These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Why new people are critical to EvE

First post
Author
Dave Stark
#81 - 2014-07-07 09:09:30 UTC
the problem is, new players are often their own worst enemies.

If they're going to threaten to burn your house down and kick your dog just because you shot their retriever; naturally you're not going to be inclined to want to help them and show them the error of their ways. instead, you're probably going to pass on their name along with the hilarious tear filled chatlogs/evemails and thus it'll probably happen to them again.

see, it's those kinds of people were totally fine with losing.
Eternity 1
Doomheim
#82 - 2014-07-07 09:16:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Eternity 1
I don't do multiquoting because it's tedious. Also I typed out a long response and the forum ate it so I will just comment on this:

Yarda Black wrote:
The current player base is playing EVE because of the way it is now. Any change risks people leaving. Well... the emo rage unsub threads following every new thing would suggest that anyway

If CCP calculated that the losses from rage quitters would be more than compensated by the gains from new players they would probably make the changes. However CCP don't seem keen to expand EVE to a wider audience, so as I said before, the game will continue pretty much as is, and everyone's jimmies can remain calmly unrustled at talk of changes to attract new players. EVE is what it is, CCP are happy with that, the players seem mostly happy with that, everyone's a winner.
Gully Alex Foyle
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#83 - 2014-07-07 09:34:54 UTC
I suggest a simple reality check to anyone genuinely interested in new EVE players: spend some time in Rookie Help channel.

I did and I noticed that:

- The newbies there don't whine, they ask

- They have an enviable enthusiasm about the game

- If anything, they're often overwhelmed by the game's complexity, but that's also what fascinates them

- They learn fast, many of the guys asking for help one day were offering help the next day

- The vets in the channel are very helpful

I think the key is just being social. If you play EVE alone, there's a good chance you'll make mistakes and maybe be all butthurt about it. If you start talking to people from day one, you'll be fine.

Then it's just a matter of actually liking the game or not. Believe it or not, some people prefer sorceresses over spaceships.

On a side note, does anyone know how to access Rookie Help as an 'older' player? I've chatted there just with my new alts so far.

Make space glamorous! Is EVE dying or not? Ask the EVE-O Death-o-meter!

Eternity 1
Doomheim
#84 - 2014-07-07 09:41:33 UTC
Gully Alex Foyle wrote:
On a side note, does anyone know how to access Rookie Help as an 'older' player? I've chatted there just with my new alts so far.

Make a new account for your 30 days access. Otherwise you can't.
Dave Stark
#85 - 2014-07-07 09:53:14 UTC
Eternity 1 wrote:
Gully Alex Foyle wrote:

see, i feel that kinda defeats the purpose. if it's there to help new players, it seems illogical excluding everyone but the new players needing help...

it's like telling people they can't drive without a license, but it's illegal to teach people to drive.
Eternity 1
Doomheim
#86 - 2014-07-07 09:58:03 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
see, i feel that kinda defeats the purpose. if it's there to help new players, it seems illogical excluding everyone but the new players needing help...

it's like telling people they can't drive without a license, but it's illegal to teach people to drive.

Can you imagine if everyone were able to join it? Not only would it be trolled to oblivion or filled with off-topic chat like the other Help channel but it would move faster than Jita local and nobody would get any answers.
Yarda Black
The Black Redemption
#87 - 2014-07-07 10:03:45 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
Eternity 1 wrote:
Gully Alex Foyle wrote:

I would agree on that would it not be for the fact that I'm convinced there's going to be dudes learning others how to drive by "teaching" them to pre-ignite their fuel before getting in the car. Cos with pre-heated fuel you'll drive faster.

The current hurdle Alex mentions may keep some of the more "creative" teachers out.
Dave Stark
#88 - 2014-07-07 10:03:52 UTC
Eternity 1 wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:

Can you imagine if everyone were able to join it? Not only would it be trolled to oblivion or filled with off-topic chat like the other Help channel but it would move faster than Jita local and nobody would get any answers.

better than wrong answers from equally clueless people?
Gully Alex Foyle
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#89 - 2014-07-07 10:04:07 UTC
Eternity 1 wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:

It's already well moderated.

Since welcoming newbros is indeed critical to the game's success, it's worth having an ISD or GM monitoring it full-time.

Then it's just a question of permanently kicking out of the channel any >1 month character misbehaving - just an immediate kick in the butt, no warning.

Gully Alex Foyle
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#90 - 2014-07-07 10:15:28 UTC
Yarda Black wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:
Eternity 1 wrote:
Gully Alex Foyle wrote:

I would agree on that would it not be for the fact that I'm convinced there's going to be dudes learning others how to drive by "teaching" them to pre-ignite their fuel before getting in the car. Cos with pre-heated fuel you'll drive faster.

The current hurdle Alex mentions may keep some of the more "creative" teachers out.
In my experience, it's wonderfully self-regulating.

You get the occasional troll, but almost all of the other dudes (newbies and vets alike) immediately gang up on him and tell him to GTFO (so does the ISD).

You also get some guy saying stuff like 'don't ever leave highsec, you'll die', but then a bunch of people start saying 'nah, you just need to be careful' and giving basic survival advice.

Or someone saying 'players will grief you' but someone else pointing out that non-consensual PVP is part of the game, some other guy explaining the EULA, a newbie or two chiming in to learn more about the 'content-creating' lifestyle becuase it appeals to them. Pirate

For some strange but wonderful reason, I've always experienced the 'channel consensus' boiling down to common sense and the actual game mechanics and rules, with a neutral stance on 'space morality'. Lol

Grobalobobob Bob
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#91 - 2014-07-07 10:30:00 UTC
Nose' Feliciano wrote:
What EVE is like:

when I was a kid, i got it in my head to build a tower out of a single deck playing cards.

Just to see if i could do it.

It took me weeks of tries and retries. A straight up tower is not the same as a house of cards, so stability was always an issue.

It becameran obsession. One day, without fanfare I did it....and I won my own personal "EVE."

No that's not EvE. That's the kind of game I'd love EvE to be.. BUT.. EvE is absolutely you trying to build this 'cards tower' BUT, being EvE, there's no way to close your front door, and every time you start building, the kid next door comes running in kicks it down laughing, and runs away again... time and time again, you build one layer and the kid kicks it down. When you confront him, your parents tell YOU OFF, and as he runs home crying, you get to your second level for the first time ever, and the kid returns with 30 of his friends and kicks down your tower. As you start to build up again, he comes back on his own and kicks it down.

Newbros are in favour of being able to close the door and get a bit of privacy whilst building said card tower. Bittervets want you never to build the card tower because they already have theirs, and they're bored, and the only thing to do is prey on the less established for sport.

Decide what side you're on..
Riyria Twinpeaks
Perkone
Caldari State
#92 - 2014-07-07 10:41:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Riyria Twinpeaks
Mithandra wrote:
I see a lot of "New players don't understand what eve is about"

Obviously they don't; they are NEW, just like we all were at one point.

EVE is Darwinian in its brutality. Some live, Some die, some get to (figuratively) breed, others fade away lonely and unloved.

New players are not the enemy, the cult of the bitter epeen vet is.

Get new players into your corp, show them the other side of EVE, the cooperative, exciting, enjoyable, survivable, manic, fantastic side, instead of the usual noobie experience of sudden violent and repeated death at the hands of a hate spouting bitter vet.

Some will get it and stay, some wont and leave. The effort on your part will be rewarded in the future as the number of pilots willing to fly with you increases.

Just my one isks worth

I agree. That's what happened to me, btw. I was taken into my corp and shown new sides of EVE.

But when you say "Some will get it and stay, some won't and leave" you forget those who "don't get it and complain about it, wanting to change the game", and those are the ones the "bitter vets" don't like.

Edit: grammar xD
Velicitia
XS Tech
#93 - 2014-07-07 10:44:31 UTC
Gully Alex Foyle wrote:

alts are the only way to get into "Rookie Chat" (it MUST be a <30d account). though you can access "help" at any time.

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Kal Murmur
Lazortits
#94 - 2014-07-07 12:00:20 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
the problem is, new players are often their own worst enemies.

If they're going to threaten to burn your house down and kick your dog just because you shot their retriever; naturally you're not going to be inclined to want to help them and show them the error of their ways. instead, you're probably going to pass on their name along with the hilarious tear filled chatlogs/evemails and thus it'll probably happen to them again.

see, it's those kinds of people were totally fine with losing.

It used to be that a new mining inclined player would start playing, spend many hours saving and burning rocks to get into an exhumer and then get over cocky and decide to try mining in low sec, at which point they'd get their faces burned off by pirates. That was generally the point where you'd find out whether a player just ragequit or instead fostered their seething rage, determined that ONE DAY I'M GOING TO KILL THAT GUY and became one of the Eve community.

Obviously occasionally there would be a suicide gank in high sec, but it usually felt like it was cleverly done, on high value targets. As a new player it was thrilling, knowing that people were pulling off what felt like daring heists.

Nowadays people start playing, save for that exhumer and then just get popped in high sec by a bad RP'er who has determined that their gameplay style is the only one that matters. Instead of people losing their ships in high sec because of bad gameplay decisions, they're losing them in increasing numbers just by chance. People generally don't like chaos, especially when they haven't yet fully engaged with the game.

Oh and for those people who claim it's the newbies own faults for not checking gankers forums etc etc, get over yourselves.

High sec used to be a place people wanted to leave, now it's seemingly become a place everyone is moving back. The real irony? It's the gankers who are the ones trying to insist that the high sec environment change to suit them. High sec is supposed to be boring.

Someone break up the megablobs in null for crying out loud, so we can go back to just ignoring highsec again.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#95 - 2014-07-07 12:07:04 UTC
Mithandra wrote:

There's a difference between new players and new players, or perhaps more accurately between “don't understand” and “don't understand”.

There's (unfortunately) no shortage of players who come into EVE with an understanding of what it is… only that understanding is wrong. They expect it to work and behave like all the other MMOs they've tried, and they're up for a rude awakening. To make matters worse, they also have a tendency to skip over crucial learning steps because, hey, they've played these games before so they know the score… right? So they don't ask in rookie channel; they draw incorrect conclusions based on naming conventions (eg. high sec = “safe” sec); and they fall afoul of the ultimate account killer: they don't reach out to other players.

So it's not just a matter of some getting it and some not, but of some getting it wrong before they even start. The first two are fair enough: EVE can be complicated, and even if you get past that, you may or may not like it. It's when they strike down a path that has little or no bearing on the actual game that it becomes problematic to steer the whole thing right again. Those initial assumptions die hard.
Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#96 - 2014-07-07 13:12:43 UTC
Mithandra wrote:

I think all anyone wants is for a new player to WANT to get it.

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#97 - 2014-07-07 13:22:27 UTC
Yeah confirming no one in WoW ever told a newbro they sucked and to L2P Roll

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Dinsdale Pirannha
Pirannha Corp
#98 - 2014-07-07 13:33:50 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
Mallak Azaria wrote:
Just for the record, most of us aren't against new people coming to the game to enjoy the game for what it is. We're against people coming to this game & demanding that things be changed to make it more like a themepark to suit their desires. EVE is not a suitable game for that kind of person, who cares if they leave?

I can't help but think that switching 'new people' with 'bitter vet' in the quoted statement would be as equally accurate. Tell me they haven't already turned null into a themepark.

Mr Epeen Cool

High sec: War dec anyone you like (if you can afford it), attack anyone you like (but Concord will hammer you in many cases), go anywhere you like, do anything you like, you pay no one except CCP for the privilege of play the game.

Null sec blue blanket: You can only attack this approved list of people, and only in these approved zones. As a renter, you are only allowed to operate in highly prescribed areas. As a regular line member, if attack someone you are not supposed to, you will be swiftly banned from the null sec areas controlled by the various parties in agreements. If you do not pay your monthly rental fees and tithes to the feudal lords promptly, you are kicked from the null sec areas controlled by the various parties in the agreements. If you are a renter, you are only allowed specific actions which are PVE-only activities, within your prescribed space, and not allowed to deviate from that, under pain of destruction and banishment.

Yup, sov null sec certainly is a the wild west, compared to the "themepark" of high sec.
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#99 - 2014-07-07 13:36:50 UTC
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:

High sec: War dec anyone you like (if you can afford it), attack anyone you like (but Concord will hammer you in many cases), go anywhere you like, do anything you like, you pay no one except CCP for the privilege of play the game.

Null sec blue blanket: You can only attack this approved list of people, and only in these approved zones. As a renter, you are only allowed to operate in highly prescribed areas. As a regular line member, if attack someone you are not supposed to, you will be swiftly banned from the null sec areas controlled by the various parties in agreements. If you do not pay your monthly rental fees and tithes to the feudal lords promptly, you are kicked from the null sec areas controlled by the various parties in the agreements. If you are a renter, you are only allowed specific actions which are PVE-only activities, within your prescribed space, and not allowed to deviate from that, under pain of destruction and banishment.

Yup, sov null sec certainly is a the wild west, compared to the "themepark" of high sec.

Funny, I can attack anyone I like wherever I like and I can still pass through gates, wormholes etc

If Im on any lists, it doesnt seem to be enforced

Maybe you just cry too loudly and have made a target of yourself with your silly nonsense

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#100 - 2014-07-07 13:40:08 UTC
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:

Null sec blue blanket: You can only attack this approved list of people, and only in these approved zones.
Actually, in nullsec, you can attack anyone you like at any time you like.

Quote:
Since highsec has these hard-coded costs built into any aggression and nullsec does not, it sure is.