These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Assault ships pass

Author
Catherine Laartii
Doomheim
#1 - 2014-07-07 01:43:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Catherine Laartii
It would be good, I think, for CCP to do a pass over on the assault frigates since they've been out for several years, and it would be good to look at how they perform in relation to the other ships in the game since they've been "out in the wild for a bit" as CCP rise puts it.

This is a pretty basic balance pass to bring them all up to equal snuff to accentuate their individual strengths. I also thought it might be a good idea to sacrifice some of their utility for direct combat prowess, since that's more in-line with their role.

AMARR

Retribution: Drop the utility high slot for a mid, giving it the ability to have a point and cap booster with the prop mod. The nos is fairly situational to the other party having a neut, and with the ability to fit a cap booster this becomes a non-issue.

Vengeance: Roll the capacitor bonus into the ship like what was done with the sacrilege, and give it a missile velocity bonus for rockets and lights. Give the damage bonus to lights as well. so it has equal viability.

Both ships should get their PG bumped up to around where the punisher's is now, since currently it has more PG than either of them, which is particularly problematic for the Retribution.

GALLENTE

Enyo: Fine as is.

Ishkur: Roll the drone bay space bonus into the ship, and swap that bonus out for 5 mbit per level, so at lvl 5 AFs it can field 5 medium drones. Add a tracking speed bonus on top of the HP bonus it gives for drones, same as the tristan.

CALDARI

Harpy: Drop the utility high slot for a mid. Buff cap regen and base PG.

Hawk: Drop the utility high for a low slot, and bump the cpu up a bit. Drop the 10% kinetic damage bonus for a 5% omni-damage bonus.

WINMATAR

Wolf: Buff PG slightly, and swap falloff bonus for optimal range.

Jaguar: Increase base speed slightly, and swap optimal range bonus for falloff.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

EDIT: after reviewing a few things and getting feedback, I've dialed back dropping the utility highs, and will be leaving them intact on the gallente and minmatar AFs and the Vengeance. It would be ideal for the caldari AFs to have them drop to a mid or a low due to the fitting difficulties they have, and the lack of use for anything but an off-hand weapon.
Kaerakh
Obscure Joke Implied
#2 - 2014-07-07 01:48:22 UTC
Now I know you're trolling, but at least now you're talking about something that you actually have a modicum of experience flying and using.
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#3 - 2014-07-07 02:28:37 UTC  |  Edited by: ShahFluffers
Why are you dropping utility high-slots in almost all the AFs? Those are damn useful for heavy tackling, RR-setups, and dealing with neut pressure!

Also... lol @ giving the Enyo more DPS than it already has (+25% firing rate equals about a 33% overall dps boost... meaning that you will be be getting ~500 dps Enyos easily (current max-gank Enyos put out ~400 dps)) and trying to make it a shield tanking abomination.

And no on the Ishkur fielding 5 medium drones. A 5% damage bonus to drones (with the drone space bonus rolled into the hull), maybe... but no medium drones. They are terrible.
masternerdguy
Doomheim
#4 - 2014-07-07 02:31:10 UTC
Leave utility his alone, they are one of the last bastions of variety in fitting a ship.

Things are only impossible until they are not.

Catherine Laartii
Doomheim
#5 - 2014-07-07 04:03:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Catherine Laartii
ShahFluffers wrote:
Why are you dropping utility high-slots in almost all the AFs? Those are damn useful for heavy tackling, RR-setups, and dealing with neut pressure!

Also... lol @ giving the Enyo more DPS than it already has (+25% firing rate equals about a 33% overall dps boost... meaning that you will be be getting ~500 dps Enyos easily (current max-gank Enyos put out ~400 dps)) and trying to make it a shield tanking abomination.

And no on the Ishkur fielding 5 medium drones. A 5% damage bonus to drones (with the drone space bonus rolled into the hull), maybe... but no medium drones. They are terrible.

Good point on the enyo; might leave that and a few others as is. The retri needs that 3rd mid, tho.

About the ishkur...what exactly is wrong with that? It doesn't get a damage bonus, and it means that you have to train AFs up all the way to 5, so if you already have that, it's a bonus to people who put the time into it. It still does around the same dps as the others, and meds are easier grab and kill than lights. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Also to clarify about the enyo...I said I was dropping its 10% damage bonus down to 5%, then giving it a 5% RoF bonus. It currently has the odd distinction of having only 3 bonuses for a 10% damage modifier, which is kind of odd when you consider the fact that the hawk has the same and still gets 4. So with that in mind, would it still get an extra 33% dps by your math?
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#6 - 2014-07-07 05:33:33 UTC
Catherine Laartii wrote:

Good point on the enyo; might leave that and a few others as is. The retri needs that 3rd mid, tho.

Also to clarify about the enyo...I said I was dropping its 10% damage bonus down to 5%, then giving it a 5% RoF bonus. It currently has the odd distinction of having only 3 bonuses for a 10% damage modifier, which is kind of odd when you consider the fact that the hawk has the same and still gets 4. So with that in mind, would it still get an extra 33% dps by your math?

The Enyo has two application bonuses and one double damage bonus. Given the power of blasters and its relatively high speed it is an example of an Assault Frigate that does not need to be changed (it is basically a faster, slightly less tanky destroyer!).

The Hawk on the other hand has a a total of 3 damage bonuses (a double damage bonus and rate of fire), an application/range bonus, and tank bonus. This was done as a nod to people who complained vehemently about the lackluster power of missiles in general (in terms of damage application).
Otherwise, it is another example of what an Assault Frigate SHOULD BE and thus does not need to be changed.

With regards to the Retribution... it's Amarr. Amarr ships in general have a thing for requiring their ships to work with others (hint: it is not supposed to work solo).
That said... it is a VERY good Talwar buster (dat explosive resist!!) but it needs a little extra... PSSSSSSHHHHHH (I am thinking one more turret should do it).

Catherine Laartii wrote:
About the ishkur...what exactly is wrong with that? It doesn't get a damage bonus, and it means that you have to train AFs up all the way to 5, so if you already have that, it's a bonus to people who put the time into it. It still does around the same dps as the others, and meds are easier grab and kill than lights. I don't see anything wrong with that.

The utility high is best used for a Nos or RR in brawling... and it has enough mids for a prop mod, scram, and web. This is pretty much all the Ishkur is really good for (I have tried kiting fits, they tend to not be very good as everything else is simply faster and/or deals more damage).

Medium drones do not deal very good applied damage and are generally pretty slow for PvP uses... so you are pretty much stuck with light drones. I agree that the drone bay bonus should be rolled in... instead I would give the Ishkur a 5% damage bonus to give it more relevance in today's meta (outside of the Worm, no Frigate has a drone damage bonus).

Also bear in mind that the general theme of T2 ships is that they are supposed to be harder to fit and more specialized than their T1 variants.
Sigras
Conglomo
#7 - 2014-07-07 08:39:52 UTC
Catherine Laartii wrote:
AMARR

Retribution: Drop the utility high slot for a mid, giving it the ability to have a point and cap booster with the prop mod. The nos is fairly situational to the other party having a neut, and with the ability to fit a cap booster this becomes a non-issue.

or you could keep it the way it is so that the NOS makes needing a cap booster a non-issue...

It can fit a prop mod and a warp scramble, which is all it needs... in exchange it gets to be the toughest AF even edging out the vengeance in some cases.
Catherine Laartii wrote:
GALLENTE

Ishkur: Roll the drone bay space bonus into the ship, and swap that bonus out for 5 mbit per level, so at lvl 5 AFs it can field 5 medium drones. Add a tracking speed bonus on top of the HP bonus it gives for drones, same as the tristan.

Hello, 2007 called and they want their terrible ship balance back... I guess you werent around in 2007 before bandwidth was put into the game and the ishkur could field 5 mediums.

It completely ruined frigate combat: NOS + scramble + web + hard to hit frigate = dead frigate/destroyer/cruiser

This would be made even worse by the removal of 90% webs
Catherine Laartii wrote:
CALDARI

Harpy: Drop the utility high slot for a mid. Buff cap regen and base PG.

Giving the harpy a 5th slot for tank would make it tank way too hard with its resist bonus... again I feel like you're missing the fact that a NOS basically eliminates the need for a cap booster especially for a brawler ship.

Also, what could you possibly need more PG for? It already fits neutrons + nos + MWD + all other mods, what more do you need?
Catherine Laartii wrote:
Hawk: Drop the utility high for a low slot, and bump the cpu up a bit. Drop the 10% kinetic damage bonus for a 5% omni-damage bonus.

yet again you fail to give the reason for this change... That said, I can see the desire for more CPU but why a third low slot? what are these changes trying to accomplish?

Catherine Laartii wrote:
WINMATAR

Wolf: Buff PG slightly, and swap falloff bonus for optimal range.

Jaguar: Increase base speed slightly, and swap optimal range bonus for falloff.

Ok, so you want to swap the roles of the wolf and jag, but again, I still dont get why... the shield tanking jaguar lends itself much more to kiting with artilleries and the armor tanking wolf is much more a brawling ship...

My main complaint with your ideas is that I have no idea what design you have in mind so the changes seem random and with no reason...

Remember, T2 ships are meant to be far more specialized (having a specific defined role) and be harder to fit as they are relegated to more advanced players.
Fer'isam K'ahn
SAS Veterinarians
#8 - 2014-07-07 08:50:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Fer'isam K'ahn
Spamm ? Redundant ?

You already have that exact same thread open:

@dit: You should name your posts better or this won't happen. HACs and Assault ships kind of look the same.

And yes, the Retribution needs another mid slot. And some cap, its hard to fit either nos (cpu lack) or cap recharge in the lows missing out on other mods.

The Vengeance is a beast though, not sure it needs any changes (having a deja vu here, I think I wrote the exact same already.. duplicate thread ?) It is supposed to be brawler, adding missile velocity adds range which is contra to the ship role.
Gully Alex Foyle
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2014-07-07 08:59:59 UTC
All of your suggestions are actually very powerful buffs.

I'm no expert, but since AFs are already widely used and usually kick butt pretty well, an overall buff doesn't really seem necessary to me.

Make space glamorous! Is EVE dying or not? Ask the EVE-O Death-o-meter!