These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

EVE end game, a Rich Man's Game?

Author
Aralyn Cormallen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#61 - 2014-07-02 13:52:57 UTC
Belt Scout wrote:

I don't know how anyone can possibly play EvE without a girlfriend/wife. They provide valuable support during fleet ops.

Who else is going to run hot pockets and cheetos down the cellar stairs. Not to mention emptying out the refilled mountain dew bottles.

Blink

This is one of the unmentioned agonies of the warp-speed changes. It didn't used to matter what ship you were flying, you knew how many AU a warp you needed for a toilet-dash or kitchen fly-by. Now its all guesswork, and woe betide you if you are in a T3 and accidentally guage your window of opportunity on when you were flying a battleship!
DownTwisTeD
Doomheim
#62 - 2014-07-02 13:53:01 UTC  |  Edited by: DownTwisTeD
whelp, I don't make 100mil a hr ratting so i'm guessing your to rich anyway, Try 100 mil every 6hrs..

I don't think of these cards as isk as others do but rather what they are time to use in game so if they are to much to buy in game to use vs time to earn they will have no value to me me as that, "like I rather just buy them to use on the site."
Like I play knowing with too much in highend ships and know it so like I make it to costly to play more then the game per say.
Schmata Bastanold
In Boobiez We Trust
#63 - 2014-07-02 14:12:13 UTC
Titania Hrothgar wrote:
Schmata Bastanold wrote:
Clearly you are not married.

Clearly I am. We met on an online game about 15 years ago. She and I play WoW together and I play this.

Oh, I understand now why you said that wife > Eve. WoW players are sensitive and you have to be gentle around them. I know I would do anything only to avoid tears and whine IRL.

:)

Invalid signature format

Deebo Singleton
#64 - 2014-07-02 14:19:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Deebo Singleton
Baron Chauman wrote:
Deebo Singleton wrote:
The current price of PLEX is a reflection of the fact that making isk is easier and demand for them is higher than ever. Therefor you're competing with other irl poors for all those "I gotcha bro," tickets in the market.

Except this isn't quite true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2hsqEvPGWQ
CCP basically confirmed during the economics presentation that the plex price increase is due to speculation/hoarding rather than user demand. It's not other "poors" you are competing with, but rather with people who have too much isk who can't find anything better to do with it than buy plex, since this is considered a relatively safe investment.

Those get even richer, and everyone who relies on grinding for x plex every month either get poorer, have to grind even more or quit/unsub a couple alts. Capitalism simulator operating as intended.

Here is the thing about that brodude. Speculation is demand. Use being delayed doesn't take the plex out of the game or money out of ccp pockets. What the plex price represents is a lot of players thinking that isk is losing its purchasing power and they are correct. Absent the ability to speculate there would be much more volatility in the price and it would be even harder to plex any accounts or sell plex for isk.

Nobody likes speculators, but they are only doing what's reasonable given the state of the game economy. Ultimately this bubble will only subside if lots of high account count players stop using plex and or if isk faucets in the game are reduced.
Inxentas Ultramar
Ultramar Independent Contracting
#65 - 2014-07-02 16:59:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Inxentas Ultramar
An annual sub is 132 euro or whatever. No reason to pay more then that per year.

• Having a capitol and alts to sustain them independently in the first place is a choice.
  • Not using said alts to accumulate enough wealth to PLEX them for free, is a choice.
  • Every account has 2 characters you can skill to do PI, mining, POS stuff, whatever. Not utilizing these slots because you want to min/max your main, is a choice.
  • The need for cyno alts is borne from the unwillingness to trust another player to light one: again, a choice.

So it all comes down to making better choices. Lol
Domanique Altares
Rifterlings
#66 - 2014-07-02 17:43:09 UTC
What is this 'end game?' I didn't realize that every player in EVE was being funneled toward the same goals.
Prince Kobol
#67 - 2014-07-02 17:47:07 UTC
So let me get this straight.

You were able to grind enough isk to buy a super, fit it and knowing NC fitting requirements it means it isn't a **** Fit + implants and your crying about having no isk?

Really?
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#68 - 2014-07-02 17:48:10 UTC
Domanique Altares wrote:
What is this 'end game?' I didn't realize that every player in EVE was being funneled toward the same goals.

You didn't read the manual that came with the EVE Online boxed set? I don't have mine anymore, but I remember it clearly had a section called "Victory Conditions".

They were:

"Conquer 1/half of null sec by making almost everyone blue to you, then sells lots of moon goo till you own all the isk in the game"

or

"Mine Veldspaar in a Dread, in High Sec, and let it be totally legal"

or

"get group of angry nerds to get into ships and bump other angry nerds who are mining, extra EVe win points if you can get them to throw real life threats at them".

So far only 3 guys have won EVE, need to more before CCP will say **** it and do a universal reset Big smile
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#69 - 2014-07-02 18:07:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
Yishna Strone wrote:
....You're complaining about having to pay $540 a year?
Seriously?
As someone has pointed out, that works out to $1.48 a day...If you can't afford to play, maybe you should get a higher paying job?

Heck even in my country macdonalds pays $5 an hour.

Still trying to figure out the $540 figure, as a subscription is only $131.40 per year.
Seven Koskanaiken
Shadow Legions.
#70 - 2014-07-02 18:25:48 UTC
Belt Scout wrote:
Schmata Bastanold wrote:
Titania Hrothgar wrote:
rogue Aldebaran wrote:
Stop spending money on your GF / wife and you should be ok to finance all your accounts with RL money.

girlfriend / wife > Eve

Clearly you are not married.

I don't know how anyone can possibly play EvE without a girlfriend/wife. They provide valuable support during fleet ops.

Who else is going to run hot pockets and cheetos down the cellar stairs. Not to mention emptying out the refilled mountain dew bottles.

Blink

As a blueneck I often make entire 7 course meals while waiting 3 days for a titan bridge.
THCS
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#71 - 2014-07-02 18:26:48 UTC  |  Edited by: THCS
Tau Cabalander wrote:
Yishna Strone wrote:
Seriously?
As someone has pointed out, that works out to $1.48 a day...If you can't afford to play, maybe you should get a higher paying job?

Still trying to figure out the $540 figure, as a subscription is only $131.40 per year.

Sigh... I mentioned the metrics in my first post of what I used in the estimate of that figure.

$15 * 12 (Months in a year) = $180

Take 180 and multiply it by 3 (Three toons) = $540

Boy... you'll need to go back to grade school if you need help with this.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#72 - 2014-07-02 18:28:58 UTC
THCS wrote:
Tau Cabalander wrote:
Yishna Strone wrote:
Seriously?

Sigh... I mentioned the metrics in my first post of what I used in the estimate those fitures.

Isn't a year long sub cheaper?
MatrixSkye Mk2
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#73 - 2014-07-02 18:29:21 UTC
I too would like to own 3 accounts. But I don't because I cannot afford them.

So, what's the moral of the story?

Successfully doinitwrong™ since 2006.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#74 - 2014-07-02 18:30:53 UTC
MatrixSkye Mk2 wrote:

That the OP's “averages” are probably not that average.
Anslo
Scope Works
#75 - 2014-07-02 18:32:59 UTC
I wish it was. I really wanna buy a Jag F-Type. Sadly, Eve is not necessarily a rich man's game.

Just a game for the apex of nerdom.

[center]-_For the Proveldtariat_/-[/center]

THCS
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#76 - 2014-07-02 18:33:10 UTC
MatrixSkye Mk2 wrote:

High plex prices make it harder for you to play without paying $s for subs - which was something achievable for a semi-casual player who plays 10 hrs a week.
Deebo Singleton
#77 - 2014-07-02 18:33:15 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Isn't a year long sub cheaper?

Have a lot to learn about building up a narrative, don't they?
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#78 - 2014-07-02 18:34:25 UTC  |  Edited by: James Amril-Kesh
THCS wrote:
Tau Cabalander wrote:
Yishna Strone wrote:
Seriously?

Sigh... I mentioned the metrics in my first post of what I used in the estimate of that figure.

You should take your own advice.
Year sub is $131.40 as quoted above. $10.95 per month. So for three accounts that's $394.20 per year. Not $540.

No wonder you're poor.

Victor Andall wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
I own two capital ships.
I have one cyno alt.
I don't even use my cyno alt, like, ever.

I have no experience with capitals and supercaps, but a friend once told me that the second you get into a Titan your character becomes an alt for as long as your Titan is alive.

That's pretty true unless you use a holding alt (which is dumb, so don't do it), or you train up/buy a character specifically for the purpose of flying a titan, which is what most people do. It's the same with supercarriers, and the obvious reason for this is the fact that they can't dock.

I own neither a titan nor a supercarrier but even so I figured it was a good idea, when I made the decision to get a carrier, to train up an alt specifically for the purpose of flying it. That alt flies nothing else.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

THCS
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#79 - 2014-07-02 18:39:46 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
[quote=THCS][quote=Tau Cabalander][quote=Yishna Strone]

No wonder you're poor.

Says the guy who paid for eve all these years with real cash. Apparently I'm a couple hundred richer than you because I subbed with plexs I earned...
Gully Alex Foyle
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#80 - 2014-07-02 18:43:24 UTC
THCS wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
[quote=THCS][quote=Tau Cabalander][quote=Yishna Strone]

No wonder you're poor.

Says the guy who paid for eve all these years with real cash. Apparently I'm a couple hundred richer than you because I subbed with plexs I earned...
I'm pretty sure Mr. Warren Buffet spends several million dollars / month more than me but, sadly, that doesn't make me a millionaire.

Make space glamorous! Is EVE dying or not? Ask the EVE-O Death-o-meter!