These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

How to mine with a bullseye on your back

Author
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#41 - 2014-07-06 15:19:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
Basically, there are a lot of people that actually enjoy EVE, and many of us want you to also.

The first thing you really need to work on is taking responsibility. Your EVE experience depends on you; everything that happens to you in EVE is because of actions you decided to take. Even if that is only clicking the undock button.

Blaming everyone else but yourself for your troubles will get you nowhere. Accept your losses, learn from them, and move on. Make plenty of mistakes, and have no regrets, rather just have fun. Being able to laugh at yourself will take you far. EVE is just a game, so don't take it seriously, and make sure you are always doing something you consider fun.

Many good suggestions have already been made in this thread. It is up to you how to proceed though.

One of my all-time favorite threads is by a rookie asking for help. It is worth reading the entire thread in my opinion. Note his attitude, and the community's response to his attitude. Am I too stupid to play EVE?

Another favorite thread is from Reddit: Experiences of a total n00b, barely 4 days into trial. It is epic, because he won EVE so early-on by "getting it". Worth reading the blog he started. Seems like he found a fun corp too.

There are a lot of corps in EVE. If you don't like your corp, find another!

For what it is worth, I've been considering applying to BOVRIL bOREers Mining CO-OP, a member of BRAVE Collective, the second largest non-renter alliance. BOVRIL is known as the "Blood Miners" because they also PvP. They are nulsec based in BUZ-DB, which has an ice field and a Minmatar outpost for reprocessing. [See, I've done my research on them.]

EDIT: Another epic Reddit thread, Could anyone explain - like I'm five - what Eve is?
J'Poll
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#42 - 2014-07-06 15:55:52 UTC
What Tau said.

I made mistakes FAR worse then yours, yet I'm still here, enjoying myself.

Hell, I even laugh how stupid I was and use it as an example to new players who say that vets don't make mistake.

As killmails aren't allowed, let's me give you the run down.

Here I was, a new player, less then 2 months into EVE and received a nice Xmas bonus from my boss.
Thought, let's make EVE easier on the in game wallet, let's buy some PLEX.
Redeemed them in Jita but found out a couple of systems over, you could get a better price.
Bought a Tayra (then called Badger Mark II) and some cargo expanders, loaded up a dozen skillbooks I needed, a Hulk and Covetor and the 4 PLEX into my badger and undocked.

And I died before I even could load the undock grid.
Luckily for the killer, all 4 PLEX did drop.

Did I got angry, sure, for about 2 hours. But I was angry at myself because I made a stupid mistake.
Did I biomass my character, hell no. Why would I, it was ME who made the mistake, not my character.
Did I come to the forums complaining about it. Nope, because it wouldn't change the fact that I made a mistake.

In EVE any experience, both positive AND negative, are a result of your OWN actions or lack there of.
I learned that a wardec means that if you are camped in a station, don't just blindly undock ship after ship.
I learned that you should not carry PLEX in any ship, especially an untanked industrial.
I learned how to get my POD out of situations where I'm not bubbled (which in itself only happens in null-sec).

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Vortexo VonBrenner
Doomheim
#43 - 2014-07-06 16:00:18 UTC
Soo, OP...to save a little time training you spent a lot of time to be able to do that...no wonder you are not enjoying your game time.
Also, stop being so sensitive.

Haedonism Bot
People for the Ethical Treatment of Rogue Drones
#44 - 2014-07-06 16:00:42 UTC
Kallie Altosoro wrote:
Quote:

Issue with that statement:

Killboard show the Dexson kills - war target kills.

But it shows neither Bram Ridder or something and Septagon Trans killed you on killboards.
Ok. I'm not reading the combat logs right then.

And now Dexson has showed up. Frankly, the more I go on, the more the ******* I'll be. Fine. Fine, you all win. I'll throw Kallie in to the biomass and start over again since it's obvious I'll never be able to get anywhere now. I'll just accept full responsibility for everything and that I'm a liar on top of it all.

You can all laugh now. Bye.

There is no need to biomass, since I suspect your winning personality will result in the same sorts of attention regardless of what character you are playing.

What I gather from this thread is that you have discovered the most glorious thing about this MMO - that every action has consequences. If you go on public forums or channels and say offensive things to people, they are likely to use in-game means to attack your character. This is fine and normal.

My recommendation to you remains the same - join EVE University. If they will still take you after the way you've made an ass of yourself here. If they won't, try RvB or something. Either way, sell all your assets and use the isk to buy a couple hundred Rifters. Then keep your mouth shut and focus on blapping all the things with no regard for your personal safety. Do this for a couple of months and I think you will have a better perspective on things (and the enemies you've made for yourself will likely have forgotten you.)

www.everevolutionaryfront.blogspot.com

Vote Sabriz Adoudel and Tora Bushido for CSMX. Keep the Evil in EVE!

Cara Forelli
State War Academy
Caldari State
#45 - 2014-07-06 16:19:56 UTC
Don't biomass.

EvE is a long term game. Patience is very important. Whether it's putting up with an extra day of training because you really can't afford to lose +5s, or sticking it out until your reputation blows over (I give it two weeks before everyone forgets about this thread).

I would recommend a resculp though. People might not recognize you, plus you can be beautiful like me. Big smile

I'm going to echo the advice above. If you don't enjoy being prey, perhaps it's time to consider being the predator. And no, not all combat characters are like the (arguably unsavory) ones you have run into so far. There are plenty of well meaning pew-pewers from low, null, to WH space that just want to blow things up and have a good time, and would be glad to help you get started doing the same.

Not sure I would recommend 100 rifters though. Maybe 100 breachers...or tristans. Rifters are so 2010.

Want to talk? Join my channel in game: House Forelli

Titan's Lament

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#46 - 2014-07-06 16:24:47 UTC
Hey, turns out if you talk smack on the forums, you might garner attention. Who'd have thunk it?

Next time, don't let your mouth write checks your ass can't cash.

Oh, and watchlisted. Been away for a little while, but I might still have a ganker character nearby where it looks like you live. Blink

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

gfldex
#47 - 2014-07-06 16:45:20 UTC  |  Edited by: gfldex
Since it's story time, here is mine. Well, one of them anyway.

Many many years ago I joined a corp. I picked it on a german forum (my english wasn't that good 10 years ago) by counting the spelling and grammar mistakes. The lowest number was my pick. Surprisingly them germans turned out to be quite nice and very active in game (Browsers didn't have spelling correction back then. Made it a lot easier to spot the jerks.). Just 14 days after I started to play I was in hed-gp and shed some blood. But that's not really where my story begins.

It all started when one of us corpnoobs figured that we could mine in lowsec, because it has riches and is only 4 jumps away. Of all systems he picked Ami. Not knowing the dangers but expecting the worst I checked my wallet and the local prices for a new Thorax. Was looking good so of I went.

We met up just one jump from Ami and one of us scouted the gate. In his Maller. Surprisingly nothing bad happened, so we proceeded into a belt and started shooting rocks with laz0rs. Just 10 minutes later two gankageddons appeared out of nowhere (because we didn't spam the directional scanner) and unshipped us. Back in the day lag was laggy and sensor boosters had no stacking penalty. Out of the six of us who woke up in the clowning station two where laughing. Those two stayed with EVE for many years to come.

My advice is twofold. Firstly, expect the worst and laugh when it happens. Have a smile if you get away. And secondly, spend time on picking your corp. If it takes you less then a week, don't expect great results.

In fact that is true for pretty much anything you do in EVE. If there is cut-throat competition -- take the time to get a knife!

If you take all the sand out of the box, only the cat poo will remain.

ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#48 - 2014-07-06 17:58:41 UTC
"How did you veterans start?"

We all have stories to tell. Even us veterans have failed miserably (some of us multiple times) taking the first few steps into the game. The trick is to rise to the challenge and accept that while you are allowed to do anything you want, so can everyone else... for better or worse.
Daniel Plain
Doomheim
#49 - 2014-07-06 18:57:17 UTC
i put on an endless loop of yakety sax halfway through this thread.

I should buy an Ishtar.

gfldex
#50 - 2014-07-06 19:07:18 UTC
Daniel Plain wrote:
i put on an endless loop of yakety sax halfway through this thread.

I counter your link with a counter-link.

If you take all the sand out of the box, only the cat poo will remain.

Haedonism Bot
#51 - 2014-07-06 19:14:29 UTC
Cara Forelli wrote:

Not sure I would recommend 100 rifters though. Maybe 100 breachers...or tristans. Rifters are so 2010.

I was referring to proverbial Rifters, not literal Rifters.

Schmata Bastanold
In Boobiez We Trust
#52 - 2014-07-06 20:38:11 UTC
Biomass button is there for a reason, use it. Push da button. Push it good...

Invalid signature format

Vortexo VonBrenner
Doomheim
#53 - 2014-07-06 20:55:07 UTC
Schmata Bastanold wrote:
Biomass button is there for a reason, use it. Push da button. Push it good...

I think it's a little "x" on the top of the character pic in the log-in now...not that it effects your sentiment....

Schmata Bastanold
In Boobiez We Trust
#54 - 2014-07-06 21:12:08 UTC
It might be a small button but it's first button you see and can click. Click it, click it now.

Invalid signature format

GordonO
BURN EDEN
#55 - 2014-07-07 00:25:53 UTC
Find a decent new player friendly corp and join. EVE is not new player friendly and it gets less so every day..

... What next ??

Haedonism Bot
#56 - 2014-07-07 09:46:54 UTC
GordonO wrote:
Find a decent new player friendly corp and join. EVE is not new player friendly and it gets less so every day..

This is a misconception. I've found EVE to be very new player friendly and that it gets more so all the time. Note that "new player friendly" is not the same thing as "easy", although by that measure too, it has a much softer learning curve than it once did.

Soylent Jade
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#57 - 2014-07-07 14:09:05 UTC
If you insist on mining, for God's sake quit flying Retrievers. Procurers are as cheap and have a crap ton more EHP (effective hit points). You'll have to make more trips back to station, but those trips won't be in pods (much).

Making hisec better...one Catalyst at a time

minerbumping.com

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#58 - 2014-07-07 15:28:23 UTC
Haedonism Bot wrote:
GordonO wrote:

This is a misconception. I've found EVE to be very new player friendly and that it gets more so all the time. Note that "new player friendly" is not the same thing as "easy", although by that measure too, it has a much softer learning curve than it once did.

This is pretty true, my partner was beating helpful people back with a stick the last time she tried.
However hated the gameplay so didn't stay( though she adamantly refused to try anything els till she "mastered" exploring...pre odyssey....yeah).

Keno Skir
#59 - 2014-07-07 17:31:38 UTC
Its a dangerous game, thats what we like about it (most of us anyway).

There is a well known rule of EvE that basically states "Don't use equipment you cannot easily afford to replace unless you can handle the inevitable loss". You aren't expected to know that to start with, but as you have discovered it's a rule many players are happy to explain with force. Remember the lesson you learned, it's a valuable one.

If you have your wits about you EvE is extremely new player friendly, most older pilots are happy to show new players the ropes.

Everything in EvE is a trade off between risk and reward. You want the reward of a huge cargo hold and high mining yeild, you sacrifice things like HP (defences).

Lastly i'd point out (unsure if it's already been said) the person who killed you repeatedly must have not been in the same corp as you, since you mentioned Concord destroyed his ship. Corp mates are allowed to shoot you without concord interferance.

Hope things improve, but the risk you take by undocking a ship will remain. EvE is all about risks and consequences, and hand holding is kept to a minimum for good reasons. Drop me an EvE-Mail and i'll be happy to help out further.
Keno Skir
#60 - 2014-07-07 17:33:48 UTC
GordonO wrote:

Your second point is quite simply incorrect, EvE gets more new player friendly with every patch.

That is all.