These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Proposal: Do away with turret signature resolution stat

Author
Aebe Amraen
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#1 - 2014-07-02 22:24:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Aebe Amraen
Prologue: I want to make it clear before getting into the post that what I am proposing here will have literally no effect on chance to hit or applied damage. It is purely a cosmetic change with no implications for game mechanics, though it will make game mechanics easier to understand.

Background: Turrets currently have four stats that affect damage application: optimal and falloff deal with range, while tracking and signature resolution deal with the target's movement. I am not interested in optimal and falloff today, and will ignore them. The turret chance-to-hit formula, for our purposes, looks like this:

Link

Most people understand the basic idea of tracking, but in my experience most people do not understand turret signature resolution. For example, let's suppose we double a turret's signature resolution. What happens?

Link

That is, doubling the turret's signature resolution is effectively identical to halving its tracking speed.

Here is the crux of the matter: tracking speed and signature resolution are two stats which affect exactly the same thing in exactly the same way. The effect of changing one in one direction is identical to the effect of changing the other in the other direction. Having two stats instead of one combined stat is confusing and serves no purpose whatsoever (other than to confuse). Indeed, based on my conversations with people, most Eve players are confused about the role of turret signature resolution.

Proposal: Because the turret signature resolution stat is useless, duplicative, and poorly understood by most EVE players, I suggest we do away with it entirely, adjust turret tracking speeds to keep each gun the same as it is currently, and stop confusing people. This does not even require any change in the Eve code base, just in the item database: pick a convenient number, for example 100, change all turret signature resolutions to 100, and multiply the tracking speed by 100/(old signature resolution). This can easily be accomplished with a database script and requires minimal programmer time to implement.

Summary: This will have literally no effect on how guns actually work in the game, on how often you hit or miss or on how much damage you apply. It will make the chance-to-hit formula easier to understand, allow easy comparison of tracking across guns of different sizes, and more natural comparison of your tracking speed to the angular velocity of targets.

What do you think?

Edit: fixed a typo.
Ko'Ahi
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#2 - 2014-07-02 22:28:11 UTC
Aebe Amraen wrote:
Prologue: I want to make it clear before getting into the post that what I am proposing here will have literally no effect on chance to hit or applied damage. It is purely a cosmetic change with no implications for game mechanics, though it will make game mechanics easier to understand.

Background: Turrets currently have four stats that affect damage application: optimal and falloff deal with range, while tracking and signature resolution deal with the target's movement. I am not interested in optimal and falloff today, and will ignore them. The turret chance-to-hit formula, for our purposes, looks like this:

Link

Most people understand the basic idea of tracking, but in my experience most people do not understand turret signature resolution. For example, let's suppose we double a turret's signature resolution. What happens?

Link

That is, doubling the turret's signature resolution is effectively identical to halving its tracking speed.

Here is the crux of the matter: tracking speed and signature resolution are two stats which affect exactly the same thing in exactly the same way. The effect of changing one in one direction is identical to the effect of changing the other in the other direction. Having two stats instead of one combined stat is confusing and serves no purpose whatsoever (other than to confuse). Indeed, based on my conversations with people, most Eve players are confused about the role of turret signature resolution.

Proposal: Because the turret signature resolution stat is useless, duplicative, and poorly understood by most EVE players, I suggest we do away with it entirely, adjust turret tracking speeds to keep each gun the same as it is currently, and stop confusing people. This does not even require any change in the Eve code base, just in the item database: pick a convenient number, for example 100, change all turret signature resolutions to 100, and multiply the tracking speed by 100/(old signature resolution). This can easily be accomplished with a database script and requires minimal programmer time to implement.

Summary: This will have literally no effect on how guns actually work in the game, on how often you hit or miss or on how much damage you apply. It will make the chance-to-hit formula easier to understand, allow easy comparison of tracking across guns of different sizes, and more natural comparison of your tracking speed to the angular velocity of targets.

What do you think?

I think you're a NERD.

koahisquad - please have fun and be cool

Pls follow me on twitter at http://twitter.com/koahico tom hanks ))

Joraa Starkmanir
Station Spinners United
#3 - 2014-07-02 22:36:16 UTC
I think turrets should rely MORE on signature radius than they do currently not less.
Remove it from the tracking formula, but add it as part of the dmg formula, so stationary targets dont take full dmg unless they are larger than the turret signature.
Aebe Amraen
Dreddit
#4 - 2014-07-02 22:43:26 UTC
Ko'Ahi wrote:
Aebe Amraen wrote:

Link

Link

What do you think?

I think you're a NERD.

Can't disagree there.
Aebe Amraen
Dreddit
#5 - 2014-07-02 22:50:02 UTC
Joraa Starkmanir wrote:
I think turrets should rely MORE on signature radius than they do currently not less.
Remove it from the tracking formula, but add it as part of the dmg formula, so stationary targets dont take full dmg unless they are larger than the turret signature.

That's a question of game design and completely unrelated to my proposal. Feel free to start a thread about it, though.
Rowells
Blackwater USA Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#6 - 2014-07-02 23:23:52 UTC
If it's simplification than I'm all for it.

Also, I second the you are a nerd claim.
Bohneik Itohn
#7 - 2014-07-02 23:24:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Bohneik Itohn
Edit: To be clear, if someone has literature that shows otherwise please link it. It's been a while since I read what I think I've read and I didn't bookmark any of it.

From what I understand, Tracking speed and turret res don't affect damage the same way.

Tracking speed is tracking speed. Either your guns have the ability to track the target or they don't, and this reduces the applied damage by a degree relevant to how much faster your target's transversal is than your tracking speed.

Basically you're assuming that your turrets are always locked on the ships weak point and hammering away at it, and if you don't have sufficient tracking speed your turrets slip off into a less vulnerable area of the ship.

Turret resolution is different in that it is, as I understand it, a percentage chance to hit the target based upon the targets size as compared to the turrets size, and the distance to the target. Either you hit, or you don't, based upon the formula, it doesn't merely reduce the damage.

I may have it entirely wrong, but that's what I've picked up from various documents that went into fine detail on the subject. The bottom line is that Turret Resolution and Tracking speed are controlling two different mechanics for mitigating damage to the target. The names make it sound like they contradict each other, but from a nuts and bolts perspective they do two entirely different things.

Wait, CCP kills kittens now too?!  - Freyya

Are you a forum alt? Have you ever wondered why your experience on the forums is always so frustrating and unrewarding? This may help.

Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2014-07-02 23:29:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Tyberius Franklin
Bohneik Itohn wrote:
From what I understand, Tracking speed and turret res don't affect damage the same way.

Tracking speed is tracking speed. Either your guns have the ability to track the target or they don't, and this reduces the applied damage by a degree relevant to how much faster your target's transversal is than your tracking speed.

Basically you're assuming that your turrets are always locked on the ships weak point and hammering away at it, and if you don't have sufficient tracking speed your turrets slip off into a less vulnerable area of the ship.

Turret resolution is different in that it is, as I understand it, a percentage chance to hit the target based upon the targets size as compared to the turrets size, and the distance to the target. Either you hit, or you don't, based upon the formula, it doesn't merely reduce the damage.

I may have it entirely wrong, but that's what I've picked up from various documents that went into fine detail on the subject. The bottom line is that Turret Resolution and Tracking speed are controlling two different mechanics for mitigating damage to the target. The names make it sound like they contradict each other, but from a nuts and bolts perspective they do two entirely different things.
The actual chance to hit formula uses the ratio of sig res to sig rad to modify tracking speed directly. It isn't evaluated individually, but multiplied by the ratio of the tracking factors.

Edit:
ChanceToHit = 0.5 ^ ((((Transversal speed/(Range to target * Turret Tracking))*(Turret Signature Resolution / Target Signature Radius))^2) + ((max(0, Range To Target - Turret Optimal Range))/Turret Falloff)^2)
Bohneik Itohn
#9 - 2014-07-02 23:35:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Bohneik Itohn
Tyberius Franklin wrote:

Edit:
ChanceToHit = 0.5 ^ ((((Transversal speed/(Range to target * Turret Tracking))*(Turret Signature Resolution / Target Signature Radius))^2) + ((max(0, Range To Target - Turret Optimal Range))/Turret Falloff)^2)

Yeah, give me a moment to remember how math works, I only do this about once every 6 months thanks to everything in my life having nothing to do with it.

I saw this in his links, but my eyes just kind of glazed over and I referred back to what I've read before. This seems to be a less confusing way to represent it though.

Edit: And this is where the confusion comes in. The stuff that I read ages ago never showed a correlation between tracking speed and turret resolution, they were addressed as two different calculations. Same procedure if you were to take and mash the two together, but they were supposedly not.

Bad information?

Second edit: Also if you got rid of turret sig res wouldn't tracking computers have a disproportionate effect across turret sizes with the new base tracking speed? Right now there is no way to affect turret sig res that I'm aware of, which means all modules and ammunition with tracking bonuses or penalties wound need rebalancing, and in the case of tracking modules they'd likely have to introduce new versions categorized by size.

Are you a forum alt? Have you ever wondered why your experience on the forums is always so frustrating and unrewarding? This may help.

Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2014-07-03 00:00:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Tyberius Franklin
Bohneik Itohn wrote:
Tyberius Franklin wrote:

Edit:

Yeah, give me a moment to remember how math works, I only do this about once every 6 months thanks to everything in my life having nothing to do with it.

I saw this in his links, but my eyes just kind of glazed over and I referred back to what I've read before. This seems to be a less confusing way to represent it though.

Edit: And this is where the confusion comes in. The stuff that I read ages ago never showed a correlation between tracking speed and turret resolution, they were addressed as two different calculations. Same procedure if you were to take and mash the two together, but they were supposedly not.

Bad information?
Unless the formula has changed I'd say so. The way it works now basically treats it as a tracking modifier.

That said I'm not sure I'm fond of the ops idea if I understand it correctly. If you normalize tracking while removing sig radius concerns you nerf weapons with resolutions larger than the set number you normalized on. IE: a weapon with a sig res of 400 hits other ships with 400 sigs at it's stated tracking, where with the op's proposal and using the example number (100) their tracking would be 25% of what it is now against same size targets.

It would also eliminate the ability to modify how much damage a hull takes with sig tanking without modifying it's base speed accordingly.
Bohneik Itohn
#11 - 2014-07-03 00:05:55 UTC
Tyberius Franklin wrote:
Unless the formula has changed I'd say so. The way it works now basically treats it as a tracking modifier.

That said I'm not sure I'm fond of the ops idea if I understand it correctly. If you normalize tracking while removing sig radius concerns you nerf weapons with resolutions larger than the set number you normalized on. IE: a weapon with a sig res of 400 hits other ships with 400 sigs at it's stated tracking, where with the op's proposal and using the example number their tracking would be 25% of what it is now against same size targets.

It would also eliminate the ability to modify how much damage a hull takes with sig tanking without modifying it's base speed accordingly.

That was bothering me also. It's pretty easy to just break tracking utterly so you can't be touched as it is, wouldn't this make that extreme even more accessible by fitting with that goal in mind?

Aebe Amraen
Dreddit
#12 - 2014-07-03 00:07:27 UTC
Tyberius Franklin wrote:

(snip)

That said I'm not sure I'm fond of the ops idea if I understand it correctly. If you normalize tracking while removing sig radius concerns you nerf weapons with resolutions larger than the set number you normalized on. IE: a weapon with a sig res of 400 hits other ships with 400 sigs at it's stated tracking, where with the op's proposal and using the example number their tracking would be 25% of what it is now against same size targets.

You do not understand it correctly. My proposal, as I stated several times in my OP, changes literally nothing about how damage is applied. It does not remove sig radius as a concern. All it does is simplify the underlying concepts to make them easier to understand.
Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2014-07-03 00:12:53 UTC
Bohneik Itohn wrote:
Tyberius Franklin wrote:

That was bothering me also. It's pretty easy to just break tracking utterly so you can't be touched as it is, wouldn't this make that extreme even more accessible by fitting with that goal in mind?
Depends on the number normalized on. Anything with a sig res below that number gets buffed, and above gets nerfed.
Bohneik Itohn
#14 - 2014-07-03 00:14:08 UTC
Aebe Amraen wrote:
Tyberius Franklin wrote:

(snip)

You do not understand it correctly. My proposal, as I stated several times in my OP, changes literally nothing about how damage is applied. It does not remove sig radius as a concern. All it does is simplify the underlying concepts to make them easier to understand.

And the more I think about it, the more I start to believe it'd take a complete overhaul of every ship and module to rebalance this.

Turret sig res is a static value. Everything else in that formula is a variable that can be changed by the player. What you're asking would make the calculation easier for the player to understand, and make balancing much, much harder because the field of averages suddenly becomes far wider.

Aebe Amraen
Dreddit
#15 - 2014-07-03 00:19:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Aebe Amraen
Bohneik Itohn wrote:

(snip)

And the more I think about it, the more I start to believe it'd take a complete overhaul of every ship and module to rebalance this.

Turret sig res is a static value. Everything else in that formula is a variable that can be changed by the player. What you're asking would make the calculation easier for the player to understand, and make balancing much, much harder because the field of averages suddenly becomes far wider.

You obviously still don't understand. My proposal changes literally nothing about how damage is applied in any case. Every single ship with every single possible fit will perform exactly the same after the change as before. Since it changes exactly nothing, it does not cause any need for rebalancing.

Edit: typo
Daichi Yamato
Jabbersnarks and Wonderglass
#16 - 2014-07-03 00:21:13 UTC
no this does change how the game works. ur assuming the guns are only shooting at targets of their own size.

what turret sig does it makes it sort of arbitrarily difficult for large weapons to hit small targets, and like wise makes small weapons hit large targets extremely well.

So even if a frig is webbed to hell, a battleship is not gonna have an easy time of hitting it. and even if an inty is mwd'ing round a BS, its still going to make good hits.

This somewhat parallels how missiles behave, where small missiles make near perfect hits against larger targets, and large missiles cant hit small targets for **** even when painted and webbed.

TL:DR

EVE FAQ "7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided"

Daichi Yamato's version of structure based decs

Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2014-07-03 00:22:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Tyberius Franklin
Aebe Amraen wrote:
Tyberius Franklin wrote:

(snip)

I guess I'm missing what you mean when you saw "I suggest we do away with it entirely." If we are still using it, just normalized it makes things more confusing as unintuitively, I can hit BS's with radial velocities several times my tracking speed (sig rad greater than normalized sig res), but can't hit frigates moving at even half of that well (sig rad less than normalized rig res). Either way the presented tracking number is still not what it appears. It also means more phantom numbers to deal with, a factor I only recently found out about in missile damage calculation.

Edit: It also doesn't simplify the formula at all, just transforms one factor into a constant.
Aebe Amraen
Dreddit
#18 - 2014-07-03 00:27:18 UTC
Daichi Yamato wrote:
what turret sig does it makes it sort of arbitrarily difficult for large weapons to hit small targets, and like wise makes small weapons hit large targets extremely well.

No, the target sig radius does that. My proposal has nothing to do with sig radiuses.. The turret sig resolution does not do that. My proposal does have something to do with turret sig resolutions.

The number of people telling me I'm wrong in this thread is simply more evidence that the vast majority of Eve players don't understand sig resolution.
Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2014-07-03 00:29:46 UTC
Aebe Amraen wrote:
Daichi Yamato wrote:

No, the target sig radius does that. My proposal has nothing to do with sig radiuses.. The turret sig resolution does not do that. My proposal does have something to do with turret sig resolutions.

The number of people telling me I'm wrong in this thread is simply more evidence that the vast majority of Eve players don't understand sig resolution.
Sig radius does that by directly comparing to sig resolution. It's not independent of it. If sig res goes away sig rad only affects lock time and has no effect on damage or chance to hit. Note that chance to hit directly affects hit quality as well.
Bohneik Itohn
#20 - 2014-07-03 00:31:57 UTC
Daichi Yamato wrote:
no this does change how the game works. ur assuming the guns are only shooting at targets of their own size.

So even if a frig is webbed to hell, a battleship is not gonna have an easy time of hitting it. and even if an inty is mwd'ing round a BS, its still going to make good hits.

This somewhat parallels how missiles behave, where small missiles make near perfect hits against larger targets, and large missiles cant hit small targets for **** even when painted and webbed.

TL:DR

This, which is exactly where you start to see examples of tracking speed breaking down and not working properly under extreme situations. These situations would be exacerbated by making tracking speed, which is a variable, the primary fator.

Having a static in the formula makes it much easier to control the range of the variable, and reduces extremes. Remember that everything that modifies tracking speed goes by percentages. All of that would have to be re-evaluated, because that percentage was not previously being applied to Turret sig res.

123Next pageLast page