These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Proposal: Do away with turret signature resolution stat

Author
Aebe Amraen
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#21 - 2014-07-03 00:34:20 UTC
Tyberius Franklin wrote:
Aebe Amraen wrote:
Daichi Yamato wrote:
what turret sig does it makes it sort of arbitrarily difficult for large weapons to hit small targets, and like wise makes small weapons hit large targets extremely well.

No, the target sig radius does that. My proposal has nothing to do with sig radiuses.. The turret sig resolution does not do that. My proposal does have something to do with turret sig resolutions.

The number of people telling me I'm wrong in this thread is simply more evidence that the vast majority of Eve players don't understand sig resolution.
Sig radius does that by directly comparing to sig resolution. It's not independent of it. If sig res goes away sig rad only affects lock time and has no effect on damage or chance to hit. Note that chance to hit directly affects hit quality as well.

Sig radius does that by being included in the denominator of a fraction in the term to which 0.5 is raised in the chance-to-hit formula. The fact that there is an arbitrary number we call turret sig resolution in the numerator of that fraction is completely irrelevent to the effect sig radius has. Sig radius would still have exactly the same effect if my proposal was implemented as outlined in the OP.
Bohneik Itohn
#22 - 2014-07-03 00:43:01 UTC
Aebe Amraen wrote:

The fact that there is an arbitrary number we call turret sig resolution in the numerator of that fraction is completely irrelevent to the effect sig radius has.

Turret Sig res is not the arbitrary number here. 0.5 is. There is still no way to address the static becoming a variable without a complete rebalance.

Wait, CCP kills kittens now too?!  - Freyya

Are you a forum alt? Have you ever wondered why your experience on the forums is always so frustrating and unrewarding? This may help.

Arla Sarain
#23 - 2014-07-03 00:44:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Arla Sarain
The ratio of turret scan res to target sig radius is a big chunk to the tracking formula and tracking tanking.

You need a power of 6.25 (+-) to drop the chance to around 1%.

To make this extremely easy, ignoring range (assume always within enemy optimal), and focusing just on whats inside those brackets (ignoring the square), you need a total ratio of 1.8 to drop the chance to be hit to 10%.

Now, doing what you're asking to do means that pilots focusing on tracking tanking have to fly so that their angular velocity is 80% faster than enemy tracking.

That's quite challenging. Try orbiting at 500 at max non-prop speed. Few ships can do that, if any at all. First due to agility your 500 orbit is blown up to 800. Then, your speed is about 80-90% of its max speed. You basically hover at around 400m/s at 800m orbit, giving you angular velocity of ~0.5 rad/s.

Hence, enemy tracking has to be 0.27.

Neutrons with void have about 0.35rad/s.

Getting under guns will be very difficult, because cruiser 125 scan res on turrets gives frigates some leeway on how fast they should be to avoid fire.

Please don't do this. Yes, it's a clustrefudge of an equation. But tracking is something that favors those who take the time to understand it. Sig radius and turret resolution included. It's one of those few things that are interesting in a way, and different from all the EFT DPS warriors and people who focus on out DPSing their opponents.
And it's not like all the sources are locked up somewhere - everything is available, and those who want to understand can and should take the time to study the formula and apply it ingame.

Yes it would make understanding the system simpler, but it would not make the game better for it.

And those numbers are less arbitrary than you might think. Turret resolution describes how steep can attacking frigates spiral and how quickly they can approach the victim.
Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#24 - 2014-07-03 00:45:57 UTC
Aebe Amraen wrote:
Tyberius Franklin wrote:
Aebe Amraen wrote:
Daichi Yamato wrote:
what turret sig does it makes it sort of arbitrarily difficult for large weapons to hit small targets, and like wise makes small weapons hit large targets extremely well.

No, the target sig radius does that. My proposal has nothing to do with sig radiuses.. The turret sig resolution does not do that. My proposal does have something to do with turret sig resolutions.

The number of people telling me I'm wrong in this thread is simply more evidence that the vast majority of Eve players don't understand sig resolution.
Sig radius does that by directly comparing to sig resolution. It's not independent of it. If sig res goes away sig rad only affects lock time and has no effect on damage or chance to hit. Note that chance to hit directly affects hit quality as well.

Sig radius does that by being included in the denominator of a fraction in the term to which 0.5 is raised in the chance-to-hit formula. The fact that there is an arbitrary number we call turret sig resolution in the numerator of that fraction is completely irrelevent to the effect sig radius has. Sig radius would still have exactly the same effect if my proposal was implemented as outlined in the OP.
What? I'm sorry, I just have to make sure I understand your claim here. It sounds like you are saying that 1 half of a fraction which serves as a factor in the equation is somehow irrelevant to the result.

Also calling it arbitrary is meaningless. Sig res is just as arbitrary as are the base tracking numbers themselves.

And the op is unclear, are we normalizing sig res in the equation or removing it?
Aebe Amraen
Dreddit
#25 - 2014-07-03 00:46:41 UTC
Arla Sarain wrote:
Yes it would make understanding the system simpler, but it would not make the game better for it.

You are right, it would not make the game better, because it would make literally no difference to the game. Apart from making it easier to understand.
Daichi Yamato
Jabbersnarks and Wonderglass
#26 - 2014-07-03 00:48:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Daichi Yamato
no the turret sig res DOES do that.

What u obviously think is that if i take a small turret and shoot at a moving frig, and then take a large turret and add enough tracking computers that its tracking is the same as the small turrets, that both weapons will have the same chance of hitting?

No, this is not how it works.

u cannot buff the tracking of a large turret so that it hits as well as a small turret, because of turret res.

Quote:

oh the irony fudge! twice in one week

EVE FAQ "7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided"

Daichi Yamato's version of structure based decs

Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#27 - 2014-07-03 00:48:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Tyberius Franklin
Bohneik Itohn wrote:
Aebe Amraen wrote:

The fact that there is an arbitrary number we call turret sig resolution in the numerator of that fraction is completely irrelevent to the effect sig radius has.

Turret Sig res is not the arbitrary number here. 0.5 is. There is still no way to address the static becoming a variable without a complete rebalance.
Technically there would be no performance change, just a bunch of numbers which no longer make sense compared to performance if we are normalizing sig res.

That's if we are just normalizing, haven't received an answer clarifying that yet.

Edit: that's a yes on the normalizing so he is correct that there is no functional change.
Arla Sarain
#28 - 2014-07-03 00:48:50 UTC
Aebe Amraen wrote:
Arla Sarain wrote:

You are right, it would not make the game better, because it would make literally no difference to the game. Apart from making it easier to understand.

You are being ignorant.

It's a huge difference.
Aebe Amraen
Dreddit
#29 - 2014-07-03 00:48:53 UTC
Tyberius Franklin wrote:

(snip)
And the op is unclear, are we normalizing sig res in the equation or removing it?

We are removing sig res as a variable. The easiest way to do that, to avoid having to change a bunch of game code, is to make sig res equal for all guns and adjust tracking accordingly. The end result is that the game mechanic is exactly the same as it was before the change--just easier to understand.
Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#30 - 2014-07-03 00:49:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Tyberius Franklin
Quoting the issue brought up from before:

"If we are still using it, just normalized it makes things more confusing as unintuitively, I can hit BS's with radial velocities several times my tracking speed (sig rad greater than normalized sig res), but can't hit frigates moving at even half of that well (sig rad less than normalized rig res). Either way the presented tracking number is still not what it appears. It also means more phantom numbers to deal with, a factor I only recently found out about in missile damage calculation.

Edit: It also doesn't simplify the formula at all, just transforms one factor into a constant."
Aebe Amraen
Dreddit
#31 - 2014-07-03 00:51:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Aebe Amraen
Daichi Yamato wrote:

What u obviously think is that if i take a small turret and shoot at a moving frig, and then take a large turret and add enough tracking computers that its tracking is the same as the small turrets, that both weapons will have the same chance of hitting?

u cannot buff the tracking of a large turret so that it hits as well as a small turret, because of turret res.

You are correct. A large gun with 0.1 tracking will not track as well as a small gun with 0.1 tracking because of the sig res. This is exactly the problem I am trying to solve. By getting rid of sig res and changing the tracking numbers so that the applied tracking (i.e. chance-to-hit) is exactly the same as it was previous to the change (though the tracking stat itself will be different for at least one of the guns), we make no change to the game mechanic but make it easier to understand because there is now only one number to compare (tracking) rather than two (tracking and sig res).

In this brave new world, a gun with tracking 0.1 always has better than a gun with tracking 0.05, while in our current world this may or may not be the case.

Edit: A little clarification.
Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#32 - 2014-07-03 00:54:42 UTC
Aebe Amraen wrote:
Daichi Yamato wrote:

You are correct. A large gun with 0.1 tracking will not track as well as a small gun with 0.1 tracking because of the sig res. This is exactly the problem I am trying to solve. By getting rid of sig res and changing the tracking numbers so that the tracking is exactly the same as it was previous to the change, we make no change to the game mechanic but make it easier to understand because there is now only one number to compare (tracking) rather than two (tracking and sig res).
It introduces another issue with understanding: Why don't my guns hit some targets moving slower that my tracking while hitting others significantly faster?
Aebe Amraen
Dreddit
#33 - 2014-07-03 00:57:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Aebe Amraen
Tyberius Franklin wrote:

(snip)

It introduces another issue with understanding: Why don't my guns hit some targets moving slower that my tracking while hitting others significantly faster?

Because big things are easier to hit.

Edit: This is not an issue that my proposal introduces, this is already the case now.
Arla Sarain
#34 - 2014-07-03 00:58:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Arla Sarain
Aebe Amraen wrote:
Daichi Yamato wrote:

You are correct. A large gun with 0.1 tracking will not track as well as a small gun with 0.1 tracking because of the sig res. This is exactly the problem I am trying to solve. By getting rid of sig res and changing the tracking numbers so that the tracking is exactly the same as it was previous to the change, we make no change to the game mechanic but make it easier to understand because there is now only one number to compare (tracking) rather than two (tracking and sig res).

Think about it this way: you remove turret scan res, and to compensate you change tracking as per your suggestion.

All guns have to be 1 scan res, or some other constant. The implication is that you blow up turret tracking to astronomical proportions. Whilst this holds no computation difference, it ruins interpretation.

How do you translate your turrets' 6 radian tracking (now that it went up from 0.5, substantially due to removal of turret resolution) to your ships angular velocity of 0.2? How?

You don't. Those numbers are far apart and feel MORE arbitrary than before.

AS mentioned - you are being ignorant. Turret scan resolution is not as arbitrary as you believe; whether intended by CCP or not, is up to debate.

Their PURPOSE is to normalise tracking numbers. Without them your tracking to angular velocity numbers would be largely out of proportion.

0.5 tracking is easy to relate to 0.2 angular velocity. Far easier. No it doesn't tell much to the casual layman, but it's a lot more secure understanding.
Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#35 - 2014-07-03 01:00:40 UTC
Aebe Amraen wrote:
Tyberius Franklin wrote:

(snip)

Great, so what is the relevance of my tracking stat? How does it compare to anything I'm being presented in game?
Aebe Amraen
Dreddit
#36 - 2014-07-03 01:01:42 UTC
Arla Sarain wrote:

(snip)

How do you translate your turrets' 6 radian tracking (now that it went up from 0.5, substantially due to removal of turret resolution) to your ships angular velocity of 0.2? How?

HOLY **** I HAVE AWESOME TRACKING.

Arla Sarain wrote:

(snip)

0.5 tracking is easy to relate to 0.2 angular velocity. Far easier. No it doesn't tell much to the casual layman, but it's a lot more secure understanding.

So we should use the current, less-informative, harder-to-understand system because it feels "more secure"?
Aebe Amraen
Dreddit
#37 - 2014-07-03 01:02:41 UTC
Tyberius Franklin wrote:
Aebe Amraen wrote:
Tyberius Franklin wrote:

(snip)

Great, so what is the relevance of my tracking stat? How does it compare to anything I'm being presented in game?

Yes, it compares to angular velocity. And unlike right now, it compares the same way to angular velocity no matter what size of ship you're flying.
Arla Sarain
#38 - 2014-07-03 01:03:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Arla Sarain
It's not broken.

So don't break it.

If you want to know more about tracking you can ask me. It's not that difficult.

Aebe Amraen wrote:
[

So we should use the current, less-informative, harder-to-understand system because it feels "more secure"?

There is more to it.

You're NOT GOING TO HAVE A MORE EASIER TO UNDERSTAND system.

How is 6 rad/s tracking against 0.2 angular velocity easier to understand? It is exactly the same problem as
Tyberius Franklin wrote:

(snip)

Gentlemen - you won't be fixing anything with this.
As stated, it will only become more arbitrary.
Linkxsc162534
Silent Scourge
#39 - 2014-07-03 01:08:21 UTC
So.... what your saying is you want to nerf target painters. Because thats literally the only effect that this change would have.

And the easy to understand argument. Srsly you cant handle highschool algebra 1 and understand it? Its not hard. Im not even good at math and it seems straightforward. Try explaining to a noob how passive shield tanking works instead.
Bohneik Itohn
#40 - 2014-07-03 01:09:04 UTC
Arla Sarain wrote:

Think about it this way: you remove turret scan res, and to compensate you change tracking as per your suggestion.

All guns have to be 1 scan res, or some other constant. The implication is that you blow up turret tracking to astronomical proportions. Whilst this holds no computation difference, it ruins interpretation.

You don't. Those numbers are far apart and feel MORE arbitrary than before.

AS mentioned - you are being ignorant. Turret scan resolution is not as arbitrary as you believe; whether intended by CCP or not, is up to debate.

Their PURPOSE is to normalise tracking numbers. Without them your tracking to angular velocity numbers would be largely out of proportion.

This is what I was trying to say, but I guess I was being too vague.

You can't remove a number that is pretty much constant as it stands (Turret sig res) and replace it with a constantly changing number which just inherited a wider degree of variance (tracking speed) without changing everything else involved.

And that is literally everything. Everything will be effected by this.

Wait, CCP kills kittens now too?!  - Freyya

Are you a forum alt? Have you ever wondered why your experience on the forums is always so frustrating and unrewarding? This may help.