repeat.

Is that what you want for EVE?

Mr Epeen Cool
Chewytowel Haklar
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#187 - 2014-07-11 18:33:31 UTC

I honestly think that nullsec is the worst idea ever. Allowing massive alliances to hold massive quantities of space opens up the opportunity for the biggest troll/grief I have ever seen. They not only block out every other player they don't approve of getting to participate in it, but they also rent some or most of these systems out to people. To that me is the biggest insult. It reeks of elitism and entitlement at the highest levels.

They have essentially got a good portion of this games income generator by the balls, and therefore as a result other players have no choice but to either kiss these alliances butt or pay up. I bet if they could do the same to high sec they definitely would, and in fact I have no doubts they'll exploit ANY chance they get.

As far as I am aware the game may have spaceships in it but the real game is in the economy. If you have trolls sabotaging that economy for their own benefit you have closed off the game to those new players who could have had access to it. You have given a majority of the wealth to these troll alliances who build their massive fleets so they can further project their disgusting elitist and closed minded practices anywhere they want.

That isn't acceptable, it is toxic and will destroy EVE eventually.
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#188 - 2014-07-11 18:37:43 UTC
Chewytowel Haklar wrote:

I honestly think that nullsec is the worst idea ever. Allowing massive alliances to hold massive quantities of space opens up the opportunity for the biggest troll/grief I have ever seen. They not only block out every other player they don't approve of getting to participate in it, but they also rent some or most of these systems out to people. To that me is the biggest insult. It reeks of elitism and entitlement at the highest levels.

They have essentially got a good portion of this games income generator by the balls, and therefore as a result other players have no choice but to either kiss these alliances butt or pay up. I bet if they could do the same to high sec they definitely would, and in fact I have no doubts they'll exploit ANY chance they get.

As far as I am aware the game may have spaceships in it but the real game is in the economy. If you have trolls sabotaging that economy for their own benefit you have closed off the game to those new players who could have had access to it. You have given a majority of the wealth to these troll alliances who build their massive fleets so they can further project their disgusting elitist and closed minded practices anywhere they want.

You dont really know what kind of game EvE is, do you?

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#189 - 2014-07-11 18:38:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Tippia wrote:
shareware community…
I miss the the old 3D Realms and ID Software shareware days.

Chewytowel Haklar wrote:

... but the real game is in the economy. If you have trolls sabotaging that economy for their own benefit you have closed off the game to those new players who could have had access to it. You have given a majority of the wealth to these troll alliances who build their massive fleets so they can further project their disgusting elitist and closed minded practices anywhere they want.

In that respect Eve is a pretty accurate reflection of the real world. Bizarrely enough that hasn't died in the ~200,000 years that man has been using and hoarding wealth at the expense of others.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Gavin Dax
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#190 - 2014-07-11 18:48:07 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:

If you think that the game needs to be 'made better', have you ever took the time to consider that maybe it's your unreasonable personal needs and expectations regarding the game that might be the problem rather than some issue with the game's state?

Of course. But I can't really answer that question, only CCP can. All I know is that a lot of people *don't* want EVE to be another job. They don't want to have to treat it like a job in order to be successful or have fun at *absolutely everything* there is in the game. E.g. they don't want to have to spend hours roaming around to find a fight, etc.

This doesn't mean you need to take away all (or any significant) job-like aspects of EVE, I don't know why you assume that it does. And many people play this game just because it's a space game where you get to fly ships around. They don't care much about the "EVE is like a second job" stuff. So I would argue that designing EVE to be a second job, and only a second job, is the wrong way to go (but again, that's up to CCP - they haven't really said what it is they intend EVE to be in this regard). I don't think players shouldn't be forced to play EVE like a job in order to be successful at the game or have fun. There should be engaging aspects that don't require this, IMO.
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#191 - 2014-07-11 18:49:49 UTC
Gavin Dax wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:

Of course. But I can't really answer that question, only CCP can. All I know is that a lot of people *don't* want EVE to be another job. They don't want to have to treat it like a job in order to be successful or have fun at *absolutely everything* there is in the game. E.g. they don't want to have to spend hours roaming around to find a fight, etc.

This doesn't mean you need to take away all (or any significant) job-like aspects of EVE, I don't know why you assume that it does. And many people play this game just because it's a space game where you get to fly ships around. They don't care much about the "EVE is like a second job" stuff. So I would argue that designing EVE to be a second job, and only a second job, is the wrong way to go (but again, that's up to CCP - they haven't really said what it is they intend EVE to be in this regard). I don't think players shouldn't be forced to play EVE like a job in order to be successful at the game or have fun. There should be engaging aspects that don't require this, IMO.

You wanna try mining in Ungoro Crater if you think industry in EvE is hard

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#192 - 2014-07-11 18:54:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Gavin Dax wrote:
Good news: they don't have to. That's just the obsolete grinding mentality from lesser games seeping into the way they approach EVE. They choose to play harder rather than smarter, and then complain that they have to put a lot of effort in to get anywhere. Any suggestion that they should just play smarter instead is met with outrage and demands that the game be changed.

The really hilarious part is that the same people then often go off to suggest changes that do turn EVE into a second job where it never was one before.
Jade Blackwind
#193 - 2014-07-11 18:54:34 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Dinosaurs don't cloak, don't pod and don't gloat in local that your mining permit has expired.

Screw Ungoro Crater.
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#194 - 2014-07-11 18:56:22 UTC
Jade Blackwind wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Dinosaurs don't cloak, don't pod and don't gloat in local that your mining permit has expired.

Screw Ungoro Crater.
If they could, they would.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#195 - 2014-07-11 18:59:10 UTC
Jade Blackwind wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:

Screw Ungoro Crater.

Who said anything about dinosaurs? Im talking about Rogues and Pallys.

They do all those things and more

Gallowmere Rorschach
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#196 - 2014-07-11 19:08:28 UTC
Jade Blackwind wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:

Screw Ungoro Crater.

I played alliance on Shattered Hand. It wasn't the dinos you had to worry about. At least you can pay CODE. to leave you alone. All you get out of the mofo camping your respawn is "bur".
Jade Blackwind
#197 - 2014-07-11 19:09:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Jade Blackwind
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Jade Blackwind wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:

Screw Ungoro Crater.

Who said anything about dinosaurs? Im talking about Rogues and Pallys.

They do all those things and more
Mining in Ungoro Crater either with the PvP switch on or on a PvP server? *shudder* That's an exotic pleasure. At least here we have such lovely things as the Venture and now the Prospect, so screw the Ungoro Crater anyway.

Industry in EVE is not really -hard- as long as you get your spreadsheets right. It's boring.

Well, then, maybe getting the spreadsheets right is the hard part, but it is also mostly boring.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#198 - 2014-07-11 19:19:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenn aSide
Gavin Dax wrote:

Then *they* don't want to play EVE, which is ok (also, EVE doesn't have to be another job, the game rewards SMART play). I like to use my hands when playing ball games, doesn't mean Soccer has to change to fit me, rather if i just HAVE to use my hands I'd choose to play Rugby or Murican football instead.

And that's why the 50% that quit EVE during trial are the smart and responsible ones, rather than try to change a game to fit them, they leave to find where THEY fit in.

Quote:

This doesn't mean you need to take away all (or any significant) job-like aspects of EVE, I don't know why you assume that it does.

I've never said anything of the sort. You are the one talking about 'job like' aspects.

Quote:

And many people play this game just because it's a space game where you get to fly ships around. They don't care much about the "EVE is like a second job" stuff. So I would argue that designing EVE to be a second job, and only a second job, is the wrong way to go (but again, that's up to CCP - they haven't really said what it is they intend EVE to be in this regard). I don't think players shouldn't be forced to play EVE like a job in order to be successful at the game or have fun. There should be engaging aspects that don't require this, IMO.

Once more, you're the one talking job like aspects, not I.

But it says a lot that you think of EVE 'content' (that demands thought and a bit of effort) as "working a 2nd job'. It's not, it's 'paying attention to your hobby'. If you want instant gratification aka "not being force to play EVE like a job to be successful", well, this is the wrong game for that. And this should stay the wrong game for that. EVE is Chess, you're saying that "for the sake of the children" it should be checkers".

On a side note, the people playing the game for the space ships are also doing it wrong. It's like being a car enthusiast who hates the idea of gangs, killings and street crime who then chooses to play Grand Theft Auto "because it has cars". If you ain't down with car jackin and hoe slappin, GTA is a really really bad choice of game no matter if it lets you drive that Lambo other games don't have.

EVE is GTA in space.
Venjenz Sake
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#199 - 2014-07-11 19:49:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Venjenz Sake
Jenn aSide wrote:
EVE is Chess, you're saying that "for the sake of the children" it should be checkers".

On a side note, the people playing the game for the space ships are also doing it wrong. It's like being a car enthusiast who hates the idea of gangs, killings and street crime who then chooses to play Grand Theft Auto "because it has cars". If you ain't down with car jackin and hoe slappin, GTA is a really really bad choice of game no matter if it lets you drive that Lambo other games don't have.

EVE is GTA in space.

/agree on both analogies.

Another good console game that I've already mentioned but is very close to the EVE mentality, is Demon/Dark Souls. From Software and Demon/Dark Souls players LOVE how hard the game is, the mechanics of invading other players' game spaces and ganking them, etc. It's freaking brutal. And they keep making the game harder. It isn't for everyone, but they sell plenty of copies. That niche of gamers exists. They like games that speak their language.

EVE does just fine. $74million in revenue in 2013 means it isn't exactly dead. If that is just straight subscriptions, it represents the 3rd largest subscriber base in the MMO genre. Not bad for a game supposedly on life support. IMHO, YMMV.
Ivan Krividus
No Time Needed No Rush
The-Expanse
#200 - 2014-07-11 21:39:04 UTC
Nexus Day wrote:
First, I will never understand why people would want people to leave their subscription game. Yet we hear the "maybe EvE isn't for you" or "go play WoW all the time". Do you understand how subscription games are funded?

That is reason number one new players are important to EvE, they pay cash. There are exceptions, but for the most part new players pay for subs. They also pay for plex as wealth accumulation in this game can be very slow at the start. There are veterans who put their money where their mouth is, but for new players it is almost a given.

Reason number two is they buy off the market. They do not come into being in a guild that produces all that their members need. Instead they grind this and that and go to the market to buy the next step in their ascension. There is a reason why items that a bitter vet wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole sell on the market.

But more importantly, imo, new players bring new ideas. In a game that bills itself as a sandbox with extremely limited content provided by the developers new ideas are the only thing that keep this game fresh. Another Hulkageddon or permit scam or insidious corporate takeover or blue donut will not keep people interested for very long. The next big thing will not come from someone with 15000 posts defending things the way they are. It will most likely come from someone just joining the game that says "what if?"

tl:dr give the kid a chance.

The fact that you are intelligent enough to write this post is why you're still here. Will new players have ideas? some will, and we encourage those people. But those who whine and complain about getting scammed/ganked/too lazy to finish tutorial are the ones we tell to go back to WoW, and any ideas that these people would bring to the table would ruin EVE in the eyes of those who truly understand it.