These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Warfare & Tactics

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

You get to give 1 tip to newbie soloers, what is it?

First post
Author
Saisin
Chao3's Rogue Operatives Corp
#61 - 2014-06-23 00:20:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Saisin
Do not believe those that say solo-ing is only one character..
Get an alt in a cheap cov op, to,scout gates ahead of your main ship, ne scan alternate routes via WH space.
use dotlan to check jumps in the last hours, and avoid going closer than 2 or 3 jumps from those red systems.
Use WH as alternate routes..

Most one character "soloers" are in fact relying on a corp or alliance level intel channels, and potential backup if things do not go their way...

In short, create your own intel.

Vote Borat Guereen for CSM XII

Check out the Minarchist Space Project

Luscar Seneca
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#62 - 2014-06-23 01:33:25 UTC
Best advice for "solo" PvP would be to get something to level the playing field. Whether that's high grade implants or links or backup in case things start to go sour for you. You will be running into High Grades, links and gangs the vast majority of the time youre looking for 1v1s. So understand that, dont complain too much about it . Just hope it isnt all 3 of those combined with drugs and pill boosters.

After that it comes down to knowing your ship's role and dictate range accordingly.
Serendipity Lost
Repo Industries
#63 - 2014-06-23 10:44:20 UTC
JAF Anders wrote:
Dictate range.

Most guys don't like dictate. Interesting.

Just have fun. If you get frustrated move on to something else. The whole 'solo pvp dude' dream gets chaced a lot, but is seldom found. There just isn't really a place in eve where you can go to get that sort of thing. It kind of goes against overall game design.

Good solo pvp is about as common as that super hot girl in the white bathing suit swimming through her monthy visit with no issues.
Rahelis
Doomheim
#64 - 2014-06-23 13:40:20 UTC
Colt is right. There is no solo in a MMOG.

In training I always say "combat is a social event".
David Devant
CTRL-Q
Ushra'Khan
#65 - 2014-06-23 14:35:33 UTC
If you see me just engage. I'm really bad and it's basically a free kill.
SeaSaw
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#66 - 2014-06-24 12:41:33 UTC
Warp Core Stabalizers, also known as stabs.

your humble servent
seasaw
Gully Alex Foyle
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#67 - 2014-06-24 13:21:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Gully Alex Foyle
Serendipity Lost wrote:
Good solo pvp is about as common as that super hot girl in the white bathing suit swimming through her monthy visit with no issues.
I must be lucky, I find good solo fun every time I undock alone, looking for trouble. And god invented the monthly visit to let us play EVE for a couple of days without irresistible distractions.

Make space glamorous! Is EVE dying or not? Ask the EVE-O Death-o-meter!

Boyamin
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#68 - 2014-06-24 18:55:19 UTC
my tip: get good headphones and put on your best music. being intoxicated is a bonus.
Brink Albosa
Black Rebel Rifter Club
The Devil's Tattoo
#69 - 2014-06-24 22:56:22 UTC
Get to know Dotlan.
ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#70 - 2014-06-27 20:10:09 UTC
I have removed a rule breaking post and those quoting it.

The Rules:
3. Ranting is prohibited.

A rant is a post that is often filled with angry and counterproductive comments. A free exchange of ideas is essential to building a strong sense of community and is helpful in development of the game and community. Rants are disruptive, and incite flaming and trolling. Please post your thoughts in a concise and clear manner while avoiding going off on rambling tangents.

On topic: Buy a good fit. Do not fit your ship of choice with random stuff from the pile of junk you just happen to have lying around. Unless of course the item(s) you need are in that pile....Blink

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Liam Inkuras
Furnace
#71 - 2014-06-27 21:03:47 UTC
Scorch

I wear my goggles at night.

Any spelling/grammatical errors come complimentary with my typing on a phone

Jamwara DelCalicoe Ashley
New Eden Tech Support
#72 - 2014-06-27 21:30:05 UTC
Cearain wrote:
ALUCARD 1208 wrote:
GET LINKS TwistedTwistedTwistedTwisted

Links are not good for solo. You are better off putting something that does dps in the high slots.

I read this as... off-grid boost links. But you make a good point nonetheless.
Jamwara DelCalicoe Ashley
New Eden Tech Support
#73 - 2014-06-27 21:31:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Jamwara DelCalicoe Ashley
I'd advise them to read evedarklord.blogspot.com/ so that I could say everything in one conveniently packaged "tip."
Miriya Zakalwe
World Wide Welp
#74 - 2014-06-28 07:09:41 UTC
Jamwara DelCalicoe Ashley wrote:
I'd advise them to read evedarklord.blogspot.com/ so that I could say everything in one conveniently packaged "tip."

Even better: just don't give a f*ck about losing your pod. Fast trip home!
Mizhir
Devara Biotech
#75 - 2014-06-28 11:25:05 UTC
Miriya Zakalwe wrote:
Jamwara DelCalicoe Ashley wrote:

Even better: just don't give a f*ck about losing your pod. Fast trip home!

it depends. The lower end hardwires (1-3%) can give you a little boost to ship performance without costing too much. Given that you get your pod out. But this mostly applies for lowsec.

❤️️💛💚💙💜

elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#76 - 2014-06-29 14:06:29 UTC
Some very good advice in here, love it!

And about frigates, as soon as you have the thermodynamics skill, play around with heat. Frigate fights can be very very short, so most of the time you will encounter someone who already has thermodynamics V, which is not a recommendation but mandatory.
Except for propulsion mods that can punish you hard if they go offline, alway put the green light on your guns and or tanking mods green light on as soon as you decloak in a system.

Small guns, missile launchers and small tanking mods will not burn out as fast as in cruiser or destroyer fights.

Don't expect to win, don't expect to loose, expect nothing and prepare for the worst.

If you expect links in one system, leave the system and let them chase you, they either have to take the links with them or leave them, you are now in control, not them.

If you think you cannot beat xyz, you won't.
If in doubt, give it a shot - and the worst thing that could happen is that you just leanred something new about your ship.

Smacktalk after loosing. This is also an art.
Don't throw insults or bad words in local, that is not smacktalk, but a temper tantrum. Make them feel bad if they outnumber you, everyone can do that but again not with insults but sarcasm.

No smacktalking if you only fight one ship and it doen't go well, it already was the best situation you could have hoped for, unless its someone in a supercap, then all smacktalking and making them feel bad is okay.
Dreadnought and carriers also count.

Observe how people 'work', playstyles differ if the goals differ.

Don't ever give a damn about third party websites.

No killmail gives out any accurate information of what went down. As others have said, record your fights and look them over afterwards. They can help you make different desicions.

If you stay too long in one area and people start to 'know' you, it is about time to take a vacation from that area and explore other areas.

If you are in a frigate and see an Ishtar or more than one on scan, its time to leave the system.

If your scan shows a boat that you have never heard of (which is rare), it is also time to leave the system and bring reinforcements.

Ooops, that's more than one tip, my apologies

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

Vartan Sarkisian
Lucifer's Hammer
A Band Apart.
#77 - 2014-07-04 11:42:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Vartan Sarkisian
Learn the difference between loose and lose as there seems to be an issue with the word lose here.

Advise I was given was take a cheap ship, get someone in your corp to vet the fit, know roughly what ships you should target then attack them all, and learn from each encounter.
Cara Forelli
State War Academy
Caldari State
#78 - 2014-07-04 15:31:53 UTC
Vartan Sarkisian wrote:
Learn the difference between loose and lose as there seems to be an issue with the word lose here.

Advise I was given was take a cheap ship, get someone in your corp to vet the fit, know roughly what ships you should target then attack them all, and learn from each encounter.

Suggest you check out advise vs. advice.

Want to talk? Join my channel in game: House Forelli

Titan's Lament

Garresh
Mackies Raiders
Wild Geese.
#79 - 2014-07-04 16:33:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Garresh
Don't invest in off grid boosts and links or implants. You're new, and they will handicap you so you never get good. Instead...

Learn your own style and stick to it. Find that niche you enjoy flying that works for you. For me its minmatar flexible ships. People said the fire tail was just a better rifter back 3 years ago, and wasn't worth it. I continued flying them and kicked ass. Meta eventually caught up and I saw more people adopting the TD style. People say the Jaguar is awful too but frankly its a great ship that I do well with. My point is if you find your own style that you enjoy, you'll both fight well and surprise people, which is a strength all its own.

Don't go in looking to win. Go in looking for good fights. You'll be less frustrated and get more fights you enjoy.

In the roguelike community there is a saying that "losing is fun". This is true. Some of my best fights I've had have been ones where I ran, or they ran, or I died.

Additionally, take fights that you *should* lose, but aren't 100% about. You miss 100% of shots you can't take. I have a surprising number of kills on my firetail vs tracking disruptor fittings where I stayed around and tried to position to minimize its effects. If its a guaranteed loss don't bother, but as a soloer the odds are "never" in your favor, so take those fights that are stacked against you.

Learn to fight the blob. If you only look for honorable 1v1s you'll never fight. So your mark has backup in local? Screw it, take him anyways, but bait him off the warp in of a plex or split them up. This skill is important. My killboard isn't impressive but I think these days half of my fights I take are vs multiple opponents. I run from many, but sometimes I get a kill before I have to run. And Sometimes I kill em all or they run. Either way if you show courage and take the fights you will improve.

Learn from every fight. Very few fights are played perfectly by anyone. I can only think of one fight I've had in the entirety of eve that I handled perfectly, over the last 5 years playing. And that fight stemmed from me flying my firetail nonstop taking fights I shouldn't and learning the strengths and weaknesses like the back of my hand. Nobody masters eve. They only get better.

Learn to design ships. Some of the best PvPers know how to build a ship and design their own style. This plays into the surprise element as well. You'll get more fights and do better if you run something atypical or put your own spin on something. Use popular fittings as a point of comparison, but understand that paper dps isn't the whole story. A good ship is more than the sum of its parts. When you can learn this and how to do this you'll be well on your way.

Learn to run. You should take every fight you can, but don't feel bad about running. The more important thing is that you managed to both get into the fight and then get away. If you can take 10 fights and run from every single one then you are teaching yourself how to maneuver and position and control range. There's no shame in that. Only shame if you never took the fight to begin with.

Again, my KB is nothing impressive, but I doubt many "true" soloers who aren't 4 bil invested into boosters and links and implants have good killboards. So don't be too hard on yourself. Most people in low are using massive financial investment to rig the game before it starts. If you get anywhere near 50% you're doing well.

This Space Intentionally Left Blank

Maeltstome
Ten Thousand Days
#80 - 2014-07-05 12:34:59 UTC
If you can't buy 5 of them, don't undock with 1 of them.