These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

Power Projection Poll

Author
Marlona Sky
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1 - 2014-07-04 20:23:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Il Feytid
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#2 - 2014-07-04 20:30:06 UTC
My tracking blocker doesn't seem to agree with the polling widget. P
Arronicus
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#3 - 2014-07-04 20:41:27 UTC
I think there is too much vagueness to your question, as there are different areas of power projection within eve, where some are not overly problematic, whereas others are further reinforcing the giant blue doughnut in eve. I feel that the question cannot give an accurate representation of people's thoughts on the situation without breaking it down into a few areas of power projection.

The ability of alliances to quickly move large amounts of capital ships and super capitals from region to region, or within a region.
The ability of alliances to quickly move large numbers of ships long distances via titan jump portals
The difficulty of interdicting or inhibiting long range movement, and the lack of options for doing so
The ability of alliances in regions to rapidly move very large groups through jump bridge networks to cover long distances rapidly.

I'm sure there's more, but these are all areas of power projection that could be separately addressed. Personally, I feel the third one, that is the lack of options for blocking large fleet movement via jump portals and cynos is the most lacking, whereas CCP has done some good work to limit the fourth.

I have my own ideas of how to address these, but I won't go into them here.
Marlona Sky
State War Academy
Caldari State
#4 - 2014-07-04 20:51:49 UTC
Arronicus wrote:
I think there is too much vagueness to your question

That is why you expand upon what you are talking about in the comments of this thread. Adding hundreds of options is unpractical. Just expand upon what you don't like with a post in the thread here.
Arronicus
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#5 - 2014-07-04 21:03:39 UTC
Marlona Sky wrote:
Arronicus wrote:
I think there is too much vagueness to your question

That is why you expand upon what you are talking about in the comments of this thread. Adding hundreds of options is unpractical. Just expand upon what you don't like with a post in the thread here.

Adding hundreds is indeed impractical, which is why I suggest a small handful, three or four perhaps. The question as is, is like asking whether battleships are balanced. Some are, some aren't. Asking as a whole if they are or are not, doesn't do anyone much good, except to say that there may or may not be some areas that need to be addressed. I think that is the state of power projection, it's a complicated issue that needs to be addressed in the parts that it is hurting the game, without blanket solutions that will cripple the haulers, movers, small groups and individual players. My personal concern is that the route CCP appears to be progressing toward is that blanket route, if we make it more expensive, more difficult, it will help, which is really quite the opposite.
Mario Putzo
#6 - 2014-07-04 21:20:25 UTC
Yes there is a problem with power projection, but it is more a symptom of a larger problem, and that is mechanics in sov being pretty much utter ****.

IMO the best thing they can do is stretch out the distances between regions, making it more difficult to move Capitals and SuperCapitals around the map, as well as limiting the effectiveness of Bridging large subcap fleets. Ideally most regional access would exist solely from lowsec points of entry, while inter Nullsec travel would be to far out of the range of jump drives and what not.

An example of this would be the Tenal > < Cobalt gap between SF- XJS and HB-5L3. This gap can not see capitals across, you must make the trek around through several regions (7 Cyno points) to reach a system that is accessible to subcapitals simply by using a gate.

Applying this to the other inter regional access points suddenly makes it much more of a PITA to pull people halfway across the galaxy to blob into a huge fight. It may even encourage the eventual breakdown of the Blocs as it would become more irritating to fight an enemy in Etherium Reach, than it would be to fight one in Venal, when staging out of Deklein.

While that would help fix the power projection issues, as I said, this is merely a symptom of a much more complex problem. Sov war largely sucks, most people don't actually enjoy the objective of structure grinding, it greatly limits new and smaller groups from participating and the worst part promotes a culture of revolving door players...who come back in fewer and fewer numbers because wars are less and less as the blue list gets longer and longer.

CCP needs to fix issues with sov mechanics, they need to make it more of a use it or lose it system, they need to make it more accessible to smaller groups, and make it an attainable reality to compete without the need of a big bloc and 50K man coalitions.

Sure you can isolate power projection, and fix it, but ultimately it amounts to kicking the can down the road. The real problem is dominion sov, it is largely ****, it is largely inaccessible to players, and it acts as an endgame, and not just part of the sandbox.

Gully Alex Foyle
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2014-07-04 21:30:31 UTC
You should maybe add 'don't know' (which would be my honest answer).

Make space glamorous! Is EVE dying or not? Ask the EVE-O Death-o-meter!

Baron Chauman
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2014-07-04 21:46:41 UTC
No.

Power projection is a necessity to realize the myth of the blue donut.
Rhes
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2014-07-05 00:25:59 UTC
Why make a poll? We already know you think there's a problem with power projection (except for how NCdot uses it).

EVE is a game about spaceships and there's an enormous amount of work to do on the in-space gameplay before players (or developers) are ready to sacrifice it for a totally new type of gameplay - CCP Rise

stoicfaux
#10 - 2014-07-05 00:41:07 UTC
There's a problem with power projection if high-sec really is null-sec's industrial base.

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Marlona Sky
State War Academy
Caldari State
#11 - 2014-07-05 01:05:22 UTC
Rhes wrote:
We already know you think there's a problem with power projection (except for how NCdot uses it).

When have I ever implied anything like that?
Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#12 - 2014-07-05 01:17:52 UTC
"Do you think there is a problem with power projection?"

"Yes"

"Therefore my pet solution is what everyone wants"

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Marlona Sky
State War Academy
Caldari State
#13 - 2014-07-05 01:22:21 UTC
Andski wrote:

"Yes"

And I never implied that either. Do try harder. I expected more from you. Straight
Alavaria Fera
Imperial Shipment
#14 - 2014-07-05 02:49:09 UTC
Andski wrote:

"Yes"

nerfing local

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Rankan
State War Academy
Caldari State
#15 - 2014-07-05 06:58:05 UTC
My Power Projection Poll is fine just the way it is.

oh wait a second...
Schmata Bastanold
In Boobiez We Trust
#16 - 2014-07-05 07:05:23 UTC
Gully Alex Foyle wrote:
You should maybe add 'don't know' (which would be my honest answer).

"I don't care" would be even more honest.

Invalid signature format

Sean Apollo
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#17 - 2014-07-05 07:19:15 UTC
How about we just wait for CCP to change sov mechanics. Then we can see if "power projection" needs a change

Most people hate me...

Dave Stark
#18 - 2014-07-05 07:23:57 UTC
Marlona Sky wrote:
Andski wrote:

"Yes"

And I never implied that either. Do try harder. I expected more from you. Straight

good, because your last idea for solving power projection and "teleporting" was dreadful. that is, unless you've had more bad ideas since i last read anything of yours.
Baneken
Arctic Light Inc.
Arctic Light
#19 - 2014-07-05 07:39:11 UTC
Problem isn't really with power projection but with the perceived power and ease that (super) capitals bring to SOV warfare.

Question is what kind of mechanic would turn grind for victory to something that would require skills and planning instead of raw strength and bigger blob then the next guy.
Obviously something that requires more then just placing a monument in the system saying 'I was here 100 days ago and never visited again, rent me for xxxxx or my blob is here the next sun down'.
So something related to activity within space, well FW capturing seems to work but that's because those systems belong to someone (npc) by default and you get tangible benefits for keeping it that way.

But what ever the solution it needs to be something more dynamic then just dropping a hundred caps and going home after 10minutes, mainly because it makes it meaningless to even attempt to take sov without an equal fleet that the defender/attacker can put together.

Sean Apollo
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#20 - 2014-07-05 07:45:43 UTC
Baneken wrote:
Problem isn't really with power projection but with the perceived power and ease that (super) capitals bring to SOV warfare.

Question is what kind of mechanic would turn grind for victory to something that would require skills and planning instead of raw strength and bigger blob then the next guy.
Obviously something that requires more then just placing a monument in the system saying 'I was here 100 days ago and never visited again, rent me for xxxxx or my blob is here the next sun down'.
So something related to activity within space, well FW capturing seems to work but that's because those systems belong to someone (npc) by default and you get tangible benefits for keeping it that way.

But what ever the solution it needs to be something more dynamic then just dropping a hundred caps and going home after 10minutes, mainly because it makes it meaningless to even attempt to take sov without an equal fleet that the defender/attacker can put together.

What I'm gathering from most of these comments is that sov's the problem. Thus we shouldn't be trying to change power projection until CCP changes the sov mechanics. Then we can decide if power projection needs to have some tweaks or not.

Most people hate me...

123Next page