These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Why new people are critical to EvE

First post
Author
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#161 - 2014-07-11 05:29:38 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Chewytowel Haklar wrote:

I get that you guys are amazing at internet spaceships and advanced economics, that you have built alliances in nullsec, have had massive wars, and done many many other things and like the way you have it. I get that you like the way the game is and how unforgiving and brutal it can be. But I think you are biased by those experiences and they cloud your judgement and perhaps even go as far as to push new players away.

We all started as new players, why should the game change to cater to people who do not like the way EVE works?

More like a few people did, and then there's a bunch of blobbers.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#162 - 2014-07-11 09:33:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
Chewytowel Haklar wrote:
What if I can just join a queue and have a 1 vs 1 engagement with a prefit ship of my choosing that I can lose over and over again. Perhaps I can learn faster in such a battle arena without having to lose my ships in the process, but those provided by the queue. :D

EDIt: Oh and you cannot get podded so you can try out various implant configurations without worrying about loosing them.

Sounds like SiSi, the Test Server.

Losing capitals there is even painless.

On Tranquility, we like losses having meaning, or there would be no point. I wouldn't care about anything if it were throw-away, and everybody would be using titans.
Gostina Mishina
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#163 - 2014-07-11 13:00:01 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
We all started as new players, why should the game change to cater to people who do not like the way EVE works?

Sooner or later, the great debate always gets around to this position. I paid my dues, the vet says. Why should new players have it any easier? Well, that argument's valid up to and only to the point at which vets really would ragequit in numbers that outweigh the new subs CCP says it wants.

Have no vets read the parable of the vineyard? All the change you adapted to back in an age of climbing subscriptions was simply the price of your doing business with CCP. The company is under no obligation to continue to present exactly the same experience to today's new trial player. None. If they see a direction in which to develop that seems likely to gain and retain subs, they're likely to pursue it. This is rocket science, I guess, but of the elementary sort we should all be able to comprehend.

If it's true that subscriptions have been declining significantly, and you vets really, really want to prevent change, subscription is your prescription. Open and pay for several new accounts right away; tell CCP in the language they *must* understand that you like things as they are. Tell them to halt development of that new, mysterious space and player-owned stargates. Tell them to drop Valkyrie and Legion, and to prop up the game in which you are comfortable. Pay them not to change, or they will continue evolving to attract the players that will pay.
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#164 - 2014-07-11 13:02:19 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Gostina Mishina wrote:
We know what happens to MMOs that never change.

Name one

Also, the title of this thread is grammatically incorrect.

It should read "critical OF EvE"

Unless the OP means they are are requirement, just that it seems to be more about what newbros (or more accurately people who parrot what they have heard) think of EvE

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#165 - 2014-07-11 14:06:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Remiel Pollard
Gostina Mishina wrote:
This is rocket science, I guess, but of the elementary sort we should all be able to comprehend.

Actually, all rocket science is pretty elementary and easy to comprehend. You just need a little algebra, trig, and some ability to interpret data. Which is what CCP is doing every day, but I'm confused, are you saying a change is coming, or a change is necessary? Because if it's the former, what premise do you base this assertion on? And if it's the latter, what data do you base this assertion on?

Because CCP have tonnes of data - data on the audience they have and data on the audience they want. This kind of data tells them whether or not they're heading in the wrong or right direction.

Anyway, if you're gonna say "EVE is dying" and "EVE is losing subs" again, this has already been explained and dismissed. Stop beating dead horses or I'll call PETA.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Gostina Mishina
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#166 - 2014-07-11 14:46:00 UTC
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Actually, all rocket science is pretty elementary and easy to comprehend. You just need a little algebra, trig, and some ability to interpret data. Which is what CCP is doing every day, but I'm confused, are you saying a change is coming, or a change is necessary? Because if it's the former, what premise do you base this assertion on? And if it's the latter, what data do you base this assertion on?

Because CCP have tonnes of data - data on the audience they have and data on the audience they want. This kind of data tells them whether or not they're heading in the wrong or right direction.

Precisely. We vets know that change is inevitable. The data on which we base this assertion is the history of EVE, and the knowledge--or the hope--that CCP is awake and watching things like subs. Players being afraid of change hurts no one but themselves. The game is changing, and *if* it's true that we've entered an era of declining subs, the algebra and trig you mentioned guarantee more and bigger change.

Saying "we don't need change" would be kind of silly. Saying "there shouldn't be change" would be both silly and futile. If there weren't change, EVE really would be dying.
Venjenz Sake
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#167 - 2014-07-11 15:21:21 UTC
I played for a while back in 2005/6, then quit for a long time, and came back a year ago. I figure I am still n00b enough with EVE to weigh in for new people...sorta.

EVE doesn't need to change to cater to new players. It already has. The hisec beginner game is a lot easier now than the game I remember playing back in 2006. Just the introduction of PLEX drastically lowered the difficulty of being a new player in this game. And that is one "improvement" of hundreds that catered to the new player experience. It's a much, much more inviting game. If I was going to change any one thing to entice new players to stay longer, I'd make lowsec much more rewarding relative to highsec. Right now, with incursions, L4s/salvage in any decently fitted battleship, PLEX, the markets, etc....being set up all righteous and proper in highsec is sorta time consuming maybe, but not real hard and actually quite common.

PVP'ers already go to lowsec because that's where their game is, so my advice to keep new players longer...make PVE'ers want to go there a lot more as well. EVE has me for the long haul because it's cheap, training queues let it play itself in the background (and if I want to play other games, there's always training a 6x-8x skill to V to give me a few weeks to a month off), and I will eventually move through what I think is my proper progression of high-low-null-low, but that's me. Thing is, right now other than the curiosity of trying to duo L5s someday, I have no compelling reason to stop off in lowsec ever. Living the nullbear corporate life sounds more appealling, and lowsec seems like something to skip entirely. It shouldn't be like that.

Low should have more/better stuff than high ever sees and should be such that PVE'ers, even ones like me who hate (but appreciate the need for) gankers, have a compelling reason to go there other than just getting their gank on. The candy should be such that I will travel close to the evil witch's house to steal a piece.

That would keep new players longer imho, it would make a lot of veteran players happy I think, and with more high sec folks wandering around ganksec, it would benefit CCP with PLEX sales. Lots of ways to do it, but just make lowsec substantially more rewarding. I'll go there at some point like I said, but the average MMO "new player" needs that carrot on the stick. I think lowsec should have a bigger carrot for them.

PS - @all the people with the "EVE is dying" nonsense...no it isn't. Not by a long shot. EQ1 and AO still have loyal subscribers, and neither of them have half of EVE's subscription numbers nor CCP's PLEX sales. Of the non-WoW clone niche MMOS, EVE is kicking ass and taking names imho. People who don't play the game still talk about it. I was in a GameStop like a month ago and at some point in a Dark Souls II discussion, the manager said "well, it could be harder...it could be EVE." And we all laughed because everyone in the store knew what he was saying. Sorry, but all these years later, find any list of "greatest crimes/griefs in online gaming" and EVE has at least one of the top 5, no matter who made the list. It should stay that way, not become a place where every truly epic event has the devs shut it down.
Aralyn Cormallen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#168 - 2014-07-11 15:52:09 UTC
Gostina Mishina wrote:

Precisely. We vets know that change is inevitable. The data on which we base this assertion is the history of EVE, and the knowledge--or the hope--that CCP is awake and watching things like subs. Players being afraid of change hurts no one but themselves. The game is changing, and *if* it's true that we've entered an era of declining subs, the algebra and trig you mentioned guarantee more and bigger change.

Saying "we don't need change" would be kind of silly. Saying "there shouldn't be change" would be both silly and futile. If there weren't change, EVE really would be dying.

There is a difference between change in general, and the wrong kind of change. We all want changes to continue to improve and polish stale or neglected areas of the game. What people rightly don't want to see is vast erratic change which fundamentally alters the nature of the game, tearing away what makes EvE the niche it is, to make it more mainstream in the hope it might snare players who currently don't give it a second glance. Because doing that has been a death sentence for every game that has ever tried it. Why gamble everything, by throwing away a known sector of currently-paying players, in order to obtain an unknown sector of gamers that might, possibly, hopefully join the game to replace them... maybe (and I hate to point this out, but those of you who want a radical change but are still playing anyway fall in to the category that they don't need to change to satisfy, because you are already paying, it doesn't matter how 'satisfied' or not you are, your money is in the tin).
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#169 - 2014-07-11 15:54:16 UTC
Aralyn Cormallen wrote:

There is a difference between change in general, and the wrong kind of change. We all want changes to continue to improve and polish stale or neglected areas of the game. What people rightly don't want to see is vast erratic change which fundamentally alters the nature of the game, tearing away what makes EvE the niche it is, to make it more mainstream in the hope it might snare players who currently don't give it a second glance. Because doing that has been a death sentence for every game that has ever tried it. Why gamble everything, by throwing away a known sector of currently-paying players, in order to obtain an unknown sector of gamers that might, possibly, hopefully join the game to replace them... maybe (and I hate to point this out, but those of you who want a radical change but are still playing anyway fall in to the category that they don't need to change to satisfy, because you are already paying, it doesn't matter how 'satisfied' or not you are, your money is in the tin).

This is exactly what I mean, and have always meant.
+1

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#170 - 2014-07-11 16:16:53 UTC
Gostina Mishina wrote:
The company is under no obligation to continue to present exactly the same experience to today's new trial player. None. If they see a direction in which to develop that seems likely to gain and retain subs, they're likely to pursue it. This is rocket science, I guess, but of the elementary sort we should all be able to comprehend.

The most valuable company on Earth doesn't chase a subscriber base. Instead, they build the absolute best products they can make. Their founder believed this anyway, and their current leadership seems to believe it too.

Corporations are driven by money, but they are not all that they're driven by. CCP Falcon's responses (however brief) make it clear that CCP presently isn't make design decisions for EVE purely based on money. It seems like they really do believe their original objectives and are continuing to support them.

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Gavin Dax
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#171 - 2014-07-11 16:39:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Gavin Dax
Aralyn Cormallen wrote:

What people rightly don't want to see is vast erratic change which fundamentally alters the nature of the game, tearing away what makes EvE the niche it is, to make it more mainstream in the hope it might snare players who currently don't give it a second glance.

While I agree with you mostly, I think people tend to overreact when it comes to change. I think this in turn discourages CCP from making changes that need to be made, because they are afraid of backlash from the community, and the effects of more drastic changes aren't always known with a high degree of certainty.

CCP needs to be able to make more risky changes, and *not* be afraid to change the game in big ways, at least if we want to see EVE grow. (One way to do this is to try more drastic things out in a controlled environment within the game (i.e. on TQ) and expand the scope gradually. A shorter release cycle would actually be good for this type of thing.)

It's just I imagine most players (including myself) feel that EVE has a crazy amount of potential as an open universe space game, but a lot of it seems wasted right now. IMO, the game is *too* niche. You can make it less of a niche game without affecting those that like the game now, but many ideas of change are immediately shot down as opposed to developed further into something more reasonable (at least in the discussions on these forums). So many good ideas die out, or CCP sees the many responses of "just NO, this would destroy the game that I love" and dismisses them (just look at the HS ganking thread, maybe 10% of the posts say there is a problem maybe with some solutions, 90% is the same people repeatedly saying "no" but contributing no useful ideas).

I would love for CCP be willing to make more drastic changes, add more content generators like FW to the game (but that encourage fights in things other than frigs), make PvP in HS more fair and engaging (so gankers need to do more than mind numbingly hit F1, and carebears have more encouragement and guidance to fight back and help each other), etc. But none of these things will happen if we and CCP are all afraid of change.
Lok Chen
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#172 - 2014-07-11 16:44:58 UTC
subscription gaming is something that will not exist much longer. Why pay for something that you can get for free?

Like seriously in todays internet world games are provided for free, and revenue comes from ingame purchases. A model like eve has is a model which doesn't have any future. In the future games are free and survive on ingame purchases.

We can buy gametime for free at 600mil ingame money. For newcomers this is their target which is very very hard to achieve. So it basicly means you are stuck with paying for your gametime.

The only way eve online can survive is by letting gamers play for free and letting people pay for ingame purchases,. The same way it is going with mobile games. This paid model is dead and gone very soon.
Gallowmere Rorschach
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#173 - 2014-07-11 17:02:03 UTC
Lok Chen wrote:
subscription gaming is something that will not exist much longer. Why pay for something that you can get for free?

Like seriously in todays internet world games are provided for free, and revenue comes from ingame purchases. A model like eve has is a model which doesn't have any future. In the future games are free and survive on ingame purchases.

We can buy gametime for free at 600mil ingame money. For newcomers this is their target which is very very hard to achieve. So it basicly means you are stuck with paying for your gametime.

The only way eve online can survive is by letting gamers play for free and letting people pay for ingame purchases,. The same way it is going with mobile games. This paid model is dead and gone very soon.

First, PLEX is well over 600m right now.
Second, that's only free, if your time is worth nothing to you. No matter what you are doing, or how much you enjoy it, there is a time expense involved. It's been said that the only real cost in Eve is time. Currency is meaningless when the balance on your time account reaches zero.
Third, look at the player retention rates of most F2P games. They are generally quick cash grabs that offer fuckall for the player interested in a long term investment. However, they do cater very well to people with attention spans measurable only in microseconds, which would explain their success.
It's kind of like music: just because it's popular, doesn't mean it isn't ****.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#174 - 2014-07-11 17:05:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenn aSide
Gavin Dax wrote:
Aralyn Cormallen wrote:

What people rightly don't want to see is vast erratic change which fundamentally alters the nature of the game, tearing away what makes EvE the niche it is, to make it more mainstream in the hope it might snare players who currently don't give it a second glance.

While I agree with you mostly, I think people tend to overreact when it comes to change. I think this in turn discourages CCP from making changes that need to be made, because they are afraid of backlash from the community, and the effects of more drastic changes aren't always known with a high degree of certainty.

CCP needs to be able to make more risky changes, and *not* be afraid to change the game in big ways, at least if we want to see EVE grow. (One way to do this is to try more drastic things out in a controlled environment within the game (i.e. on TQ) and expand the scope gradually. A shorter release cycle would actually be good for this type of thing.)

It's just I imagine most players (including myself) feel that EVE has a crazy amount of potential as an open universe space game, but a lot of it seems wasted right now. IMO, the game is *too* niche. You can make it less of a niche game without affecting those that like the game now, but many ideas of change are immediately shot down as opposed to developed further into something more reasonable (at least in the discussions on these forums). So many good ideas die out, or CCP sees the many responses of "just NO, this would destroy the game that I love" and dismisses them (just look at the HS ganking thread, maybe 10% of the posts say there is a problem maybe with some solutions, 90% is the same people repeatedly saying "no" but contributing no useful ideas).

I would love for CCP be willing to make more drastic changes, add more content generators like FW to the game (but that encourage fights in things other than frigs), make PvP in HS more fair and engaging (so gankers need to do more than mind numbingly hit F1, and carebears have more encouragement and guidance to fight back and help each other), etc. But none of these things will happen if we and CCP are all afraid of change.

Ever notice how all the changes you ask for revolve around ccp making something that 'gives more encouragement' to do things YOU think are fun?

If you see people constantly saying no, it isn't because of some selfish need to preserve a way of (game) life, game realities change and we change with it.

It's because EVE ALREADY provides everything an inventive sandbox game player needs to be happy: Interesting Tools and a place to use those tools. While EVE will evolve and grow, for us contented types, all CCP really needs to do is keep fixing stuff and maybe add some new stuff every now and again, WE will figure out what to do with it.

Teircide is a great example, it's added more 'content' to the game than any 5 EVE expansions combined did.

And that's what the malcontented 'change naow' thempark crowd doesn't get. That's why you always think that we are against change when almost no one is. We are simply saying "why are you trying to change things when you haven't even exhausted all the things you can do in the current scehem yet?".

We are against diluting what is already a perfectly reasonable Sandbox (for people who don't blame Sand itself for their own lack of will, creativity , responsibility and patience) in the name of "omg more subs". The real truth is that we aren't opposed to change, we're opposed to non-sandbox players trying to F up our functional sandbox.
Kalishka Ashkulf
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#175 - 2014-07-11 17:07:20 UTC
Lok Chen wrote:

But with micro transactions comes a sense of player "class" in that those who are willing/able to purchase XYZ are at a greater advantage than those unable/does not wish to. While micro transactions seem to be the word of the day, the resentment and holes within that business model became apparent almost immediately.

If companies behaved themselves and kept micro transactions to cosmetic features only, nobody would have a problem with it. As it stands, many games that have adopted the micro transaction business model block access to various parts of the game, for the sole purpose of forcing customers to cough up the cash. Agreed, a business needs to make money, but it also needs a withstanding reputation to.

Why, thank you, Thing!

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#176 - 2014-07-11 17:15:55 UTC
Kalishka Ashkulf wrote:
Lok Chen wrote:

But with micro transactions comes a sense of player "class" in that those who are willing/able to purchase XYZ are at a greater advantage than those unable/does not wish to. While micro transactions seem to be the word of the day, the resentment and holes within that business model became apparent almost immediately.

If companies behaved themselves and kept micro transactions to cosmetic features only, nobody would have a problem with it. As it stands, many games that have adopted the micro transaction business model block access to various parts of the game, for the sole purpose of forcing customers to cough up the cash. Agreed, a business needs to make money, but it also needs a withstanding reputation to.

This is why CCP is a good company and others suck. They ask for a flat fee in return for access to their game world (and it's free expansions), unlike other companies that let you into the kiddie level of their game world then charge you out the ass for access to the actually fun parts.

Screw those other (non-ccp) guys.
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#177 - 2014-07-11 17:15:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Lok Chen wrote:

F2P generally also encompasses P2W. I'd much rather pay a subscription and play a game where all of the content and gear is available to anybody who has the gumption to grab it, than one where your real life wallet is the key to some of the content.

Gallowmere Rorschach wrote:
It's kind of like music: just because it's popular, doesn't mean it isn't ****.
Case in point : Bieber.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#178 - 2014-07-11 17:44:54 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:

Unless the OP means they are are requirement, just that it seems to be more about what newbros (or more accurately people who parrot what they have heard) think of EvE

No, the title is correct. It's just that a bunch of whiners managed to drag the whole thread off topic by assuming it said “of” rather than “to”. At best, the two are tangential since players critical to the game needs to be retained and/or nurtured, which includes listening to their grievances, but as always, there's a difference between listening to critique and finding it relevant.
Gavin Dax
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#179 - 2014-07-11 17:45:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Gavin Dax
Jenn aSide wrote:

Ever notice ho w all the changes you ask for revolve around ccp making something that 'gives more encouragement' to do things YOU think are fun?

If you see people constantly saying no, it isn't because of some selfish need to preserve a way of (game) life, game realities change and we change with it.

It's because EVE ALREADY provides everything an inventive sandbox game player needs to be happy: Interesting Tools and a place to use those tools. While EVE will evolve and grow, for us contented types, all CCP really needs to do is keep fixing stuff and maybe add some new stuff every now and again, WE will figure out what to do with it.

Teircide is a great example, it's added more 'content' to the game than any 5 EVE expansions combined did.

And that's what the malcontented 'change naow' thempark crowd doesn't get. That's why you always think that we are against change when almost no one is. We are simply saying "why are you trying to change things when you haven't even exhausted all the things you can do in the current scehem yet?".

We are against diluting what is already a perfectly reasonable Sandbox (for people who don't blame Sand itself for their own lack of will, creativity , responsibility and patience) in the name of "omg more subs". The real truth is that we aren't opposed to change, we're opposed to non-sandbox players trying to F up our functional sandbox.

Sorry Jenn, but I just don't agree with you at all on this. You want to rely on people making the game what it is. I think that's true only to a point. Most people don't want another job, they want a game, and so they are lazy. They want to control what happens and generate their own content, but they want it *to be easy* for them to generate content, and this is where CCP comes in.

And no, I don't just want CCP to "give more encouragement" for only things that *I* think are fun. If they can make the game better for others I want that as well. I just don't want them to make the game worse for me. Many people assume you can't have one without the other though, and that's where I think people jump to conclusions and dismiss ideas too quickly.
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#180 - 2014-07-11 17:46:14 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:

No, the title is correct. It's just that a bunch of whiners managed to drag the whole thread off topic by assuming it said “of” rather than “to”. At best, the two are tangential since players critical to the game needs to be retained and/or nurtured, which includes listening to their grievances, but as always, there's a difference between listening to critique and finding it relevant.

Ah gotcha.

Fair enough, grammar citation retracted